Random Coaxial

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:44 pm

I love that tune.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:14 am

TheButcher wrote:Sanford and Son Theme

Fievel wrote:I love that tune.

Quincy Jones - The Streetbeater
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:35 am

And that just made my day! :D
Thanks, Butcher!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:39 pm

I just finished season 2 of Bloodline. Fantastic show but season 2 is really lacking the presence of Danny Rayburn. The flashbacks just aren't the same.

Started season 4 of Luther. So far so good.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Crap! I *just* started season 2 of Bloodline. Should I quit while I'm ahead?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:03 am

Ribbons wrote:Crap! I *just* started season 2 of Bloodline. Should I quit while I'm ahead?

Nope, it's still a great season full of twists and turns. Keep watching. I just really miss Ben Mendelsohn's role in the show.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:55 pm

I watched the miniseries, The Night Manager. Pretty solid show. Hiddleston gives a stellar performance.
Aquarius. If you are keen on the 60s, groovy tunes and Charles Manson - check this out. David Duchovny's rather amusing in his role as a FBI agent mixing it up with the Blank Panthers and the Manson family.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 pm

"The Look of Silence" on PBS tonight. I dare you to watch it

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Maui wrote:I watched the miniseries, The Night Manager. Pretty solid show. Hiddleston gives a stellar performance.
Aquarius. If you are keen on the 60s, groovy tunes and Charles Manson - check this out. David Duchovny's rather amusing in his role as a FBI agent mixing it up with the Blank Panthers and the Manson family.

I have The Night Manager on my DVR just waiting to be watched. Definitely looking forward to it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:32 am

Peven wrote:"The Look of Silence" on PBS tonight. I dare you to watch it

holy shit that was a tough watch; heartbreaking, infuriating, horrifying, funny, chilling, touching, incredibly sad

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:25 am

I watched The Look of Silence (and The Act of Killing) recently. Indonesia is pretty messed-up, yo.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:30 am

Ribbons wrote:I watched The Look of Silence (and The Act of Killing) recently. Indonesia is pretty messed-up, yo.

ah, you missed the point then, dude. :( search out the disussions with Oppenheimer and Werner H about the film. it is about so much more than Indonesia......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:15 am

I know, I was being a little glib there on purpose. But still... Indonesia IS pretty messed-up, yo.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:49 pm

what happened and still happens there is horrific, but it is a human story, not an Indonesian story. it is such an unflinching, insightful, and perceptive study of the dynamics of power and how it is wielded in human society. make no mistake,there are very real elements in Trump's allure and the fervor of his followers that are parallel to what went on in Indonesia. do you doubt for a second that if Trump was elected and started upping his anti-immigrant and minority rhetoric that we wouldn't see a rash of attacks and killings against immigrant and minority groups across this country by those who would see Trump's election as a go ahead to act out on their savage impulses? that is the truth in this documentary that ought to send chills down your spine.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:19 pm

More Speilberg than the actual Speilberg these days...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:58 pm

so sorry wrote:

More Speilberg than the actual Speilberg these days...

that looks fuking great. I am one of those that really dug "Super 8" and this has that same feel with even more depth to it

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 am

I just binge-watched Marcella on Netflix. Anna Friel plays one tortured detective. This is a very dark crime drama that is superb. I'm very glad to hear that a season 2 is in the works.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 am

Peven wrote:what happened and still happens there is horrific, but it is a human story, not an Indonesian story. it is such an unflinching, insightful, and perceptive study of the dynamics of power and how it is wielded in human society. make no mistake,there are very real elements in Trump's allure and the fervor of his followers that are parallel to what went on in Indonesia. do you doubt for a second that if Trump was elected and started upping his anti-immigrant and minority rhetoric that we wouldn't see a rash of attacks and killings against immigrant and minority groups across this country by those who would see Trump's election as a go ahead to act out on their savage impulses? that is the truth in this documentary that ought to send chills down your spine.

I'm not going to touch the Trump thing, but I certainly agree that we as Americans have a weird relationship with the past, where we glorify and mythologize the aspects of it that we think make us great, but ignore the unsavory parts and even become angry when reminded of them. In that sense I can see the connection between Indonesian history and our own. What I found interesting and unique about The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence was how recently the genocide was, and how the people who perpetrated it are simultaneously proud and ashamed of what they did.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:what happened and still happens there is horrific, but it is a human story, not an Indonesian story. it is such an unflinching, insightful, and perceptive study of the dynamics of power and how it is wielded in human society. make no mistake,there are very real elements in Trump's allure and the fervor of his followers that are parallel to what went on in Indonesia. do you doubt for a second that if Trump was elected and started upping his anti-immigrant and minority rhetoric that we wouldn't see a rash of attacks and killings against immigrant and minority groups across this country by those who would see Trump's election as a go ahead to act out on their savage impulses? that is the truth in this documentary that ought to send chills down your spine.

I'm not going to touch the Trump thing, but I certainly agree that we as Americans have a weird relationship with the past, where we glorify and mythologize the aspects of it that we think make us great, but ignore the unsavory parts and even become angry when reminded of them. In that sense I can see the connection between Indonesian history and our own. What I found interesting and unique about The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence was how recently the genocide was, and how the people who perpetrated it are simultaneously proud and ashamed of what they did.

kind of like the civil rights marches here where white Americans hurled racial slurs and threw rocks and bricks at them while the police beat therm and set their dogs on them and how those same white people are still around waving their rebel flags, a hold-over from the civil war when their forefathers fought to keep slavery, and talking about pride in their white southern heritage. you mean like that??? ever heard of the groups like Sons of the Confederacy or Daughters of the Confederacy? that is the problem with people in this country, we like to think we are better than everyone else in the world, the whole, "it couldn't happen here" mentality. :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

I was just saying the details of what's going on in Indonesia makes it a more interesting example, not that we are somehow superior to them.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:I was just saying the details of what's going on in Indonesia makes it a more interesting example, not that we are somehow superior to them.

I think the outward differences are what help draw the viewer into the depiction of such a horrific event, but as the film unfolds I think that an awareness should start creeping in that this is the same old story of the desire for power over others and the lengths that people will go and justifications they will use for their actions no matter how brutal. the same that has happened and still does happen here, just dressed up in a different culture.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Ribbons wrote:I'm not going to touch the Trump thing

always a wise policy

also

that's what she said.

Ribbons wrote:but I certainly agree that we as Americans have a weird relationship with the past, where we glorify and mythologize the aspects of it that we think make us great, but ignore the unsavory parts and even become angry when reminded of them.

George W. Bush wrote:Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: ‘Deadly Class’

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:06 pm

CBR Mon, December 16th, 2013:
EXCLUSIVE: REMENDER & CRAIG DETAIL THE "DEADLY CLASS" CURRICULUM
For Marcus Lopez, each day at King's Dominion High for the Deadly Arts is an exercise in survival -- literally. His classmates are the children of the world's most prestigious crime families, each one uniquely equipped to expel him permanently. But Marcus is tough, a survivor, with a strong ethical code and a kindness that has caught the attention of the school's administration. Fresh off the streets and newly enrolled to become an assassin, Marcus finds himself facing the same disenfranchised, dangerous social negotiations as any high school kid in 1987 -- except the stakes for him are much higher.

In January, wildly-talented writer Rick Remender, up and coming artist Wesley Craig and colorist Lee Loughridge launch their newest Image Comics series, "Deadly Class." With it's dark, underground vibe and a cast of characters steeped in the iconic subcultures of the late '80s, this is a very personal story for Remender, who drew on his teenage experiences among punks and outcasts to create the story. Remender joined Craig to speak with CBR News about the series, which he believes will be a high point in his prolific career.

CBR Fri, December 4th, 2015:
REMENDER HINTS AT TV DEALS FOR "DEADLY CLASS," "BLACK SCIENCE"

Deadline:
‘Deadly Class’ Comic To Be Adapted As TV Series Produced By Joe & Anthony Russo
Nellie Andreeva wrote:Just as comic book fans are descending on San Diego for Comic-Con, I hear a TV series adaptation of Image Comics’ Deadly Class has come together with the comic’s co-creator/writer Rick Remender and Captain America and The Avengers directors Joe and Anthony Russo. The package is set at Sony Pictures TV and is expected to be taken out shortly, targeting cable networks and streaming services.

Written by Remender and Miles Feldsott (form. Field), the Deadly Class TV series is an unlikely coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of late 80’s counter culture which follows a disillusioned teen recruited into a storied high school for assassins. Maintaining his moral code while navigating a ruthless curriculum, vicious social cliques, and his own adolescent uncertainties may prove fatal.

Remender, the Russo brothers and Feld executive produce alongside Adam Targum (Banshee), who will serve as showrunner, and Mike Larroca, president of Russo’s Getaway Prods.

Deadly Class, which Remender co-created with artist Wes Craig, was launched in 2014. Veteran comic book writer Remender is best known for his work on Marvel Comics’ Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force, and Venom. He also has written/co-created such comics as LOW, Black Science, Tokyo Ghost, Fear Agent, Strange Girl, and Last Days of American Crime.

Remender is attending Comic-Con and will be at the Image booth on Friday 1-2 PM and Saturday 4-5 PM.

Coming off directing Marvel’s Captain America: Winter Soldier and Civil War, the Russos are helming the upcoming two-part Avengers: Infinity War. They started in TV and won an Emmy for directing the pilot of Fox’s Arrested Development.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:37 pm

looks....maybe good...?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: ‘Bill Nye Saves the World’

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Netflix’s ‘Lost In Space’

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:50 am

Deadline:
Taylor Russell To Play Judy Robinson In Netflix’s ‘Lost In Space’ Remake
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Anyone catch Designated Survivor? I watched the first episode and I'll likely stick around for more to see how it plays out. Not sure if I'm blown away like many of the critics are but it's definitely an engaging hour and Kiefer's pretty solid in this.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Yeah, I mean I don't know. It's an interesting concept, but I don't know if I want to watch the adventures of Random Cabinet Dude. Plus I've been trying not to commit to too many shows as it is.

While I'm here, I thought The Night Of was a great miniseries.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:28 pm

I saw it. It was entertaining enough. I like the leads enough to keep watching.
This fall seems to have a lot of shows that intrigue me. I'll probably end up missing some shows, and that's too bad. There seems to be a lot of new shows that cover all possible genres - highbrow shows that make you think about it all week long, and lowbrow guilty pleasure shows that you'll never admit to watching in the first place.

I'm currently watching The Night Of. I thought I'd binge it a few episodes at a time....nope. The slow pace and poor desicions of the lead character make it difficult to watch for me. And that's not a negative criticism! It's just painful watch at times (as it's meant to be) and I need some time to digest each episode before I move on to the next one.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Fievel wrote:I saw it. It was entertaining enough. I like the leads enough to keep watching.
This fall seems to have a lot of shows that intrigue me. I'll probably end up missing some shows, and that's too bad. There seems to be a lot of new shows that cover all possible genres - highbrow shows that make you think about it all week long, and lowbrow guilty pleasure shows that you'll never admit to watching in the first place.

I'm currently watching The Night Of. I thought I'd binge it a few episodes at a time....nope. The slow pace and poor desicions of the lead character make it difficult to watch for me. And that's not a negative criticism! It's just painful watch at times (as it's meant to be) and I need some time to digest each episode before I move on to the next one.

I just watched the first couple episodes of The Good Place on Hulu, that's kind of fun. There are mini-ethics lessons in each episode (like legit philosophical tracts, not just "being bad is bad"), which is interesting. It's from the Parks & Rec. team, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you felt about that show. But anything with Ted Danson AND Kristen Bell is at least watchable. And I already know that "bullshirt" is going to be one of those things that I start saying ironically but end up saying all the time.

I'd love to talk with you about The Night Of once you get closer to the end. Naz certainly made some bad decisions, but I feel a little defensive when people criticize him (or worse, the show itself) for being stupid. For one thing it's hard to tell how anybody would react in that situation, especially whacked-out on a cocktail of drugs and alcohol, but the other thing is that no matter what he says I felt, deep down, he never knew for sure that he didn't actually do it (and neither do you, yet).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:22 pm

The pain that watching him make bad decisions caused...is part of what makes the show work for me at this point - because it does feel real.

BTW, the pilot for This Is Us....possibly one of the best pilot episodes I've ever seen. I don't know that the show can match the pilot episode, but I'm more than willing to give it a chance.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Fievel wrote:The pain that watching him make bad decisions caused...is part of what makes the show work for me at this point - because it does feel real.

BTW, the pilot for This Is Us....possibly one of the best pilot episodes I've ever seen. I don't know that the show can match the pilot episode, but I'm more than willing to give it a chance.

I'm on episode 4 of The Night Of. This show is superb. John Turturro is so good in this. What is going on with the DA? She comes across as a recent stroke victim.

There is a lot of good buzz for This is Us. I am going to check this one out.

I watched Speechless. I was pleasantly surprised. It's quite funny. Minnie Driver is quite the powerhouse.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yeah, I mean I don't know. It's an interesting concept, but I don't know if I want to watch the adventures of Random Cabinet Dude. Plus I've been trying not to commit to too many shows as it is.

The show has some hokey aspects to it and I really don't like Maggie Q's role. Not a good casting choice.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:56 am

Ribbons wrote:I'd love to talk with you about The Night Of once you get closer to the end. Naz certainly made some bad decisions, but I feel a little defensive when people criticize him (or worse, the show itself) for being stupid. For one thing it's hard to tell how anybody would react in that situation, especially whacked-out on a cocktail of drugs and alcohol, but the other thing is that no matter what he says I felt, deep down, he never knew for sure that he didn't actually do it (and neither do you, yet).

Finally finished The Night Of.
Loved it.

The ending as a whole (courtroom to the end) was so brutally tense. I kept waiting for something bad to happen to Naz on his exit from jail. I knew that the scene was just echoing his entrance to Rikers, but with Freddy's unicorn speech and the show's knack for shitting on Naz, I expected blood.

I loved the various endings that ranged from tragic to Hollywood to poignant.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:45 pm

Fievel wrote:The ending as a whole (courtroom to the end) was so brutally tense. I kept waiting for something bad to happen to Naz on his exit from jail. I knew that the scene was just echoing his entrance to Rikers, but with Freddy's unicorn speech and the show's knack for shitting on Naz, I expected blood.

Yeah, me too. I thought for sure the axe was gonna fall on Naz before he made it out of those gates.

I was a little annoyed at the time at the (mostly) happy ending -- the cynical cop and the cynical D.A. having changes of heart and going after the real killer, Naz being freed and coming home, even John Turturro going back and saving that fucking cat. But in hindsight, I'm glad. Not everything has to be relentlessly tragic like The Wire. Sometimes you need a win. And they still did a good job of demonstrating how the system can fail the unlucky, and how even people who make it out of prison are changed for the worse. Is Naz addicted to heroin now? Will he ever be able to re-adjust to society? These are questions the show leaves unanswered.

The one I really felt bad for was Chandra, the assistant who takes over Naz's case. Possibly the most idealistic character, she got exploited and tossed aside by everybody else.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:40 pm

i had no doubt after the end of that show that Naz was doomed to a life of being in and out of jail for various drug and assault offences.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 pm

'Duck Dynasty' Producers Put on Leave at ITV Amid Fraud Investigation (Exclusive)
The news comes four years after the U.K. TV giant bought the independent production company best known for 'Duck Dynasty.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Duck Dynasty'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:16 pm

'Duck Dynasty' Producers Fired and Sued by ITV Studios (Exclusive)
The news comes days after Scott and Deirdre Gurney were temporarily suspended amid an internal fraud investigation.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:16 pm

what a shame. where ever will we turn to for quality television now?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/09/politics/ ... pprentice/
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:12 pm

THR:
'Duck Dynasty' Creators Fire Back at Fraud Lawsuit
Scott and Deirdre Gurney soon will be filing a suit of their own.

Deadline:
‘Duck Dynasty’ To End On A&E After Five Years
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:53 am

i preferred the Penthouse Channel version anyway: Fuck Dynasty
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:04 am

Louis C.K.'s "Horace and Pete" is on Hulu now. I'm only a couple episodes into it but it sure is something. If you get the chance I highly recommend listening to C.K.'s most recent appearance on the WTF Podcast where he talks about the process of creating the show.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: 'Metropolisville'

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:21 am

'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail Developing Miniseries Based on Sci-Fi Classic 'Metropolis' (Exclusive)
The adaptation of Fritz Lang's 1927 film hails from Universal Cable Productions.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:25 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Louis C.K.'s "Horace and Pete" is on Hulu now. I'm only a couple episodes into it but it sure is something. If you get the chance I highly recommend listening to C.K.'s most recent appearance on the WTF Podcast where he talks about the process of creating the show.

Wait is it free on Hulu? Did I spent U.S. dollars on that crap when I coulda VPNd in for free a couple months later???
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:36 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Louis C.K.'s "Horace and Pete" is on Hulu now. I'm only a couple episodes into it but it sure is something. If you get the chance I highly recommend listening to C.K.'s most recent appearance on the WTF Podcast where he talks about the process of creating the show.

Wait is it free on Hulu? Did I spent U.S. dollars on that crap when I coulda VPNd in for free a couple months later???

Uh, yes?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm

I watched the entire season of The Crown on Netflix. This is a top notch series with superb acting by Claire Foy, John Lithgow and Dr. Who (aka Matt Smith). The story line for Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend's ill-fated love affair is heartbreaking to watch. Can't wait for season 2.
Maui
WoWie

Re: NETFLIX's The Crown

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Maui wrote:I watched the entire season of The Crown on Netflix. This is a top notch series with superb acting by Claire Foy, John Lithgow and Dr. Who (aka Matt Smith). The story line for Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend's ill-fated love affair is heartbreaking to watch. Can't wait for season 2.

Hans Zimmer - The Crown Main Title (2016)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: NETFLIX's The Crown

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Maui wrote:I watched the entire season of The Crown on Netflix. This is a top notch series with superb acting by Claire Foy, John Lithgow and Dr. Who (aka Matt Smith). The story line for Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend's ill-fated love affair is heartbreaking to watch. Can't wait for season 2.

Hans Zimmer - The Crown Main Title (2016)

Hans Zimmer brilliance.
Maui
WoWie

Re: ‘The Wizard of Oz and Television’

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 pm

‘Emerald City’ Review: NBC’s ‘Wizard of Oz’ Retelling Is a Weird, Wild Ride
If you're a fan of 'Once Upon a Time' then you may have a new obsession.

Emerald City Is So Shallow That It Almost Appears Deep
NBC’s ambitious Emerald City, premiering tonight, is occasionally stunning, sometimes emotionally interesting, and often an audacious reimagining of not just The Wizard of Oz, but all of L. Frank Baum’s Oz books. But mostly it’s as empty as the Scarecrow’s brain.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm

'Duck Dynasty' Creators Sue ITV for $100M, Claim Extortion
"My clients will not be intimidated by their outrageous, strong-arm tactics to acquire my client’s interest in Gurney Productions at a massively discounted price," says attorney Michael Weinsten.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial