Random Coaxial

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:33 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Now if only someone would put Hollyoaks out of it's misery.

God only knows what I'll do if I bump into Phil Redman one of these days
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:

He was on the radio the other day, talking about 'what TV should do in the age of youTube' and other such stuff. Despite his crimes, he does seem to have his head screwed on the right way, IMO, and seems to be one of the few prominent telly people who properly 'get' the Internet.

So basically, if I met him, I'd shake his hand for that, then deck him for 'Hollyoaks' and spit in his eye for 'Brookside'...
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:42 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:

I'm going to set fire to him.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 pm

silentbobafett wrote:OC SHUT DOWN: THANK FUCK INDEED

LOST and the flashbacks: I get why they're there! I think a 5 year old can work that out! But just cos they are there for that reason doesn't mean it always works and some times you really wonder what the fuck they're on about!

The best thing that can happen to Lost is get cancelled! Either that or they sort themselves out! Because I can't but help feel you are being led up the garden bath.

I'll put my kids college fund on a bet right now: that hints, ideas and storylines set up in the first series or so of Lost will NOT be solved or finalised when it all ends.

The simple reason is that they kept shoving in so many and getting so carried away that there is no way they can solve them all. IF, however, they solved some, gave more clues to a few etc as the went along... then I would trust in the film more

I just don't think the show I loved in the first year (I was looking proud at my model last night while blaring that awesome score out of me stereo) will have anything much to do with the fnal series...in a bad way :-)

Oh no you don't matey - you can't have it both ways!

You understand how flashbacks work, sure - but clearly for you they don't work in LOST. Ergo, in the context of LOST, you don't 'get' them.

But don't feel bad - OC is out on DVD, you'll be fine :P
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:54 pm

NOOOOO!

I know how stories work as well but in Uwe Boll films I don't!

Sorry does that mean I don't get them or that they don't work cos its shit? :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:55 pm

DOH! I came on here to ask if anyone posted the season restart dates that Herc did on the main site?

I want to know when Heroes, Studio 60, Lost (!) and Desperate Housewives restarts!

Thanks SBF :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:46 pm

I just watched the musical episode of SCRUBS and it SUCKED BIG TIME. I was so excited for this particular episode and it was as bland as possible. I mean talk about a let down.

Complete and utter rubbish.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I just watched the musical episode of SCRUBS and it SUCKED BIG TIME. I was so excited for this particular episode and it was as bland as possible. I mean talk about a let down.

Yeah, it didn't really accomplish anything, did it? It didn't generate laughs; it's as if the producers/cast just did it to try to show off or something. Points for effort, but negative points for execution.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:40 pm

buster00 wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:I just watched the musical episode of SCRUBS and it SUCKED BIG TIME. I was so excited for this particular episode and it was as bland as possible. I mean talk about a let down.

Yeah, it didn't really accomplish anything, did it? It didn't generate laughs; it's as if the producers/cast just did it to try to show off or something. Points for effort, but negative points for execution.

Exactly! And that was compounded by the press release the writer sent in to Herc asking him to pimp this episode. In the release he takes a lot of pot shots at Buffy's musical episode and talks about how proud he is of this episode and how Buffy's songs all "sounded the same".

After people took offense he removed the negative comments and deleted the TB's that made mention of them...so HE brought up the comparison...which is bad for Scrubs. Because that episode advanced the plot in a major way (Buffy reveals she was in heaven, she kisses Spike) and the songs stuck in your head spawning a soundtrack and a sing-a-long event that tours nationally.

The Scrubs musical was as bland as possible...barely furthering the plot of the show and providing almost no memorable tunes. This is the first episode I can remmber not laughing ONCE. I didn't laugh. Nor did I feel any emotion from the supposed drama. This was a musical episode just for the sake of raising awareness with a flashy gimmick. For shame, Scrubs.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:38 am

Considering the shorter format, and Scrubs' much less emphasized narrative - it's a sitcom that often relies on a series of skits, with little story going on - I thought the musical ep was good. Perhaps not as many laughs, but the songs were fun and the brain tumor patient story line worked nicely. Not on par with 'Once More With Feeling', but it also seemed like it was the actual cast members were singing (something that cant, I think, be said for Buffy) - a nice little musical showcase episode.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:43 am

tapehead wrote:Considering the shorter format, and Scrubs' much less emphasized narrative - it's a sitcom that often relies on a series of skits, with little story going on - I thouhgt the musical ep was good. Perhaps not as many laughs, but the songs were fun and the brain tumor patient story line worked nicely. Not on par with 'Once More With Feeling', but it also seemd like it was the actual cast members were singing (something that cant, I think, be said for Buffy) - a nice little musical showcase episode.

I totally disagree.

Tonight, I was watching the episode from the second season when the lady died and it turned into a musical for a bit and it was excellent. That is what the show should have been like...but it wasn't. Most of the time it just seemed like the actors were just speaking their lines...with a hint of a tune in their voice instead of, you know, SINGING them. There have been so many musical portions of the show (the aformentioned and the "We're a Surgeon and a Doc..." thing) not to mention Ted's Band...that this should have been a showstopper. All the ingredients were there.

The show has been really solid over its run...I was really expecting this to be an excellent showcase of the talent and charm that makes the show so incredible. But it fell way flat for me. I garuntee that I will be skipping over this episode when the DVDs come out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:49 am

I see your point, they might indeed be better off leaving this aspect to occasional interludes, like we've had with Teds Barbershop quartet - but I thought their 'duet' with Carla was a standout number, and I guess I just kind of enjoyed it to see such a different ep of the show.

It doesn't come off great in comparison to Buffy, but then, what does

It sure as hell wasn't 'Cop Rock'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:58 am

tapehead wrote:I see your point, they might indeed be better off leaving this aspect to occasional interludes, like we've had with Teds Barbershop quartet - but I thought their 'duet' with Carla was a standout number, and I guess I just kind of enjoyed it to see such a different ep of the show.

It doesn't come off great in comparison to Buffy, but then, what does

It sure as hell wasn't 'Cop Rock'

Oh 'Cop Rock'...

Just saying the title of the show is enough to cause an instant chuckle...that is 'Cop Rock's' legacy.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:20 pm

I am not a Scrubs watcher, per se. But if it's on and I am totally bored, I might watch it. Sometimes it seems to be pretty funny, but a lot of times it seems to be REALLY annoying/grating/sophomoric. Anyway, after all the hype about the musical episode, I decided I HAD to watch.

Oh man, That was really crappy. I also found it really annoying/grating/sophomoric. I didn't really care about the sow one way or another, but now I hate it. GOOD JOB!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 pm

I was pretty sure it was the cast members singing in Once More With Feeling. That's why Hannigan got maybe 10 lines and sound fucking atrocious. And when Anya sings it's definitely her, she's really good too.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:27 pm

The Scrubs musical - about 60% of it worked for me. The idea of the patient hearing music was good one. I just don't as much of the episode needed to be musical. It would have played nicely next to more of the usual dialogue.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The Scrubs musical - about 60% of it worked for me. The idea of the patient hearing music was good one. I just don't as much of the episode needed to be musical. It would have played nicely next to more of the usual dialogue.

They should have been more selective with their choice of songs. More dialogue would have been nice...some sort of advancement of the plot. They only have 20 minutes to use.

Had they only had a few numbers...but strong ones...and not hyped the shit out of this episode...they could have made a much more effective episode.

I have no rating system per se, but this episode would get an F, 1 star, two thumbs down...whatever it is you'd like.

This episode just failed.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:00 pm

I'm sure some people would use the musical episode as evidence of the show "jumping the shark".

I don't think so. But, for me, it is the first real blip the show has had. Which is good for a programme in it's sixth year.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I'm sure some people would use the musical episode as evidence of the show "jumping the shark".

I don't think so. But, for me, it is the first real blip the show has had. Which is good for a programme in it's sixth year.

Oh I am right there with you. This show has been spot on for 5 whole seasons and change. That is incredible. Before this episode I couldn't think of a single sub par episode. The show can definitely rebound. In fact I fully expect it to. I chalk this episode up to the creators wanting to do something a bit different and falling short. It happens.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:16 pm

i find Scrubs mildly amusing, mildly entertaining, but confess to missing what makes it so great to others. not judging, to each his/her own, i just think it is one of those shows that appeals to a particular taste. maybe age has something to do with it???

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Are you that old, Peven?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Are you that old, Peven?

uh, 39. is that "that old"???? it seems as if Scrubs appeals to the 20-something crowd, and i could see myself getting into it more when i was at that age too, i guess, which is why i threw in the age reference.
Last edited by Peven on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:44 pm

39????!!!1?!?!?

I wouldn't consider it old, but I get what you mean about a possible target audience.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to side with Dr Cox?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 am

I would just like to say, I didn't think it possible, but Orlando Bloom was actually funny! (I mean intentionally) I saw the episode of Extras he was on and he had me belly laughing.

Loved all the stuff about Johnny Depp.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:32 pm

OK, I gave "The Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show" one more chance the other night. I caught the first episode and I hated it. David Koechner makes me laugh, though, and the promos looked funny, so I wanted to like the show.

But after watching it again, I gotta give it the thumbs down. When you've got a show that makes "The Red Green Show" look edgy by comparison, you've got a show that really, really sucks.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:45 am

"Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" is on.

I want to move away...soon.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby buster00 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:20 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:"Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" is on.

I want to move away...soon.

Dude, isn't it amazing?

Highest rated premiere for a Fox series...ever.

Having "Idol" for a lead-in sure couldn't hurt, but Jeee-zus Jones.

I can't bring myself to watch. I already have enough contempt for Americans.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 am

buster00 wrote: I already have enough contempt for Americans.

man I know, if it weren't for some of my family, friends, coworkers and the americans in here I'd be extremely worried.

I just have to remember...STUPID PEOPLE MAKE FOR GOOD TV!!!!

at least that's what I tell myself...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:STUPID PEOPLE MAKE FOR GOOD TV!!!!

It's like you're reading my MIND, man!

Having said that, I just couldn't bring myself to watch this... simply because of Jeff Foxworthy. How is it that this man has built a career empire on ONE JOKE?!?!?
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby tangerine on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:45 pm

OT: yo CKK, pleasure meeting you, haven't seen you before. one farking freaky av you got going there.

back to topic: my roomie made me watch Australian Princess yesterday. I was :shock: - has anyone seen it? what is the deal? haven't we come any further than this? I mean, that ugly butch chick with way too much make-up, what is it she calls herself, 'Expert of Etiquette'..... that woman needs to get laid.
Last edited by tangerine on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm excited that the US ganked Richard Aoyade for their version of "The IT Crowd".

Maurice Moss is the Steve Urkel for the new millennium.

Now, if only they'd get Noel to reprise his role as Richmond the goth boy...
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 pm

tangerine wrote:OT: yo CKK, pleasure meeting you, haven't seen you before. one farking freaky av you got going there.

back to topic: my roomie made me watch Australian Princess yesterday. I was :shock: - has anyone seen it? what is the deal? haven't we come any further than this? I mean, that ugly butch chick with way too much make-up, what is it she calls herself, 'Expert of Etiquette'..... that woman needs to get laid.

Oh... did that show make it over here...

hell... that flopped big time back home, I'm shocked that it was sent over. Must have been a package deal with Neighbours... (same production company and network I beleive)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:Oh... did that show make it over here...

hell... that flopped big time back home, I'm shocked that it was sent over. Must have been a package deal with Neighbours... (same production company and network I beleive)

Australians have never done anything good for this country I tell you!

Neighbours my arse.

Noooo we love you really. Except for the douchebags who made that show.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm

I know a guy who wrote for it for a while... an ex-bf of a good mate.

and my dad wrote for it in the 80's, and A Country Practice... he did a few eps of that. :oops:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:13 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:I know a guy who wrote for it for a while... an ex-bf of a good mate.

and my dad wrote for it in the 80's, and A Country Practice... he did a few eps of that. :oops:

:shock:

you're banished from tomorrow's meetup!

nah not really.

but your dad is.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm

:lol:....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Not sure where to put this one... I'm sure a Mod will set me straight, but this seems appropriate...

Over in the 3 Men Seeking Monsters thread someone mentioned Ted Danson, and it reminded of this TV film he was in in the mid-80s called When the Bough Breaks, based on the book by Jonathan Kellerman. Danson starred as child psychologist Dr. Alex Delaware and Richard Masur starred as Detective Milo Sturgis. This was the first in a series of books, but the movie didn't continue the series.

In any event, I remember it as being really good, and I was surprised by Danson at the time, showing some real range apart from the comedies that he had been locked into at the time. The subject matter was pretty raw for a TV movie of the time as well.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby buster00 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:51 pm

Just bumping this to proclaim my love for "Andy Barker, P.I." Every comedy should have writing that good.

Nice that (for now) it's on the same night as "Earl," "Office," and "Scrubs." That's some TV worth staying home for.

(I've never watched "30 Rock," but I hear good things.)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:58 pm

30 Rock is so awesome, and renewed. Thank God!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby buster00 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:14 am

It's not entirely true that I've never watched "30 Rock." I did catch a few minutes of it earlier tonight since NBC's schedule was all wonky. What I saw was pretty good.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 am

I don't know... there's no Robot Chicken thread (shame on you Zone!) and it's not really a full blown Star Wars thing so I'll post it in here.... I think it sound friggen fantastic! Thanks to Tapes introduction to this RC I've been an avid fan ever since.

hehehe... one of the clips is about Darth Vader calling Emperor Palpatine to tell him that the Death Star has been blown up. :D

[quote]George Lucas & Seth Green Collaborate On Adult Swim's
ROBOT CHICKEN: STAR WARS!!

Actor-writer-director Seth Green has concocted “Robot Chicken: Star Wars,â€
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:36 am

No love for Robot Chicken and Star Wars is seems...:(
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:40 am

Has anyone been watching the new series of peep show (series four)??? I can't understand why these guys went and made 'that mitchell and webb look' it is dire by comparison... Peep Show however is brilliant...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:41 am

MonkeyM666 wrote: I beleive that one is found on Google Video.

That was pretty funny, but I don't know, a half an hour of it might be a bit too much.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:45 am

I'll have to have a look at the video tonight. It was a bit of a blind post my my behalf... just going by the series and the few grabs I've seen I'm very excited.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:45 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Has anyone been watching the new series of peep show (series four)??? I can't understand why these guys went and made 'that mitchell and webb look' it is dire by comparison... Peep Show however is brilliant...

I made a thread for it in Coaxial, enjoy!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:52 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070430/tv_nm/ski_dc;_ylt=ApPs8G08f07lEK44_g4N8YFxFb8C

Yahoo Article wrote:LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The founder and former president of the Tennis Channel is launching another sports-themed channel, this time focusing on activities that can be done on mountains in summer and winter.

Steve Bellamy's company, Atonal Sports and Entertainment, is set to launch the Ski Channel -- an advertiser-supported network with distribution on video-on-demand (VOD) and multimedia platforms -- as early as first-quarter 2008. Bellamy said the channel has a long-term affiliation agreement with Time Warner Cable but declined to give specific details.

The network will focus on sports including skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, camping, climbing, cross-country skiing, rock climbing, backpacking, orienteering, kayaking and caving as well as numerous off-slope activities. The majority of the content is original and will consist of entertainment, reality, news, destination, travel, real estate, equipment, instruction and magazine shows as well as professional mountain sport events.

Bellamy, who calls himself an "avid psycho skier," said he had the idea for the channel more than 10 years ago, before launching the Tennis Channel.

"We are going to be providing content in everything you can do on a mountain, and since that's literally hundreds of activities, it's well-served by VOD since consumers will be able to get specific content (when they want it) and not be encumbered by having to wait through the television wheel of a linear network," said Bellamy, who was president of the Tennis Channel for seven years before leaving in May.

Bellamy added that user-generated content featuring great stunts and big crashes also will be part of the network's programming.

In addition, the Ski Channel has reached charter-advertising agreements with such brands as Panasonic, Mirage Resorts, Marquis Jets and Fender Guitars.

"The Tennis Channel has probably done more for the sport of tennis than anything since Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs (in 1973), and I certainly hope the Ski Channel will do the same for the mountain industry," Bellamy said.

Bellamy is the founder and CEO of Atonal, which owns tennis and golf facilities in and around Los Angeles as well as media businesses including Atonal Films and Television and Palisades Studios.

I think this is cool news. Personally, anytime winter sports are on TV I watch. It doesn't happen to come up often in America but the Winter X-Games are sexy and so are the little events they show on Saturday afternoons on CBS etc. I will be pretty stoked if this turns out to be something worthwhile. And FREE.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Thu May 03, 2007 3:01 pm

i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Thu May 03, 2007 3:07 pm

The Todd wrote:Gilmore Girls canceled

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Good.

That is all.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 04, 2007 5:27 pm

This is about as "random" as it gets, but it's tangentially related to television...

Holy shit! I mean, I know it's the General Lee, but jesus...

CNN wrote:'General Lee' auction ends at almost $10M
If bids are real, 1969 Charger owned by actor John Schneider has sold at close to a record for any car.
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com
POSTED: 4:40 p.m. EDT, May 4, 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- If the bids are real - and the eBayMotors.com auction was stopped once for fake bidding - a modified 1969 Dodge Charger, painted to look like the General Lee from the TV Show "The Dukes of Hazzard," nearly became the most expensive car ever auctioned.

The auction closed at $9,900,500 at 1:00 pm Friday. That puts it just $1.1 million away from the $11 million paid for a 1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royale Sports Coupe sold by the auction house Christie's in 1987. To date, that is the highest price ever paid for a car at auction, according to Christie's.

The car was used in the show, which typically went through several cars per episode during its 6-year production run in the early 1980s. But this one is owned by John Schneider, who played Bo Duke in the series, a role that was only slightly less central than that of the car.

"I'm excited as I can be but I'm not going to believe it until my banker calls and says 'buy me a beer'," said Schneider after the auction ended.

As the auction progressed, eBay officials contacted several of the top bidders and were assured that their bids were genuine and that the bidders could afford the millions they were bidding, said eBay spokeswoman Catherine England.

A winning bid on eBay consititutes a legally binding contract, England said.

After an earlier run-up in the bidding which went as high as $6.7 million, eBay officials disqualified several bids as facetious.

After that, all bidders on the car were required to register before bidding.

The car was also used in the 2000 TV Movie "The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood," a Dukes reunion film. Recently, it had a central role in the movie "Collier & Co., Hot Pursuit," a limited-release film produced by, directed by, distributed by and starring Schneider.

Schneider decided to auction the car in order to finance production of a sequel to that film.

Asked if the price may have gone so high because bidders wanted to help Schneider makes his next film, Scheider replied: "They sure weren't around the first time I was trying to raise money."

Ordinarily, a production-used General Lee would be worth about $150,000 to $200,000, said McKeel Hagerty, president of Hagerty Insurance, a collector car insurance company. About 20 of those are known to exist in reasonably good condition.

The opportunity to buy the car from "Bo Duke" himself would add some value, he said. But not millions of dollars.

"There is no basis in my experience in the collector car world to justify that kind value," Hagerty said of the eBay bids.

At the time Hagerty made that statement, bids for car had reached only $2.7 million.

Schneider owned the car even before its use in "The Dukes of Hazzard." He leased it to Warner Bros. for its original on-screen appearances.

The car has been extensively modified since then.

"I do something nice for the General about once a year," said Schneider.

The car now has a 725 horsepower Hemi motor, Dodge Viper brakes and a roll cage, all of which allow it to race at over 200 miles per hour.

Unlike the those on the TV character General Lee, this car's doors do open. There is a scratch near the driver's side window where Schneider, as Bo Duke, jumped into the car. Schneider left the scratch, figuring it only increases the car's value.

"On a scale of coolness of 1 to 10," said Schneider, "this has got to be a 12."

"The Dukes of Hazzard" centered around Bo Duke and his cousin Luke, played by Tom Wopat, working to undo the evil plans of the powerful and corrupt J.D. "Boss" Hogg, played by the late Sorrell Brooke.

Every episode included at least one spectacular car chase over the dirt roads of the fictional Hazzard County, Georgia.

"It speaks to the passion around the show and how iconic the General Lee is," said Andy Holeman, vice president of consumer marketing for Country Music Television, said of the auction when bids had reached $2.7 million.

CMT airs nightly reruns of the show and sponsors the annual DukesFest in Nashville Tenn., an event that last year attracted 70,000 people and about 150 cars painted to look like the General Lee.

This year about 200 "General Lees" are expected at the June 2-3 event.

"The show, the car, is a phenomenal thing that is embedded in the American consciousness," said Ben Jones, the actor who played the mechanic Cooter Davenport on the show. He also served as a congressman.

In a 2004 survey conducted by Hagerty Insurance the General Lee was named America's most popular TV or movie car. The second most popular was the 1968 Mustang driven by Steve McQueen in the movie "Bullitt."

Bidding on Schneider's General Lee closed at about 1:00 pm eastern time on Friday.

When production on Schneider's planned "Collier & Co." sequel gets rolling, Schneider said, he'll have to start gathering all the pieces.

"My first call has got to be to the people who own the car," he said on Thursday.

He'll need to rent it back from them.
Lord Voldemoo

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial