Random Coaxial

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:00 pm

I just watched the ending on Youtube, it's pretty crap by today's standards.

ETA: And because it's a new page...

papalazeru wrote:
tfactor wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
tfactor wrote:Hey Zoner homies,

I really need some help figuring out a TV Show I think that I watched back in the day, but I tried looking through tons of old Twilight Zone & the Outer Limit episodes but I am not sure it was one of these.

Anyway the plot was these military scientists find a force field / Dome which they can look into but the occupants can't see out of. Whats inside looks like a 1800s human family with a younger daughter included. so one of the scientists falls in love with the girl and eventually finds a hole in the protective barrier and is able to Get In. However once he is inside - the creatures that looked like humans turned out to be complete Monsters that pray on humans. So the guy gets killed and I think it ended with one of the Monsters banging on the inside of their shield trying to figure out where he (the scientist) got through / got in, so that they could come to our world & start eating people.

Does that sound at all familiar to anyone???? Its been driving me crazy all day and I just want to know that this was an actual TV show and not a dream that I should be writing up to create into a short story :)

Anyway if you have any idea what I am talking about - please let me know. It was from a while back but how far I can't be sure. Though I seem to remember that it was in Color! So likely somewhere close to 1995 maybe... give or take 10 years :?

PLEASE HELP?!?!?
Love
T

FIGURED IT OUT! God, I knew that I'd seen it somewhere too.

it's from a Twilight Zone-esque show from the early 2000s called Night Visions. The episode is called A View Through the Window

Wow Moo! I bow before the bovine

you kind sir are awesome-est-ever!

Your story and Volde's find made me convinced I needed to watch this.

And here it is.

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:05 pm

John-Locke wrote:I just watched the ending on Youtube, it's pretty crap by today's standards.

papalazeru wrote:
tfactor wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I really need some help figuring out a TV Show I think that I watched back in the day, but I tried looking through tons of old Twilight Zone & the Outer Limit episodes but I am not sure it was one of these.

Anyway the plot was these military scientists find a force field / Dome which they can look into but the occupants can't see out of. Whats inside looks like a 1800s human family with a younger daughter included. so one of the scientists falls in love with the girl and eventually finds a hole in the protective barrier and is able to Get In. However once he is inside - the creatures that looked like humans turned out to be complete Monsters that pray on humans. So the guy gets killed and I think it ended with one of the Monsters banging on the inside of their shield trying to figure out where he (the scientist) got through / got in, so that they could come to our world & start eating people.

Does that sound at all familiar to anyone???? Its been driving me crazy all day and I just want to know that this was an actual TV show and not a dream that I should be writing up to create into a short story :)

Anyway if you have any idea what I am talking about - please let me know. It was from a while back but how far I can't be sure. Though I seem to remember that it was in Color! So likely somewhere close to 1995 maybe... give or take 10 years :?

PLEASE HELP?!?!?
Love
T

it's from a Twilight Zone-esque show from the early 2000s called Night Visions. The episode is called A View Through the Window

And here it is.

YOU CAN'T QUOTE ME. HOW DARE YOU!!

I'LL BAN YOU !!!!!

Oh wait, I'm not logged in as my 2Pay alt. Damn.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 pm

John-Locke wrote:I just watched the ending on Youtube, it's pretty crap by today's standards.

papalazeru wrote:
tfactor wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

PLEASE HELP?!?!?
Love
T

And here it is.

Heh, yeah, they never are quite how you remember them. Usually the concepts are quite a bit more interesting than the execution, in retrospect. Still, I love the way that the old Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Amazing Stories, etc. episodes stick with you. When I was trying to figure this out I was going through an old Twilight Zone episode list with brief synopses and I kept going "OH YEAH. I REMEMBER THAT ONE. IT WAS TERRIFYING". I probably should avoid re-watching them at this point as they are much better in my memory than they probably actually were.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:29 pm

papalazeru wrote:
tfactor wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

PLEASE HELP?!?!?
Love
T

And here it is.

ha! what the hell is henry rollins doing there?

i vaguely remember this show (the show, not the actual episode). i've got a soft spot for all those horror/sci-fi anthology shows, like this one and tales from the darkside and tales from the crypt.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

papalazeru wrote:
tfactor wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

PLEASE HELP?!?!?
Love
T

And here it is.

Heh, yeah, they never are quite how you remember them. Usually the concepts are quite a bit more interesting than the execution, in retrospect. Still, I love the way that the old Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Amazing Stories, etc. episodes stick with you. When I was trying to figure this out I was going through an old Twilight Zone episode list with brief synopses and I kept going "OH YEAH. I REMEMBER THAT ONE. IT WAS TERRIFYING". I probably should avoid re-watching them at this point as they are much better in my memory than they probably actually were.

Its so true about our memories enhancing the actual quality of things from our past. But I still want to rewatch this when I get a sec. Nice find guys and thanks for the link. I fucking love the zone and I just wish I could get another minimal demand job that would allow me to participate / play with you guys more often but alas work has my nose to the grind stone. Anyway I love that you guys are so much my Ka-Tet that you were able to locate this tough to find show. I searched all day before asking, you guys never cease to impress - long live the zone!!!!!

Love
-Trev
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Re: Franklin & Bash

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am

They had a first season?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:59 am

so sorry wrote:

They had a first season?

Yeah! It was excellent.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Re: Star Trek

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Norman Lear's Pro Wrestling Show

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:12 pm

TheButcher wrote:From THR.com: Norman Lear sets HBO project
Aaron Blitzstein to write 1970s pro wrestling drama
By Nellie Andreeva

Oct 1, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

In his first major collaboration with HBO, TV icon Norman Lear has teamed with the premium cable network for a drama series project set in the world of 1970s pro wrestling.

Written by Aaron Blitzstein and produced by Lear's Act III Prods., the character-driven drama, tentatively titled "Everybody Hurts," revolves around a family running a pro-wrestling business in New York and peeks into the lives of the wrestlers and their fans.

Lear and Act III's Lara Bergthold, who are executive producing the project, had been looking to do a show about pro wrestling for a while.

"Pro wrestling is a pretty fair reflection of good and evil in our culture," Lear said.

Added Bergthold, "Wrestling is where people turn to when they feel the government is lying to them and there are no real heroes in their lives."

The two met with Blitzstein to discuss a different show idea when the conversation turned to Blitzstein's career, which includes a stint with World Championship Wrestling.

Blitzstein is a late bloomer as a writer. He started off working in the music representation business, working with such bands as Foo Fighters and Sonic Youth, and spent a couple of years as vp marketing for WCW before moving to Los Angeles in 2004 to pursue a career as a writer.

"Every day was the greatest day ever and the worst day you could possibly imagine," Blitzstein recalls about his time at WCW. "I've never seen more colorful people than pro wrestlers."

The three started developing a pro-wrestling show and almost immediately decided to set it in the early days of the sports entertainment phenomenon, before it became a billion-dollar industry.

"It was more of mom-and-pop type of feel back then," said Blitzstein, who is drawing on his memories as a wrestling fan growing up in Baltimore and New York. "And it was a little bit more ridiculous and fun."

Lear, Bergthold and Blitzstein, a co-exec producer on "Hurts," also found a lot of similarities between the political and economic climate in the '70s and today.

"It was post-Watergate, and the U.S. was dealing with an energy crisis and the Iran hostage crisis," Blitzstein said. "Now we're dealing with the Bush administration, our soldiers in Iraq and the skyrocketing gas prices. The show is as much about family and politics as it is about wrestling."

There will be comedic touches, especially in the portrayal of the wrestlers, that will employ Blitzstein's comedy writing background on such shows as "Late Show With David Letterman" and "Crank Yankers."

His career took a dramatic turn with FX's "The Riches," leading to his project for HBO.

"I feel I just hit the trifecta -- between writing about wrestling, working with Norman Lear and working with HBO," said Blitzstein, repped by CAA and attorney Peter Grant. "It's incredible. I don't have to work for the rest of my life."

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Maybe The Rock will get to play his dad again.

From Deadline:
NBC Buys Dwayne Johnson-Bruckheimer Wrestling Drama Set In 1980s
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:NBC is getting in the ring with a put pilot commitment to a drama about the 1980s professional wrestling boom that is executive produced by one of the biggest ’90s wrestling stars, Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock. The fictional drama set in the world of wrestling in the ’80s hails from Bruckheimer TV, marking a departure from the company’s signature brand of procedurals. It will be written by Brent Fletcher and Seamus Kevin Fahey (Spartacus: Gods of the Arena), who will co-executive produce alongside KristieAnne Reed. Johnson, Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman are executive producing.

The ’80s, often called “the golden age of wrestling”, marked a surge in the popularity of professional wrestling in the U.S. fueled by the growth of cable television and pay-per-view and the efforts of hot-shot promoters like Vince McMahon. During that period, pro wrestling shifted from a system controlled by numerous regional companies to a system dominated by two nationwide companies: Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling and McMahon’s World Wrestling Federation. It featured the launch of WrestleMania and the emergence of wrestling’s first crop of superstars led by Hulk Hugan. The project extends the popularity of period dramas among the broadcast networks, which have two such series, the 1960s-set Pan Am on ABC and The Playboy Club on NBC, premiering this fall. It also expands wrestling’s presence at NBCUniversal. NBC’s sibling network USA carries WWE Raw as well as the revival of WWE Tough Enough. This is the third sale and third put pilot commitment for Bruckheimer TV so far this development season. The company recently set up a Navy SEALs drama at ABC and a procedural about a mom-turned-New York State Trooper at CBS. Fahey, repped by UTA and Underground Films & Management, previously worked with Bruckheimer TV as a writer on the ABC series The Forgotten. Fletcher is with CAA.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm

MSNBC has named a permanent host for its 6 p.m. program: Al Sharpton. I predict outrage from the right, stunned disbelief from the left, laughter from the Rev. Sharpton as he counts his money.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: The Blues Brothers

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 pm

From Variety:
'Blues Brothers' readies for primetime - Belushi, Beatts write script as possible series
Stuart Levine wrote:Jake and Elwood Blues are on a new mission: to find a place in primetime.

A new incarnation of the Blues Brothers, the duo made famous by John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd in the late 1970s, is about to be pitched to studios and networks in the form of a new TV series.Current TV rights have long been owned by Aykroyd and Judy Belushi -- John's ex-wife -- while Universal owns the film rights. Belushi and former "Saturday Night Live" writer Anne Beatts, along with Wayne Catania and Kieron Lafferty, have penned a pilot.

Script has the pair out of jail and Elwood, who was raised in an orphanage, looking for his real dad. Casting has yet to be determined.

Beatts, Belushi and Eric Gardner of Panacea Entertainment would exec produce. Aykroyd will participate in the project as the voice of Jake and Elwood's parole officer.

The Blues Brothers debuted in a 1978 "Saturday Night Live" episode hosted by Steve Martin. The popularity of Belushi's and Aykroyd's characters quickly took off, and soon the pair went on to form a band that toured the country. A bigscreen pic, 1980's "The Blues Brothers," directed by John Landis, grossed more than $100 million worldwide.

After Belushi died in 1982, Aykroyd kept the spirit of the Blues Brothers alive. He was an investor in the nationwide House of Blues venues and often toured and sang with John's brother, Jim Belushi, as the Blues Brothers. A movie sequel, "Blues Brothers 2000," was released in 1998.

"I think these are great American characters," Judy Belushi told Variety. "We want to keep them alive. We chose to introduce them as new characters but do it in an way that they have some history, have some life behind them."

Added Beatts: "We're not trying to replicate Dan and John but Jake and Elwood."

If the pilot goes to series, each episode would include a musical number, presumably featuring a new Blues Brothers band.

"It would be 'Route 66' meets 'Glee,' and it all goes to hell in a handbasket," Beatts said.

Gardner is hoping that, in addition to a TV series, there would also be branding opportunities for Blue Brothers merchandise, including the Bluesmobile.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mike Tyson

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:07 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Secret Stash coming to AMC

Reality based show about a day in the life of a comic book store (yes, the one owned by Kevin Smith).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:13 pm

so sorry wrote:Secret Stash coming to AMC

Reality based show about a day in the life of a comic book store (yes, the one owned by Kevin Smith).

At this rate, all kinds of stores will be covered. It can only end with a show about people who buy things online.
An hour of over the shoulder shots of people bidding to win on ebay auctions, or browsing amazon. (I wouldnt be surprised if this already exists)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby theangiechrist on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 am

For you Sons of Anarchy fans, Danny Trejo makes his debut tomorrow night.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:15 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Does anybody watch The Fades on BBC? A friend recommended it to me, but a quick stop over at IMDb shows that the the user rating for the show is pretty dismal.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 pm

So I have to admit that I will be watching 2 and a Half Men tonight (for the first time actually) just to see how they handled Charlie Sheen's departure. :oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:19 pm

so sorry wrote:So I have to admit that I will be watching 2 and a Half Men tonight (for the first time actually) just to see how they handled Charlie Sheen's departure. :oops:

let us know how it goes. i've caught bits and pieces of old reruns while flipping through the channels. i really don't get the appeal of that show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:So I have to admit that I will be watching 2 and a Half Men tonight (for the first time actually) just to see how they handled Charlie Sheen's departure. :oops:

let us know how it goes. i've caught bits and pieces of old reruns while flipping through the channels. i really don't get the appeal of that show.

There is ZERO appeal to the show, which makes it so annoying when I read how strong the Neilson ratings are for it. Its a fucking cash cow for CBS, and damned if I know anyone who watches it (or admits to it).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:59 pm

So it's the second coming of Home Improvement . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:12 am

TheBaxter wrote:

So... the show opens with a funeral for Charlie. We find out that a jilted lover (who gives part of the eulogy) pushed him in front of a moving train, obliterating his body (thus the closed casket). The room is filled with hot women that Charlie had bedded in the past, who would occasionally call out things like "he gave me herpes!" and whatnot. Cue laugh track. Later on, Mr Demi Moore shows up as a distraught suicidal BILLIONAIRE with an enormous penis (cue laugh track). The other guy (Jon Cryer) takes Big Dick out to a bar to cheer him up, and is later left hanging by himself as Aston beds two women at once (cue laugh track). At this point I stopped watching (even though the show probably had 2 minutes left). I'm guessing that Kutcher's role will be exactly the same as Charlie Sheen's: he's banging broad after broad while Cryer stands by and gets none. As I said earlier, the popularity of this show boggles my mind...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm watching it now on CBS.com and the cameos are doing nothing for me (John Stamos and Dharma and Greg)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 pm

it sounds to me like there are more (genuine) laughs in this 60 second commercials than in that entire show:

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: DALLAS

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby swoop91 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 pm

TerraNova any1?
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:16 pm

swoop91 wrote:TerraNova any1?

I've seen a couple of eps of that. It's awful.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby theangiechrist on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:05 pm

I tried, but I'm not feeling the vibe on TerraNova, either. Maybe the whole Jurassic thing has been beaten to death. The story didn't really grab me that tightly, either.
theangiechrist
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby swoop91 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 pm

DINOSAURS?
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Re: The Magicians

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ye Black Knight on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:43 am

theangiechrist wrote:I tried, but I'm not feeling the vibe on TerraNova, either. Maybe the whole Jurassic thing has been beaten to death. The story didn't really grab me that tightly, either.

Verily, for this knight be'ith consumed with gridiron battles to view this saga, and had hopes it would be'ith presented once again come spring (after a football champion be'ith crowned).
'Tis a sour discovery that lacking in quality, it be! This knight had wish'eth'ed to view towering reptiles hunting and dining upon a terrified populace, whom hath been banished from our world!

This post now concludeth!
VIEW THIS KNIGHT'S WEB'TALES OF METAL, PRESENT'ETH'D IN YE ART OF PURE CINEMA:
http://www.heavymetalsuperstar.com
Ye Black Knight
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby swoop91 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:54 pm

okay, after this episode, this show TerraNova is really Terribad.
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:24 pm

swoop91 wrote:okay, after this episode, this show TerraNova is really Terribad.

Fantastic premise. Some decent actors (Lang, O'Mara). But man... the stories they tell in this world are just horrible! Not only that, but the dinosaurs look about as good as they did in Jurassic Park - amazing in 1993 but horribly dated now. And any sense of mystique or mythology in a TV series these days feels like a forced Lost-wannabe.

I'll give it a few more episodes before I write it off.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby swoop91 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:29 pm

I want to know how 6ers communicate with 22whatever, I want to know about the son that draws math on stones at waterfalls.
I want to know why and how do dinos get high on nikal, and I want more black guys in the show.

I want to know when they can open portal, why is it one-way trip and how to close it permanently. Then go off as a "stranded island"
thing just in past. Politics, drama and inbreeding ftw
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:54 pm

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Holy shit! What freaking residential area is behind a firing range like that?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:23 am

so sorry wrote:

Holy shit! What freaking residential area is behind a firing range like that?

I'm guessing an inexpensive one.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 am

From AICN Dec 01, 2008:
THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY May Yet Unfold In Live Action! And Animation?
Beaks here...

Two years ago, it appeared that Stephen Daldry was locked in to direct the long-awaited adaptation of Michael Chabon's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY. His stars: Tobey Maguire as Sam Clay, Jamie Bell as Josef Kavalier and Natalie Portman as Rosa Saks.

Well, that didn't happen. In an April 2007 interview with DETAILS, Chabon, who also wrote the screenplay, lamented that "...it just completely went south for studio-politics kinds of reasons that I’m not privy to." Bummer.

But no project is ever completely dead in Hollywood. There's always the possibility of resurrection - especially when you've got the backing of a tenacious producer like Scott Rudin. With that in mind, I decided to ask Mr. Daldry at today's L.A. press junket for THE READER about the state of KAVALIER & CLAY. Here's what he had to say:

Mr. Beaks: I wanted to briefly touch on one project that's been of great interest to our readers: THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY. You were attached to direct the film a few years ago.

Stephen Daldry: Indeed!

Beaks: It was one of those films that seemed to be constantly "in development". Then, in 2006, it was suddenly on the brink of production. And then... nothing. Michael Chabon has said the stall-out was a result of studio politics. What do you think? Is it something you could see yourself directing at some point?

Daldry: Oh, absolutely. It would be great. I sincerely hope Paramount picks it up at some point.

Beaks: So you're still technically "attached"?

Daldry: As far as I'm concerned, I am. (Laughs)

Beaks: Structurally, that's another story [like THE READER] that poses challenges in terms of whether you adopt a linear or non-linear approach.

Daldry: Also, how much you use the comic books and how much you don't. How much is animated? Do you use animation? How do you use animation in comic books? What's the difference between the two? That was one of our big discussions. I spent a lot of time with different animators exploring ways to animate comic books.

Beaks: You know, it could be that the book is finally ready to be filmed. We're just getting to the first major deconstructive "superhero" work with WATCHMEN. Perhaps KAVALIER & CLAY has benefited from the delay. Now that the comic book film is further along, people are more familiar with the history of the medium and its conventions.

Daldry: Maybe you're right. Maybe it's a good time to remind people who wrote them and who created them and why they were created. And how central they were to a generation of immigrants coming to the United States from Europe and what the superhero was originally speaking to and speaking about.

Had I been on my toes, I would've pressed Daldry on the style of animation and the degree to which that might get away from the more static, panel-based medium of comic books. Blending the pulpier elements of Chabon's story with the straightforward dramatic stuff will be quite a challenge (and I must say that I never considered animation). Then again, Daldry has just pulled off a half-erotic/half-tragic film about a love affair between a fifteen-year-old boy and a thirty-six-year-old former guard at Auschwitz. I'm very confident in his ability to manage tone.

Don't get your hopes up, but it is encouraging to know that Daldry is still quite enthusiastic about the material. Let's hope Rudin is, too.

I'll have my full interview with Daldry next week (in advance of THE READER's 12/10 limited release).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 am

From Collider:
Stephen Daldry Wants to Adapt Michael Chabon’s THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY as 8-Part HBO Miniseries
Adam Chitwood wrote:A feature film adaptation of Michael Chabon’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay has been in the works for nearly a decade now. The book was published in 2000 and centers on two Jewish cousins who collaborate during World War II to work on a new American novelty: the comic book. The novel spans multiple continents and and culminates in the dawn of the Golden Age of comic books. Soon after its publication, producer Scott Rudin began work on a feature film adaptation. After years of troubles adapting the expansive book into a succinct feature script, director Stephen Daldry (The Reader) signed on to take the helm. Numerous actors were rumored to be involved (Natalie Portman, Andrew Garfield, and Tobey Maguire), but the project found itself lodged in development hell.

Steve recently got the chance to speak with Daldry about his upcoming drama Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (also produced by Rudin), and the director revealed that he’d now like to adapt the novel into an 8-part miniseries for HBO. Hit the jump to see what he had to say.

In his interview with Daldry, Steve asked the director if he would ever consider working in TV given the fantastic storytelling currently taking place on the small screen, and Daldry answered affirmatively:
“I would love to do something for TV…I wanna do Kavalier & Clay on HBO as an eight-parter. It’ll be so much better as a series, honestly.”

First off, it’s assuring that Daldry hasn’t given up on Kavalier & Clay given the difficult development period the project has gone through. More interesting, though, is the fact that Daldry has an exact number in mind for how many installments a miniseries adaptation of the novel would take. It sure sounds like he’s been thinking about a miniseries iteration for a while, and it appears he’s figured out just how to split it up.

When asked whether or not he has the rights to the book, Daldry had this to say:
“What a good question. Well I spent a year working on it with Michael Chabon, so we’re pretty close. And the rights, good question. Will Paramount give them to me? I don’t know.”

While I’m not super familiar with Kavalier & Clay, after looking into the book and seeing how enthusiastic about the adaptation Daldry is, it’s quickly become a must-read for me. HBO is home to some of the best storytelling of any medium, and this seems to fit perfectly into their wheelhouse. I sincerely hope Daldry gets his wish. You listening Paramount and HBO? Make this happen.

Here’s the full transcript, followed by a synopsis for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay:
Steve: TV has become huge with such excellent storytelling on channels like AMC, FX, and HBO, is there any desire for you to do anything in the TV world?

Stephen Daldry: I would love to do something for TV.

Is there something that’s been bubbling up?

Daldry: Yeah I wanna do Kavalier & Clay on HBO as an eight-parter.

That is where it deserves to be, I love that book.

Daldry: It’ll be so much better as a series, honestly. If you could put that in the article and ring up HBO and tell them that’s what I wanna do, I’d really appreciate it.

Oh I have no problem doing that. Do you have the rights or is this just like the dream?

Daldry: What a good question. Well I spent a year working on it with Michael Chabon, so we’re pretty close. And the rights, good question. Will Paramount give them to me? I don’t know.

You guys need to do that. HBO is where it deserves to be.

Daldry: It’ll be a really good one. It’d go great with Boardwalk Empire.

the-amazing-adventures-of-kavalier-clay-book-coverHere’s the synopsis for Michael Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bloo on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

TCM is showing Kubrick's FEAR AND DESIRE, so set those DVR's or get ready to hit the *cough*torrents*cough* tomorrow
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:02 pm

David Bianculli has his top picks of the past year here. I would have subsituted Community for Modern Family but can't really argue with the list
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: GOODFELLAS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 pm

From Collider September 22nd, 2010:
GOODFELLAS TV Series in the Works
Brendan Bettinger wrote:Maybe it’s a ripple from the splash of Boardwalk Empire. Maybe series adaptations of hit films from the nineties are simply en vogue right now. Maybe it’s even a good idea. No matter the motivation, the powers that be are developing a television series based on the 1990 Martin Scorsese mob classic Goodfellas, co-written by Nicholas Pileggi. According to Deadline, Pileggi will likely script “at least the pilot episode,” with producer Irwin Winkler expected to board the project as well.

From Digital Spy Oct 26 2010:
'Goodfellas' TV prequel confirmed
Tom Eames wrote:A TV series based on the classic gangster movie Goodfellas has been confirmed after months of rumors.

Nicholas Pileggi - author of Wiseguy, the original book on which Goodfellas is based - and director Martin Scorsese are said to be involved in planning the TV series, which will be a prequel to the movie.

The series is likely to be based on the early life of Henry Hill, the lead character played by Ray Liotta in the original film.

Pileggi told Culture magazine: "I want to do it, Marty wants to do it, Warner Bros wants to do it. Of course, you can't pick up from Goodfellas, since we murdered everybody, or rather, everybody was murdered! There's nobody left.

"But I think we're going to figure out a way to do the early years - sort of a prequel."
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 pm

From Deadline Wednesday September 22, 2010 :
‘Goodfellas’ TV Series Has Town Jumping; But Will Majors Align To John Gotti Jr. Pic?
MIKE FLEMING wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
It’s turning out to be an interesting week for projects based on organized crime. Just as HBO’s Boardwalk Empire was renewed for a second season after one superb Martin Scorsese-directed pilot episode, I’m told that there’s a hot new TV project in the offing: a series version of Goodfellas, the 1990 Scorsese mob classic written by Nicholas Pileggi. My sources tell me that Pileggi’s likely to write at least the pilot episode. Warner Bros TV is in lead position to grab the series — the studio distributed the original pic — though several studios want it. Scorsese’s participation is unclear, but Irwin Winkler is likely to be the TV exec producer.

This information came my way on the same day that John Gotti Jr announced he’s set up his rights for a feature film that purports to tell a “father-son story” about growing up the son of John Gotti Sr, the Dapper Don who headed the Gambino crime family. Gotti Jr has aligned with Fiore Films, which claims it will start production in March. “During the past 20 years, there have been numerous made-for-television movies, books and other representations about me, my father and our family,” Gotti Jr. said in a statement. “None of these projects were done in cooperation with my family and in most cases did not accurately reflect our lives. This film will not be a mob expose, but rather the true story of my life and relationship with my father.”

I previously wrote about Gotti Jr’s plans to pen his memoirs and set up a feature film and documentary just before he gave that 60 Minutes interview. Based on how little he said in that interview last April, I’m not sure what Jr is bringing to the table. He spoke as if he was anticipating frustrated federal agents and prosecutors to look for a way to try him again. Gotti Jr. went through four criminal prosecutions that ended in mistrials, with the feds finally announcing they’d given up and wouldn’t seek a 5th. Gotti Jr did serve a total of 9 years in jail, 3 in solitary confinement, accused of heading the Gambino crime family despite his claim he’d left the crime game for good in 1999.

But will any major studio or distributor want to be associated with a film that puts a positive spin on Gotti Jr or his father, or that puts money in Jr’s pockets? When Sammy “The Bull” Gravano wrote a memoir with Peter Maas, survivors of his victims reportedly filed $25 million in damages lawsuits. While Jr’s plan has been to use proceeds to pay his past legal bills and fund a youth center to steer kids from lives of crime, there will be inevitable controversy.

Authorized crime stories are tricky, and Goodfellas was a rare occasion when access to a participant led to paydirt. In this case, it was Henry Hill, played in the movie by Ray Liotta and who eventually ratted out the mobsters played by Robert De Niro and Paul Sorvino. (Joe Pesci’s character had already been bumped off by then). Pileggi, who first told Hill’s story in a book, told me a few years ago why things worked out so well for him and Scorsese: “In Goodfellas, Henry Hill opened up and gave up everything,” Pileggi said. “He had the pressure of testifying under oath, and, if they caught him in a lie, he was going to prison and he’d have been dead in 10 minutes. I was just lucky enough to be like a stenographer as this guy talked about what it was like to want to be gangster. You could never have made that stuff up.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm

From Deadline
‘Goodfellas’ Series In The Works At AMC With Film’s Nicholas Pileggi & Irwin Winkler
NELLIE ANDREEVA wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
AMC’s 1960s mad men may be soon joined by some goodfellas from the same era. The cable network, home of such acclaimed series as Mad Men and Breaking Bad, has put in development a series version of one of the most praised movies of all time, the 1990 Martin Scorsese mob classic Goodfellas. Nicholas Pileggi, who wrote the movie based on his non-fiction book Wiseguy, is on board to co-write the TV series adaptation with TV writer-producer Jorge Zamacona (Homicide: Life On The Street). The two will executive produce with the film’s producer Irwin Winkler and his son David. Warner Horizon Television, the cable TV production sibling of Warner Bros, which distributed Scorsese’s film, is producing the series.

The idea of turning Goodfellas into a series with Pileggi and Irwin Winkler on board has been percolating for a while. My colleague Mike Fleming wrote first about it in September 2010. The movie Goodfellas, which Pileggi co-wrote with Scorsese, stars Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci and follows the rise and fall of the Lucchese crime family associate Henry Hill (Liotta) and his friends from 1955 to 1980. It was nominated for six Oscars, including Best Picture and director, and won one, for best supporting actor (Pesci). In addition to Goodfellas, Pileggi has another 1960s drama project in the works, Ralph Lamb at CBS. James Mangold is attached to direct the project, based on the true story of Ralph Lamb, a cowboy-turned-Las Vegas sheriff in the ’60s and ’70s. After starting off with original concepts (Mad Men, Breaking Bad), AMC has been betting on series based on source material recently with The Walking Dead, based on a graphic novel, and The Killing, based on a Danish series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 am

Has anyone watched Hell on Wheels? Can anyone tell me if it is worth it?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial