30 Rock

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

30 Rock

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:36 am

So i finally sat down and watched the "OTHER" fake SNL show on NBC.

I really liked the pilot. The show was funny as hell. It did have a couple of moment were it stated to lose me a bit, but over all, i really liked it.

Not to mention that it just builds my crush on TINA FEY even more.

DAMN YOU FOR TWISTING MY EMOTIONS WITH YOUR GEEKY BEAUTY TINA FEY!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby freak2thec0re on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:16 am

30 Rock's getting better with every episode, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. Doesn't take itself the least bit seriously, and I love it. The latest episode cracked me up.

i loved Tracy Morgan's advice he gives to the gopher guy:

"Live every week of your life like it's Shark Week"

"Dress every day like those the clothes you gonna get murdered in"

and that blonde secretary girl . . . damn, she is hot. DAMN.
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:14 pm

I have to say, I'm really falling for this show. I thought the pilot pretty much blew, but the show's been surprising me with some really genuine laughs.

Here's one exchange I love, where Liz comes to Tracy after pissing off her entire writing staff:

Liz: Tracy, we gotta do something...
Tracy: Let's crash my car and see if the airbags go off!

F-ing hysterical, I tells you.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:26 pm

Yea I started watching it as well. I still get 30 Rock and Studio 60 mixed up. Tina Fey is pretty funny.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brainiac on Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:54 am

Kudos to Alec Baldwin's comic timing as the big wig large and in charge.

And who doesn't love a poker game episode?
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby John-Locke on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:51 am

I'm loving Baldwin in this show, it's a funny show but it's all about the Baldwin, I loved the bit when he just walked off all self conscious about what his arms should be doing.

If the show doesn't get picked up for a second season I can totally see Baldwin being asked to front his own show.

I hated the pilot but even Tracy has grown on me now to the point where he is my second favourite character behind Baldwin.

Tina Fey is very cute too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:28 am

This show is GOLD.

Plus Tina Fey is very hot.

Like a college professor-f***-her-for-a-good-grade-then-fall-in-l ove-against-your-better-judgment kinda hot.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:31 am

I've seen the last few esipodes of this. I shied away from it a little bit when it first debuted, but it's actually pretty funny. Definitely holds its own with the other Thursday night sitcoms. Loved this little scene from Thursday night's ep where Tracy Morgan's batshit insane character fails the screening process for some Scientology-like club:

"I believe that the moon doesn't really exist. I believe that vampires are the best golfers in the world, but they'll never be able to prove it! I believe that there are 31 letters in the correct alphabet. What was the question again?"
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

30 Rock

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 am

Did anyone ever see this beating out Studio 60 on the Sunset strip?

The show is 4 bits of brilliant.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:44 pm

This show is so snarky. I love it.

I keep hearing Liz Lemon reminds people of me, I'm not sure whether to be happy or scared.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:51 pm

Yea I love this show too. Tina Fey is so hot! Geeze...

I got a good laugh out of the phone calls earlier in last nights episode. Tracy started dancing while the other two talked. Hilarious!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Just when I think I really hate Tracy Morgan's character, he lectures a pigeon on eating out of the trash.

My favorite line was Alec Baldwin's though. "I thought you made love like an ugly girl, so grateful and in the moment."
Lady Sheridan
RED

30 Rock

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Just when I think I really hate Tracy Morgan's character, he lectures a pigeon on eating out of the trash.

My favorite line was Alec Baldwin's though. "I thought you made love like an ugly girl, so grateful and in the moment."

BEST LINE EVER!!!!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:12 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Just when I think I really hate Tracy Morgan's character, he lectures a pigeon on eating out of the trash.

BEST LINE EVER!!!!

Hahahaha...

Awesome.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:45 pm

I'm glad they didn't let Baldwin opt out of his contract, and I hope he's truly having fun with the show. It's his best role in years.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby VegasRon on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:58 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm glad they didn't let Baldwin opt out of his contract, and I hope he's truly having fun with the show. It's his best role in years.

I heard him on the Adam Corolla show a few months ago before I had even watched a single episode. His enthusiasm for the show is what got me to watch it. Now it's my fave comedy on TV. Well, that and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I love that show.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:25 pm

VegasRon wrote:
Fievel wrote:I'm glad they didn't let Baldwin opt out of his contract, and I hope he's truly having fun with the show. It's his best role in years.

I heard him on the Adam Corolla show a few months ago before I had even watched a single episode. His enthusiasm for the show is what got me to watch it. Now it's my fave comedy on TV. Well, that and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I love that show.

Good to hear he's still enthused. After the debacle regarding the phone call to his daughter, he tried to get out of his contract with the show so that he could take care of his personal life.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

30 Rock

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Fievel wrote:
VegasRon wrote:

Good to hear he's still enthused. After the debacle regarding the phone call to his daughter, he tried to get out of his contract with the show so that he could take care of his personal life.

The show would be crippled with out baldwin.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Crimson King on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:42 am

Watched this last Thursday's episode tonight....The "Midnight Train to Georgia" sequence at the end was great. Man, I love this fucking show. Sooo funny.

Alec Baldwin is such the man. One of my favorite scenes is the one where Tracy sees the pshyciatrist in Donaghy's office and Donaghy imitates Tracy's mother and father (apparently Redd Foxx??). Also love the scene where the three Donaghy men are about to fight each other and they're using fist names. The way Baldwin delivers his lines in that scene is priceless..."Now I'm gonna let St. Andrew and St. Patrick DO MY TALKIN' FOR ME!!!!" Hilarious!

There are so many other classic moments in this show.

And yeah, I have a mild crush on Ms. Fey. She's certainly got that cute as hell geek factor going.
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:59 am

i fucking love 30 Rock.

everyone on the show, from Toofer to Frank and his hats to Cerie (oh, good lord, Cerie) is exceptional, spot-on performances from all involved...

but my favorite character is without a doubt Dr. Leo Spi-CHEM-in.

too many lines and notable sequences to even begin listing just one, but I LOL at least 3-4 times per ep, with many, many a chuckle or flat out guffaw for good measure.

I don't frequent coaxial too much, but I'm shocked that this show hasn't generated more discussion...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I don't frequent coaxial too much, but I'm shocked that this show hasn't generated more discussion...

I know, I have to say I am too! It's usually on right before "The Office," and that thread's chugging along nicely (not now, obviously, but you know, when it's on an' shit). I don't really watch either on a regular basis, but this is a genuinely funny show that seems like it would have some geek appeal (also multi-camera and sans laff track, wink wink nudge nudge). I saw about 4 episodes from the first season, and loved each one. I should probably buy the thing on DVD.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:54 am

While we're 'fessing up, I recently watched series one on DVD and I'm now catching up on season two - up to ep six. Although my main attraction to the show is best summed up by a willingness to watch Baldwin, Fey and Morgan pretty much do anything so long as involved the occasional snide, 'fey' cynical barking mad exchanges of banter, I think it's also the best comedy ensemble since Arrested Development, and cameos by the likes of Carrie Fischer and Will Arnett, Isabella Rossellini and Rip Torn have brightened up proceedings too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:59 pm

I am so sad that Alec and Edie broke up on the show. Darn those crazy kids. They needed to stay together for the sake of their silly miner photograph.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Alec did what?? Oh no, I didn't think there were any more 30 Rock episodes after the Christmas special.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Alec did what?? Oh no, I didn't think there were any more 30 Rock episodes after the Christmas special.

yeah, there was one more ep, and it was one of the best.

as King C said, the "Midnight Train to Georgia" bit was a riot - Grizz and Dot Com as backup dancers to Tracy, Tracy's look of disgust when Jenna barges in, and then Kenneth's goofy, gleeful turn?

so much awesome.

best lines include Jack's "The founding fathers never intended for the poor to live into their forties" - Jack and C.C's exchange "“I’ve never been to a place before where they kill the pig in front of you.â€
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Will Scarlet on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Was this the season ender or just the last episode in the can before the strike? It was hysterical. I get the giggles every time I think about Lemon and the review board and the poor intern riding the snake of caffeine addiction. The Midnight Train to Georgia was fantastic.

:lol:

W.S.
Will Scarlet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 pm

I just watched last weeks episode this morning and I allmost fell out of my chair at the musical number. So much awesome.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:07 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I just watched last weeks episode this morning and I allmost fell out of my chair at the musical number. So much awesome.

Same here.
I laughed throughout the show, but the musical at the end was a non-stop laughfest.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:37 pm

I don't think I've laughed harder at a sitcom since Arrested Development, there are definitely a few elements that are similar, such as the hilarious offhand remarks delivered straight and just left there for the viewer to get, the episodes all have a fast moving plot (so far, 8 eps in) and there's frequent cut away jokes that also remind me of Spaced. And yeh Liz Lemon is hot, and holy lord so is the blonde secretary girl.

Baldwin is the shining centre though, and yeh he does and amazing job but the character is written so well too. What could have been a cliche venal studio exec ends up a anti-hero and also so... well I guess fatherly would be the word. And all the Jack Welch fellatio is too too funny. Tina Fey got a pretty subversive show in under the radar I think, much more subversive than Studio 60 anyway.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:34 pm

I just have to make sure that last weeks episode wasn't new. I stopped watching T.V., so I can't tell when a new episode is coming up. They're all done, right?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Zarles on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Yessah, boss.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:54 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I just have to make sure that last weeks episode wasn't new. I stopped watching T.V., so I can't tell when a new episode is coming up. They're all done, right?

series 2, ep 10, now nothing 'til the strike is resolved.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:56 am

yeah, I don't know why all these networks blew their load in episodes before Christmas. I would have at least saved a couple for sweeps. I guess they didn't think this strike would last as long as it has.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Crimson King on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:06 pm

This strike needs to be resolved 'cause I need more 30 Rock. And Pushing Daisies....
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!?
Crimson King
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby avivad on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:04 pm

It took me awhile to get used to and enjoy this show. At first it seemed somehow strange, something was off. But gradually I began really liking it. especially Baldwin character , I think he is wonderful in that roll. Funny and cool. avivad from pigeons.biz
avivad
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:13 pm

so kinda a disappointing new episode, at least by the ridiculously high bar 30 ROCK has set for itself.

Pete's hand caught in a vending machine...c'mon, SIMPSON'S did it, hell, even Sealab 2021 ran the gag to much greater comedic effect.

but the entire MILF ISLAND bit was fucking hysterical (I'd watch that), and, as usual, the show was stacked with killer one-liners and belly laugh generating non-sequitors...

"then I'll be in erection cove"

"She had too much champagne and a monkey pushed her into some quicksand. It could've happened anywhere."

"...eating bugs to get tampons"

"Shut your fried balony hole"
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:04 pm

Deborah was totally owned by D'borah. I cried a little when Liz Lemmon Sold Jonathan out.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:55 pm

son of a married couple, now that's how you write a comedy episode!

adroitly weaving 3 plots, one special guest star (what's a Tim Conway?) and one recurring guest star (from Beeper King to Dateline Predator to Subway Hero, Dean Winters absolutely nails the sleazy yet endearing stereotypical Northeast U.S. scumbag who sometimes says but never does the right thing to an uncanny degree...who knew that Ryan O'Reily had those comedy chops in him? His off-hand delivery of "socially conservative, fiscally liberal" could not have been delivered any better), the only problem I had with the episode was laughing so hard over certain gags that I missed others, forcing me to go back and watch it again to pick up on all the comedy gold I missed the first time.

Sharply satirical without being heavy handed, the ratio of hits to misses was non-existent 'cuz every single line scored.

The Committee to Re-Invade Vietnam

"We're like Ross & Rachel, just not Dumbledore."

"Choosing is a sin, so I always write in the Lord's name!"
"That's Republican, we count those."

"I was here all night wandering the corridors. Didn't run into anybody except one giant lesbian...who is Conan O'Brien, and why is she so sad?"

"We used to call this the Jew room."

"Not thinking is what makes America great."

"If reality shows have taught us anything, it's that you can't keep people with no shame down."

and in the credits - Lord Stanley's Cup as Himself.

I still haven't gotten to Baldwin doing a riotous Nixon impression, Tracy's "Don't Vote" campaign ad and his delivery and rebellion against saying "Blackmericans", and, in possibly the best lines of an episode full of 'em, Dot Com's astute political analysis of the modern day Republican Party.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:10 pm

Couldn't have recapped it any better, KC...

I think my favorite was Jenna's description of love. "It's wearing make-up to bed, going next door to the Burger King to poop, and hiding your alcohol in perfume bottles. That's love."
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Fievel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:13 pm

KCBC - Every word you typed above there is right on. That was an amazingly hilarious episode. Tim Conway was much funnier than I would have imagined (The Conan line had me in tears). The Dorf videos killed him in my mind.
Amazing stuff. I loved how the stories overlapped. Thursdays on NBC haven't been this good since the Cosby->Family Ties->Cheers->Night Court days.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:"It's wearing make-up to bed, going next door to the Burger King to poop, and hiding your alcohol in perfume bottles. That's love."

hahaha! Yeah, I should've just transcribed the entire show.

Fievel wrote:Amazing stuff. I loved how the stories overlapped.

I know! Just by simply having Kenneth walking Conway through 30 Rock, brushing past the other actors while they were up to their own shenanigans?
That's as good as comedy writing gets, from the one-liners to the plotting.

"That's one mouthy sandwich girl."

I guess maybe the 30 Rock world is too insular and New York-ish and Jewish for mass consumption, 'cuz it's ratings suck...but it's got a 3rd season guarantee, so no matter what, we'll be getting more of it.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

30 Rock

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I lay awake at night, still thinking of Night Court and how I miss it....
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:43 pm

30 Rock is too clever for its own good. It needs to make a couple episodes during sweeps that just focuses on one outlandish plot in order to get the "According to Jim" crowd on board. Seinfeld probably would have been destined for obscurity if it wasn't for that "Master of my Domain" episode.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:29 pm

It is getting a TON of publicity lately -- Tina Fey has been on every magazine cover the past few weeks. People might start getting sucked in even if they don't entirely get it...

I don't know what it says about me that I identify with some Liz Lemon dilemma or other every week. This whole "freezing to death" love story was straight out of my own life. The guy in question was even a Western (not Midwest, dammit!) version of Dean.

Good thing I was already one of those girls who sleeps in her make-up and narrowly avoided the trap.
Lady Sheridan
RED

30 Rock

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:It is getting a TON of publicity lately -- Tina Fey has been on every magazine cover the past few weeks. People might start getting sucked in even if they don't entirely get it...

I don't know what it says about me that I identify with some Liz Lemon dilemma or other every week. This whole "freezing to death" love story was straight out of my own life. The guy in question was even a Western (not Midwest, dammit!) version of Dean.

Good thing I was already one of those girls who sleeps in her make-up and narrowly avoided the trap.

Perhaps some one should follow you around with a camera...
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:

So, what your saying is that 2 weeks ago you were black mailed into writing some schlock, because your boss caught you in an inflammatory lie and you sold out a sweet dim witted fundy in the process?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby MonkeyM666 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:56 am

Oh man I can't believe that this thread is receiving so little action. I love 30 Rock. It holds up against numerous viewings, has cute and crazy characters... and Tina Fay is great as Liz Lemon. Also Alec Baldwin has found a career high as Jack. Great stuff..... WATCH IT!!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:42 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:30 Rock is too clever for its own good. It needs to make a couple episodes during sweeps that just focuses on one outlandish plot in order to get the "According to Jim" crowd on board. Seinfeld probably would have been destined for obscurity if it wasn't for that "Master of my Domain" episode.

Hope 30 Rock never does, and you're way off with regards to Seinfeld.

'They' are not all a bunch of idiots.

Conway fucking killed it, I especially like his queer reminiscing about McHale's Navy.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:08 pm

tapehead wrote:
Hope 30 Rock never does, and you're way off with regards to Seinfeld.

'They' are not all a bunch of idiots.

So, you didn't like the "Master of my Domain" episode? I thought it was hilarious. A lot of people at school did too. It seemed as though only my sister, I and her friends knew about Seinfeld back in the day. I can't pinpoint exactly when the show broke out, but I remember hearing "King of the county" "Lord of the manor" quotes being scattered all of a sudden. 30 Rock doesn't have to dumb down its writing to achieve this. It just needs that one super quotable episode that catches everyone's attention.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:29 pm

I finally saw my first episode of this show. Absolutely hilarious. I love Baldwin, and he delivers in this. Fey is good too. I don't like the subway hero guy too much. Even Tracy Morgan, who is annoying a lot, is damn funny here.

To me, this is like a more mature, live action version of Family Guy. That quick cut to Fey freezing to death after she'd made that analogy earlier comparing it to her love life had me rolling.

I'll watch again. What's the regular time slot? Thursdays... when?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Next

Return to Coaxial