MTV

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

MTV

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:04 pm

I was thinking about calling this the "MTV SUX" thread, but I figured just "MTV" said it all i.e. MTV itself is synonymous with mass-suckage IMO (and VH-1 and MTV-2 both suck too btw). Like, everybody should just start saying "that movie MTVed" insted of 'sucked', 'blew', 'ate my balls' etc. Or " that was a steaming pile of MTV"
Anyway, does anybody still watch this shit? I have a few friends that still catch their dumb-ass shows, but I haven't watched one since the first season of The Osbournes. Not to say you're a d00ch if do watch, like I said, I have friends that do (poor souls). But I have no idea what's even on there these days. I seriously don't even know why I still have it in my Favs-list. Like, the only place where you can still see a music-video is on VH-1 Classic. And now even they are starting to put lame shows on and calling shit from like...six years ago "classic"...GMAFB. :(

Btw I looked around for another MTV-thread and didn't see anything except the Movie Awards (which are also starting to get ALF.)

Thoughts?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Wow. Apparently MTV blows so hard that nobody is even checking out the thread...I should have known
Last edited by wonkabar on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby doglips on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:14 pm

MTV SUX

Except Cribs, which is always unintentionally hilarious.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:16 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:MTV SUX

Yeah I have seen that a couple times. I love the d00ches that try to act like they have good taste.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:19 pm

yeah i stopped watching MTV and VH-1 and such awhile ago. i think the last time i actually watched it was in '02.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby doglips on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:20 pm

wonkabar wrote:

Yeah I have seen that a couple times. I love the d00ches that try to act like they have good taste.

The Ted Nugent episode is classic TV.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby mistertim on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:21 pm

I consider myself to be moderately left-wing in my political views, however, Cribs always has me bellowing at my television like some sort of crazed aging commie ex-proselytizer. God, it makes me angry.

Therfore yes, MTV really does blow.
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Vicarious on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:23 pm

Death to MTV.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:27 pm

Vicarious wrote:Death to MTV.

Surely they derserve no less for inflicting us with the likes of Carson Daly

mmm maybe I should have put this in the EFBR
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Vegeta on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Honestly, MTV is responsible for the rapidly declining intelligence and morality of our youth today. Thanks MTV, soon the U.S. will be just like that movie Idiocracy.

What? It already is... f!@k! :shock:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:48 pm

i actually watch quite a bit of MTV these days.

its usually with the sound, and my pants, off.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:50 pm

But I thought your pants were always off... my God man, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:01 pm

well, they are extra off when i watch mtv.
i mean waaaaay off.
like off in the corner of the room.

where my spunk wont hit em, when it goes a flyin'.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:25 pm

Um, but, wouldn't that make them cleaner, Reverend?

:?

You said your Holy Waters makes things cleaner.

[/InnocenceIsAVirtue]
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:02 pm

no, only the lord can make mine cleaner.

however, my spunk is quite cleansing when deposited in the undergarments of females 14 and up.

also, when deposited in, about, or around the genitals, and/or other erogenous zones.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby mistertim on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Vegeta wrote:Honestly, MTV is responsible for the rapidly declining intelligence and morality of our youth today. Thanks MTV, soon the U.S. will be just like that movie Idiocracy.

who was it that said that television was the modern equivalent of the lead plumbing that slowly poisoned the victorians? MTV is proof of this, i feel.
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:28 pm

120 minutes is fucking awesome.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:04 pm

Is? It's still/back on?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:24 pm

TonyWilson wrote:120 minutes is fucking awesome.

you must get that on MTV europe or some shit.

unless they have brought it back in some capacity, mtv cancelled that shit (the only show worth watching) as soon as "alternative" music was no longer hip.

lord how ive missed dave kendall :cry:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:35 pm

I really liked MTV's "Amp." Remember that from a few years back? The techno/electronica show they had on late at night?

They had some whoop-ass videos during that hour. Wish they'd put it back on.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:57 am

Don't know about other countries, but MTV is in Germany good to watch between Midnight and noon. At that time they play just music. And most of the time it's even good music!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:02 am

And don't forget about the cartoons/anime their showing. Some are really good.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Well, they show South Park! But it sucks in German...
I wish they would show Daria and King Of The Hill again!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:12 pm

and Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex, Gantz (although I changed my mind about it and don't like it anymore) and Drawn together.

They should repeat The Maxx
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 pm

Well, Drawn Together is one of these shows that fits exactly to the quote in my signature. And the best Anime they showed on MTV (and one of the few only Animes I like) was Cowboy Bebop!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:33 pm

Yep Cowboy Bebop alone brought MTV enough good will points to air npthing ut crap for at lest 10 more years.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby cap on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:33 pm

Does MTV still exist.

I keep running across this network that show one dumb ass show after the next. Every one involved is allegedly young and hip. But to me they just appear stupid as hell! Oh well!!!

Vent completed. As with many other things anymore, MTV isn't for me, I am to OLD to understand. Or so thats what I am told.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:40 pm

cap wrote: MTV isn't for me, I am too OLD to understand. Or so thats what I am told.

So at least you're over the age of 14 then?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby cap on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:46 pm

Yes, I got kids darn near that old.

Wait, you too will be here one day. It is painful and liberating all at the same time.....

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:55 pm

I doubt other countries have this problem (yet), but most of MTV's programming in the United States these days is faux-reality shows. "Laguna Beach," "8th & Ocean," "The Hills," "Two-a-Days," etc. They have 4, 5 scripted television shows (with actors and multiple camera angles and everything) that they pass off as reality TV. I don't really understand why they do it, and I understand why those shows are popular even less, but that's pretty much all MTV runs lately. Their "real" reality shows are also partially scripted.

MTV plays videos, but sparingly. They have a couple hour-long countdowns like TRL and Direct Effect every weekday, but since they tend to play the same 10 songs each day for obvious reasons, your best bet is to tune in from like... 5 to 8 in the morning. Or whenever it is that they hide the music now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:02 pm

Shit, I felt like I outgrew MTV at 18. It sucks that MTV goes out of it's way to try and make more than half the population feel like they're old farts or something. I mean, the so-called generation-gap of the 60's just doesn't exist anymore. Not when you have people in their 40's playing video-games. It's not like everbody who hits 23 starts listeing to Yani or some shit. Can we just see some cool videos you fucking tools? I have to watch VH-1 Classic to see some stupid shit they played the hell out of when I was a kid while it's sister-channel is off doing something "cool" like "Pimp My Ride"? Fuck you. MTV isn't "hip" it's just fucking dumb. Of course there are bigger tragedies in the world...*rant-over*
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Al Shut on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:29 pm

I'll have to admit that I loathe TRL. Not because they always play the same stuff (apparently I'm in touch with my inner mainstream) but because they never play the whole videos but nd them a minute or so before the end. Fuck that shit.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DennisMM on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:29 pm

MTV USA is dreadful. It plays very little music video (several hours a day) and even its reality shows often don't include musicians! It's filled with not only crappy reality but crappy original "dramas" posing as reality. They've got a fucking show about a football team in Alabama (or somewhere).

I'm old enough to remember the first few years of MTV. It aired lots of very cheap studio-shot lip-synch videos, often by UK bands. The Rolling Stones released several videos that should have made them hang their heads. Before long, though, many of the videos displayed excellent production values; they looked pricey or at least sophisticated. Something as simple as The Pretenders playing in a field of boulders, intercut with a worried-looking Chrissie Hynde walking the streets of London, brought extra meaning to a song. Bands we'd never heard of such as The Go-Gos introduced us to each member by featuring them in videos. More than a few men fell in love with Jane Wiedlin when she sat up on the trunk of a convertible in "We Got the Beat" and crooned, "Hush now, darling, don't you cry."

There was a great deal of cheese, too. The VJs were sad excuses, some popular DJs whose styles were much better suited to radio. But the endeavor didn't take itself very seriously for a few years. That was nice.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:02 pm

*Begins rant anew*

Yeah Dennis, ever notice how the bands back in the day were older? MTV actually still payed stuff by the likes of the Stones, Bowie, Tina Turner and Elton John. And even the so-called "young bands" were ... The Police, The Pretenders, The Clash, Men at Work etc....basically, people in their late 20's and 30's. Everybody watched MTV. Even when they started to suck in the the late 80's and started catering to the "youth-market," chicks like Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and New Kids on the Block were still the object of ridicule. And then, shortly after it appeared that MTV was starting to get cool again, (the early 90's) something happened around 96. Those goddamned Spice Girls and the accursed Backstreet Boys instituted a now ten-year reign of darkness that (literally) transformed MTV into the fucking Mickey-Mouse-Club. Why does the media in general persist in the notion that they have to appeal to pimple-poppers that work at Burger-King? It's the adults who are the majority, and it is they (except the maybe those with kids) who have the disposible income. I didn't lose interest in popular music/culture because I'm over it or because I don't have money to spare. I lost interest because it sucks!
And shithead companies like MTV just don't seem to wake up even after their ratings plummet. This year VMA's (which I used to still carry some minor interest in) was one of those lowest rated ever. Why? Because MTV has rendered itself meaningless to anybody over the age of 15 that's why. Get a clue retards.
Last edited by wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Vicarious on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:03 pm

What really bugs me about MTV is that they try so hard to be socially conscious and pretend that they're activists and shit and they're really just corporate whores like every other network (not that I really care). But they're just so fucking phony. And they make lousy TV. And Cribs pisses me off.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Vicarious wrote:What really bugs me about MTV is that they try so hard to be socially conscious and pretend that they're activists and shit and they're really just corporate whores like every other network (not that I really care). But they're just so fucking phony.

No shit. And I'm no "Rush is right" conservative, but MTV needs to stop shoving PC bullshit down people's throats (they've been doing it since '91). Hey, I voted for Clinton and all, but I seriously felt like Kurt Loder was gonna personally follow me to the voting-booth to make sure I did.
Last edited by wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

With the exception of Jackass, back in the happy days when it was being aired for the first time, I have never watched any of the shows that are on MTV.

But I've lost track of the amount of hours I've spent stoned on my couch...just searching for that one last perfect song before going to bed.

You know the drill...you flick through a couple of the music channels and catch the last 30 seconds of a tune you really like.....and it makes you want to hear one more good song only this time from the beginning...so you roll another and start flicking...and flicking.....and flicking....

And when I've done that then MTV has been as much to blame as any of the 20-odd other music channels available.

Especially MTV Dance, at around 3am on a saturday.

Cribs and shows like Punk'd just look complete shite though......those camera angles and fast cuts that are done just for the sake of it....ridiculous....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:40 pm

MTV is still on? huh, you learn something new every day, are they ever going to bring back oddities?

I was flipping thru the channels the other day mindlessly and I came accross Wilber vander .. valder ... um .. fucking fez! Anyway it was a couple of homies having an insult-off and it was mecha lame. At first I was like wtf is this stupidity, then i noticed it was MTV and I was like oohhhhh right right right ..
*click*
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:52 pm

I miss MuchMusic. I used to get that as an alternative to MTV, but it's since morphed into Fuse. Fuse is better than MTV, but it doesn't seem as guileless as Much did, if that makes sense.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:59 pm

I haven't watched MTV since The Osbournes. And it hurt to even have it on for that show. I was devoted to Jackass too.

I don't even have too much of a reason to complain, I didn't have MTV when I was younger and was too much of a geek to watch it even when I did. My sister, however, was cool and I did catch some of the video years...and I confess to watching alot of TRL in the hopes of getting a glimpse of Johnny Rzeznik. (I was young!)

Carson Daly must have sold his soul to Satan, or spent alot of time on his knees with studio executives...I cannot believe he managed to have, let alone keep, an entertainment career. He's just so painfully awkward to watch!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:14 pm

if i remember correctly i was a freshman in highschool when MTV first hit cable, and while i lived in the styx where we had a lame antenna that pulled in one whole channel, MTV was a THE channel to watch for all the townie kids who had cable, and it was ALWAYS on during parties. back then, though, it actually WAS "music television", videos all the time including videos of bands like Van Halen and Aerosmith.

music videos were a real novelty, and living out in the country we were always behind the times anyway. my parents sprung for a power-booster for the antenna when i was about 14, which meant we got 4 whole channels though they were snow-ridden, and i would stay up late to watch Friday Night Videos on NBC each weekend. sounds sad now, but i was far from alone at the time.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Friday Night Videos! And USA had something too, like Night-Flight I think.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby papalazeru on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:34 pm

I miss the old days..the original days of MTV. When they were 'alternative' with shit like Beavis and Butthead.

Now they've capitalised on that and ruined what they once stood for.

Down with MTV.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:39 pm

I fucking hate MTV now. Just seems like a bunch of stupid kids pratting about these days, talking unfunny shit. Has a really annoying childish and immature quality to it. For the 'Youth'? Fuck that, I'm young, and I just wanna take an axe to the people there sometimes. The MTV 'huh, this is all really a joke actually, even though we're not funny' Music Awards for starters.

Fucking shit!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Don't even start me off on that....or the Mobo's.

All the awards are fucking fixed.

Its a channel for stupid people but what do you do? Would you rather educate them or keep making your money off selling them shit and keeping them dumb so you can make more?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:53 am

Well, FUSE seems ok anyway
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:52 pm

Vicarious wrote:What really bugs me about MTV is that they try so hard to be socially conscious and pretend that they're activists and shit and they're really just corporate whores like every other network (not that I really care). But they're just so fucking phony. And they make lousy TV. And Cribs pisses me off.

I guess I have a hard time with this too. At the end of the day, I admire MTV for being socially conscious. I'm a little wary about the motives, but they are active in trying to help certain communities of people, and they do put their money where their mouth is a lot of the time. But it's hard to reconcile this didacticism with the vile programming that they stack their schedule with 90% of the time.

Has anybody seen "Parental Control"? Quite possibly the most despicable show ever.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Has anybody seen "Parental Control"? Quite possibly the most despicable show ever.

nuh uh, dude. My Sweet Sixteen is, celebrating sick twisted excess and overindulgence. MTV is about as socially conscious as Paris fucking Hilton. thats what they have become, really, the Paris Hilton of networks. shallow, materialistic, vapid glitterwhores.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Flumm on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm

Lol, my Sweet Sixteen is one of the scariest shows I've ever seen, I think.

As an example of societal bubbles within bubbles, it's surreal to a point beyond the glibbest of fictions...

In all it's glossy, commercial, neon vapour, MTV is redundant culturally by now, it kind of has to be, right?

It fills empty airspace and perpetuates itself as much as anything else it seems. Perhaps aided by the gormless, and the lusty along the way. For people looking to reap teh spoils of the the gifted and the beautific, they looks elsewhere's than MTV, I think...

You know in something like Blade Runner, or any general apoco-vision of the future, where there's holo-billboards filled advertising and hyper-stylized, meaningless background noise and such? It seems to me that MTV fills the same kind of purpose, it doesn't really have content per say, it doesn't really do anything but bleet variously expressed dollar signs into the ether.

Makes me idely wonder if there's any way something like MTV could ever simply evaporate, you know? Whether it needs us to sustain and nourish it anymore. Whether it would need anyone watching and listening, for it to simpley go bleeting on and on forever...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm

papalazeru wrote:Don't even start me off on that....or the Mobo's.

The Mobo's have never made sense to me, because surely even Oasis would qualify as playing music of black origin.

Basically seems like a "You can't win if you're white Awards".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial