Halloween TV anthology poll

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Halloween TV anthology poll

Postby MattXFLexicon on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:05 am

AMC has been running the John Carpenter "Halloween" films. I watched "III: Season of the Witch" and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. Apparently Carpenter and Hill had wanted to have the "Halloween" films become a series of stand alone films, written and directed by new talent. After the public's rejection of III, Carpenter left the series. I was thinking though that Carpenter might have had the right idea though.

Although, I admit III's story idea wasn't strong enough to run for over an hour. Tne following is pure speculation.

Would people tune in if there was a "Halloween" horror anthology series, like "Tales from the Crypt" or "Tales from the Darkside". Especially if John Carpenter was the executive producer? For example, the first episode could be a one hour take on the Michael Myers serial Killer premise on Halloween, and the second episode could one hour take on "Season of the Witch's" premise. After that, episodes could veer off in any direction as long as the stories are set on / around Halloween.

It would all depend on if good writers could be brought in who understood the horror genre, of course.

What do you think?
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MercuryX23 on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:12 am

I think you stumble into the Friday the 13th series formula a bit here. While I love both the film Halloween and the holiday Halloween, I daresay you run short of good Halloween stories after a time and an hour long serial killer show just doesn't seem to work.

Oh, and I caught a bit of H3 on AMC and now I can't get the Silver Shamrock song out of my head. I always thought the villains would have been better placed in an anti-St. Patrick's Day (or, as my wife and I call it, Irish Snake Memorial Day) film.
MercuryX23
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:20 am

Carpentar's idea was good but he shot himself in the foot before it even got going by making Halloween II a Myers centric story. Had they jumped into the annual anthology idea with Halloween II it probably could have taken off.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vicarious on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 am

Nice thread... Halloween III is a lot of fun in so many ways. Sure, it was poorly executed, but it's so damn atmospheric and IMO, a quintessential 80s horror experience. I only saw it recently, and I was upset that I had held out so long because of the number of people that hate it. That said, I adore the first film and it probably shouldn't have been a part of the series, but I think it's fun. The whole series thing got off on the wrong foot because of exactly that. After 2 films of Michael Myers, a third movie without him was unacceptable to many. I would love to see a series of horror films tied together, but the problem is that if the first isn't successful, it won't continue, and if it does well, they'll want to make another of the same.

Speaking of Halloween III, nice AV Kaga. I missed my chance yesterday, but here it is. "8 more days til Halloween, Halloween, 8 more days til Halloween, Silver Shamrock!"
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:59 am

this is bringing back memories of that horrible "friday the 13th" tv show, which of course had nothing to do with jason voorhees or any of the movies. i think it was about some people hunting down a bunch of cursed items that did bad things to people, or something like that. god that show sucked. if i watch a 'friday the 13th' tv show, i want to see jason voorhees fucking people up with machetes and shit, not a bunch of cheesy cursed-item-of-the-week stories. at least that show had some hot redheaded chick though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:33 am

Bring back Nightmare Cafe!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:32 am

RogueScribner wrote:Bring back Nightmare Cafe!

I vaguely remember that show...wasn't Robert Englund in that...?

Upon further inspection...

Yes, he was...

I barely remember it though...something about them being dead or something...

The sign changing from "All-Night Cafe" to "Nightmare Cafe" or something like that...I remember thinking it was kinda cool...and then it was gone...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:14 pm

let's not forget robert englund's other "classic" tv anthology series.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby austenandrews on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:58 pm

Halloween seems like a fairly limited scope for an ongoing series.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby brabs on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:13 pm

Halloween 3: the kid's head deflating whilst watching the advert and then a fucking snake slides out of the mask!

Nice.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:17 pm

They did an extreme disservice to the idea of a Halloween franchise by making the first two about Mike Meyers, then trying to switch gears with the third film. Halloween Two should have been about anything other than Mike Meyers in order for this idea to work. Too late now, of course, but we can dream.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby austenandrews on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm not so sure a non-slasher Halloween II wouldn't have been received just as poorly as Halloween III was.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:26 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Bring back Nightmare Cafe!

I vaguely remember that show...wasn't Robert Englund in that...?

Upon further inspection...

Yes, he was...

I barely remember it though...something about them being dead or something...

The sign changing from "All-Night Cafe" to "Nightmare Cafe" or something like that...I remember thinking it was kinda cool...and then it was gone...

Yeah. It was ok if a little cheesy, but it went so soon that it never got to go anywhere...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby John Smith on Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Is this thread about the Halloween Movies or scarey TV shows. Because the Rosie Odonnell show made me scared to turn on the TV on the Chance I may have to see her. That was scary TV to me.
John Smith
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MattXFLexicon on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:50 pm

Some interesting comments. Actually, to elaborate on what I was thinking, what I had in mind was something like the 'Masters of Horror" series, only, at the next level and something that would appear on the Sci Fi channel, or something like HBO.

Stand alone stories where a percentage of them would be directed by veterans and written by new writers, or the reverse, stories written by veterans and directed by new directors. As long as the stories are centered around the time frame of October, thet stories wouldn't have to be exclusively contemporay, they could be period pieces as well. Especially, if you can manage to keep the kind of stories you can tell very open ended. Meaning, Horror, Sci Fi, Suspense, dark psychological tales and so on.

When you consider that the "Masters of Horror" DVD series has a fairly limited audience to market, arguably, what if that same idea was applied.
If John Carpenter could recruit people like, Dario Agento, Clive Barker, David Chronenberg, Steven King, Guilermo Del Toro, George Romero, Takashi Shimizu (The Ring) and so on to be involved in the occasional episode.

Yes, I am aware that Horror anthology's have had a history of limited success, as well as the fact that many horror fans can be pretty jaded at this point, with the horror market being pretty much flooded with average stuff. Nevertheless, Spielberg managed to attempt something similar in the late 80's with Amazing Stories, although you could argue the result was very mixed.

Basically, if a horror anthology series would be produced with quality writing, acting and production, would people check it out?

Remember, it was only a couple of years ago that if mentioned the idea of bringing back a show like Battlestar: Galaticia, most people laughed the notion off, yet look at what Ron Moore has managed to do. It goes back to basics, deliver quality material that manages a fresh angle.

There's not much more I can add as far as an argument, just curious to get people's reaction. Just some food for thought.
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Return to Coaxial