Torchwood

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Torchwood

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm not a fan of Torchwood at all. I watched half of the first season and thought it was the biggest pile of wank I'd ever seen.

I've just sat through 5 hours of it.

It was fucking ace!!! A really good, well executed, well paced story which some great character dynamics. The opening felt much like typical silly Doctor Who story but it soon developed into its own and was probably just as gritty as some of the darker new Doctor Who eps.

I was very impressed. It's just a shame that it took a Credit Crunch to produce such a good, edge of your seat, piece of TV.

I really enjoyed how they didn't skirt around some of the meatier issues, like how to choose which children - very impressive and very sci-fi. Also, it looked good, from the speical effects to the way it was shot - it felt adult and certainily didn't have that 'on the set' feel that I find Doctor Who generally has.

Well done Beeb, finally.

A few niggling things come to mind, the government telling people to send their kids back to school, noone notices all the army trucks careering around the roads or doesn't think it's a bad sign?

9/10
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:54 am

papalazeru wrote:I really enjoyed how they didn't skirt around some of the meatier issues, like how to choose which children

I thought it fantastic that someone in the cabinet had the idea to use the school league tables to pick the chosen 10%.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:01 am

Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote:I really enjoyed how they didn't skirt around some of the meatier issues, like how to choose which children

I thought it fantastic that someone in the cabinet had the idea to use the school league tables to pick the chosen 10%.

Yes. It surprised me how they dealt with the issue, I wasnt' expecting that at all. I think I was waiting for the foppish Dr Who response which would be where everyone teams up, the gov tells the world and they understand and attack the aliens.

Using league tables certainly would've made most of us happy. Start at the bottom and work their way up. I'm sure some of those estate kids have far too much dopamine running through them.

As I said, really didn't want like this (and you know what I'm like wtih a bee in my bonnet) but it shone through far too much and really hit home. I don't think there's going to be much mroe TV like this in a while and I hope that Dr Who have some Eps like this, and equally as dark. Doubt it though.

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:02 am

Children of Earth

Been downloading this in HD through itunes, and I've caught up through episode 4 of Children of Earth.
Holy shit this has been some quality TV SciFi. Downloading the final ep right now, although in HD it takes bloody forever.
I'll wait. I want to see the rest of it. Now.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:34 pm

FOX developing US version of Torchwood?

Uh-oh.

EDIT: Whoa, most of the cast might return? Weird. I am intrigued.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:16 am

I never thought for a moment that the "American" version of Torchwood would keep Jack as he was - they simply haven't the spine for it.
The Bible Belt would explode!! Democracy would fail!! Average Americans would be going same sex all over the country!!! Oprah would lose 30 pounds and keep it off!! Dogs and cats living together.....mass hysteria!!

The usual, when American's get their undies in a twist.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 am

And the Spaced remake pilot went down oh so well

papalazeru

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 am

The Vicar wrote:

I never thought for a moment that the "American" version of Torchwood would keep Jack as he was - they simply haven't the spine for it.
The Bible Belt would explode!! Democracy would fail!! Average Americans would be going same sex all over the country!!! Oprah would lose 30 pounds and keep it off!! Dogs and cats living together.....mass hysteria!!

The usual, when American's get their undies in a twist.

Barrowman has said Captain Jack won't be coming to US TV if they change his sexuality.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 am

Torchwood will return.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10262266.stm

Not sure how they'll top Children of Earth, but it seems like they're going to try something different.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 am

Good news. I wonder who they will add to the team, or will they just have Jack and Gwen? At any rate, can't wait.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:07 am

MacCready wrote:Good news. I wonder who they will add to the team, or will they just have Jack and Gwen? At any rate, can't wait.

I heard a mix of American and British actors with the series spanning across the globe.

Want to see how they get Jack back to Earth.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby MacCready on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:26 am

Or how they're going to write around Gwen's baby.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:46 am

MacCready wrote:Or how they're going to write around Gwen's baby.

Maybe they won't have to. Maybe it's a few years after Children of Earth and Rhys is a stay at home dad or maybe the Cracks in time effect the Torchwood world in a devastating way?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 am

So I thought the new Torchwood episode was pretty good. I was surprised that they managed to keep the same feel of the show, but obviously updating it.

One issue is that you can quite clearly see how they used the script from the failed Fox pilot, so there was a bit of bridging to do to combine Gwen's storyline.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Fried Gold wrote:So I thought the new Torchwood episode was pretty good. I was surprised that they managed to keep the same feel of the show, but obviously updating it.

One issue is that you can quite clearly see how they used the script from the failed Fox pilot, so there was a bit of bridging to do to combine Gwen's storyline.

I'm more concerned that the new broad has too many lines and they end up writing out Gwen because of her accent.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:09 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:So I thought the new Torchwood episode was pretty good. I was surprised that they managed to keep the same feel of the show, but obviously updating it.

I'm more concerned that the new broad has too many lines and they end up writing out Gwen because of her accent.

If anything, I think they've forcibly inserted a whole lot more of Gwen.

You can tell that the US remake would've had the doctor from the hospital, Mehki Pheiffer and The New Broad as the Torchwood team based around Captain Jack. You could quite easily have not had any of the UK stuff and still told the same story.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:48 am

How are there new episodes written by the same people that wrote Children of Earth? I swear I have cringed more in these few episodes then I ever thought possible. And I really enjoyed the series too...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:40 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:How are there new episodes written by the same people that wrote Children of Earth? I swear I have cringed more in these few episodes then I ever thought possible. And I really enjoyed the series too...

Children of Earth - written by Russell T Davies, John Fay & James Moran

Miracle Day - apparently primarily written by Jane Espenson and a couple of others who have Smallville in their credits.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 am

Well that makes perfect sense now.... Thank you...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Jakester on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 pm

From the cliches of "Rex Matheson" and Nedry being the smarmy boss, there's been a lot to dislike this season. Plus it feels like it should have been 5 episodes as well. It's just dragging on.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:44 pm

I saw episode 2 earlier. It was okay, but didn't really raise the game in any way and just seemed average. If fact it felt very much like a bottle episode to me, which is odd so close to the start of a new season.

Some problems
- They're spending time reintroducing characters that we've already spent three series watching.
- The new characters aren't especially interesting. Ditzy blonde CIA operative. Hard man Rex CIA operative. Some other boring doctor.
- They keep emphasising how Gwen is used to all this drama. Yet she's being written as someone who gets all panicky and hyperactive anytime something happens.
- I don't see how the geographical switch to the US has had any purpose. I'd have thought a balance between the UK and US would've given it more scope.
- The plot of Bill Pullman's character surviving execution would've worked as one episode. Here, it seems like a sideline.
- Giant cast of peripheral characters who don't really seem to add anything to the story.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jakester on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 pm

4 episodes in and I'm finding it hard to keep watching. I don't care about Drummond or Matheson at all. In fact, even though I understand she's not a field agent, the stupid crap Drummond does would make any 12-year old laugh at how stupid she is. Rex, name and all, is a cliche CIA agent.

<yawn>
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Is anyone else still torturing themselves watching this show....?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby SilentScream on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:21 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Is anyone else still torturing themselves watching this show....?

No. The whole thing died on it's arse halfway through series 1. Barrowman is so annoying, over-the-top and has that sparkly look that frankly screams waaaay to camp for me.
He's as bad as David Tenant was as Dr Poo.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Jakester on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:43 am

Well I'm glad that's over.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Previous

Return to Coaxial