Torchwood

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:38 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Anyone? Bueller?

I'm behind. Recorded them. Will see them when my daughter allows it.
She's strick.
But fair.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Torchwood

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:16 am

Has anyone watched the Martha Jones crossover eps yet?

Owen dying and becoming one of the living dead!

Good stuff........
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Torchwood

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:04 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Has anyone watched the Martha Jones crossover eps yet?

Good stuff........

I actually thought they were bit underwhelming.

Now that last episode - "Adrift" - that's possibly the greatest episode of Torchwood they've produced, and on par with anything that's imported from the US. The acting, the way it was shot, script, music...all top class.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm

And the finale was extremely good too, with some interesting surprise moments.

This whole series has been far better than the first, and possibly better than Who.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Has anyone watched the Martha Jones crossover eps yet?

Good stuff........

Yes indeed!
I'll miss Martha.
The Vicar

Postby Strabo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Wow. And Torchwood Season Two goes out with a BANG. I can't believe they killed...well...you'll see.

Honestly, this season has been better than the last few seasons of Doctor Who. Eleven out of thirteen episodes were GREAT. Four or five out of five stars. The remaining two were three stars each. There wasn't a single crappy episode in the bunch.

I wonder what the plan for Torchwood is for next year. Is it going on hiatus too while Doctor Who is out? I hope not. I can't wait to see these characters again....at least, the ones that are left.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Strabo wrote:Wow. And Torchwood Season Two goes out with a BANG.

You ain't kidding.

Wow. I find it funny that they chose to leave behind who they did.

James Marsters kicks unholy ass.

I can't wait for the next season, if there is one. How are the ratings over there in the motherland for the show?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:19 am

A third series is in pre-production, but just note that it hasn't been officially commissioned yet.

I was surprised that Toshiko was killed off, but I guess her role had little elsewhere to go. I wasn't too surprised that Owen was though. There's a limit to how much longer they could've kept the character in it with his gradually decaying corpse...

I don't know if they show "Torchwood Declassified" outside of the UK but the showrunners seemed to be hinting that a) James Marsters is likely to become a recurring guest character and b) Owen's demise was left slightly open to interpretation for a reason.

Other unofficial but supposedly reliable sources are suggesting that Martha Jones is to become a Torchwood regular.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:21 am

Fried Gold wrote:Other unofficial but supposedly reliable sources are suggesting that Martha Jones is to become a Torchwood regular.

That would be cool. She seemed to have a good chemistry with Barrowman and it would create a romantic tension between him/her and Ianto as well as Gwen.

As regards Owen: Can a zombie survive a nuclear meltdown? Would he just walk around glowing and radiating hazardous materials?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:28 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:As regards Owen: Can a zombie survive a nuclear meltdown? Would he just walk around glowing and radiating hazardous materials?

When he became a zombie, they seemed to be suggesting that while his body would be getting injured, decomposing, falling apart his soul or whatever was still intact.

So maybe we'll be getting non-corporeal Owen in future....Ghost Doc.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Strabo on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am

If they do bring Owen back, I really hope they don't go down the "everyone left me behind so now I'm an angry bad guy" route. If they bring him back, do it for one more job, and then put him to rest. If they want to be really nice, reunite him with Diane first.

As far as Martha joining Torchwood goes, that sounds great. I've also seen a rumor about Mickey joining as the new tech genius. I don't really like that idea. He was just a regular guy prior to going to Pete's World. I don't really see him picking up Toshiko-level science and engineering knowledge in one year in an alternate dimension. Aside from the time-traveling police phone booth, that strains credibility a tiny bit too much.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Vicar on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:12 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Other unofficial but supposedly reliable sources are suggesting that Martha Jones is to become a Torchwood regular.

That would be cool. She seemed to have a good chemistry with Barrowman and it would create a romantic tension between him/her and Ianto as well as Gwen.

As regards Owen: Can a zombie survive a nuclear meltdown? Would he just walk around glowing and radiating hazardous materials
?

If they bring Owen back, and he shuffles around screaming for "brains!", I'll crap my trousers. The BEEB wouldn't do that, but I'll see it in my dreams tonight. Better have a change of sheets handy. :oops:
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:06 am

Fried Gold wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:As regards Owen: Can a zombie survive a nuclear meltdown? Would he just walk around glowing and radiating hazardous materials?

When he became a zombie, they seemed to be suggesting that while his body would be getting injured, decomposing, falling apart his soul or whatever was still intact.

So maybe we'll be getting non-corporeal Owen in future....Ghost Doc.

Will he become a ghost in the machine, the machine in this case being the Torchwood computers? Become a holographic projection, like the doctor in Voyager ( ergh)?
I'll miss Sato. I was hoping there'd be some shift in her character, some event that would have her acting "out of character". I don't believe that a person could be exposed to all the things she was in five years and still remain so full of self doubt.
There have been more stand out episodes of this as compared to Doctor Who. The Out of Time episode still stands out for me. I will now wait patiently for the third series. Should be very interesting.
I like how they presaged the deaths to come in Jack's flashbacks. In case we didn't get it, Torchwood is a dangerous place.
Looks like Reese might end up with a larger role. Then die on the job.
They certainly shook things up. Good.
The Vicar

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:48 pm

Underground for 1874 years is one hell of a penance...

I was wondering who they are going to get for the brains of the operation. Martha (if they did bring her back) can be the doctor...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:34 pm

As part of BBC Radio 4's CERN themed day on 10th September (to tie-in with the first operations of the LHC) a special CERN-themed radio episode of Torchwood written by Joseph Lidster, entitled Lost Souls, will air as the day's "Afternoon Play".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/08_august/07/cern.shtml
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:32 pm

The guy above me wrote:Continuing the pattern of climbing up the ladder of the Big British Castle, Torchwood is to be moved to BBC One and have a new format - the third series will consist of one story, told in five parts and broadcast over five consecutive nights.

So what exactly does that mean for us 'Merkins (Thats what Bush calls us thats what I am sticking with...)
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
The guy above me wrote:Continuing the pattern of climbing up the ladder of the Big British Castle, Torchwood is to be moved to BBC One and have a new format - the third series will consist of one story, told in five parts and broadcast over five consecutive nights.

So what exactly does that mean for us 'Merkins (Thats what Bush calls us thats what I am sticking with...)

I guess it means (is it BBC America or Sci-fi?) will only be showing five episodes.

(although rumours suggest that if the change in format goes down well, there may be a second story later in the year.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:

I guess it means (is it BBC America or Sci-fi?) will only be showing five episodes.

(although rumours suggest that if the change in format goes down well, there may be a second story later in the year.

So just a five episode season (series)? Does that happen alot? Seems strange...

Are most actors over there hungry?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:So just a five episode season (series)? Does that happen alot? Seems strange...

Are most actors over there hungry?

Doctor Who has broken the mold in terms of series length. Before 2000, series lengths were never more than six episodes. Then a few went to seven or eight. Since Doctor Who, more longer term series are emerging. Only the soaps do longer - but they are on continuously. I reckon the thought of a British producer wanting to do a twenty-four episode run would make most Channel execs here burst out laughing.

This new format for Torchwood is similar to what our crime dramas have - things like Silent Witness, Waking the Dead, Messiah - week long runs of a continuous story. So it's actually quite a mark of quality and integrity for Torchwood, considering it's seen by some to be a silly pulp thing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:51 pm

While I am happy for them I worry that 'Merkins wont get to see them as studios will think whats the point in bringing 5 episodes over...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:While I am happy for them I worry that 'Merkins wont get to see them as studios will think whats the point in bringing 5 episodes over...

BBC America will have them. Apparently it's one of the biggest rating shows they have.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:While I am happy for them I worry that 'Merkins wont get to see them as studios will think whats the point in bringing 5 episodes over...

BBC America will have them. Apparently it's one of the biggest rating shows they have.

As well it should be, gorram it.
The Vicar

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

As well it should be, gorram it.

Well Ill watch it.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Well Ill watch it.

You're gorram right you'll watch it.

TORCHWOOD...FARK YEAH!
Coming again to save the motherfarking day yeah!

TORCHWOOD...FARK YEAH!
Having sex with all your team-mates is the only way yeah!

Aliens your game is through cause now you have to answer too,

TORCHWOOD...FARK YEAH!
So Captain Jack will make you lick his butt, and suck on his balls...

er....Torchwood....yeah...
Last edited by Fried Gold on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 pm

I would have with Toshi.
And Gwen.

The rest are on their own.
The Vicar

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Oi! You lot on the Isle?

You missed this bit? They named the Series.

bbc.co.uk wrote:The new series of sci-fi show Torchwood will follow a single adventure instead of individual storylines, the BBC says.

Torchwood: Children Of Earth sees the team battling for the future of the human race against the fiercest force they have encountered.

"This series is one big serial and the most ambitious story we've ever made," writer Russell T Davies said.

Filming for the five-part series, which is due to be broadcast in 2009, has already begun in Cardiff.

John Barrowman will star as Captain Jack Harkness with Eve Myles - as Gwen Cooper - and Gareth David-Lloyd - as Ianto Jones - also returning in the third series of the Doctor Who spin-off.

"The new series of Torchwood is hugely bold and promises to be bigger and better than ever - the audience is in for an amazing ride," Davies said.

Julie Gardner, head of drama for BBC Wales, said: "We hope to make Torchwood a gripping and surprising TV event with storylines that push our team into greater danger and sacrifice."

The second series of the hit drama, which has been sold to more than 20 countries, attracted audiences of about 3.4 million when it was broadcast on BBC Two earlier this year.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:TORCHWOOD...FARK YEAH!
Coming again to save the motherfarking day yeah!

TORCHWOOD...FARK YEAH!
Having sex with all your team-mates is the only way yeah!

Aliens your game is through cause now you have to answer too,

TORCHWOOD...FARK YEAH!
So Captain Jack will make you lick his butt, and suck on his balls...

er....Torchwood....yeah...

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Trailer for Torchwood: Children of Earth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 pm

I wasn't allowed to see it. Shit. Not available in my area. Shit.
It's payback for that Tea Party horsecrap, isn't it?
My ancestors were Huron! We weren't even drinking the filthy shite!
Lemme look at the ^*%&^$*&%#R footage!
The Vicar

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:20 am

The Vicar wrote:I wasn't allowed to see it. Shit. Not available in my area. Shit.
It's payback for that Tea Party horsecrap, isn't it?
My ancestors were Huron! We weren't even drinking the filthy shite!
Lemme look at the ^*%&^$*&%#R footage!

"Not available in your area"

Ha Ha.
It is to laugh.

Here ya go, Padre.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :!: :!:
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Seems an airdate is now set - 4th to 10th July - less than two weeks away, but the BBC aren't bothering to advertise it for some reason..which makes me think the airdate might be moved again. Here are newish trailers from BBC America and Australian TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZmjbWYGME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-RsdkaIihA

Note - I think BBC America are showing it a week later than the UK.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Looks good. I cannot wait to see it next year...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Looks good. I cannot wait to see it next year...

Next year?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Thats when I assume the Americas will get to see it...

I could be wrong..
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Thats when I assume the Americas will get to see it...

I could be wrong..

See above - BBC America is showing it one week after BBC UK.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Looks promising. Smells a bit Children of Men-ish to me, but that's not the worst thing that could happen.
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 pm

First part was rather good indeed.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:16 pm

I reckon Face of Bo, last episode.
Just to wrap it all up nicely, seeing as it's the last series.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Is this really the same show that gave us episodes like "Cyberwoman"?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Finally RTD was able see an idea through right to the end without the use of some reset button.

It was another compelling and relentless episode and finally demonstrated the courage of its convictions.

...and apparently it's not the last ever Torchwood.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Bloody hell, it was good, really good. Bring on series 4!
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Nick on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Is this miniseries a good place to jump in or should I be grabbing S01E01 and watching it all?
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Nick wrote:Is this miniseries a good place to jump in or should I be grabbing S01E01 and watching it all?

Great question, I was wondering the same....
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm

All you really need to know is that Jack Harkness is immortal due to something the Tardis did to him and that the Torchwood team lost 2 of their members last season. The first season is pretty poor with a couple of standout mometns and season 2 is a big improvement but not essential viewing.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby travis-dane on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Nick wrote:Is this miniseries a good place to jump in or should I be grabbing S01E01 and watching it all?

If you wanna see Spike from Buffy and Captain Jack get it on, watch the second season.
But the whole show is pretty good, there are 2 or 3 stinkers, but every show has some "not so good" episodes.
Like FG pointed out, the Cyberwoman episode is kinda bad.
If you can watch them all. There are just around 30 episodes(season three included).
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Sort've what TonyWilson says. This third series is pretty much standalone with anything essential to know being explained to new viewers.

The first season wasn't all that great. This was partly due to to the channel it was placed on originally, partly because it was trying too hard to be something it didn't need to be and partly because it was being held back by a dangling plot thread from Doctor Who. One episode was really good - "Small Worlds".

The second season was far better. It'd changed channel to BBC2, it was able to stand on it's own feet and the storylines changed to harder scifi, horror and drama.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Sort've what TonyWilson says. This third series is pretty much standalone with anything essential to know being explained to new viewers.

The first season wasn't all that great. This was partly due to to the channel it was placed on originally, partly because it was trying too hard to be something it didn't need to be and partly because it was being held back by a dangling plot thread from Doctor Who. One episode was really good - "Small Worlds".

The second season was far better. It'd changed channel to BBC2, it was able to stand on it's own feet and the storylines changed to harder scifi, horror and drama.

excellent, thanks very much guys.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Jakester on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 pm

Holy fuck, that was awesome.
And...well, fuck.

The whole shebang was epic and it felt very large scale. It didn't seem overly long, and the threat felt pretty immediate and sickening. I'd have loved to seen some of the aftermath, but talking about it any more would tread into spoiler material, and I'll wait until it's aired on BBCAmerica.
It was a great (and not altogether pleasant) ride. Excellent storytelling from RTD & Co.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nick on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Thanks, I'll start watching this season then
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial