Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:55 pm

Seeing as discussion in the Studio 60 thread turned to Friday Night Lights, I figured I'd start this thread up. This is easily one of the best new dramas of the fall, and one of the most gripping hourlongs I've seen in quite some time.

I'm a huge fan of the show's approach, to continue the documentary-like, fly-on-the-wall voyeurism of the film, and I find it remarkable that the show's construction is as good as it is. Those football scenes are incredibly well choreographed and cut together considering they're on a TV schedule and budget.

The only major criticism I have thus far is the promos NBC uses to promote the show. They use rock music and smash cuts to make it seem like Dawson's Creek meets Varsity Blues (James Van der Beek love much?), and the show is way, way more subtle than all that.

If anyone out there isn't checking this out, I'd highly recommend you do.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby John-Locke on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:58 pm

It's remarkable how similar it is to the film in look, tone and execution, I was a fan of the film and having a similar story play out in much more detail week by week is something I'm going to keep coming back to.

The girls are all HOT too.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:59 pm

I coach Texas high school football... and, well I'll just say this show is the Hollywood version.

And that Early Edition guy is terrible casting.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:00 pm

Oh, and I really love the film, so I'm not hating here. The film is actually my favorite football movie.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:04 pm

I was a doubter of the film. I'd heard all the praise, thought I'd seen the exact same thing before, but then I finally sat down to see it and it blew me away. The entire thing felt like a rolling montage, but in a good way. And the show somehow manages to work it exactly the same, keeps everything feeling authentic.

My girlfriend was hesitant about watching the pilot, didn't think it'd be very good, but mid-way through that first game, she said she'd never been as nervous watching a TV show, she wanted them to win that badly.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:09 pm

So I stayed after Heroes to give this show a shot considering how much I do like the movie and I was quite impressed. I will definitely be coming back next week to watch.

It isn't sticking on Mondays right? Its normal air date is tuesday?
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby lyra belacqua on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:17 pm

I had wanted to start a thread for FNL, but I was scared that my posts would turn into earnest gushing. Because that's what I love about this show-it's earnest. I cry during every show. Usually more than once.

I love teenagers. I love how life is drama to them. And I love how they see everything and know nothing. And how they are aware that there is life out there, sometimes very aware, but still have a hard time looking past the end of their nose.

And while it's sad that football (or basketball, depending on where you live) is LIFE to many of the players, it is a great metaphor. And I'm loving how FNL is using it so far. And what other show has a paralyzed 18-year-old as a main character? I'm not liking the Lyla-Tim hookup, but since I love Matt Saracen and his grandma, I can go with the flow.

I wasn't expecting much out of the actress that plays Tyra, but she was awesome in last night's episode. I wanted to hug her so bad after that guy left her with breakfast.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Re: Friday Night Lights

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:28 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Seeing as discussion in the Studio 60 thread turned to Friday Night Lights, I figured I'd start this thread up. This is easily one of the best new dramas of the fall, and one of the most gripping hourlongs I've seen in quite some time.

I'm a huge fan of the show's approach, to continue the documentary-like, fly-on-the-wall voyeurism of the film, and I find it remarkable that the show's construction is as good as it is. Those football scenes are incredibly well choreographed and cut together considering they're on a TV schedule and budget.

The only major criticism I have thus far is the promos NBC uses to promote the show. They use rock music and smash cuts to make it seem like Dawson's Creek meets Varsity Blues (James Van der Beek love much?), and the show is way, way more subtle than all that.

If anyone out there isn't checking this out, I'd highly recommend you do.


I was going to do the same thing when I got home from work, but you beat me to it.

I just finished watching last nights episode and the show continues to impress.

The only major qualm with the show is the music is a bit too dominating at times. I've been a fan of all the bands theyve been playing in the show for sometime but it's just too much.

Nachokoolaid wrote:I coach Texas high school football... and, well I'll just say this show is the Hollywood version.

And that Early Edition guy is terrible casting.


I was actually really curious about that as the show feels very natural. However I don't really feel like it's the actual football in the show thats won be over but the smaller moments between the characters.

I thought Kyle Chandler was doing a pretty good job in the role myself. I mean he's no Billy Bob, but who is. ;)

Nachokoolaid wrote:Oh, and I really love the film, so I'm not hating here. The film is actually my favorite football movie.


I thought I'd hate the movie as I generally don't like sports movies of any type (sans Aspen Extreme for some reason) but it really won me over.

I am very curious what Peven has to say once he finally gives the show a chance.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:52 pm

"Just cuz we're cripples doesn't mean we have to have the crumbs."

This show consistantly breaks my heart.

And the sophmore having the 3-way is waaaay to accurate. I've heard my fair share of stories, but the kids NEVER tell the guidance counselor. NEVER. They're too high up on the food chain.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:35 pm

Man I loved Saracen trying to hold his own with Coach even though it was short lived ;)

I really love the Julie Saracen relationship.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Pudie on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Fuck Heroes(not really, it's a great show). Best new show of the season. I love how it takes the cliches that come with high school and makes them so much more. Each and every character has some real depth to them, and the show has a huge amount of heart. Riggins is probably the best thing on the show, although each actor has had their time to shine. And major props to the actress who played Lyla for her work this past episode. Emmy worthy in every possible way.

And Julie pwning her dad via phone message = one of the funniest fucking things EVER.
Image
User avatar
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: *witty remark*

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:15 pm

Anyone watch last nights episode? I don't know if it was on at the same time as Lost so I don't know how many of you had the chance to watch it.

Damn that was a great episode, the family argument at the start was funny, the timing and the family dynamic is pretty damn near spot on, or feels it anyway, the racist coach thing was dealt in an even handed manor, I actually did feel sorry for the guy and the resolution although forced through the narrative with the Sheriffs was very satisfying.

Two top moments in this episode, first when Coach goes in to see his wife with the Guidance Councilor crisis, damn that was just hilarious, those two have great timing and chemistry and his "I'm scared of all three of you" line was just perfect. Secondly when it all kicked off on the field, sure it could have been more violent but still it was quite a rush to watch when everyone on the bench just charged at the other team.

Just a Smashing episode of quality drama, I hope this doesn't get canceled so we get a second season.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:20 pm

Thank god you guys love this show because I thought I was would be thrown out of the zone for starting a FNL thread. I put it on tivo becaue the time slot was vacant and boy am I glad a did. I like to wait three weeks and then watch three episodes in a row. If i was a teenager I would be all over this show...


is FNL very popular with the young ones?
Image
Image
User avatar
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:26 am
Location: Mississippi State University...its not so bad

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:25 pm

I loved the "all the other parents picked up their perps" comment. Fn hilarious.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:26 pm

I imagine it gets quite a wide demographic of ages both male and female, you don't even need to like Football to get it plus for every well done teenage dilemma/drama (and they aren't condescending to adults) there is another adult storyline which shouldn't exclude the younger viewers.

Just quality Drama done right.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:42 pm

I know for a fact it's not doing great ratings wise but I am unsure what the actual demographic of viewers.

The only people I personally know that watch it are my brother, his gf, and I. Ive tried to get others to watch it but they say they dont have time.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:49 pm

It seems to be scheduled on a different night each couple of weeks at the moment, they move it around all over the place, I think it's been on every night of the week so far so I'm not surprised it isn't doing too well, maybe they feel that enough people are watching it whenever they put it on though because otherwise it would have been pulled like Kidnapped & Smith (also NBC) you'd think.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:15 pm

John-Locke wrote:It seems to be scheduled on a different night each couple of weeks at the moment, they move it around all over the place, I think it's been on every night of the week so far so I'm not surprised it isn't doing too well, maybe they feel that enough people are watching it whenever they put it on though because otherwise it would have been pulled like Kidnapped & Smith (also NBC) you'd think.


From what Ive noticed it's only switched time periods onece (around christmas break) when NBC rearraged their schedule. It went from Tuesdays to Wednesdays.

Yeah it was lucky to have received a full season, which at least shows the faith they have in the quality of the show. Hopefully it will stick around.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:45 pm

I finally caught back up on this the other night, and hot damn if this isn't one of my favorite TV shows of this--or any--year. It is just THAT good.

There's a quality about Friday Night Lights that's hard to explain, a certain authenticity that makes you forget you're watching television. It's earnest but not schmaltzy; familiar but not conventional. It has a modest, quiet nobility to it, and because of that I feel moved--genuinely moved--when characters I care about confront situations I can relate to.

It's beautiful, beautiful stuff, and I hope to God it gets a second season. More people should be watching.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:22 am

I didn't give a shit about the real-life football douchefucks when I was in high school.

Why would I care about Hollywood versions of the same shitbags all these years later? Looks like "The O.C." with pads and helmets.

No, thanks, I'm all set.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:08 am

Cool interview with actor/nerd Scott Porter can be found here
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:33 am

this show is one more example of hollywood/TV pandering to the teen set. listen, i am the father of teenagers, i substitute teach teenagers, and they are no where near as sophisticated and mature as they way this show depicts them. they don't talk the way this show has them talking. i guarantee football coaches at redneck schools aren't being represented accurately with this show either. what the show is is a fairy tale, nice fluffy feel good schmaltz.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:20 pm

Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!



Because the movie sucked ass and the show ass sucks!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Peven wrote:this show is one more example of hollywood/TV pandering to the teen set. listen, i am the father of teenagers, i substitute teach teenagers, and they are no where near as sophisticated and mature as they way this show depicts them. they don't talk the way this show has them talking. i guarantee football coaches at redneck schools aren't being represented accurately with this show either. what the show is is a fairy tale, nice fluffy feel good schmaltz.


Well what the fuck do you expect? Its not a documentary, its a fucking hollywood production. If i want to how REAL teenagers talk and act, I'll go to the mall and hang out in the food court (I'll be the creepy guy in the corner wearing an overcoat and sippin' on an Orange Julius).
Lighten the hell up man.


buster00 wrote:I didn't give a shit about the real-life football douchefucks when I was in high school.


Jeebus... get beat up much in high school, eh?
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15696
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:28 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!



Because the movie sucked ass and the show ass sucks!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... :roll:

Let me guess: you loved Varsity Blues, didn't you?
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Dawson Leery on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:33 pm

I liked Varsity Blues...
User avatar
Dawson Leery
GLIB
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Don't talk shit about VB, robo. We don't want this on our hands...

Image
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:38 pm

so sorry wrote:
Peven wrote:this show is one more example of hollywood/TV pandering to the teen set. listen, i am the father of teenagers, i substitute teach teenagers, and they are no where near as sophisticated and mature as they way this show depicts them. they don't talk the way this show has them talking. i guarantee football coaches at redneck schools aren't being represented accurately with this show either. what the show is is a fairy tale, nice fluffy feel good schmaltz.


Well what the fuck do you expect? Its not a documentary, its a fucking hollywood production. If i want to how REAL teenagers talk and act, I'll go to the mall and hang out in the food court (I'll be the creepy guy in the corner wearing an overcoat and sippin' on an Orange Julius).
Lighten the hell up man.


buster00 wrote:I didn't give a shit about the real-life football douchefucks when I was in high school.


Jeebus... get beat up much in high school, eh?


Its not that one gets beat up, its just the fact that schools treat their Sports teams as if they were roman gods or some shit like that, which is a sad look at how society's standards are on Sports.

In my HS, the fucking football and basketball team all thought they were king shit. Half of them were dumbfucks who barly graduated, the other half were cocky motherfuckers who thougth they were above everything. Im sure most have gone on to become date rapist...

Its a small reason why I dont care for sports movies or shows.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Dawson Leery on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Well, I certainly wasn't with the "in crowd" at Capeside High, but its no secret that American society has placed alot of value on sports, and has done so for decades. This isn't a new phenomenon.

Robo, I don't know you at all, but like my friend Pacey ussed to always say, "to each his own".
User avatar
Dawson Leery
GLIB
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:00 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Its not that one gets beat up, its just the fact that schools treat their Sports teams as if they were roman gods or some shit like that, which is a sad look at how society's standards are on Sports.

In my HS, the fucking football and basketball team all thought they were king shit. Half of them were dumbfucks who barly graduated, the other half were cocky motherfuckers who thougth they were above everything. Im sure most have gone on to become date rapist...

Its a small reason why I dont care for sports movies or shows.

Dude, have you actually WATCHED an episode of the show?! Because as much time as it spends observing the life and times of these football players, it probably spends more each week critiquing a society which values high school football above most all else. Sure, the kids, the parents, the fans are all caught up in the hoopla, but there is a serious downside to that absurdity, and that's where this show achieves its greatness.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:01 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
In my HS, the fucking football and basketball team all thought they were king shit. Half of them were dumbfucks who barly graduated, the other half were cocky motherfuckers who thougth they were above everything. Im sure most have gone on to become date rapist...


Right on. No, I didn't get beat up in school, but I hated the way the jockholes got everything handed to them on a silver platter (I wrestled, like the rest of the burnouts -- and I wasn't very good at it).

I don't hate sports or movies about sports; I just never thought much of the "Golden Boys" who could get away with murder just because they made varsity and had rich parents. Hell, a lot of 'em made varsity because they had rich parents.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:06 pm

buster00 wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
In my HS, the fucking football and basketball team all thought they were king shit. Half of them were dumbfucks who barly graduated, the other half were cocky motherfuckers who thougth they were above everything. Im sure most have gone on to become date rapist...


Right on. No, I didn't get beat up in school, but I hated the way the jockholes got everything handed to them on a silver platter (I wrestled, like the rest of the burnouts -- and I wasn't very good at it).

I don't hate sports or movies about sports; I just never thought much of the "Golden Boys" who could get away with murder just because they made varsity and had rich parents. Hell, a lot of 'em made varsity because they had rich parents.

But, again, that's not this show. Sure, they go into that aspect of the world, but then in the next scene they show a high school football god who burned out real good. It's exceptionally even-handed about this kinda stuff.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby buster00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Fair enough. I do hear a lot of good things about the show; I've just never sat down to watch it (or the movie).

There are positive opinions posted in here from people I trust. Maybe I should get around to it sooner than later.
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:It s not that one gets beat up, its just the fact that schools treat their Sports teams as if they were roman gods or some shit like that, which is a sad look at how society's standards are on Sports.

In my HS, the fucking football and basketball team all thought they were king shit. Half of them were dumbfucks who barly graduated, the other half were cocky motherfuckers who thougth they were above everything. Im sure most have gone on to become date rapist...

Its a small reason why I dont care for sports movies or shows.

Dude, have you actually WATCHED an episode of the show?! Because as much time as it spends observing the life and times of these football players, it probably spends more each week critiquing a society which values high school football above most all else. Sure, the kids, the parents, the fans are all caught up in the hoopla, but there is a serious downside to that absurdity, and that's where this show achieves its greatness.



Didnt the movie already do that? The hell is the point of dragging it out in an hourly format each week.

The only good thing about the movie was that the team didnt win for once.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:38 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Didnt the movie already do that? The hell is the point of dragging it out in an hourly format each week.

The point is they're not dragging it out; there's just more story to tell. Television is simply a better medium to tell a year-long story about a diverse group of characters, and this way you go with them on the week-after-week journey from start to finish. It's more fulfilling.

It's like Goodfellas and The Sopranos, or Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. One might give you a full picture of the world, but the other gives you a complete one.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 pm

bastard_robo wrote:The only good thing about the movie was that the team didnt win for once.


Thanks for the spoiler warning douchebag!
Kidding...

I've never seen a minute of this show, nor will I, but it certainly has a reason to exist, we just aren't the demographic its aimed at.

I bet you there are a ton of jocks out there saying that Battlestar galactic is the biggest waste of airtime there is...

Colby, star QB: "Hey Bif, did you catch last week's BSG?"

Bif, Wideout and homecoming king: "Dude, that show is for GEEKS! What happened to you man?"

Colby: "I'm just saying, its a well written show that deals with current affairs in a sci-fi format."

Bif: "dude, you're freakin' me out. Next thing you're gonna say is that you still read comic books."

Colby: "Forgot it man. Hey, what'dya say we go gang rape that cheerleader?"

Bif:
"now you're talking!"
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15696
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:23 pm

so sorry wrote:
I've never seen a minute of this show, nor will I, but it certainly has a reason to exist, we just aren't the demographic its aimed at.



I think you'd be surprised if you did watch it, it most certainly is not the O.C with Football, it's completely it's own thing and it's brilliant and I think you'd really like it if you gave it a chance.

I watch a shit load of TV shows and FNL is one of the really good ones, I watch a lot of shit too (Prison Break, House, The Unit, Everybody Hates Chris, Supernatural, Smallville etc.) and it most certainly doesn't fit into that category of shitty yet entertaining shows, it's up there with Lost, Heroes, BsG and the HBO/Showtime shows in terms of quality.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:37 pm

My friend was in the movie...
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:My friend was in the movie...


i heard Sam Raimi was up for that role.....
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:40 pm

IPAMPILASH!

/sarcasm

;) :) :P
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:40 pm

John-Locke wrote:
so sorry wrote:
I've never seen a minute of this show, nor will I, but it certainly has a reason to exist, we just aren't the demographic its aimed at.



I think you'd be surprised if you did watch it, it most certainly is not the O.C with Football, it's completely it's own thing and it's brilliant and I think you'd really like it if you gave it a chance.

I watch a shit load of TV shows and FNL is one of the really good ones, I watch a lot of shit too (Prison Break, House, The Unit, Everybody Hates Chris, Supernatural, Smallville etc.) and it most certainly doesn't fit into that category of shitty yet entertaining shows, it's up there with Lost, Heroes, BsG and the HBO/Showtime shows in terms of quality.


Absolutely John this is such an amazing group of characters where each one is given history and stories and the actors/actresses all do wonderful jobs.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 pm

I love this show. I think I've said it before, somewhere in here.

And I don't just love this show, I love it so much that I cried over the last episode. Flat out bawling over Julie and Matt not having sex and my boy Tim getting crushed once again.

What I love most is how earnest it is. Oh, sure their are soapy elements and some plot points that stretch reality, but these people know how to role with it. Tami's speech to Eric about how they raised a good girl and that she can't tell her daughter that she'll go to hell for touching a boy was -hand's down- the fucking best piece of acting I've seen in awhile. It was like I wasn't even looking at an actress, I was watching Tami Taylor talk to her husband about their only child.

I love this show. I love the actors and the characters and I fucking love high school. I want to keep this show forever.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:44 pm

One of my favorite moments on this show came a few episodes back, when the cheerleaders were giving Lyla shit for hooking up with Riggins. Some nasty girl posted some shit about Lyla online, and we first find out about this when said nasty girl's father walks into Buddy's car dealership and personally apologizes for what his daughter did. My daughter did wrong by your daughter, so I came hear to make it right by you.

I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby wonkabar on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:49 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.


Image
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6220
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:50 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:One of my favorite moments on this show came a few episodes back, when the cheerleaders were giving Lyla shit for hooking up with Riggins. Some nasty girl posted some shit about Lyla online, and we first find out about this when said nasty girl's father walks into Buddy's car dealership and personally apologizes for what his daughter did. My daughter did wrong by your daughter, so I came hear to make it right by you.

I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.


I KNOW! Or when we first really saw how Matt had to care for his grandma and he sang her the song as his grandpa. Just. kills. me.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 pm

wonkabar wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.


Image

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Well played, sir.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:04 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:I love this show. I think I've said it before, somewhere in here.

And I don't just love this show, I love it so much that I cried over the last episode. Flat out bawling over Julie and Matt not having sex and my boy Tim getting crushed once again.

What I love most is how earnest it is. Oh, sure their are soapy elements and some plot points that stretch reality, but these people know how to role with it. Tami's speech to Eric about how they raised a good girl and that she can't tell her daughter that she'll go to hell for touching a boy was -hand's down- the fucking best piece of acting I've seen in awhile. It was like I wasn't even looking at an actress, I was watching Tami Taylor talk to her husband about their only child.

I love this show. I love the actors and the characters and I fucking love high school. I want to keep this show forever.


Amen to that, most of the episode was brilliant, that moment was the strongest but the whole episode was just littered with great moments and looks from characters.

The show has such a great cast, so many of them could go on and have great Hollywood or TV careers, my predictions are that the guy who plays Riggins is going to be the next River Pheonix, he's a pretty good actor and obviously he's handsome but more than that he's just one of those people who looks good on camera and has real brooding screen presence. Smash is going to go far too, I think he'll be a superstar like Jamie Foxx meets Tom Cruise. The girl who plays Tyra apart from being super hot is going to do well I think, maybe get herself a good career or maybe do a few Horror movies before disappearing. The girl who plays Julie is 17 in real life so I don't feel quite so dirty for thinking the thoughts I did in the episode (remember it's 16 in the UK, still I would feel rotten), I don't know if she'll have a good career or not but she sure is cute. Kyle Chandler has proved he has some good acting chops so far, I hope he becomes a well used character actor as he's as good at emoting with his face and body gestures as he is his voice, the lady who plays his wife is also a fine actress but because she's not really a great looker (not that she's ugly) I doubt she'll ever do much outside this show, I hope I'm proven wrong as she's the type of actress who is more believable because she doesn't looks so perfect.

MasterWhedon wrote:One of my favorite moments on this show came a few episodes back, when the cheerleaders were giving Lyla shit for hooking up with Riggins. Some nasty girl posted some shit about Lyla online, and we first find out about this when said nasty girl's father walks into Buddy's car dealership and personally apologizes for what his daughter did. My daughter did wrong by your daughter, so I came hear to make it right by you.

I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!1111111111

Douche.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:48 pm

John-Locke wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!1111111111

Douche.


Don't let the haters get to you my dearest darling MasterWhedon. I love you all the more for showing all you soft insides to the hard cruel world. :wink:


And John! Ms. Coach Taylor is fuckin' hot! And while the girl that plays Julie may be legal, I cannot think dirty thoughts about her. She's too damn innocent looking.
Image
User avatar
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Postby John-Locke on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:56 pm

Well I can

:twisted:
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:16 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:One of my favorite moments on this show came a few episodes back, when the cheerleaders were giving Lyla shit for hooking up with Riggins. Some nasty girl posted some shit about Lyla online, and we first find out about this when said nasty girl's father walks into Buddy's car dealership and personally apologizes for what his daughter did. My daughter did wrong by your daughter, so I came hear to make it right by you.

I remember being struck by how powerful a moment that was. For as much as the show examines the bravado of what it means to be a football stud, it also gives you these true, pure moments of what it means to be a man.


dissimilar from reading that post, which was a true, pure moment of vaginal discharge...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
User avatar
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 9407
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am
Location: Blacktionville

Next

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron