Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 10, 2007 5:29 pm

TV Guide is reporting a second season pickup of 22 episodes!

clear eyes! Full Hearts! CANT LOSE!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Thu May 10, 2007 7:02 pm

YAY!

The Season finale was pretty damn sweet.

Sheeeeeit, I can't remember if they won or lost though, they won didn't they? Didn't the Coach still leave for Austin anyways?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DDMAN26 on Thu May 10, 2007 10:37 pm

YES!!! I am a happy happy man.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:37 am

Money back guarantee on Friday Night Lights DVD.

You have no reason not to watch this show!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:22 pm

Every episode from Season One is online over at NBC.com.

Just watched the first three episodes the other day and it blows me away that this show didn't get nominated for the Best Drama Emmy.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DDMAN26 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 am

Picked up the dvd yesterday. I can't wait to revisit it.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:06 am

MasterWhedon wrote:Every episode from Season One is online over at NBC.com.

Just watched the first three episodes the other day and it blows me away that this show didn't get nominated for the Best Drama Emmy.

Awesome I am going to tell all my friends who wouldnt watch it when it was originally on.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 am

Heheh... this a show, she just a popped uppa onna my radar, eh? They played a the scene onna the NPR anna I gotta to tell a you, the Dino, he was a blown away by a the quality of a the acting inna the scene...

I'm a gonna to have a to check outta the boxed set, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Heheh... this a show, she just a popped uppa onna my radar, eh? They played a the scene onna the NPR anna I gotta to tell a you, the Dino, he was a blown away by a the quality of a the acting inna the scene...

I'm a gonna to have a to check outta the boxed set, no?

There is a money back guarantee I posted above for the box set.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Jessalyn Gilsig from Nip/Tuck has got a recurring role on FNL playing Connie Britton's sister.

Source: Michael Ausiello
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am

Yahoo TV has the entire season premiere here!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:10 am

Can I see the 2nd episode now please. Damn.

I love this fn show.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby lyra belacqua on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:12 pm

I loved the first episode, except I'm very worried about the Landry/Tyra storyline.

Is it okay that I talk about it here? We don't have SPOILERS on the title, so I won't say more than...Landry is the kind of kid that would totally call his father and if FNL don't let him do the *right* thing in the situation, they are treading waaaay too close to One Tree Hill territory.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:04 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:I loved the first episode, except I'm very worried about the Landry/Tyra storyline.

Is it okay that I talk about it here? We don't have SPOILERS on the title, so I won't say more than...Landry is the kind of kid that would totally call his father and if FNL don't let him do the *right* thing in the situation, they are treading waaaay too close to One Tree Hill territory.

That is the one storyline I am worried about as well. At this point I think he is posturing for Tyra. Also, he was defending himself and Tyra from the rapist
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 pm

I heard there is an episode entitled the confession.

Man ohh man was the final minutes of last nights episode good. I cant express enough how good this show is. Tyra and Landy = awesomeness.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:29 pm

People should be talking about this show damnit!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Agreed.

I love this show. Have loved this show. Although I was a bit miffed they made coach Taylor coach of the Panthers again so soon. I would have liked for that to have taken a bit more time. It all seemed WAY rushed and they could have totally stretched that out and made it a slow build instead of dumping all the drama on so thick.

Still, an excellent show that deserves an audience.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:55 pm

I was curious if you still watched this show lecko.

I would've liked them to milk that tension some more too but whatever choices they seem to make with the show they nail the emotional core at least.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Like many have said, the Landry/Tyra storyline is really pissing me off. Just doesn't seem to fit in this show, if you ask me. I really hope that gets wrapped up soon and the show grounds itself again.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:59 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Like many have said, the Landry/Tyra storyline is really pissing me off. Just doesn't seem to fit in this show, if you ask me. I really hope that gets wrapped up soon and the show grounds itself again.

I like them together. I just dont like how theyve gone about it and it taints what coiuld be great.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:02 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Like many have said, the Landry/Tyra storyline is really pissing me off. Just doesn't seem to fit in this show, if you ask me. I really hope that gets wrapped up soon and the show grounds itself again.

I like them together. I just dont like how theyve gone about it and it taints what coiuld be great.

Agreed. The idea of a "traumatic event" leading them to each other is a solid thought, but this is just WAY too over-the-top for my liking. This show needs to have is feet SOLIDLY on the ground. They are allowed ONE overly dramatic moment per season, but this is trying my patience. The first season was just SO kick ass, but hastily breaking up Matt and the daughter...rushing Taylor back into Dillon...all of this is really making me mad.

BUT, the Layla story is a good one and Riggs is the best part of the show...hands down.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:06 am

Yeah Riggins is great. Him and Street have great chemistry together that you just buy their friendship with all it's ups and downs.

See teh Matt/Julie thing makes sense to me. What teenage girl oir boy for that matter has any actual reasons for the things they do. It's a totally realistic for her to just one day decide that shes sick of him and then another decide she loves him again. That's just how things work.

The Lyla and religion thing I don't really buy though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:08 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Yeah Riggins is great. Him and Street have great chemistry together that you just buy their friendship with all it's ups and downs.

See teh Matt/Julie thing makes sense to me. What teenage girl oir boy for that matter has any actual reasons for the things they do. It's a totally realistic for her to just one day decide that shes sick of him and then another decide she loves him again. That's just how things work.

The Lyla and religion thing I don't really buy though.

I should have stated that better: I like the breaking up Matt/Julie thing...I just don't like the way it was handled in the overall story. Having Julie freak out like that so suddenly. It was good in concept, but not execution.

And I like the Lyla thing. I think it fits especially well given the location (Texas. I mean I have seen Jesus Camp). So, for now, I am buying it. I just hope they don't over do it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:12 am

Leckomaniac wrote:[Having Julie freak out like that so suddenly. It was good in concept, but not execution.

Again Im going with the whole teenage girl thing here ;). It makes sense with her dad suddenly leaving, her mom not paying attention to her with a new kid on the way. The only way she is able to get her family to notice her and show their love and support was through acting out. I have seen thihs way too many times.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:33 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:[Having Julie freak out like that so suddenly. It was good in concept, but not execution.

Again Im going with the whole teenage girl thing here ;). It makes sense with her dad suddenly leaving, her mom not paying attention to her with a new kid on the way. The only way she is able to get her family to notice her and show their love and support was through acting out. I have seen thihs way too many times.

No, I like that. I just think it happened WAY too fast. I would have preferred a slower build I mean it reached a breaking point by the 2nd/3rd episode!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:34 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

No, I like that. I just think it happened WAY too fast. I would have preferred a slower build I mean it reached a breaking point by the 2nd/3rd episode!

I understand now. Yeah that couldve been cool.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:35 am

But, again, this is all in hindsight. I think they wanted to grab attention by throwing out loads of drama. Hopefully, now they can slow it down and build towards a conclusion...

...oh wait no they can't because a strike is coming that will cut the season short.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:42 am

Leckomaniac wrote:...oh wait no they can't because a strike is coming that will cut the season short.

And we probably wont get another season either. :P
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:43 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:...oh wait no they can't because a strike is coming that will cut the season short.

And we probably wont get another season either. :P

Too true.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:37 pm

I'm four episodes into the first season and I'm hooked. It's brilliant, I've just watched the first four one after each other with no breaks. It feels impressionistic on some levels but very precise on others, the way it's shot reminds me of BSG which is no bad thing either.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:41 am

I would rank the first season of this show as one of the best seasons of any show in recent memory. It really is hard to fathom that this show was broadcast on NBC and not HBO or another cable channel. I abandoned the show midway through the second season because I had some serious issues with a couple story lines. I decided the other day to check it out again and have been watching the second season on Hulu. While I still am frustrated by certain decisions by the writers I simply cannot deny the quality of the direction and the acting. This is probably one of the best ensemble casts on television. Even the story line I hated the most (Landy the killer!) was made tolerable by the superb acting of Landy and his father. Though not as complete as the first season, the second season of FNL was superb and I will most assuredly watch the third season when it airs on NBC. Boy, does that network know how to fuck up a good thing or what?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:17 pm

To answer the question brought up by the thread title:

Why Aren't You Watching Friday Night Lights?!

BECAUSE THIS SHOW COLDPLAY G@Y!

in the words of the clerks cartoon trailer:

'THE MOVIE SUCKED ASS AND THE SHOW ASS SUCKS" - some highschool fuck @ aintitcool news
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 am

I want more episodes so badly. I just can't believe a show this good couldn't make it. The third season was all sorts of awesome. Top notch stuff. I bet it would have been even more impressive had they been able to do a full 22 episode season.

If there is any justice in the world the show will get another season. With NBC or any other network. It will fit in nicely as HBO or some other cable show. Just don't let FNL die. There is such rich story potential that to cancel it now would be a mighty waste. I can already see the next season in my head. It practically writes itself.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 am

Well, folks, THERE IS JUSTICE IN THE WORLD!

FNL RENEWED FOR TWO 13-EPISODE SEASONS!

Taste that? That is justice and it tastes sweet.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:31 am

Excellent news.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:19 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Well, folks, THERE IS JUSTICE IN THE WORLD!

FNL RENEWED FOR TWO 13-EPISODE SEASONS!

Taste that? That is justice and it tastes sweet.

Everyones been posting that today taking Ausiellos half news and turning it into a story. No wonder that guys got his head up his ass.

Will it be picked up for 2 more seasons? probably. nbc aint got much right now and directv is splitting the bill that to me spells why not.

On the other hand Katims is moving on to another show this fall and or will atleast be splitting his time. That doesnt necessarily bode well for me. Take that with most of the cast moving on and Im not sure another season is exactly what I want. I do however hope for the best and believe in the showrunners as the proven sans season 2 to be great storytellers.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby fangeek on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:19 pm

frankly if NBC doesnt pick up this show for 2 more seasons then whoever is running the studio needs to be fired. So maybe it doesnt get high ratings but compared to the other crap NBC has on right now you would think they would be dying to keep something as well written, directed, and acted on the air. this would be the perfect time for NBC to show that they are about quality over quantity. Now that BSG is over i only have this show and lost as never miss tv. I wish i could tell the bosses at NBC that if they continue to put on good quality shows people the viewers will come back. Keep the lights on NBC!
fangeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I have been watching the fourth season on NBC. What a magnificent show. I have fallen into a routine with FNL. I underestimate it, watch it, and am surprised by its brilliance. Rinse and repeat. Season 4 may be the best yet. It doesn't hurt that it features some The Wire alum. For my money, Doctor Who and FNL are the best shows currently running on TV. It is a shame that a series this consistent has gone overlooked.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

No surprise there. NBC has a disgusting track record of shitting on very good shows ( Scrubs, Homicide, FNLs). Poltroons.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 am

Been meaning to dig up this thread. This season has been phenomenal. The cast and the writers are in top form. Anybody know how I can join the Television Academy so I can get Zach Gilford an Emmy for the latest episode? I was a bit amused at first that Dillon suddenly doubled in size and got a bad side but they made it work and watching Coach Taylor build a new team at East Dillon is perhaps more compelling than any Will They Make It To State? story of the previous years. I get why they kept Taylor Kitsch around but I hope they give him something to do other than hang out in Alicia Witt's backyard. (Because I want that job.)
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Been meaning to dig up this thread. This season has been phenomenal. The cast and the writers are in top form. Anybody know how I can join the Television Academy so I can get Zach Gilford an Emmy for the latest episode? I was a bit amused at first that Dillon suddenly doubled in size and got a bad side but they made it work and watching Coach Taylor build a new team at East Dillon is perhaps more compelling than any Will They Make It To State? story of the previous years. I get why they kept Taylor Kitsch around but I hope they give him something to do other than hang out in Alicia Witt's backyard. (Because I want that job.)

I caved and downloaded the last half of the season. Holy hell, they give Taylor Kitsch stuff to do. He has a great story. Real tragic stuff. My heavens, was this season fantastic.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Been meaning to dig up this thread. This season has been phenomenal. The cast and the writers are in top form. Anybody know how I can join the Television Academy so I can get Zach Gilford an Emmy for the latest episode? I was a bit amused at first that Dillon suddenly doubled in size and got a bad side but they made it work and watching Coach Taylor build a new team at East Dillon is perhaps more compelling than any Will They Make It To State? story of the previous years. I get why they kept Taylor Kitsch around but I hope they give him something to do other than hang out in Alicia Witt's backyard. (Because I want that job.)

I caved and downloaded the last half of the season. Holy hell, they give Taylor Kitsch stuff to do. He has a great story. Real tragic stuff. My heavens, was this season fantastic.

Dammit, now you're gonna make me download the rest of the season.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Lions win!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:03 am

I've been catching up with this show on Netflix, watching season 1 and part of season 2, and all I have to say is that I am completely and utterly disgusted that a character literally said the words "Herc's fault" in one episode and nobody here made a mention of it.

...well, there's probably more I have to say, but I'll work on that later.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 pm

I made this a sticky because the fifth and final season starts next Wednesday, Oct. 27. I figured other Zoners might want to say good-bye, or possibly catch up with it before it ends.

My breakdown of the series goes like this:

Season 1: Pretty solid overall, though it suffers from too many episodes and subplots that go nowhere. But the unique blend of public and personal drama that made Friday Night Lights so good is here in full force, not to mention some fantastic cinematography and music, which would also become a staple of the show.

Season 2: Soapy and kind of ridiculous. A great ensemble but at times it seemed on the verge of going off the rails.

Seasons 3 and 4: The best of the show by far. Switching to DirecTV and a 13-episode format completely re-energized the series, allowing them to get back to smaller, personal stories that were somehow more compelling than all the drunken quarterback, rapist murdering shenanigans of season 2.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:25 pm

The last episode ever of Friday Night Lights aired yesterday. I don't know if anybody else has been keeping up with it (it'll re-air on NBC in a few months I believe), but it was a good last season. The very last episode had the same problem that a lot of last episodes have, which is trying to tie everything up too neatly, but I liked the note they sent Tim Riggins out on, and also it's worth pointing out that the last few minutes of the show mirror the last few minutes of the film -- although with somewhat different results. Maybe not one of the best series ever (as some of its crew lay claim to), but great television all the same.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm

I just have the last episode to watch.

I will miss this show. It is honestly one of my all time favorites. So emotional. I really hope the last episode brings it. I didn't read your post Ribbons, out of fear of spoilers. :oops:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Im going to watch the last episode tonight. The only major complaint of this season so far is Tammys miraculous job opportunity. It came out of nowhere and the groundwork wasnt properly laid for it. It just came up to have contention and resolution for the series. It should have been handled a lot better than it was.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The only major complaint of this season so far is Tammys miraculous job opportunity. It came out of nowhere and the groundwork wasnt properly laid for it. It just came up to have contention and resolution for the series. It should have been handled a lot better than it was.

I thought about this a little when it happened too, and although it still seems unlikely to be offered a job as Dean of Admissions on the spot, they did try set it up a little. The best I can explain it is that West Dillon was a Blue Ribbon school during her two years as principal (despite the fact that she was forced to resign), which the president brings up when he tries to win her over. That, plus she was sent to a conference on education by the principal of East Dillon, which is where I assume she caught the attention of Braemore (the liberal arts college that hired her) for talking about shaking up the admissions process in the exact same way they were looking for. And her own desire for the job and the move was probably motivated by a sense of the Texas school system having failed Epyck. So in a sense they were building towards it the entire season, but I do agree that the actual job opportunity itself was pretty sudden.

There's another pretty shocking development in the last episode, which I guess they set up a little but still seems rather bizarre.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Ribbons wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The only major complaint of this season so far is Tammys miraculous job opportunity. It came out of nowhere and the groundwork wasnt properly laid for it. It just came up to have contention and resolution for the series. It should have been handled a lot better than it was.

I thought about this a little when it happened too, and although it still seems unlikely to be offered a job as Dean of Admissions on the spot, they did try set it up a little. The best I can explain it is that West Dillon was a Blue Ribbon school during her two years as principal (despite the fact that she was forced to resign), which the president brings up when he tries to win her over. That, plus she was sent to a conference on education by the principal of East Dillon, which is where I assume she caught the attention of Braemore (the liberal arts college that hired her) for talking about shaking up the admissions process in the exact same way they were looking for. And her own desire for the job and the move was probably motivated by a sense of the Texas school system having failed Epyck. So in a sense they were building towards it the entire season, but I do agree that the actual job opportunity itself was pretty sudden.

There's another pretty shocking development in the last episode, which I guess they set up a little but still seems rather bizarre.

I think they just could have spent more episodes developing it. Not the idea of the story in the first place. I would have liked to hear her answer to why she had to go from principal to guidance counselor though ahhaha.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial