R.I.P. Nigel Kneale, 1922-2006

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

R.I.P. Nigel Kneale, 1922-2006

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:25 pm

Thomas Nigel Kneale, one of the most influential writers / screenwriters of science fiction and horror narratives and tele- / screenplays, passed away on October 29th at the age of 84. Kneale was responsible for a genuine treasure trove of fantastic materials, starting with his writing The Quartermass Xperiment in the early 1950s and continuing on with a slew of highly imaginative and thought-provoking scripts for projects as diverse as the BBC's 1984, The Road, The Year of the Sex Olympics, and The Stone Tape. Kneale continued working well into the 1990s, his most notable contribution later in life likely the teleplay for Herbert Wise's terrifying adaptation of Susan Hill's The Woman in Black.

Nigel Kneale's wonderfully skewed vision of life (and afterlife) on our planet and beyond will be missed.

I liked the quartermass Xperiment, sad deal.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby minstrel on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:18 pm

I liked all the Quatermass stuff. I'd never heard of it until my roomie got me into it, and it's really cool. Science fiction with a creepy edge to it.

It's sad to hear of Nigel Kneale's passing. R.I.P., sir, and thanks for your wonderful work.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Vicarious on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:30 pm

This guy wrote the original draft of Halloween III. The ballsiest, crazy horror flick I've ever seen... A villain with a plot to kill all the children of the world? Tell me what's crazier than that.
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:41 pm

Good night, Mr. Kneale. I wish your most famous works had been better produced. Long before Independence Day, Kneale came up with the ultimate UFOrian irony: The believers turn out to be taken up with their alien friends and instead are blasted into nothingness.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Flumm on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:02 pm

I won't diminish with uninformed platitudes, which they would inevitably be by my hand, so in turn, I'll nod my head in acknowledgement and but wish you peace, Mr Kneale.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:25 pm

I forgot to mention that The Crawling Eye, the American movie version of Kneale's TV serial The Trollenberg Terror, was the first Comedy Central episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Saa-LUTE!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Return to Coaxial