Ultimate 80s Super TV Battle

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Who ruled your stupid, immature asses:

Automan
31%
Manimal
69%

Total votes : 13

Ultimate 80s Super TV Battle

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:10 pm

CHOOSE WISELY!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:12 pm

Crap, this made my head explode with nostalgia:

http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/primetime1.htm
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:13 pm

Definitely Manimal!

I just looked at the 79-80 TV schedule and I watched all those shows pretty much. I was only 6 in 1980, but I loved TV back then. I wish all those shows were on instead of the stuff on now actually.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:15 pm

Despite Automan's car, I have to go with Manimal. Manimal didn't have Desi Anrez Jr as a sidekick. And he could become animals!

Did anyone catch the episode of a very cheesy syndicated show called "Night Man" about a guy hit by lightning who fights crime and Simon MacCorkindale guest starred as Manimal? I watched that one episode just for Manimal.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:57 pm

I was too old for "Manimal," really. A cheesy "Tron" ripoff, on the other hand, made my day!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:08 am

DennisMM wrote:I was too old for "Manimal," really. A cheesy "Tron" ripoff, on the other hand, made my day!

I can see your point. A man turning into an animal is outlandish compared to a guy created in a computer used to fight crime in the big city.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:47 am

I really don't have much to add here, just want to fill up the entire list of recent hits.

Man, I'm a little bit younger than most of you, but I don't recall seeing these when they first aired. The THC has wiped out the memories of my first six years, so maybe that's the explanation.

Or the Mr. Show bit about the coming from different times. One year or two really makes a difference in our hyped up pop-culture landscape.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lyra belacqua on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:21 am

Automan?

Manimal?

I think you guys are just making shit up.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:29 am

What?! How dare you ask me to make such a choice! That would be like asking me to pick my favorite child. I suppose next you'll tell me that Street Hawk wasn't real. Fuck you, I'll get The Misfits of Science to beat you up.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:52 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I was too old for "Manimal," really. A cheesy "Tron" ripoff, on the other hand, made my day!

I can see your point. A man turning into an animal is outlandish compared to a guy created in a computer used to fight crime in the big city.

Yes, well, "Automan" had a sort of self-conscious cheese factor to it. It seemed as if everyone, especially Robert Lansing, knew this was shit but decided to have a bit of fun while they paid the bills. Lansing got to do the "McCloud!" bit every week.

"Manimal," on the other hand, was played very straight.

Neither could hold a candle to "Voyagers!".
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:19 am

They need to put The Master on DVD. That was one of my favorites.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:17 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:I really don't have much to add here, just want to fill up the entire list of recent hits.

Man, I'm a little bit younger than most of you, but I don't recall seeing these when they first aired. The THC has wiped out the memories of my first six years, so maybe that's the explanation.

Or the Mr. Show bit about the coming from different times. One year or two really makes a difference in our hyped up pop-culture landscape.

Yeah my and my friends used to call it the cut off year. Kids a year older than me totally remember George of the Jungle. I don't remember it from my childhood at all.

But I kind of have a fuckered perspective. My first 8 years were spent on an airforce base, which was like living in the 50s. Even the television we had wa from another era, it seemed. I mean, I remember being stoked every Sunday morning to get up and watch old Mighty Mouse cartoons, and of course David and Goliath (ARRRGHHH!). There was a movie theater on the base and every weekend they showed a different classic sci-fi/horror film. I saw EVERY Godzilla movie on the big screen through 1980. And the Curse of the Werewolf terrfied my little brain so much that I couldn't move my legs to leave the theater afterwards.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:02 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Crap, this made my head explode with nostalgia:

http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/primetime1.htm

I forgot "the bad news bears" was a show for a while.

and i voted manimal.

Manimal kicked ass. HE TURNED INTO ANIMALS.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:06 pm

I had forgotten about the Bad News Bears TV show completely. Along with House Calls and Best of the West.

I honestly couldn't keep looking at the list for too long because it unearthed TOO MANY memories. Like all at once. I felt like I was being mind melded or something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:12 pm

yeah, i know... Some stuff drew a blank, other stuff it was like a total brain flood, "Oh fuck... I REMEMBER that show!!!!"

It's funny looking at some of the stuff, because not only am i remembering the show, but when i see what it was up against, "Oh yeah, I remember having to choose between V and Dukes of Hazzard"...

Or fighting with a babysitter because she wanted to watch Love Boat and I wanted to watch Knight Rider.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:33 pm

I guess it would be especially disorienting for most of us, since TV was our parental surrogate, I would say.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:38 pm

yeah, my parents admit to putting my crib in front of the tv.

EDIT:

I just rememberd fighting with my uncle, because I wanted to watch Automan, and he wanted to watch some David Bowie thing.

Man, a lot of fights over the television.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:47 pm

I've seen your Uncle. He's like Puck with out the super powers. You should have just taken him out.

Automan was so ALF. Even as a kid I was apalled.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:00 pm

The only show that I thought was really overrated, and was popular with all my friends, was... 6 million dollar man. Hated it.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:05 pm

I remember going to school the day after Automan premiered and every kid at lunch was talking about it. "Oh man, that car was so cool!" I think a debate broke out over which was cooler, Knight Rider or Automan. I'm pretty sure Knight Rider won.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:08 pm

Bluebottle wrote:The only show that I thought was really overrated, and was popular with all my friends, was... 6 million dollar man. Hated it.

In Canada didn't they call it The 9.37 Million Dollar Man because of the exchange rate?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:22 pm

Bluebottle wrote:The only show that I thought was really overrated, and was popular with all my friends, was... 6 million dollar man. Hated it.

I have an undying love for all things Bionic, but I can see your point. I actually liked the Bionic Woman MORE than the Six Million Dollar man. But holy ceeerist, did I love those shows so much. It was so disheartening a few years ago when they announced the inevitable zany comedy version of the show to feature that idiot Jim Carrey. It seems now that the idea never had winds, thank god.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:37 pm

(Bionic noise)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

In Canada didn't they call it The 9.37 Million Dollar Man because of the exchange rate?

LOL.

It fluctuates, it's always impossible to keep track, so we just call the show, "The really expensive man who wears a red jumpsuit and is bionic."... Which is a rough translation back from 6 million dollar man in french.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:29 pm

I think Manimal wins hands down!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Automan on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 pm

I voted Automan.
Automan
GLIB

Return to Coaxial