Day Break - Day 3 or 4?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Day Break - Day 3 or 4?

Postby brainiac on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 am

ABC - TV
Wed., Nov. 15 @ 9/8c
2-hour premiere
"Pilot"/"What If They Run"
Detective Brett Hopper's life takes an unexplained detour when he's charged with killing a district attorney,
discovers his loved ones are in danger and that he's being framed -- and forced to relive the same day over and over
until he can right what went wrong.
Anyone gonna watch it? Taye Diggs looks good and the premise is interesting -- so maybe I'll drop in on a few episodes
and report back.

Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Serenity) has a recurring role so that would be a good reason to watch, too!
Last edited by brainiac on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Thin Man on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:41 am

Sounds like 'Groundhog Day' without the laughs. It also sounds like something else I've seen or read but quite can't remember what.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby buster00 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:09 am

The Thin Man wrote:Sounds like 'Groundhog Day' without the laughs. It also sounds like something else I've seen or read but quite can't remember what.

Yeah, I keep saying it looks like Jack Bauer is living Groundhog Day over and over until he gets it right. I might watch it just because "Lost" won't be on.

Black Bauer?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby brainiac on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Reminds me of the Denzel Washington movie about to be released -- "Deja Vu".
Denzel gets to re-live an explosive incident by hooking up with a secret time travel manipulation team.

Did I mention Adam Baldwin?
Here is ABC's ad page for the series:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/daybreak/index.html

NSFW warning:
The first act video starts up right away with sound.
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:12 pm

Remember when X-Files did their groundhog day episode with the bank robbery, and one woman could tell the day kept repeating, then she convinced Mulder and he could tell it was repeating. Yeah. That was a good episode.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby so sorry on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:17 pm

Have you ever been hit over the head with an insane advertising or marketing campaign that you end up refusing to buy/watch a product or show in protest?

yeah, this falls into that category with me.
I happen to be watching a lot of ABC shows recently, and i see a DayBreak commercial on average 42.3 times every half an hour. and let me tell you, seeing the same TV commercials about a guy seeing the same day over and over agian is excrutiating.

And I'm REALLY pissed at ABC for seeding LOST previews into the commercials for this show.

that's fucking sneaky and low!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:28 pm

so sorry wrote:And I'm REALLY pissed at ABC for seeding LOST previews into the commercials for this show.

that's fucking sneaky and low!

You know they'll end up youtube so... we wont have to watch the show to get the glimpses.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby buster00 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:06 pm

so sorry wrote:I happen to be watching a lot of ABC shows recently, and i see a DayBreak commercial on average 42.3 times every half an hour. and let me tell you, seeing the same TV commercials about a guy seeing the same day over and over agian is excrutiating.

Maybe they're getting us softened up on the idea of watching the poor schlemiel having to repeat the same day over and over. Y'know, getting us used to that particular day. :?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:49 pm

have you ever had the feeling that you've read this post before?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:50 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:50 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:56 pm

The Thin Man wrote:Sounds like 'Groundhog Day' without the laughs. It also sounds like something else I've seen or read but quite can't remember what.

STARGATE SG1!!!

SEASON 4!!!

EPISODE: WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY!!!

THE BEST SCIENCE FICTION EPISODE EVER WRITTEN!!!

<sigh>
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:23 pm

I laugh at you, sir.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Reminds me of Star Trek TNG episode: "Cause and Effect" - one of the best they ever did.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:33 pm

I read that a big difference between Daybreak and Groundhog's Day (other than the obvious) is that, in Daybreak, Mr. Diggs' injuries carry over into the next "day."

Looks like he can't die and then try again, unlike Mr. Murray.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:45 pm

I have a function to attend tonight, so I won't be around for the premiere, but I'll be Tivo'ing this just to see what's what. I love Groundhog Day (just bought it) and that X-Files episode where they replay that bank robbery over and over, so I feel this could be something up my alley... but I just feel it's not going to work. How the hell can the plot ever advance if he's always coming back to square one, always starting the day over? Sure, he can work out different elements to a mystery, but where do you go with Season Two? It just seems like too limited a concept to me to work as a series. But, then, the last time I thought that was with Prison Break, and I still enjoy that show.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:54 pm

buster00 wrote:

Yeah, I keep saying it looks like Jack Bauer is living Groundhog Day over and over until he gets it right. I might watch it just because "Lost" won't be on.

Black Bauer?

Jack Bauer meets Groundhog Day?
( nice analogy, Buster :) )
That was probably the line used to get this puppy off the ground.

I knew Jack Bauer.
Jack Bauer was a friend of mine.
Brett Hopper, you're no Jack Bauer.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:03 pm

Groundhog Day + Run Lola Run.

I like Taye Diggs and Adam Baldwin and I think the showrunners can do a lot of interesting things with this premise, but I'm not sure I'm curious enough to watch. The lamentable thing about the state of network television (and I guess scripted television) is that this would probably work better as a miniseries instead of as an ongoing serial, but anytime a show has a chance at being even marginally successful, it's got to have multiple seasons.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DanielSan on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Just how the titles of each episode of Friends begins with the words, "The One Where...", it looks like the titles of each episode of Daybreak begins with "What if..."

Looking at TVGuide online, episode names include:

What If They Run
What If He Lets Her Go
What If He Can Change The Day

Any suggestions for future titles? How about...

What If He Eats a Balogna Sandwich
What If He Masturbates When He Wakes Up
What If He Skips To My Lou
What If He Learns to Sculpt Ice, Performs the Heimlich Manuver, Plays Jazz Piano, and Saves a Boy Falling Out of A Tree
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:54 pm

What if they get cancelled?
The Vicar

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:54 pm

What If He's Denzel Washington

i'll give the show a chance. 2 hours worth should be enough to decide if it's worth continuing.

besides, it's also got mitch pileggi. he was awesome in the x-files. i still wish they would've done a 'skinner' spin-off show.

also, there's some hot asian chick in it named Moon Bloodgood. how can you go wrong with a chick named Moon Bloodgood? sounds like someone's character name out of Vampire: The Masquerade
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:57 pm

Moon Bloodgood?

Like her parents decided that Bloodgood wasn't enough of a name, they had to tack something special on the front?

Better than Moon Unit Zappa, but not by much.

I'll give this a look for Mitch's sake ( I too would have liked a Skinner spinoff ) and to see what Jayne's up to.

But they're going to need some very inventive writers to keep this from feeling repetative ( in more ways than one ) and fresh.
The Vicar

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 pm

maybe she's got a brother named Dweezil Bloodgood
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DanielSan on Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 pm

The Vicar wrote:What if they get cancelled?

BWWAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby brainiac on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:30 pm

Spoilers!!!! If you want to watch the show before you read this,
Go to ABC http://abc.go.com/primetime/daybreak/index.html
OK, I watched and enjoyed. Action, suspense, mystery, blood, cops, shootouts...and strange men in black coats....

The show started out smooth and looked like a straight forward cop who gets framed premise. But with enough side plots thrown in to make it intresting:

- the hero (Hopper) is sleeping with his ex-partner's ex-wife
- Hopper's framed for a murder with planted evidence
- Hopper's current partner is up in front of IA and she thinks Hopper ratted her out
- Hopper's ex-partner is the IA officer in charge of the case and isn't too happy with Hopper sleeping with his ex-wife
- Hopper's sister is being physically abused by her husband
- Hopper has the chance to save a woman from a bus accident and has to decide who is more important -- girlfriend or stranger
-Hopper's informant in a safe house has been compromised and is back on the street
- A mysterious package has been mailed to Hopper and has gone missing
- Hopper must save himself and those he loves all the while being beaten, shot and drugged by mysterious men who want information

Oh, yeah..there is a lot going on and a lot of it is done fast with overheard conversations, missed messages, notes hastily scribbled, faces glimpsed while on the run.

So did I like it? Yes.
Will I keep watching? Yes.

What did you think?

Am I the only one kicking myself because I didn't watch HEROS from the beginning?
Last edited by brainiac on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:55 pm

DanielSan wrote:Any suggestions for future titles?

What if he has a wet dream in the morning?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:55 pm

DennisMM wrote:I laugh at you, sir.

Die.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DanielSan on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:48 am

Well, I liked it. It didn't blow me away, but I did like it enough to be sure to tune in next Wednesday.

The previews looked interesting. And I really hope that this show sticks around. I'm a huge Adam Baldwin fan - he deserves a series to last.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Starks on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 pm

Very good first 2 episodes IMO, they setup the series well and if it can maintain this level I'll be watching all 13 episodes. I thought it was well acted all round, but this show will live or die by the quality of its writing. I'm optimistic as the writers knew from the outset that they have 13 episodes to tell this story.

Recommended viewing for fans of 24. Taye Diggs is basically a time traveling Jack Bauer - intelligent, a good shot (while driving!) and able to pull off stunts like jumping on top of moving trains and diving out of open windows

RANDOM MUSINGS/SPOILERS FOR EP 1 & 2 FOLLOW:

- Brett Hopper's progression through the first 4 attempts of the day were spot on. First Day take it in all in bewildered. Attempt 2: Upon realizing he was having a serious case of Deja-Vu he attempts to fix the situation as quickly and easily as possible - ditch the murder weapon and get his loved ones to safety. The Coffee Shop woman makes him realise that small details can have larger ramifications. Attempt 3: Runaway from all the bizarre shit that has happened. Interesting to see that he is still proactive by contacting his partner before the Homicide Detectives can flip her. Jack Bauer would have been proud of Hopper's shooting while driving skills. Attempt 4: Deal with the situation he was thrust into. Good to see that he is getting smarter each day, this time ditching the mobile phone. The big question now is what other methods do they use to pin Garza's murder on Hopper if as Detective Choi says "Who said anything about a gun in your closet?"

- The more attempts Hopper has at the day the further he should be able to get ahead of his adversaries.

- The group setting Hopper up is obviously well connected. They have Hopper under surveillance, are heavily armed and mobilized, able to snatch someone from the police lockup and pass through police barricades. If they can't get Hooper to take the fall they are insistent on killing him.

- What does Internal Affairs Officer Chad Shelten have to do with the "Quarry Group"? What has he got on Hoppers partner?

- Hopper needs to be careful about how much knowledge he divulges to others. The leader of the "Quarry Group" seemed quite taken back when Brett Hopper was able to articulate their demands the second time round. If they think he knows to much they may try to take him out.

- What's the disheveled looking man in the police stations caper? Both times Hopper has been in the station he is staring at him intently.

- I wonder how long the injuries will take to heal, if Hopper is not careful they could start adding up and become a big issue.

- He needs an easy way to prove to people that he has lived this day before. He could use the results of the Dodgers game but something even more impossible to predict could be useful, eg. Lotto Numbers.

- If Hopper ever needs a large sum of money he can simply bet on the Dodgers game.

- Does Damien going into witness protection to testify have anything to do with the attempt at framing Hopper? Who is it that attacks the safe house? The "Quarry Group" didn't seem to care that they killed Damien on attempt no. 2, if they even knew who he was in the first place.

- I thought it was interesting that Hopper assumed it was the sedative he was given in the quarry that was making the day repeat.

- Will Hopper make time at the beginning of each day and attempt to save the woman at the coffee shop? I could see him going either way over time: becoming more and more determined to save everyone as he finds a solution, or less and less concerned for others welfare as he becomes convinced everything will just reboot the following day.

- It was cool to see Hopper try to stay awake past 6:17am.

- How long before someone makes reference to "Groundhog Day"?

- What is in the package that the mystery woman sent Hopper?

- Next weeks episode is entitled "What If He Lets Her Go?"
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby brainiac on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:34 am

Excellent recap, Starks!

Hopper is getting deeper and deeper into the mystery -- confronting the woman who sent him the package only to see her get shot. Then returning the next day and warning her away from danger.

Helping his partner resolve her drug addict boyfriend problems by getting him into rehab only to have the bf inadvertently give Hopper a clue to the "missing file" murder that Hopper's Dad was involved in.

Keeping his own girlfriend alive for the whole day.

Blowing away bad guys before they can blow him away.

Getting and keeping the mysterious package contents.

Everyday he gets a bit more information and inches closer to discovering the truth about the mayhem around him.

Baldwin, Moonglow (whatever), Diggs, and the rest are easy to watch and the mystery is intriguing.
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby brainiac on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:48 am

Good Adam Baldwin episode! Two things that especially stand out - the discussion on "time" and how the day could be repeating cuz of the various time warp (first you jump to the left....) scenarios and for the honeymoon/dog in the road story from his POV. Nice touches.

Hopper inches closer and more people start to believe him...or do they?

And who is the mole in the police force?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby brainiac on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:31 am

Sadly, I may be the only one who still cares about this show. But, just in case there are a few other misguided souls out there like me,
ABC is releasing the last few episodes (including the wrapup episode, I hope) on their web site - ABC.com.

Now, if they would just show the unaired episodes of The Nine, I would be happy.
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:43 am

The Thin Man wrote: It also sounds like something else I've seen or read but quite can't remember what.

12:01...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:46 am

I'll be happy if I become as familiar with the surroundings and people as I did in Groundhog day.

I want to know where the people are every minute of the day by the end fo the second series.

At least then, I can comitt the perfect robbery.

:lol:

Could be interesting but with "prisonBREAK", who needs another show with a similar title.

Apparently the Russion sequel to Nightwatch got cancelled because it was called Daywatch :wink:

...watching that later.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 am

bump.

I believe mr. hacker had a question.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:37 am

he did, and here it was:

mrhacker wrote::?: Does anyone know why ABC is not airing the final episode of this show. They have been putting it off for the past 2 weeks. It was supposed to air tonight on their web page, but they delayed it again, and have not set a new time. If anyone has any information on this please share.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 am

that's such a good question, it deserves its own thread.

splitting.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:39 am

can i go ahead and lock this thread then?
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 am

IT'S TOO LATE!

YOU ALREADY DELETED THE OTHER THREAD!!

NO POINT NOW!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:43 am

Adam Balm wrote:IT'S TOO LATE!

YOU ALREADY DELETED THE OTHER THREAD!!

NO POINT NOW!

but...but I never....

BALMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Lord Voldemoo

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:43 am

You guys could just repost it here...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:44 am

good call Havoc! bump.

edit...hey, waitaminute...

HHHAAAAAAVVVVVOCCCCCCC!!!!!!

ok, i'm done now. my stomach hurts.
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:45 am

oooh, that felt good. bump me again!
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:46 am

Come again...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:48 am

havocSchultz wrote:Come again...?

yeah...i think he [MOD EDIT- that kind of talk is inappropriate]

-Voldemoo
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:50 am

That'll teach you to piss off the mods, Voldey.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 am

Adam Balm wrote:That'll teach you to piss off the mods, Voldey.

fucking fascists.

-brief aside: I've been kinda feeling bad about this enormous thread jack and my meaningless posts, but then I read the first 12 TB posts for this and felt a little better.

Ok, back on topic, how 'bout that jailbreak, huh? The kids love it.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby mrhacker on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:54 am

Is it that hard to get a simple answer, you either know or you don't.
mrhacker
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 am

mrhacker wrote:Is it that hard to get a simple answer, you either know or you don't.

I think it's quite evident that I don't know. Balm knows, but he plays his cards close to the vest.

Actually, hacker, I don't think anyone in the Zone right now has any idea about this, but check back in a bit and you may get a response.

I'll even repost the question for ya:

mrhacker wrote::?: Does anyone know why ABC is not airing the final episode of this show. They have been putting it off for the past 2 weeks. It was supposed to air tonight on their web page, but they delayed it again, and have not set a new time. If anyone has any information on this please share.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:57 am

It came to me in a dream, and I forgot it in another dream...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial