R.I.P Ed Bradley

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

R.I.P Ed Bradley

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:47 pm

NEW YORK - CBS News reports that newsman Ed Bradley has died. Bradley spent 26 seasons on the newsmagazine "60 Minutes."

In an on-air announcement, anchorwoman Katie Couric said Bradley died from complications of leukemia.

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby brainiac on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:49 pm

His dignity and style will be missed.

My condolances to his family and friends.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

R.I.P Ed Bradley

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 pm

heres the full Obit:

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer
16 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Ed Bradley, the award-winning "60 Minutes" correspondent who grew up in the tough streets of Philadelphia, was wounded while covering the Vietnam War and later became CBS's first black White House correspondent, died Thursday. He was 65.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bradley died of leukemia at Mount Sinai, CBS News announced.

Bradley joined "60 Minutes" in 1981, 10 years after he started with the network as a stringer in Paris.

Producer Don Hewitt, in his book "Minute by Minute," was quick to appreciate Bradley's work once he joined the "60 Minutes" crew.

"He's so good and so savvy and so lights up the tube every time he's on it that I wonder what took us so long," Hewitt wrote.

Bradley's consummate skills as a broadcast journalist and his distinctive body of work were recognized with numerous awards, including 19 Emmys, the latest for a segment that reported the reopening of the 50-year-old racial murder case of Emmett Till.

He was honored with the Lifetime Achievement award from the National Association of Black Journalists. Three of his Emmys came at the 2003 awards: a lifetime achievement Emmy; one for a 2002 "60 Minutes" report on brain cancer patients and for a "60 Minutes II" report about sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic Church.

Bradley grew up in a tough section of Philadelphia, where he once recalled that his parents worked 20-hour days at two jobs apiece. "I was told, `You can be anything you want, kid,'" he once told an interviewer. "When you hear that often enough, you believe it."

After graduating from Cheney State College, he launched his career as a DJ and news reporter for a Philadelphia radio station in 1963, moving to New York's WCBS radio four years later.

He joined CBS News as a stringer in the Paris bureau in 1971, transferring a year later to the Saigon bureau during the Vietnam War; he was wounded while on assignment in Cambodia. Bradley moved to the Washington bureau in June 1974, 14 months after he was named a CBS News correspondent.

He later returned to Vietnam, covering the fall of that country and Cambodia.

After Southeast Asia, Bradley returned to the United States and covered Jimmy Carter's successful campaign for the White House. He followed Carter to Washington, becoming CBS' first black White House correspondent — a prestigious position that Bradley didn't enjoy.

He jumped from Washington to doing pieces for "CBS Reports," traveling to Cambodia, China, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia. It was his Emmy-winning 1979 work on a story about Vietnamese boat people, refugees from the war-torn nation, that eventually landed his work on "60 Minutes
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:30 pm

This is terrible news.
Had a lot of respect for Ed, and I can't say that very often any more about the clowns now pissing in his pool, so to speak.
Sincere condolences to his family & colleagues.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:15 pm

After 60 Minutes became a farce rather than an investigative news show I still respected Bradley. Wallace and Safer turned into clowns, but Bradley retained his dignity most of the time. We need more Ed Bradleys.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:39 pm

He was good at what he did. Very good.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:19 pm

Sad news. He really was one of the good ones.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:30 pm

The lack of props for Mr. Bradley is somewhat disheartening.
And so it goes....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 pm

We've lost all our best tv journalists in the last year or two. Very sad. He will be missed.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Return to Coaxial