Terry Pratchett - HOGFATHER MOVIE!!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Terry Pratchett - HOGFATHER MOVIE!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:42 am

How exciting, I hope that this is good because it sounds mighty!! Shame that it's a TV movie though. A real movie would be the way to go for me!

Sky One and RHI Entertainment to bring Terry Pratchett’s HOGFATHER to the screen

[tx: Sky One, Christmas 2006.]

Terry Pratchett’s best-seller to be a 2 x 120” film · David Jason to play role of Albert · World’s first live-action / CGI Discworld film · Production company the Mob Film Company commence filming in Romania

Sky One and RHI Entertainment are today delighted to announce the commission of Terry Pratchett’s worldwide best-selling fantasy fiction, HOGFATHER. The project marks the first ever live action / CGI film of Discworld and its characters, and the 2 x 120” HD film airs on Sky One in Christmas 2006. RHI Entertainment have secured the international distribution rights.

Terry Pratchett has sold over 41m books worldwide and is the UK’s second most popular contemporary author based on book sales, selling 2.5m a year (3% of the total book trade). The British author’s Discworld books are translated into 35 languages and he has won numerous prestigious literary awards, was named an Officer of the British Empire for services to literature and commands a huge fan base across the globe.

Terry Pratchett said: “All of my Christmases have come at once.”

David Jason (Only Fools and Horses, A Touch of Frost) has been confirmed for the key role of Albert in the film and further high quality casting will be announced over the next few months.

David Jason said: “I am thrilled to be taking part in HOGFATHER – I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett’s books and to play the part of Albert is going to be great fun.”

Elaine Pyke, Sky One’s Drama Commissioner said: “Having been in development for nearly a year, I am thrilled to announce this two part commission with RHI Entertainment for the first live-action adaptation of a Discworld book. Terry Pratchett is one of the most successful authors or our time and his fantasy fiction will strike a chord with Sky One viewers. With the award-winning Mob Film Company producing the series and The Moving Picture Company producing the computer generated effects, HOGFATHER is sure to serve up a visual feast this Christmas.”

Robert Halmi Junior, President RHI Entertainment, said "We are delighted to be entering into this deal with Sky and Mob to bring this fantastic Terry Pratchett novel to a global television audience. We hope to continue to build our presence in the UK by producing more large event mini-series that utilises UK talent and acclaimed authors.”

HOGFATHER is set on the semi-medieval but strangely familiar Discworld. And the Hogfather (you know, the jolly studly man) who delivers presents to the kiddies at Christmas at the midwinter festival of Hogswatch has gone missing. But it’s vital that all the presents are delivered, otherwise the sun won’t rise tomorrow. However, there is another supernatural entity who can be everywhere at once and, most importantly, knows where everybody lives. He is Death, but with a false beard and a few cushions that he reckons might just work.

And while he is engaged in the mysteries of climbing down chimneys and drinking sherry, it’s up to his granddaughter, Susan to find out what has happened to the real Hogfather. It’s the dark time of the year. There are monsters afoot. And some of them look just like us. HO HO HO. You’d better watch out…

HOGFATHER is adapted for the screen and directed by Vadim Jean (Leon the Pig Farmer) and produced by Rod Brown (Dream Team, Goal) and Ian Sharples (The Virgin of Liverpool} for the Mob Film Company. Elaine Pyke (Dream Team, Hex) executive produces for Sky One and Robert Halmi Sr (Dinotopia) is the executive producer for RHI Entertainment.

HOGFATHER is set to transmit on Sky One at Christmas 2006.

Is anyone else excited???
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:50 am

I am excited.
But shouldn't they do Soul Music first? I know it's available as a really great animation piece but I think we need to know how Susan came to understand that she was Death's granddaughter. It would be weird just having her appear as the granddaughter without any explanation of how she came to know that and how she learned to accept her fate. Or are they perhaps putting that part of Soul Music into the movie version of Hogfather?
Hope so.
This needs to be done flawless.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:01 am

Yeah, it's an odd film to kick off with. There's a lot of History behind the Hogfather book, like the Susan thing, or how the 'deities' of discworld exist because of belief.

I can just see them being very clumsy about the whole thing.

What book would you adapt Logan?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Logan5 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:09 am

I haven't read that many, just Soul Music, Weird Systers and one or two others. That was like 7 or 8 years ago so my memory isn't all that great. Sorry.
So, I don't know which book I myself would adopt. But I love the character of Death and they should try and get Christopher Lee to do the voice for him yet again.
Logan5
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:55 pm

ahhh.... I beleive that all of those are now available in play form. If you get bored one-day have a gander of Thief of Time. That's a gooden....
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:58 am

When is due for transmission because it seems to indicate Christmas 06? Unless the article is quite old then they are cutting it really fine. Anyway, I'm a massive fan of the books. The only down side is that an awful lot of the humour is within the narration rather than what the characters do or say. Getting this across without some sort of clumsy voice-over could be difficult. Also, hopefully they will treat these as the adult books they are and not try and water them down as Kid's TV. I my opinion, the animated shows failed because they didn't get the humour across.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:16 am

I agree completely. I really didn't like the cartoon when I saw it, I was in my early teens, had never read the books and wondered what the hell was going on. I did love Death though.

Personally I think that the Pretchett novels (well, some of them) would make fantastic one off movies, as long as the director puts the effort in and actually reads a whole heap of them and understands the vibe of the discworld. It's a parody, but it's not just that. It's social commentary as well with out being preachy. The characters are easy to get to know, but deep enough to hold up under a few plots worth of trials.

I've got some fantastic ideas for Thief of time, and it could look amazing. I also think that the Thursday Next Series (Jasper Fford) could be fantastic if done with the right mindset.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:27 am

I just found this on The Mob's (the production company) website.

Currently In Post-Production
International Theatrical Release 2007

Director - vadim jean

Jiminy Glick in Lalawood (2004)
"Working the Thames" (2004) TV Series
One More Kiss (1999)
Just Desserts (1999) (TV)
The Real Howard Spitz (1998)
... aka Samantha et Monsieur Spitz (Canada: French title)
Clockwork Mice (1995)
Leon the Pig Farmer (1993)
Beyond Bedlam (1993)
... aka Nightscare

Hummmmm..... not a great choice of director by what I can see here. I have a bad feeling about this. The production company is focused on commercials.... hummmmmm, I wonder if Mr. Pratchett himself knows what's being done to his work?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:46 am

I seem to be the only one excited about this but stuff it... I'm gonna post it anyway.

Finally Sky One have revealed that they're playing the film December 17th & 18th, mini series style. Very Exciting. See some pics below, It looks better then I was thinking, and quite a good choice for Susan (MICHELLE DOCKERY) I would have preferred someone with not so soft features. She's a stage bunny, so I hope she'll pull of film ok.

Ian Richardson is the voice of death, which should be good.

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:53 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:I seem to be the only one excited about this but stuff it... I'm gonna post stuff anyway.

Nah man, its good to see. That woman looks like Cruella Deville and apart from those kids who make me want to puke, but perhaps thats the point, it looks alright.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:57 am

Yeah, Looking at other pics, the shots look very US 'Mini series' Bright colours, not very moody lighting, basic shots.. .I have always imagined a more Prisoner of Azkaban, grimy look and feel to the disc world.

Bugger it, I'm still going to find a Sky box somewhere and watch it.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:19 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:I seem to be the only one excited about this but stuff it... I'm gonna post it anyway.

I'm very exicited about this myself (and at my age I should know better). I just pray they do the book justice. As I have already posted, the humour is often in the narrative so I hope they can somehow manage to bring this off. As for the whole Susan backstory - Pratchett wasn't always consistant himself anyway. If I remember right (and a lot of alchohol has done a lot of damage to my brain over the years) she first appears in 'The Light Fantastic' but with a different name and she is described as being slightly (or very) mad. I will be posting first thing Monday with my views on the first episode, you can be sure about that! I really hope it is succesful because I would love someone to make a film about my favourite Discworld strand - The Watch.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 am

Like a bit of Vimes do you Thin Man. He is a great character, from drunk in a dead end job to Lord and incharge of the Watch and all's it's new arms...

The more I look into it, the worse my feelings get about it. I just have no faith in the Director, hell he make Jiminy Glick, and I switched that off when I was on a long flight it was so bad.

I look forward to your comments Tman...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:27 am

The more I see about this the more I come to dread it. My wife has read some of the discworld books and is looking forward to it. I have read all of them multiple times and just fear it will not match my inner vision of the discworld.

Terry Pratchett has been involved so at least it should be as close as you will get to author approved.

One thing though, why does Albert seem to have giant spock ears in some of the pictures? I could have sworn he was a human?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:34 am

Yeah, I think that Albert is a mix up waiting to happen. He's actually an extremely power wizard who bargained with Death to live for longer as his servant and to provide some company. I think he has something like a day worth of sand left in his timer so he only leaves deaths house for a good reason.

yes... well now that I've shown that I'm far to obsessed with these books I'll leave now before a flood of abuse from Kirk comes down on me.

oh crap....

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:18 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:Like a bit of Vimes do you Thin Man. He is a great character, from drunk in a dead end job to Lord and incharge of the Watch and all's it's new arms...

The more I look into it, the worse my feelings get about it. I just have no faith in the Director, hell he make Jiminy Glick, and I switched that off when I was on a long flight it was so bad.

I look forward to your comments Tman...

Thanks. It's the Vimes/Watch books I look forward to now. I think Pratchett must like them because they seem to be what he rights about most. Hmmm.. a drunk in a dead end job who becomes a Lord. Perhaps this is why I like him so much - it gives me hope. :wink:
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby sleepflower on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:34 am

I never read any pratchett, seemed like too much of a whole different world to take in. Maybe this will be my IN point.

The shots and trailers I have seen so far look amazing. Good cast too so expect great things.

Surely it is better to be a TV movie, the length you can get away with is much better.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:46 am

That's true. The story is pretty expansive, and they'll have to spell some stuff out to the newbies, so I'm crossing my fingers that the extra time is well used.

The one shot I really want to see will be a CG Discworld traveling through space on the backs of four elephants that stand on the back of a giant turtle, the Great A'Tuin.

MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:yes... well now that I've shown that I'm far to obsessed with these books I'll leave now before a flood of abuse from Kirk comes down on me.
I didn't go that far in my post for exactly those two reasons! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:45 pm

Hmm, not too far from the source so far... but the Auditors never sounded whiny in my head! :shock: :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:00 pm

I'm hoping they do something decent with Good Omens. That would be funny.

I am very much looking forward to Hogfather. It should be excellent. Its nice to see Pratchett on TV finally.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:03 pm

MonkeyM666 wrote:That's true. The story is pretty expansive, and they'll have to spell some stuff out to the welcome member of the Zone, so I'm crossing my fingers that the extra time is well used.

The one shot I really want to see will be a CG Discworld traveling through space on the backs of four elephants that stand on the back of a giant turtle, the Great A'Tuin.

What did you think of the opening shot then?

Overall not too bad, I must admit (apart from the Nobby Nobbs interpretation) it wasn't too bad. And really how are you going to find an actor that short and ugly?! LOL
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby sleepflower on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:46 pm

I really enjoyed the first part. I didn't feel at all that I needed back knowledge from the books, which for me, is a huge plus.

The mood was great. Some of the shots and set ups could have been a little better, but then it did have the time restraints of a tv movie budget.

The only part that I thought was not amazing was near the end at the lair. Just thought the immediacy of action scenes was missing, one thing I thought lord of the rings excelled at. That moment, that instant realisation that danger was about to hit.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:41 pm

I didn't see the need for the 6 minute, next time on... section.

Knowing the story, an awful lot of the next two hours was included and it is only a days wait. If it was a week I could see it as a good tease but 24 hours... it just seemed excessive.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby sleepflower on Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:55 pm

I actually turned over cos I thought they were showing too much of the next episode. I turned back 3 minutes later and it was still on! Also from what I saw it was in chronological order telling the story, rather than any kind of teaser trailer. Agreed it was pointless.
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:15 am

I haven't seen it as yet, I beleive that kind Mr. Tape and Mr. Sleep have recorded it on their SKy box and will be removing, packing and sending it my way as soon as it's all done and dusted. That's right isn't it Sleep?

So to answer your question CB, I am yet to see it.

It doesn't suprise me that they had a long teaser for the second half. They've thrown a lot of cash at this, and the advertising seems huge, so that want to make sure people watch. Silly TV Execs, not understanding that if people tuned in for the first half, they shoiuld pick up more viewers from word of mouth, not loose them.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:50 am

I didn't get to watch it as we were doing a double-dvd epic of Scrooged and Elf, but I did manage to see the opening shot. Yeah, the effects were a bit shoddy on the transitions, but it was brill seeing the Great A'Tuin having so much attention paid to it down to the liver spots on the ancient elephants!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:00 am

That sounds cool, I can't find any screen grabs anywhere online so I guess that I'll have to wait for Sleep and tape.... :(

I'm getting reports that it really should have been a movie, not a mini series... bloody Sky One, toying with the future of all Pratchett Novels => Movies. What was Death's voice like? And the Auditors? (so many questions... so little post space)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:03 am

I actually really enjoyed this. It stayed true to the source - sometimes the script seemed to be lifted verbatum from the book. Not a bad thing. Having a Death that didn't move it's mouth seemed a little odd to me for a bit but I got used to it. Ian Richardson did a good job with the voice. I agree that the Nobby Nobbs character was way off. In the books he is a disgusting, barely human character and this didn't come off. I also agree that I didn't imagine the Auditors as being whiney. I also did worry whether people who hadn't read the books would follow it but I'll leave that for others who haven't read the books to judge. If it was a little rough around the special effects then you have to remember that even Sky sometimes only measures it audiences in the hundreds of thousands so this was a big gamble for them. I hope this is sucessful so we get lots more of them.
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 am

I'm surprised that the CG was a bit crappy. Isn't Sky One and Sci-Fi in cahoots with BSG? That's a TV show with a, presumably, smaller budget and that looks amazing. Why couldn't that just have a chat to some people and get the BSG team on it.

Well, I shouldn't judge yet...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:48 am

I suspect BSG has a bigger budget for FXs. Sky only co-produced BSG, which probably meant they promised to take the show even if ratings were poor in America. This helped spread the risk and guarenteed a larger budget. I think Hogfarther was more of a gamble since they don't know how well it will go down internationally, especially in the big US market. I didn't see any co-production credits which means that if it flops or the American buyers don't like it, Sky will be left to try and recoop costs from domestic DVD sales.
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:06 am

Ahhh... well that does make sense. Pratchett isn't that big in the US (I don't think) and I would be surprised if anyone other than true fans see it over there. Christmas movies are a tough choice at the best of times, let alone with a strange fantasy writer from the UK making it all up.

Does anyone know if it's actually playing over there this year or not?

Good on Sky for having a crack at it, I doubt that it was classed as very risky. Pratchett is huge over here and you would imagine that getting costs back would be an easy task. It's the profits that would be hard to obtain. The Pratchett lovers that I know out there will give the man the money with DVD sales just out of shear respect.... or so I hope.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:49 pm

Damn, I was hoping the early reports were wrong, but, according to this David Jason is to play Rincewind in The Colour of Magic. The follow up TV movie. :x :evil: :cry:

How on earth is he right for this role?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Damn, I was hoping the early reports were wrong, but, according to this David Jason is to play Rincewind in The Colour of Magic. The follow up TV movie. :x :evil: :cry:

How on earth is he right for this role?

Dammit, David Jason as Rincewind confirmed, shark well and truly jumped.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Re: Terry Pratchett - HOGFATHER MOVIE!!

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm

As someone who's never read anything by Terry Pratchett I can say that this show (The Hogfather) was bizarre and baffling... but also kind of entertaining. I can understand fans wanting to see a proper movie, but they probably made the right choice with the TV special. Although the budget probably would have freed them up to do a lot more things, they needed every minute of the (3 1/2 hours or so) runtime to tell the story. That, plus the idea of a bunch of families gathered 'round the TV set at Christmas to watch this cracked fairy tale just warms the cockles of my heart. But yeah, by the end the only thing that I think I was still confused about were the Auditors (seriously, no idea what their deal is). Also, the director did a really good job. Some of the sets and costumes were a little on the cheesy side, but he staged everything in a way that looked cinematic. There were a lot of satirical and wry observations in the show, which helped ground the characters amidst all the craziness, which I assume is part of the author's charm as well, so it was nice to see that it didn't lose its identity amidst all the whiz-bang. Overall it seemed like they did a pretty impressive job of taking what seems like a sprawling, complicated universe and telling a single story from it without turning it into a confusing mess. I can't say if it'll please diehard fans, but I thought it was cool.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial