PREACHER (TV show)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Garth Ennis' Preacher to be HBO TV Series!!!!! :-)

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:47 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:How the f* can HBO find anything to dark, to controversial and to violent?? I thought that was what they like to release, tv that can't be shown anywhere else...

Yeah, I thought that's what they're essentially known for. Wasn't the "TV-MA" rating made because of HBO and Showtime?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Garth Ennis' Preacher to be HBO TV Series!!!!! :-)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Evil Hobbit wrote:How the f* can HBO find anything to dark, to controversial and to violent?? I thought that was what they like to release, tv that can't be shown anywhere else...

Yeah, I thought that's what they're essentially known for. Wasn't the "TV-MA" rating made because of HBO and Showtime?

Showtime was a bandwagoner. ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Preacher To Be HBO Series! :-) : Now w/ 100% Less Series :-(

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:37 pm

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: Preacher To Be HBO Series? Nope. Movie? Mayhaps

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 am

This couldn't have come with better timing, since I've just finished reading the series...

I'm psyched. I'm not sure how they'll get away with Allfather and the ALF offspring of Jesus, though.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 am

Lady Sheridan wrote:This couldn't have come with better timing, since I've just finished reading the series...

I'm psyched. I'm not sure how they'll get away with Allfather and the ALF offspring of Jesus, though.

They mentioned that Palin will be looking to build up her celebrity to keep her in the spotlight these coming years....

Zac Effron for arseface (Ewen bremner is too old, and scottish)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 am

Hermanator X wrote:Zac Effron for arseface (Ewen bremner is too old, and scottish)

Wow, if he'd allow himself to get shot in the face for this movie, he'd almost redeem himself for those virus-like HSM shitfests ruining our nation's youth!

Isn't Haley Joel-Osment about the right age for Arseface? And casting him would save money on makeup too.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby instant_karma on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 am

Can't say I'm too psyched about this news. For one thing, 1 movie, even a long one, just isn't going to cut it. My other problem is that I just cannot imagine Mendes adapting the material without smoothing out some of the rough edges that make it so much fun.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby John-Locke on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Empireonline wrote:Sam Mendes Talks Preacher
Empire recently sat down with Sam Mendes for a nice chat, during which we asked the Brit director about the state of play on Mendes’ next movie, a just-announced adaptation of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s controversial but brilliant comic book, Preacher.

So, Sam, what’s the skinny?

“I’d love to make Preacher,” he smiles. “But there’s no script.”

But… but… the Internet told us that…

“This is a typical Variety announcement,” Mendes added. “‘Mendes to direct Preacher’ – I wish! Basically they should have written, ‘Mendes in development with Preacher’. What I’m doing is, I’ve gotta find a script. I’ve just got to get it written.”

Nevertheless, Mendes did go into some detail about his attraction to the project, which in pure thumbnail terms, is about a rebellious preacher called Jesse Custer and his quest to find God and make him accountable for crimes against humanity.

“It's brilliant, it's an incredible twisted vision,” he said of the 66-issue story. “There's so much of it you couldn't possibly fit it all into one movie. It's just about what you keep and what you leave out, and how you structure the story. But just to have that toy set again, being able to paint on a big canvas and to say ‘I am gonna do crazy crane shots and massive action sequences again because I want to,’ it's exciting..”

Understandably, given the fledgling status of the project, Mendes isn’t too keen to talk about specifics, but we did ask him about one casting issue – namely, the frequent appearances of John Wayne, whose ghost acts as a counsel to Jesse throughout.

“That's an interesting one, I wonder what the John Wayne estate's gonna say about that,” teased Mendes. “We'll see, we’ll have to get them on side…”
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Chilli on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:09 pm

I'd recommend they go the True Romance way and never show John Wayne - just have a decent actor do the voice from off-screen like Kilmer did.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:30 pm

PREACHER is my all time favorite property, but to this news, I give a hearty fucking BOOOOOO! And I like Mendes.

How can you expect to fit 66 issues in one film!?!?!?

Fucking ridiculous. I'd rather not see a film at all than have them butcher it and ruin the chances of ever seeing a proper series, which is the only way this would work.

Also, looking about early in this thread, it's sad to see all my casting suggestion (Ledger).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

John August

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:30 am

From THR.com:
Borys Kit wrote:John August, who just two weeks ago lamented on his screenwriting blog that his long-gestating "Shazam!" project at Warners hit a roadblock, suddenly has plenty of irons in the fire.

August has booked a pair of gigs that will see him working with top-flight directors: He's set to write "Frankenweenie" for Tim Burton and Disney after first tackling the comic book adaptation "Preacher" for Sam Mendes and Columbia.

"Frankenweenie" is based on a comedic horror short that Burton made in 1984 while a film school student. The story tells of a man who brings his dog back to life after it is killed by a car.

While the original "Frankenweenie" was a live-action project, the new one will be made using stop-motion animation and be in 3-D. Like the original, the feature version is to be shot in black & white. Burton is producing, and many of the animation artists and crew from the director's "Corpse Bride" will be involved, with the studio aiming for a 2011 release.

Allison Abbate will produce with Burton as she did on "Corpse Bride." Don Hahn will exec produce.

"Preacher" is based on the popular 1990s DC/Vertigo series created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. It tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher, given immense powers, who teams up with a former girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and sets out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Neal Moritz is producing through his Original Films banner along with Kickstart Prods.' Jason Netter.

"Frankenweenie" will mark UTA-repped August's fifth collaboration with Burton. The two worked on "Big Fish," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Corpse Bride" and have "Dark Shadows," set up at Warners with Johnny Depp attached to star, in the wings.

"Shazam," meanwhile, remains in development at Warners and is looking for writers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 pm

UPDATE:

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=26470

Still say the single film is a bad idea. Mendes, do it as an HBO series, please!!!!

Oh, and I think Elizabeth Banks would make a kickass Tulip.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:47 am

If they actually are trying to condense 66 issues into one film, that seems kinda silly.

Back when it was being produced by View Askew, Ennis wrote a script based on the "Gone to Texas". Then when the HBO thing was around, Mark Steven Johnson was going to base each one-hour episode on one issue.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:32 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:17 pm

The good news there is that it seems they have moved away from cramming all 66 issues into one film. Sounds like they're breaking it into thirds, or so. Script has to be right, first of all. Then the casting. I'm still hoping for something good here.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 pm

From the main page, Joe Carnahan apparently want the gig. He's my favorite of the directors interested so far. His sensibilities seem to fit this world. I liked the idea of Mendes, but it seemed he wanted to neuter it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/45401?q=node/45401
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Newest PREACHER news. I'll be honest, I've never seen one DJ Caruso film. I just hope they do this right. That's all I ask. If you go through this thread, you can see my passion for this project. C'mon Hollywood, don't fuck this up.

http://www.joblo.com/will-dj-caruso-be-the-one-to-helm-preacher
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 am

DJ Caruso's got a lot of style. The Salton Sea was good, and Disturbia was decent. He's been doing a lot of teenybopper stuff recently (two Shia LaBeouf movies, the upcoming I Am Number Four), but I think he could definitely do the material justice if they don't try to rein it in.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

Wish I shared your optimism. This screams neutered beyond recognition to me . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:10 am

Alex Pettyfer as The Saint Of Killers? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *has brain embolism* :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :?: :P :?
LOLWHUT?

Still, good tip as Shia for Arseface, saves on the makeup budget.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:06 pm

In case you guys didn't know, the Preacher TV series debuts May 22 on AMC. Here's some trailers!

This one I can't seem to find a YouTube version for: http://player.theplatform.com/p/M_UwQC/4ZAt3mZVG4z7/select/media/O5pBSB1gGrs8
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Preacher To Be HBO Series? Nope. AMC Series? Yup!

Postby Peven on Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 pm

i am surprised there hasn't been more discussion here about this....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Well I almost always watch TV shows years after they debut, so this is on my radar but I haven't been following it too intently. Then again if it gets especially good reviews I might make an exception.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

I know nothing about the comic, other than its existence, but am definitely eager to see this show!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: PREACHER (TV show)

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 26, 2016 9:26 am

Did anybody watch this Sunday night, and if so was it any good?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu May 26, 2016 10:18 am

Ribbons wrote:Did anybody watch this Sunday night, and if so was it any good?

I never read the comics, although I was aware of its existence....but my review would say that I was continually wondering what the fuck I was watching....all with a huge grin on my face. I like the characters a lot and can't wait to see what's next.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 am

I just wanted to say that this show is still extremely entertaining for me. Every review I read complains that the show is missing a lot from the comic...or that it's moving too slowly. I have zero problems with the show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Fievel wrote:I just wanted to say that this show is still extremely entertaining for me. Every review I read complains that the show is missing a lot from the comic...or that it's moving too slowly. I have zero problems with the show.

I'm watching Preacher now and am quite frankly loving it. I can see how people watching it live may have had problems with the pacing. Bingeing this particular show is the way to go. It's fucked-up, hilarious, and hugely entertaining.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:22 pm

I really, really, really liked this show. Can't wait for season 2.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Ribbons wrote:I really, really, really liked this show. Can't wait for season 2.

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:57 pm

it was a little slow, but alright

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm 3 episodes in - and have no CLUE what is going on!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Yeah, they do that a lot. They'll explain who certain people are and what certain things mean by the end of the season. Mostly.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Here comes season two:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:59 am

I really like this show.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:09 am

2 episodes behind the latest one. Tulip's story is slow and boring. As is Cassidy's sub plot which seems to go nowhere.

Not much else has happened.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 pm

You're slow and boring!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm

I caught up on those 2 episodes. My comment still stands.

So... Go to Hell, Ribbons!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Go to Hell, Ribbons!!!!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial