PREACHER (TV show)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

PREACHER (TV show)

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Mon May 22, 2006 1:36 am

This on the main site:

HBO may be considering a Preacher series

Firstly: great news if it's true. HBO could deliver something that's (fairly) true to the source material. I mean, some stuff, like the upside-down face-nailing and maybe Jesus de Sade's more colourful antics, wouldn't make it, but I think they could do a pretty good job. We basically have to face the fact that Preacher will never be made into a 100% faithful adaptation.

If HBO is producing a series, I'm all for it.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon May 22, 2006 1:37 am

If this hapens HBO I would hope sometime in the future they do King's Dark Tower.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon May 22, 2006 2:16 am

This news makes me a very happy panda, I hope its true.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 22, 2006 2:38 am

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=38884

My casting thoughts on PREACHER are all through that thread.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon May 22, 2006 8:58 am

As much as I'd like this to be true, I just don't think it is. Preacher fans have been fantasizing about an HBO series since before Preacher left the shelves. If the only "confirmation" we have is "Steve Dillon told me HBO is gonna do it!"....well, just sounds like another fake report to me.

But here's hoping it's not.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Shane on Mon May 22, 2006 1:20 pm

I hope they do it. This could make the future of comics on television if done right. Maybee it will just be the beginning of greatness. Just give me the ass face kid.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Iconoclastica on Mon May 22, 2006 1:28 pm

yeah I already expressed my opinion extensively in the "book to movie adaptations" thread last night, so I won't be redundant . . . I'll leave it at this - I just hope they have the balls to do it right . . .

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue May 23, 2006 6:43 am

Shane wrote:Just give me the ass face kid.

Your proposal is acceptable...
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:03 am

Preacher Series Coming to HBO!
Source: The Hollywood Reporter November 29, 2006

HBO is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series, Preacher, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Mark Steven Johnson (upcoming Ghost Rider, Daredevil) is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

Preacher, which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who represents the duo, also will serve as co-executive producer.

There have been several attempts to bring the comic to the screen, whether big or small, but nothing stuck, says the trade. A movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached.
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:13 am

I want more proof. They're LYING!

LYING!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:17 am

Lets hope their lying about MSJ. Thank god it's HBO.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:21 am

I think it could look promising!

I mean, okay its MSJ, but I believe him to be a dedicated comic book fan. He just ain't the most talented film maker ever. But if he mainly takes a producing role after the pilot... could be promising. Plus, I ain't seen DD: Directors Cut but don't people such as Harry say it ain't half bad!?!

HBO is a mega fucking plus! They can do this justice... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:54 am

This is very pleasing news to wake up to.

Let's hope they do it justice, having HBO produce it is very encouraging.

I need more details
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Proinsias on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:54 am

Mark Steven Johnson?

ak!...akak!.....no...

Im going home...
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chilli on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:06 am

Daredevil rocks, but LEAVE PREACHER ALONE!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 am

Making a TV show of it is a good idea.

And I suppose Mark Stephen Johnson is at least enthusiastic and usually has his heart in the right place.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:25 am

I'd agree if Ennis was writing it. But he's not, and it always struck me as a very personal story that scant others could pull off.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:44 am

Don't get me wrong, an Ennis-written TV adaptation would possibly be the best way to do it.

But then if that were to happen, you may as well just read the comic version.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:52 am

I'm a writer (HAH) and I've tried adapting the same story to different mediums, and it always turns out different. I'd have liked to see Ennis try to merge his comic sensibilities with a serialistic TV narrative. Plus I don't think MSJ is a terribly good writer. I dug Daredevil, but it did lack a certain amount of restraint at times, and TV really needs to be less spectacle and more restrained.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby John-Locke on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am

If HBO are doing this they will make sure that the script that finally ends up on screen will be of the highest quality, each and every single HBO show since The Sopranos and OZ has been absolutely superb (except Sex and The City) and I see no reason why a comic book apadtation (which many people have wanted HBO to do for years) would end that great run of success.

So yes I am excited by this prospect and have no doubt that it will be the greatest Comic book adaptation yet considering they will have time to develop characters and storylines properly and fully which is something that Movies just don't have the time to do.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:03 am

This is fantastic news for first thing in the morning. I agree with JL, HBO won't show it unless it's quality. And MSJ as director won't be a big issue, b/c it is a TV show. It will likely be directed by many people. Can't wait to hear some casting choices be announed. Matthew McConaughey for Jesse Custer!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Chilli on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 am

Mark Steven Johnson (upcoming Ghost Rider, Daredevil) is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct.

I'll be watching because I dig The Preacher... but I won't be convinced till I see some Preacher style ultra-violence.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Vegeta on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:06 pm

I am thrilled. This rumour has been floating around for sometime and it is especially pleasing to hear that it's true.

On another note, I still think James Mardsen would be a good pick for either preacher or his vampire friend (little typecast, so).
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:32 pm

So long as MSJ has some strong collaborators I believe this can be an excellent series. This assumes that even HBO allows for a story in which God is an irresponsible, arrogant jerk and is willing to put Arseface on camera. Go, HBO.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Shane on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:12 pm

Now I'm going to have to get HBO
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:18 pm

The mainpage tellus this is the same writing directing team as grumpier old men

please make up your own minds :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:21 pm

NONONONONONONONONONONONONO
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Garth Ennis' Preacher to be HBO TV Series!!!!! :-)

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:35 pm

This is good news! It'll have the nit and grit of the comic. IF they did a movie, there would be a lot more riding on it, not to mention that the larger story would be contained in about 2 hours. With the serialization, much more room. 12 eps alone would cover a large amount.

I have great fiath in the project. even with MSJ, who i actually like! I've watched the directors cut of DD a monstrous amount of times. ITs a far better movie than the theatrical, and affleck actually gets more of a chance to shine better as matt/dd

And i think Ghost Rider looks bad ass too
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Mark Steven Johnson = "Heroes'" Tim Kring

Both have great ideas but incredibly sloppy execution. Both are seen as successes because their products are financially viable/reach a large audience. Both are examples of how audiences will embrace and champion mediocrity. Both should be replaced by someone better.

I've never read Preacher, but I've heard the praise. I'm excited by HBO tackling the property, but that excitment is tempered by who's behind it. I want it to be great. I expect it to be good.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:01 pm

any show that promotes hard-drinking Irish Vampires is a show I can get behind!

Now hard-drinking Irish werewolves.... that's just fucking rediculous.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:13 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Mark Steven Johnson = "Heroes'" Tim Kring

Both have great ideas but incredibly sloppy execution. Both are seen as successes because their products are financially viable/reach a large audience. Both are examples of how audiences will embrace and champion mediocrity. Both should be replaced by someone better.

This is true, although I've held that with a better director, Daredevil could have been vastly improved; a couple of better-staged scenes here, a little judicious pruning there. I'm not sure whether the director has as many freedoms on a television show as he or she generally does on film sets, but if MSJ gets close enough to the mark with his teleplays then perhaps the director will be able to polish the material.

It's funny you see Tim Kring that way, because I was thinking the exact same thing not two days ago.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:18 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I've never read Preacher, but I've heard the praise.

Catch up with the times, friend Whedo. Grab Gone to Texas!
DennisMM

Postby Chilli on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:18 pm

My GOD I want someone to start a thread comparing Heroes to Lost. The good, the bad, the inbetween. I have my stance (humerous because I'm comparing two eps of Heroes to three seasons - one good, one bad, one mediocre so far - of Lost, but still.)

MSJ wise... I thought Daredevil rocked. Obviously folk can disagree, but it got to the heart of the character better than some of the other comic-book films.

So:

Both are seen as successes because their products are financially viable/reach a large audience.

I don't think DD did particularly well dude. Hence no sequel in an age where any Marvel film that makes a profit gets a sequel.

Both are examples of how audiences will embrace and champion mediocrity.

Yay. I like mediocrity, and not faithful comic-book adaptations. Dude, if you want to slam the guy that's fine... don't have a pop at me and others who enjoyed the film, assuming we're borne of idiocy idiot becausewe enjoyed the damn film. I happen to have an insane amount of understanding when it comes to narrative structure, how to frame a story, and how to analyse a story, and yet I enjoy Daredevil BECAUSE it's faithful to the comic-book, of which I am a fan. Many of us spend days, weeks, heck years bitching about comic-books being unfaithful to the source, yet when we get one like Daredevil that is, people go off and pick other faults in it.

I'm with people on the X-Men III hate. Same way I'm with that Batman & Robin was useless... but on DD, I'm taking a fricking stand.

Both should be replaced by someone better.

If the list includes Spielberg or Cameron, I'm pretty much going to go bang my head against a wall.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm

Ribbons wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Mark Steven Johnson = "Heroes'" Tim Kring

This is true, although I've held that with a better director, Daredevil could have been vastly improved; a couple of better-staged scenes here, a little judicious pruning there. I'm not sure whether the director has as many freedoms on a television show as he or she generally does on film sets, but if MSJ gets close enough to the mark with his teleplays then perhaps the director will be able to polish the material.

It's funny you see Tim Kring that way, because I was thinking the exact same thing not two days ago.

The thing I fear about MSJ on this show isn't his writing or directing abilities, it's that he's going to be one of the chief architects of the show. He's the one constructing the world, deciding on the tone and feel, casting the actors, etc. He gets enough of it right to make his films okay (I'm judging Ghost Rider on the trailer, I know, but it looks pretty atrocious), but not nearly enough to make them great. And based on the way folks speak of Preacher, anything less than great will be a sin.

Now, I will eat a whole boatload of crow should this show get made and should it rock, I'm just not so sure that's going to happen. After all, Heroes has all the elements to be my favorite show of all time, but instead it's just one of my top ten this year.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Hey Dennis is Preacher completely collected in TPB?

As for this argument. MW don't you think HBO will give a lot more room to work in when adapting a violent comic than a PG 13 film or a network show? They seem to go after edgy concepts so I assume they will be pressing for it to push the comic genre into a different more "adult" direction.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:27 pm

I am not Dennis but yes
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:31 pm

Chilli wrote:
Both are seen as successes because their products are financially viable/reach a large audience.

I don't think DD did particularly well dude. Hence no sequel in an age where any Marvel film that makes a profit gets a sequel.

From BOMOJO: Production cost $78 million, total gross international and US, $179 million. That sounds like good money until we think about marketing costs and Affleck probably getting plenty of back-end money.

Kaga, there are nine voumes:

Gone to Texas
Until the End of the World
Proud Americans
Ancient History
Dixie Fried
War in the Sun
Salvation
All Hell's A-Coming
Alamo

All in print and available at amazon USA and probably worldwide at decent new prices and probably excellent prices on auction sites.
DennisMM

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:37 pm

Chilli wrote:MSJ wise... I thought Daredevil rocked. Obviously folk can disagree, but it got to the heart of the character better than some of the other comic-book films.

So:

Daredevil made $179 million worldwide with a production budget of $78 million. Factoring in for marketing and other expenses, the studios still made roughly $80 million or so from the movie.

Also, Avi Arad has been quoted in the past as saying MSJ can adapt any Marvel property he'd like. This point above all others angers me.

Chilli wrote:
Both are examples of how audiences will embrace and champion mediocrity.

Yay. I like mediocrity, and not faithful comic-book adaptations. Dude, if you want to slam the guy that's fine... don't have a pop at me and others who enjoyed the film, assuming we're borne of idiocy idiot becausewe enjoyed the damn film. I happen to have an insane amount of understanding when it comes to narrative structure, how to frame a story, and how to analyse a story, and yet I enjoy Daredevil BECAUSE it's faithful to the comic-book, of which I am a fan. Many of us spend days, weeks, heck years bitching about comic-books being unfaithful to the source, yet when we get one like Daredevil that is, people go off and pick other faults in it.

I'm with people on the X-Men III hate. Same way I'm with that Batman & Robin was useless... but on DD, I'm taking a fricking stand.

The irony is that I like X3 despite its blatant faults.

Look, I didn't mean to take a direct swipe at you, but if you feel that I did, I apologize. That said, can you honestly tell me you think Heroes is one of the best directed or best written shows on television right now? Can you tell me MSJ is an exceptional writer/director? Personally, I think both do/are doing servicable jobs, putting out mediocre products where something truly GREAT could've been. But then, I'd argue that 24 is an example of mediocrity, and it just won the Emmy--but that's another debate for another time.

Chilli wrote:
Both should be replaced by someone better.

If the list includes Spielberg or Cameron, I'm pretty much going to go bang my head against a wall.

Better Spielberg or Cameron than Tim Story.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:38 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Heroes has all the elements to be my favorite show of all time, but instead it's just one of my top ten this year.

Maybe it's just not your destiny to like it, because when we are on quests that are against our nature, maybe the human heart will set us back on the right path, because we yearn for the stars even though we don't know it, because that is the destiny of our evolution, because even though we are all connected we are different at the same time, and our destiny will reveal our special abilities to us, etc...

[/mohinder]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:41 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:As for this argument. MW don't you think HBO will give a lot more room to work in when adapting a violent comic than a PG 13 film or a network show? They seem to go after edgy concepts so I assume they will be pressing for it to push the comic genre into a different more "adult" direction.

Absolutely. And the fact that it's going to be on HBO is what inspires me with the faith I have.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Heroes has all the elements to be my favorite show of all time, but instead it's just one of my top ten this year.

Maybe it's just not your destiny to like it, because when we are on quests that are against our nature, maybe the human heart will set us back on the right path, because we yearn for the stars even though we don't know it, because that is the destiny of our evolution, because even though we are all connected we are different at the same time, and our destiny will reveal our special abilities to us, etc...

[/mohinder]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Nicely done.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:44 pm

Wish I were that funny. Ribbons, you're a bastard. Everyone better than me is a bastard except the women. I haven't found a proper insult for them.
DennisMM

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:18 pm

DennisMM wrote:Wish I were that funny. Ribbons, you're a bastard. Everyone better than me is a bastard except the women. I haven't found a proper insult for them.

Cagle?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:06 pm

WOO HOO!!!!
(about Preacher finally coming to the screen, not to Mark Steven Johnson being involved).

Now, I've spoken my peace no the casting many times before. Check out this thread when I thought they still might make a film (look for the giant post, WITH PICS!).

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=38884&highlight=preacher
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:50 pm

C'mon folks! Casting ideas?

Who's Jesse? Cass? Tulip? The Saint? Starr? Root? Jody? TC? Granma?

I already told my thoughts. I want to know who everyone else wants to see on screen.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:53 pm

Just a little something I threw together.

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:41 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this but my concern is that the ratings won't be there and the show will be canceled before it gets a good start or, fearing a small audience, HBO gives it small budget and things get cut - things like gore, explosions, and a CG angel and demon fuckin' in the bushes. The next step is casting. That's where we'll see what kind of decisions are being made. I'm keeping an open mind. I'll give Johnson the benefit of the doubt, but Deutch? Does he have a genre credit to his name? This is the show the Masters of Horror directors should flocking to.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:40 am

Look, I didn't mean to take a direct swipe at you, but if you feel that I did, I apologize. That said, can you honestly tell me you think Heroes is one of the best directed or best written shows on television right now? Can you tell me MSJ is an exceptional writer/director? Personally, I think both do/are doing servicable jobs, putting out mediocre products where something truly GREAT could've been. But then, I'd argue that 24 is an example of mediocrity, and it just won the Emmy--but that's another debate for another time.

Dude, I can honestly say that Heroes IS the most enjoyable show I'm watching this year. BSG/VM/Prison Break are better, but Heroes is just flat-out fun. Could it be improved? Yeah, it could ditch a few of the subpar characters, but at the same time it's in the first season, and aside from Lost, PB and VM recent first seasons have been really, really average.

Maybe if I wasn't so burned out with Lost, and so annoyed at how that's gone from being 'must-watch' TV to dreck with one episode out of six I found remotely good I wouldn't dig Heroes so much, but that's the situation I'm in.

I don't think MSJ is an exceptional writer or director, but I think he did a great job with Daredevil. Doesn't make me want to go and see Ghost Rider or feel that Preacher can work with him involved, but he did a good job with DD. Besides, when you've sat through and read some of the crap DD has been victim to comic-wise (including some of the Bendis stuff) then you can appreciate a film true to the character.

Also, Avi Arad has been quoted in the past as saying MSJ can adapt any Marvel property he'd like. This point above all others angers me.

What the fuck? GAH. Hire other people you cretin. Variety is needed.

Better Spielberg or Cameron than Tim Story.

I don't think Spielberg of Cameron would get The Fantastic Four mythos at all. Tim Story barely did, but the other two have just gone so far up their own asses that they'd want to make it more than it is, and we'd wind up with an bloated epic (Titanic) or a crappy sci-fi picture (WOTW). The ideal choice, were a time-machine and time travel possible, would be to go and get Robert Zemeckis to do it, and have someone cast Tim Robbins as Reed (because the film and universe behind the FF makes more sense is Reed's somewhat of a Father figure to Ben/Johnny.)

Swipe wise... no prob dude. Sometimes I just get annoyed when people criticise the fact that I could possibly enjoy a movie, rather then the fact that I talk absolute crap.

On that note:

For some reason I think Steve Buscemi would make a good Cassidy.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:57 am

HEY! I ain't read Preacher dudes! I'm going to the comic book shop in 4 hours! Someone tell me what one to read first!!!

I see the list above, but is it in order? So I should get Gone to Texas... correct?

I've wanted to read this for a long time but now even more so... especially as I started the thread!!!!

So... tell me I'm right... you have 4 hours... the clock starts.............NOW! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:23 am

Had a thought whilst watching Carnivale last night -

Seeing as Clancy Brown has been in a few high profile series now ,Lost and Carnivale (for HBO) is that likely to improve or lessen his chances as being considered to play the Saint of Killers?

He would be perfect.....you know it
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial