PREACHER (TV show)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Chilli on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:33 am

silentbobafett wrote:HEY! I ain't read Preacher dudes! I'm going to the comic book shop in 4 hours! Someone tell me what one to read first!!!

I see the list above, but is it in order? So I should get Gone to Texas... correct?

I've wanted to read this for a long time but now even more so... especially as I started the thread!!!!

So... tell me I'm right... you have 4 hours... the clock starts.............NOW! :-)

Gone To Texas first. It's a good read.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:23 am

Well done Chilli, you just beat the clock! We are friends... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:24 am

Oh, there's also a prequel graphic novel. Ancient History. Has a really awesome short comic with Satan.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:26 am

DennisMM wrote: there are nine voumes:

Gone to Texas
Until the End of the World
Proud Americans
Ancient History
Dixie Fried
War in the Sun
Salvation
All Hell's A-Coming
Alamo

All in print and available at amazon USA and probably worldwide at decent new prices and probably excellent prices on auction sites.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:29 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
DennisMM wrote: there are nine volumes:

Gone to Texas
Until the End of the World
Proud Americans
Ancient History
Dixie Fried
War in the Sun
Salvation
All Hell's A-Coming
Alamo

All in print and available at amazon USA and probably worldwide at decent new prices and probably excellent prices on auction sites.

Good but I am still unclear on if this is the whole run of Preacher or merely a portion of it. I have never read Preacher but I may pick up this first TPB based on this news.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:30 am

That right there is everything and it's awesome
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:41 am

I got Preacher 1: Gone to Texas on Thursday - read it over the weekend (was up at 7am on Sunday just to read it! Fucking Loved it!

I always thought I would, thats kinda why I had less dirve to read it, cos I jsut had this feeling I would love it so I wanted to read something that might go either way. Weird huh!?! Yup... :-)

Anyway, I'm set up for the show now! Bring it on! Stupid, bullshit geek casting ideas coming soon! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm personally shocked and appalled that no one has thrown out any casting ideas yet.

But check out this cool info from Mark Steven Johnson...

[quote]

Did this sort of prep you for doing THE PREACHER because that's the whole heaven and hell thing, right?

Well, THE PREACHER is something that I've always wanted to do. It is the greatest, but it is so difficult, and I love it more than anyone does. I remember reading a script a while ago that was going to go to film and I was like, 'How do you make a two hour movie of THE PREACHER? You can't do it.' So when I went into HBO I said very simply, 'Here is the comic. There are seventy something issues here, seventy-five issues plus the four issues of killers.' I said, 'Every issue is an hour.' It's a six year show and HBO, God bless them, went, 'Cool.'

So are you staying really loyal to the whole storyline?

Not loyal. Exact. So it's like we had our first meeting the other day. I keep waiting for them to go, 'We're not doing this!'… But they were like, 'God bless.' I was like, 'F*cking HBO has balls.' They were like, 'Bring it. Do it.' It's just like DAREDEVIL, it's just like GHOST RIDER, no one comes to your door and rings the doorbell and goes, 'Hey, you wanna do these movies?' I'm the last guy, but I'm the guy who gets it done because I care and I do it. So people have tried to make DAREDEVIL and they've tried to make GHOST RIDER and it hasn't happened, but I got them made.

DAREDEVIL was with mixed results and GHOST RIDER, I hope much better and PREACHER, I hope to be exact. In fact, today I emailed Kevin Smith and I said, 'Dude, I just got Preacher. You know you love it. If it goes would you please direct an episode?' I want to go to Kevin. I want to go to Robert Rodriguez and do guest directors. I think that would be really cool. I want it to be a prestige thing. 'You love Preacher? Come do a show.' Usually it's a guest actor. I want it to be a guest director. I want to keep the spirit of it, keep the vibe of it, but also know that there'll be a different imprint every time when it comes to directing the show. My job is to help write the shows. I'm working with Garth [Ennis] everyday. He's a big part of it to make sure that it's exactly what we want and then let the director put his imprint on it, but it's got to be a book.

How involved would Garth be if the series takes off?

If he wants to be, absolutely; my first meeting was yesterday, and Garth was in New York, but he was on the speaker phone. Like all meetings, there were twenty people there and one person on the speaker phone and everyone was going like this to the speaker phone [bending down into the “speaker phoneâ€
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:33 pm

Ok, if you are too lazy to click my link above (with pics), here are my casting suggestions...

Jesse: Heath Ledger
Tulip: Rachel McAdams
Cassidy: Sean Patrick Flanery
Sheriff Root: Chris Cooper
Saint of Killers: Clancy Brown
Herr Starr: Liam Neeson
Granma: Nan Martin
Jody: Tyler Mane
T. C. : Clint Howard

What do you think?

I am so excited about this news, but I'm terribly disappointed that I'm not going to get to direct/develop this. This was always my dream project if I broke into the biz.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:46 pm

[quote="Nachokoolaid"]I'm personally shocked and appalled that no one has thrown out any casting ideas yet.

But check out this cool info from Mark Steven Johnson...

[quote]

Did this sort of prep you for doing THE PREACHER because that's the whole heaven and hell thing, right?

Well, THE PREACHER is something that I've always wanted to do. It is the greatest, but it is so difficult, and I love it more than anyone does. I remember reading a script a while ago that was going to go to film and I was like, 'How do you make a two hour movie of THE PREACHER? You can't do it.' So when I went into HBO I said very simply, 'Here is the comic. There are seventy something issues here, seventy-five issues plus the four issues of killers.' I said, 'Every issue is an hour.' It's a six year show and HBO, God bless them, went, 'Cool.'

So are you staying really loyal to the whole storyline?

Not loyal. Exact. So it's like we had our first meeting the other day. I keep waiting for them to go, 'We're not doing this!'… But they were like, 'God bless.' I was like, 'F*cking HBO has balls.' They were like, 'Bring it. Do it.' It's just like DAREDEVIL, it's just like GHOST RIDER, no one comes to your door and rings the doorbell and goes, 'Hey, you wanna do these movies?' I'm the last guy, but I'm the guy who gets it done because I care and I do it. So people have tried to make DAREDEVIL and they've tried to make GHOST RIDER and it hasn't happened, but I got them made.

DAREDEVIL was with mixed results and GHOST RIDER, I hope much better and PREACHER, I hope to be exact. In fact, today I emailed Kevin Smith and I said, 'Dude, I just got Preacher. You know you love it. If it goes would you please direct an episode?' I want to go to Kevin. I want to go to Robert Rodriguez and do guest directors. I think that would be really cool. I want it to be a prestige thing. 'You love Preacher? Come do a show.' Usually it's a guest actor. I want it to be a guest director. I want to keep the spirit of it, keep the vibe of it, but also know that there'll be a different imprint every time when it comes to directing the show. My job is to help write the shows. I'm working with Garth [Ennis] everyday. He's a big part of it to make sure that it's exactly what we want and then let the director put his imprint on it, but it's got to be a book.

How involved would Garth be if the series takes off?

If he wants to be, absolutely; my first meeting was yesterday, and Garth was in New York, but he was on the speaker phone. Like all meetings, there were twenty people there and one person on the speaker phone and everyone was going like this to the speaker phone [bending down into the “speaker phoneâ€
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:48 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Ok, if you are too lazy to click my link above (with pics), here are my casting suggestions...

What do you think?

I am so excited about this news, but I'm terribly disappointed that I'm not going to get to direct/develop this. This was always my dream project if I broke into the biz.

For a TV series I would almost hope more for no-names.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:52 pm

is it just me or does MSJ say he has always loved everything he makes a movie of,and loves it more than anyone else? i read about how DD was his favorite when he was making that movie, then it was Ghost Rider, now it is Preacher. i appreciate enthusiasm but when i see the guy saying the same things over and over it kind of diminishes my perception of just how genuine it is.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:54 pm

I hope it is...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:08 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:Ok, if you are too lazy to click my link above (with pics), here are my casting suggestions...

What do you think?

For a TV series I would almost hope more for no-names.

True, although I would hope that Chris Cooper and Clancy Brown would still be locks for their roles.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:34 pm

Ok, Nacho. You want casting, lets do it. First, I'll argue yours.

Jesse: Heath Ledger...Not. Southern. Enough.
Tulip: Rachel McAdams...Too young and scrawny.
Cassidy: Sean Patrick Flanery...Too pretty
Sheriff Root: Chris Cooper...or you could go with the character's inspiration
Saint of Killers: Clancy Brown...This one works
Herr Starr: Liam Neeson...He plays good Germans, but not batshit crazy, gun-nut Germans
Granma: Nan Martin...Will only make you think of Drew Carrey
Jody: Tyler Mane...No, I repeat, NO WRESTLERS
T. C. : Clint Howard...to campy

Now here's mine. I did a complete character list, but will explain on the one's we differ.

Jesse: Matthew McConaughey...he is a real charming southerner
Tulip: Unknown Actress...yeah, I got nuthin
Cassidy: Robert Carlyle...looks like he's been doin smack for 200 yrs
Sheriff Root: R. Lee Emery...go with the source!
Aresface: Elijah Wood
Herr Starr: Gary Oldman...no one does over the top batshit like Oldman
Hoover: Adrian Lester
Featherstone: Tilda Swinton
Allfather D'Aronique: Al Pacino...who it is will be in a studly suit, might as well go for the gusto
Granma: Random Old Woman...again, I got nuthin
Jody: Mickey Rourke...I'd have preferred Russell Crowe from Romper Stomper, BUT Rourke is the aged, beaten Jody hands down. Oh, and he's an actor
T. C. : Tracey Walter...just more of an actor, not as campy
Jesus DeSade: Crispin Glover
Bob Glover: Michael Chiklis
Freddy Allen: Woody Allen
Odin Quincannon: Dominic Chianese
Cindy Dagget: Rosario Dawson
Christina L'Angelle: An elegant down to earth actress in her 40s.

There....you got casting. Now you can be happy. ;-)
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:47 pm

shit, Ginger. you'd need $100 million just for the actors payroll with that line up. :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:39 pm

Well, if I could cast this thing perfectly within a TV budget....well, I'd be a casting director.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:56 pm

And that is why I say unknowns
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:07 am

YEAH YEAH YEAH but you gotta fucking cast

David Carradine as THe Saint of Killers!

Carradine is The SAINT OF KILLERS! This is who I saw and heard the minute I turned the page to see THE SAINT OF KILLERS!

I don't mind unkowns. I really hate the idea of Ledger! Not that I dislike him, but noooo! Plus let him concentrate on the Joker! :-)

As for Clancy Brown, bring him in in any fucking role!

R Lee Ermy needs to be in there but as the cop seems to obvious!

But unknowns or character actors! But Bill as the Saint please! :-)

or Clint Eastwood... ;-) :-) heh heh :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:45 am

When I see The Saint of Killers, I think Rondo Hatton.

Rondo's kind of, um, dead now, but actor "Tiny" Ron Taylor was made up to look like him in The Rocketeer. They've got to at least audition the big lug.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:52 pm

As much as I love R Lee Ermy, he's far too old now. And why cast a famous actor (Elijah Wood) in a role where you'd never see his face or hear him speak legibly?

But I'm really digging Crispin Glover for Jesus DeSade. That's your best pick, I think.

I think Cassidy needs to be much younger. Remember, he was like 16 when he was bitten. Sure, the hard drugs and hard livin will make him look aged, but not Robert Carlyle old.

Matt McConaughey is too old already, if you ask me, to be Jesse.

And Gary Oldman was my first choice for Starr, but after some thought, I think I'd enjoy Neeson more there.

It would be cool to see Bob Glover and Freddy Allen be played by the two guys from Pirates of the Caribbean. (You KNOW which two- the one that gets the fork stuck in his wooden eye and the "parley" guy). Just think of the physical resemblance.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby doglips on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:28 am

Big interview with MSJ over at Newsarama
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:00 am

Good interview. I am steadily gaining confidence in this guy. Although I have to reserve some judgement until Ghost rider comes out
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 am

Hope it's better than the ones you have when you're drunk.

Farking trying to kiss me, and trashing McDonalds thinking you're a Velociraptor.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:As much as I love R Lee Ermy, he's far too old now. And why cast a famous actor (Elijah Wood) in a role where you'd never see his face or hear him speak legibly?

But I'm really digging Crispin Glover for Jesus DeSade. That's your best pick, I think.

I think Cassidy needs to be much younger. Remember, he was like 16 when he was bitten. Sure, the hard drugs and hard livin will make him look aged, but not Robert Carlyle old.

Matt McConaughey is too old already, if you ask me, to be Jesse.

And Gary Oldman was my first choice for Starr, but after some thought, I think I'd enjoy Neeson more there.

It's interesting that you think I'm casting these characters too old, b/c I think you're casting some of them waaaaaay too young.

Sean Flanery is only 4 yrs younger than Carlyle. Cooper is only 6 years younger than Emery. I think with Carlyle, you're equating ugly with old. Cassidy is not a pretty man. He's a weak willed, scrawny, man-child who despite all this, wins the world over with a shit-eating smile. That's Carlyle.

Root is an ignorant racist who rules by fear b/c he's scared of the world. Plus, the character is basically one-dimensional and rather unimportant. This needs a good character actor and since Emery basically created this character, I don't see why he shouldn't play it. Cooper would be wasted on such an unimportant, one-note character.

Elijah as Arseface. If MSJ shoots the mini-series, we'll need a face for the character. But I mainly chose him b/c of his skill as an actor.
You're going to need a very talented actor to express Arseface's teenage angst, ignorance, naivity, and fear w/o the aid of his face or words. Elijah can do that. So this choice was strictly about talent over facial recognition.

In regards to Jesse, McConaughey is only 37. Jesse Custer is at least 30. I mean look at this guy.

Plus, Jesse is a southerner...a real, honest-to-goodness, "even if the south don't rise again, the north still fuckin' sucks" southerner. It's one of the character's key traits and ties directly into the story's western roots. You need a real southerner to pull that off. You need Matthew McConaughey.

Oh, and Tulip should be played by Naomi Watts.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:36 pm

You say that Jesse is 30, but I think he's actually in his early 20s. Also, I'm keeping in mind that whoever they cast will be about six years (at least) older when the series finishes. (Think 90210 or saved by the bell. They weren't exactly looking like high school kids at the end). I don't want Tulip looking like she's going through menopause at the end of the show's run.

Maybe it's becuase I think Ledger would do well as Jesse, but what about Michelle Williams as Tulip? I think she'd be pretty nice. She's a great actress and she's done some nudity.

Plus, she and Ledger have said that they'd like to work together more and this would give them a chance.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:36 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:You say that Jesse is 30, but I think he's actually in his early 20s. Also, I'm keeping in mind that whoever they cast will be about six years (at least) older when the series finishes. (Think 90210 or saved by the bell. They weren't exactly looking like high school kids at the end).

I can't believe I've actually just put this much effort into proving my point about a comic character's age BUT.....here we go.

- Jesse's parents had him almost 9 months exactly after they met.
- Jesse's parents lived together for 4 yrs before being taken back to Angelville.
- Jesse first saw John Wayne in True Grit, which came out in 1969.
- John Wayne started appearing to Jesse a year after his father was killed, but John Wayne himself didn't die until (i dont know how many) years later in 1979.
- Preacher #1 was released in 1995.

If we assume Preacher took place at the same time it was released and Jesse was born the year True Grit was released, he would be 26. Since Jesse was 4 before being taken to Angelville and the art shows him seeing True Grit as at least 2, we can assume that Jesse is somewhere between 28-30 yrs old. And since Tulip is a few years older than Jesse, that puts her at 30-32 yrs old.

Now...all that aside. I mainly just don't think Ledger would be good for the role. He's a good actor, no doubt. But his American, particularly his western, accent sucks ass. And he's too soft to play Jesse...way too soft. Same goes for Michelle Williams...way too soft.

I have no problem with the actors aging over the course of the show. Their quest is so rough, so heavy, they should look older and beaten by the end of it. None of the characters make it to the end w/o taking numerous, life-threatening ass-kickings.

Remember, while this is based off a comic, it's being made into an adult drama on HBO. Which means not just cussing, tits, and blood...but like, really for adults. They won't cast the characters as pretty 20-somethings.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:12 pm

Not to piss you off an further or anything, but....aw, fuck it. I guess you're right.

I just don't want them too old.

What's your opinion on James Marsden (who was approched to play him when this was still being considered as a film).

Do you think he could be Jesse?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:19 pm

I was thinking about HBO. What about Band of Brother's Damien Lewis (Major Winters) as Cassidy? The more I think of it, the more I like it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:40 pm

I always thought Marsden was a bit stiff for Jesse, even back when he was announced for the film. But Damien Lewis is spot on for Cassidy. I could happily get behind that casting choice.

And lo, peace did descend upon the land like an early morning dew of peacey goodness.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Melee Stormbringer on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:07 pm

as long as they don't screw it up like Helllblazer. Constantine was okay, but just not what i was hoping for. And for the love of God....NO KEANU REEVES!!!!!
The Baltimore Zombie Trilogy...coming soon from Troma Entertainment. Visit the official website: http://www.zombiedeath.pureshift.com
Melee Stormbringer
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:36 pm

Melee Stormbringer wrote:as long as they don't screw it up like Helllblazer. Constantine was okay, but just not what i was hoping for. And for the love of God....NO KEANU REEVES!!!!!

Seconded. Although, I would really enjoy him being the fallen angel that birthed Genesis. Imagine Reeves delivering that monologue about the passion between them while Jesse's like, "I got it. You fucked. Move on."

:lol:
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Have I mentioned how fucking giddy I am at the prospect of this show? They'd have to fuck up casting MAJOR to make me not watch every single episode, that's how much faith I have in the storytelling.

And Damien Lewis in anything is good in my book.

Marsden-I could see. Not super excited, but I don't think he'd be a totally awful choice. It might be his chance to, you know, stretch a little. And I loooooved him in the X movies.

Tulip almost has to be an unknown, because the only person I could ever see as her was Naomi Watts. Naomi does fucked up good.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:02 am

I'm giddy too, actually. My poor GF is so tired of hearing me talk about it. I haven't read the comics in years, and I'm frustrated that we won't see this another 2 years probably. But I was in the comic store this evening and I saw the Preacher trades...and well, it just made me more giddy. I want this here now!!!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Yeah, this is almost like mine and Ginger's personal wank thread. It seems like we're the only too excited about this. Although it's good to have Lyra in our corner, so the wanking will feel less... homosexual.

Honestly, this is worth owning HBO, alone.

I hope they do the guest director thing too. I'd like to see a Rodriguez, del Toro, Tarantino, Nolan, etc. directed episode.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:12 pm

So it looks like HBO is courting some HUGE names to direct the Preacher series. Check it out (courtest of CHUD...I know, I feel dirty too).

Unfortunately, the filmmakers who've been attached to the property over the years (e.g. Rachel Talalay and Howard Deutch) have been some of the very worst in the history of medium.

Deutch was the first director of choice for HBO and Mark Steven Johnson, who will executive produce the entire series and write the pilot. That's bad news until you consider that the Daredevil and Ghost Rider auteur has stated over and over that he will strive for a Zack Snyder-ian faithfulness with his adaptation. This means the success of the series will most likely be contingent on casting and directing. Though there's been no movement on the former, the search for the latter has heated up over the last week: first, we heard about Robert Rodriguez being courted. Some expressed doubt over this, but a friend of mine who's in position to know these things confirmed the story. What's more, he dropped this tidbit: they're looking for a big name director to make a splash with the pilot, after which they'll rotate other talented directors into the mix. And wait 'til you get a load of some of the names they're chasing.

When I heard Brian De Palma was in the running, I quit worrying about Mark Steven Johnson altogether. When I heard David Cronenberg was also in the running, I wondered if I was being jerked around. But it makes sense: Benderspink, which is producing Preacher, just worked with Cronenberg a few years ago on A History of Violence. That film was a critical and commercial success for both parties. Other directors being circled include Danny Boyle, Alex Proyas, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and, as previously mentioned, [Robert] Rodriguez.

It's important to note that, while HBO is very serious about Preacher all of a sudden, the project is still in the discussion stage. That said, I can tell you for a fact that if there is a groundswell of interest online, the long shot odds of a De Palma or a Cronenberg directing the pilot of Preacher will improve dramatically. If you want a quality Preacher, now's the time to speak up. HBO is paying attention.

De Palma?!?! Cronenberg?!?!?!? BOYLE?!??!?!?! Please, please, please make this happen.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:46 pm

I think Rodriguez would be pretty good as well. The first half of "From Dusk til Dawn" would be a lot of how I would picture preacher.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:10 am

God I hope this is done well. It was always one of the comics that I really enjoyed
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:47 am

Leckomaniac wrote:So it looks like HBO is courting some HUGE names to direct the Preacher series. Check it out (courtest of CHUD...I know, I feel dirty too).

Unfortunately, the filmmakers who've been attached to the property over the years (e.g. Rachel Talalay and Howard Deutch) have been some of the very worst in the history of medium.

Deutch was the first director of choice for HBO and Mark Steven Johnson, who will executive produce the entire series and write the pilot. That's bad news until you consider that the Daredevil and Ghost Rider auteur has stated over and over that he will strive for a Zack Snyder-ian faithfulness with his adaptation. This means the success of the series will most likely be contingent on casting and directing. Though there's been no movement on the former, the search for the latter has heated up over the last week: first, we heard about Robert Rodriguez being courted. Some expressed doubt over this, but a friend of mine who's in position to know these things confirmed the story. What's more, he dropped this tidbit: they're looking for a big name director to make a splash with the pilot, after which they'll rotate other talented directors into the mix. And wait 'til you get a load of some of the names they're chasing.

When I heard Brian De Palma was in the running, I quit worrying about Mark Steven Johnson altogether. When I heard David Cronenberg was also in the running, I wondered if I was being jerked around. But it makes sense: Benderspink, which is producing Preacher, just worked with Cronenberg a few years ago on A History of Violence. That film was a critical and commercial success for both parties. Other directors being circled include Danny Boyle, Alex Proyas, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and, as previously mentioned, [Robert] Rodriguez.

It's important to note that, while HBO is very serious about Preacher all of a sudden, the project is still in the discussion stage. That said, I can tell you for a fact that if there is a groundswell of interest online, the long shot odds of a De Palma or a Cronenberg directing the pilot of Preacher will improve dramatically. If you want a quality Preacher, now's the time to speak up. HBO is paying attention.

De Palma?!?! Cronenberg?!?!?!? BOYLE?!??!?!?! Please, please, please make this happen.

Ah... my personal wank thread returns. Please, please please be true. This is great news.

The Preacher series may be the most entertaining read I've had in any medium.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:45 am

My gods..... if there was an all-star list of directors to helm the series, that would be friggin' AMAZING!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chilli on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:00 am

Outstanding.

I have reservations, but if they can pull this off (and not cast fucking Matthew Fox in the lead) I'm psyched.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:17 am

I haven't read the source material, but you guys seem to think highly of it., so that makes me hopefull.

If those directors are part of it then count me EXCITED.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Vegeta on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:35 am

The source material is excellent. I highly recommend picking up all nine trade paperbacks. It's worth it.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:50 am

Vegeta wrote:The source material is excellent. I highly recommend picking up all nine trade paperbacks. It's worth it.

I'll put it on my list.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Garth Ennis' Preacher to be HBO TV Series!!!!! :-)

Postby tapehead on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Just in case you still thought this might - ain't gonna happen
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 pm

tapehead wrote:Just in case you still thought this might - ain't gonna happen

Shame it never worked out. Could have been gold.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:05 am

HBO = pussies. What the fuck is happening over there!?!?!?!

A lot of back-patting going on in the beginning of that article.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 am

How the f* can HBO find anything to dark, to controversial and to violent?? I thought that was what they like to release, tv that can't be shown anywhere else...
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:28 am

buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 am

tapehead wrote:Just in case you still thought this might - ain't gonna happen

Shit.
Got us all worked up for nothing.

Its my goddam honeymoon all over again.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial