Twin Peaks: Now on Showtime!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Twin Peaks: Now on Showtime!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:44 am

I'm pretty sure we used to have a Twin Peaks thread, but I cannot for the life of me find it, so I've started this new one to announce that Paramount have FINALLY sorted out the release of Season 2. It looks like Europe will get it in two installments, one next month and the other in April, while the US will have to wait until April, but will then get the whole thing in one go.

So, anyone who has seen the whole series, got any theories? Personally, I'm in two minds about whether to take the "supernatural" stuff literally. I love the fact that you can see it both ways - if you see BOB and the Black Lodge stuff as "real", TP is a fascinating supernatural thriller. If you see them as metaphors (as I tend to do), you can read it as an allegory about [SPOILERS]the devastating effects of child abuse - Leland remembers BOB as someone from his childhood who tricked him into doing stuff against his will. He grew up and then repeated this behaviour with Laura/Theresa/Maddie[/SPOILERS]

Anyway, news about the DVDs is here, here and here. Yay!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:46 am

So happy right now.

I for one take the supernatural stuff literally
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 am

I've always looked at it the second way you talk about the incest taboo causing some massive memory repression that comes out in these hallucinations, or mental projections - cause I really think Lynch likes the idea of metal projection or telepathy, and it's the only way to explain other characters seeing Bob - some of the other characters see Bob, right? it's been a while. I came to think of the Black Lodge as a sort of collective unconscious of the town
I watched these on tv when they first aired on Oz tv, so long ago (1992?), I'd love to watch them again - great news.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:54 am

Don't get me wrong - I do too....sometimes. I kind of flit between interpretations. But I'd definitely say that if you watch Fire Walk With Me you kind of HAVE to take it literally - which is why I have such a schizo take on the series!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:58 am

tapehead wrote: the incest taboo causing some massive memory repression that comes out in these hallucinations, or mental projections - cause I really think Lynch likes the idea of metal projection or telepathy, and it's the only way to explain other characters seeing Bob - some of the other characters see Bob, right? it's been a while. I came to think of the Black Lodge as a sort of collective unconscious of the town

Awesome stuff, Tape! What you wrote is so cool that the 8) smilie doesn't really do it justice. It's more worthy of a smilie like this:

ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:03 am

Hey, let's have the whole bunch go at it!

ImageImage
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:04 am

Cheers!
Lynch is into Transcendental Meditation - so all that kind of thing is kind of his bag, I think.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby mistertim on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 am

Worth coming out of lurking exile for.. I've been waiting for this for years... fantastic news!

agree with your theory, I think, TITG, although it doesn't fully explain why [SPOILERS]Cooper becomes Bob right at the end of S2[/SPOILERS] [THIS IS A SPOILER UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN ALL OF SERIES TWO!] unless I'm missing something...
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby doglips on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:13 am

I try and look at it both ways. Or to put it another way, I try not to think about it at all. To me, the whole series is such a bewildering achievement, it does not deserve to be broken right down into it's component plot parts.

You just have to watch, revel in and take away the extraordinary range of feelings and sensations the program emotes. Thats why these box sets are great - you can watch massive chunks at a time, basically immersing yourself in Lynch's delicious world.

The 80's zeitgeist inherent in the program now, is a real bonus and makes for an even more effecting watch. I'll be buying.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:14 am

mistertim wrote:Worth coming out of lurking exile for.. I've been waiting for this for years... fantastic news!

agree with your theory, I think, TITG, although it doesn't fully explain why [SPOILERS]Cooper becomes Bob right at the end of S2[/SPOILERS] [THIS IS A SPOILER UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN ALL OF SERIES TWO!] unless I'm missing something...

Exactly!

Nor does it explain Onr armed Mikes interactions with Bob
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:18 am

I cannot wait for this. Any news on extras?

I think a peaks and drinkathon are in order.

Cherry Pie anyone?
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:20 am

mistertim wrote:agree with your theory, I think, TITG, although it doesn't fully explain why [SPOILERS]Cooper becomes Bob right at the end of S2[/SPOILERS]

Tim! Good to see you actually saying something buddy!

And you are, of course right in what you wrote - a point which is kind of borne out in Fire Walk With Me. I suppose the point is that BOTH interpretations are true. Allegories are supposed to be both literal AND metaphorical I think (although it's been many a year since I studied that kind of thing...), so I guess "allegory" is the best way to describe the story!

At this point, I'd better point out that some of the stuff in the second half of Season 2 is kind of weak - there were all kinds of pressures on Lynch and Frost to resolve the murder storyline and come up with new stuff - I think this hurt the series a lot, but Lynch kind of pulled it back in the final episode. Wonder what kind of extras will be on the boxset?

In recognition of this great news, I'm changing my av for the rest of the week!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:23 am

I think in series two thay atarted playing with tv drama conventions alot - remember the soap you'd see on tv invarious scenes - what was it called?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:25 am

thedoglippedone wrote:You just have to watch, revel in and take away the extraordinary range of feelings and sensations the program emotes. Thats why these box sets are great - you can watch massive chunks at a time, basically immersing yourself in Lynch's delicious world.

..now why couldn't I have just wrote that? perfectly summed up, Dog! It could kind of apply to all of Lynch's work really. It can be kind of daunting though - I love to talk about it, but I know in the back of my mind that there aren't really any "correct" answers or theories......
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:28 am

tapehead wrote:I think in series two thay atarted playing with tv drama conventions alot - remember the soap you'd see on tv invarious scenes - what was it called?

Hahahaha - I love that Soap! It's Invitation to Love, with the cheesy voiceover, and the Laura/Maddie parallels with twin sisters Jade and Emerald. I love it when Leo gets shot, and you see his parallel character on ITL also being shot - fucking genius

Bizarre fact: if TP had got a third season, Lynch was considering having characters from Invitation to Love coming to the town of Twin Peaks for some reason! That would have been weird. I think he planned a third Laura lookalike too, with red hair.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:35 am

I had heard about the third lookalike.. Dont remember where though.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:37 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:You just have to watch, revel in and take away the extraordinary range of feelings and sensations the program emotes. Thats why these box sets are great - you can watch massive chunks at a time, basically immersing yourself in Lynch's delicious world.

..now why couldn't I have just wrote that? perfectly summed up, Dog! It could kind of apply to all of Lynch's work really. It can be kind of daunting though - I love to talk about it, but I know in the back of my mind that there aren't really any "correct" answers or theories......

I find it hard to talk about any of his work, There's so much intangible content that I tend to take it at face value. By that, I don't mean I don't think about what I have just watched - I just stick with the gut feeling and memories from watching a Lynch piece.

Oh, I meant early 90's zeitgeist......lol.
Last edited by doglips on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby mistertim on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:37 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I suppose the point is that BOTH interpretations are true. Allegories are supposed to be both literal AND metaphorical I think (although it's been many a year since I studied that kind of thing...), so I guess "allegory" is the best way to describe the story!

Exactly.... there's no 'right' interpretation to anything, IMO.. everyone can and does take something different from it, and the beauty of Lynch is that there is such great scope for interpretation in his work.

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:In recognition of this great news, I'm changing my av for the rest of the week!

Christ, it's sending shivers down my spine even in tiny .gif format. I *cannot wait* for the boxset...
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:39 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
tapehead wrote:I think in series two thay atarted playing with tv drama conventions alot - remember the soap you'd see on tv invarious scenes - what was it called?

Hahahaha - I love that Soap! It's Invitation to Love, with the cheesy voiceover, and the Laura/Maddie parallels with twin sisters Jade and Emerald. I love it when Leo gets shot, and you see his parallel character on ITL also being shot - fucking genius

Bizarre fact: if TP had got a third season, Lynch was considering having characters from Invitation to Love coming to the town of Twin Peaks for some reason! That would have been weird. I think he planned a third Laura lookalike too, with red hair.

and possibly the most poorly spelled post I've ever made :oops:

If you look at the series with the kind of idea i've outlined in mind, there really aren't many inconsistencies - I get more out of it psychologically. I 'prolly just prefer it to the ghost story version anyways.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:46 am

tapehead wrote:If you look at the series with the kind of idea i've outlined in mind, there really aren't many inconsistencies - I get more out of it psychologically. I 'prolly just prefer it to the ghost story version anyways.

Yeah - I think that might be true of me too. But do you include Fire Walk With Me in that definition, because that one seems to give more weight to the supernatural stuff....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:49 am

...need to watch it afresh - I've always thought that Lynch is pretty consistent with his world view, and that perspective has helped me to understand his other movies - or create my own understanding - but yeah, again, it has been some time.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:56 am

I totally agree mate - the Eastern mysticism comes up quite a lot, but not as prominently as it does in TP....

I think another thing to always bear in mind about TP is that it was a collaboration between Lynch and Mark Frost. I wouldn't want to overlook Frost's contribution - he was like the King of TV back in the late 80s because of Hill Street Blues
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:06 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I think another thing to always bear in mind about TP is that it was a collaboration between Lynch and Mark Frost. I wouldn't want to overlook Frost's contribution - he was like the King of TV back in the late 80s because of Hill Street Blues

He wrote AND directed the last ep of season 1 and it is one of my favourites. When I first watched it I was completely shocked at what happended to Cooper. I was the first one in the Uni library the next day signing out season 2 on VHS
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:08 am

Season 1 finale is a frakking masterpiece - I love the contrast between that and the first ep of Season 2, which is very slow in a typically Lynchy kind of way - still awesome, but for different reasons....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:13 am

I watched them in close succession and the transition between them is so strange, so different. Going from that busy last ep of Frosts then waking up with Cooper in a Lynch ep, almost felt that I had been shot and was coming out of unconciousness.
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:31 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:
mistertim wrote:Worth coming out of lurking exile for.. I've been waiting for this for years... fantastic news!

Exactly!

Nor does it explain Onr armed Mikes interactions with Bob

or ANYONE's ability to see & describe "Bob" in the series.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm

BUMP!

out on Tuesday.

who's buying, who's watching...and where the fuck has Titty-G been?!?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mr. Nice Gaius on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. It's hard to believe that this series was on in the early 90's. (Has it been that long ago???) It was so groundbreaking for its time.

I happen to think that "Twin Peaks" contained some of the most disturbing images on TV (and film). How some of it was ever allowed on the air, I'll never know. But I'm glad it made it on!

For the record: Cooper's Dream from Season 1, the scene when Ronnette Pulaski awakens from her coma, and the 20 minute descent into the Black Lodge at the very end are some of the most unsettling and frightening images I've even seen. Not to mention the fact that the sound design on those scenes is second to none. Lynch really knows how to get to you on a subconcious level which makes the horror much more disturbing. Even now it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

I'm also of the opinion that "Fire Walk With Me" is one of the finest horror films ever made.
Mr. Nice Gaius
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:56 pm

“You listen to me! While I will admit to a certain cynicism the fact is that I’m a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I’ll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King. My concerns are global.
I reject, absolutely, revenge, aggression and retaliation.
The foundation of such a method…is love.
I love you Sheriff Truman.â€
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:00 pm

Indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed going back over these. Seeing new things, etc, even to the extent that I got the insignia on the ring in "Fire Walk with Me", which I never got before. I also got an insane madmans pleasure from seeing the GF come to terms with that twisted ending too. :twisted:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:20 pm

before I go into the most fucked up, scariest murder on tv EVAR!, gotta mention this sequence from the Lynch directed ep. 14, "Lonely Souls"...

the tracking shot in the Palmer household, set to a live rendition of "It's a Wonderful World"...just amazing. By positioning Sarah all the way on the left of the couch, with Maddy sandwiched between her and Leland and that open space to Leland's left, empty to imply either BOB or the presence of Laura? Genius! And as the camera continues to track, the triangular opening of the record player acts like a set of jaws, swallowing up Maddy and Leland.

the show is far from perfect, too purposefully qweird (seriously, I know it's intentional, but does every single scene have to go on for uncomfortably too long?), filled with (again, purposefully) stereotypical characters (who, to be fair, tend to get either humanized and/or blow holes in the notion of stereotypes), but it's worth watching alone for the scene above.

and then, of course, for the harrowing turn of Leland and the murder of Maddy. Watching Leland switch over in the mirror, and the look of pure feral glee he gives to Maddy before running, arms out at her...damn! Loved how Lynch shot it to, switching from "real" of Leland to the theatricality of having a spotlight shine on BOB, and then coming back to the more "realistic" shot of Leland punching Laura...

just wow. I don't even know which of the two is more disturbing.

poor gf still ain't sleeping well after that...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:16 am

Alright. So I entered this thread and quickly hit "post reply" so I didn't read any spoilers. I looked for an official TWIN PEAKS thread but couldn't find one so I will post my stuff here.

I just finished watching Season 1 for the first time ever and I just started Season 2...having just finished the first episode.

This show was NOTHING like I expected. I was blown away by just how...soap opera-esque it all is. I totally dug it, but it took me by surprise. The first episode of the second season was awesome. I can't wait to watch more.

I'd like to discuss TWIN PEAKS some more but I want to avoid spoilers so I guess I'll come back when I am done watching the whole thing.

PS: Love the fucking theme song. Can't get enough of it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:26 am

halfway thru the Second Season, and one thing I gotta point out is that any town where Jack "Eraserhead" Nance is far and away the most "normal" resident is one screwy place.

I don't know if it was the "shakes", an actorly affectation or some kinda medical condition, but his turn as Pete is full of twitches, blinks, winks and spasmodic facial contortions which, in terms of character, can be attributed to his yearly interactions with the rest of those loonies,

good performance in a series full of them.*

Ray Wise is spellbinding, particularly after BOB takes control of him. There are certain scenes where he runs the gamut of emotions, scenes shot in one take mind you, that you can't look away from, no matter how much you may want to. Also, pay attention to the slithery, lizard like jutting out of the tongue of Ben Horne (Richard Beymer)...ditto his compulsive need to clean the prison bars. Speaking of Ben and the great David Patrick Kelly as his brother Jerry, how about that out-of-fucking-nowhere flashback to their happy childhoods, both the home movies that play over the credits of one ep and the back lit, silhouetted sexy dance of their cousin?

and how much fun is it to root against James? Look, I know all sorts of horrible stuff happens around him, but am I alone in my mirth at his plight? Conversely, Bobby, who started the series as a near stereotypical Flash Thompson bully, earns major points with his faithful, devoted puppy love of Shelly and his just overall goofball charm. Seriously, fuck James. When informed of Maddy's death, in what's implied to be the very night after him and Donna bang a gong, what does he do...he leaves town! And before that, with the singing...I'm beginning to suspect we're supposed to be laughing at him.

He was EMO before there was EMO!

GAAAAH!!!**

Quote that pretty much sums up the show, in context.

After Leland's powerful death scene, Coop, Truman, Albert and Scully's Dad are waxing philosophic about what just went down. Coop, in response to Harry's incredulous "this is way off the map, I'm having a hard time believing...
"Harry, is it easier to believe a man would rape and murder his own daughter? Anymore comforting?"

only one real clunker of the first half so far, and that one even kinda gets a pass due to it coming after the death of Leland. I'm not saying every episode is on par with the Lynch directed ones or the double whammy of the repercussions to Maddy's death and Leland/BOB's capture, but there is some good stuff in each, and I can't, as of yet, fathom all the critical loathing and mass exit of viewers that blighted the second season.

*and as a shoutout to Doc Holliday...IMDB states that "Up to the last moment, he was considered for the lead in The Graduate (1967), the part that went to Dustin Hoffman."

**and I'm talking Lecko-level loathing of fast talking, sass mouth women here. At least with James I can hoot and holler and heap scorn upon him and not feel to bad about it, 'cuz, face it, there hasn't been a bigger putz on TV, like ever. Fucking Horshack, Urkel and Screech combined don't even come close to sniffing James' panties...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:32 am

Gotta give a shout out to Eric DaRe as Leo. His character in the first series was a simple one dimensional suspect, and his acting as a result was poor. Here he kicks all kinds of ass and shows his diversity in a much better way. Heh, I wonder if Lynch orchestrated this turn of events purely to emphasise this cabbage of an actor turned good.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:45 am

magicmonkey wrote:Gotta give a shout out to Eric DaRe as Leo. His character in the first series was a simple one dimensional suspect, and his acting as a result was poor. Here he kicks all kinds of ass and shows his diversity in a much better way. Heh, I wonder if Lynch orchestrated this turn of events purely to emphasise this cabbage of an actor turned good.

well, since it isn't cool to make fun of "the people who can do everything", I've been running with this theory that "coma" Leo = "a person who can do everything", except we can laugh at him and not feel too terrible about it.

'cuz he's bad.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 pm

About halfway through season 2 and HOLY HELL...David Duchovny? Really? Talk about a surprise.

The second season really has vexed me so far. Not sure what to make of it really. All I know is that i just can't stop watching. The whole Nadine story line is just plain goofy...and I mean goofier than the rest of the show.

Its the home strecth. Lets see how this show ends.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:41 am

Leckomaniac wrote:About halfway through season 2 and HOLY HELL...David Duchovny? Really? Talk about a surprise.

it may be one of those looking back on it now dealios, 'cuz I don't know what either the critics or the dwindling fanbase thought at the time, but his presence and the way he played that character helped those episodes standout.

I dunno if you know this about Agent Mulder Leggo, but he used to appear in these sleazily sorta sexy soft-core flicks called "Red Shoe Diaries", his turns on "The Larry Sanders Show" involved him pretty darn flagrantly flirting openly with Shandling, which got a bit of a meta joke crossover when Shandling guested on The X-Files and got all hot 'n bothered for Mulder. Hell, if you notice the Simpson ep he and Scully did, when he reveals his badge it's him in nothing but a thong, lying on his side with his arm propping up his head, gazing contentedly at the camera...and of course, Mulder had a bit of a penchant for porn and a hint of deviancy to him.

Great stuff, but...

Leckomaniac wrote:The second season really has vexed me so far. Not sure what to make of it really. All I know is that i just can't stop watching. The whole Nadine story line is just plain goofy...and I mean goofier than the rest of the show.

yeah, the loss of Leland really hurt the show. I don't want to say directionless, or rambling, but some of the storylines that have been pushed just don't measure up. Nadine never worked, ever, just more of a plot device to keep Ed and Norma separated...not once has her character ever been made sympathetic, 'cept in brief flashback dialogs, and putting her in high school is just pathetic.

James, somehow, becomes even more pathetic and I'm not even enjoying laughing at his overwrought, classic film noir melodramatics.

and I'm still torn, all these fucking years later, about Windom. I don't know if it's the writing, the performance, the comedown after the dynamic evil of Leland/BOB or what, but I still can't make up my mind about him.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 am

I think the Windom/Moriarty element is great, it really brings out the duality of Coopers position and job. To me, he's a scary foe, especially with the foreknowledge of developments.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:36 am

My Region 1 copy arrived from Amazon a few days ago - THIS IS JUST MORE SHIT I GOTTA DO NOW!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:41 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:My Region 1 copy arrived from Amazon a few days ago - THIS IS JUST MORE SHIT I GOTTA DO NOW!

Fucking love that quote, and the way he is almost crying when he delivers the line - Harry Dean Stanton, you fucking rule. "Hot water Karl! Hot Water!'

/"You boys wanna cup-a good morning America?"
//'Chalfont's, weirdest thing..."
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:46 am

You've gotta love the HDS! I saw a pic of him standing next to Justin Timberlake at some premiere a few days ago - it just looked wrong. Don't tell me the poor bastard is in JT's new movie?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:51 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:**and I'm talking Lecko-level loathing of fast talking, sass mouth women here. At least with James I can hoot and holler and heap scorn upon him and not feel to bad about it, 'cuz, face it, there hasn't been a bigger putz on TV, like ever. Fucking Horshack, Urkel and Screech combined don't even come close to sniffing James' panties...

Its like it haunts me wherever I go. :lol:

So...I just finished watching all of TWIN PEAKS the TV show for the very first time. I have yet to see the movie "Fire Walk With Me" but that is up next.

My thoughts?

Boy howdy did I enjoy myself. Now, I must say that I knew very little going into this experience. However, armed with the little knowledge i had I can still say that the show turned out to be very different than what I expected. I basically knew that the show centered around the death of a popular girl in a small town and that it had a lot of surrealist elements to it. I was definitely not expecting a lot of the supernatural things that came to pass. This isn't a complaint at all just an observation from a first time viewer.

The pilot episode simply blew me away. After watching that I was instantly hooked and pretty much decided right then and there that I would see this thing through to the bitter end.

I can't really express how much I loved the character of Agent Cooper. He is most definitely one of my favorite on screen characters now. The scene where he tells them about his dream of Tibet and throws the rocks had me smiling from ear to ear. Excellent stuff.

I am going to go ahead and echo KCBC's thoughts on James. He ended up being an entirely useless character by the end of the show. At first he was a bit interesting because he was the "mystery man" in Laura's life...but then he sang that song like a girl and he was never the same again. Am I alone in thinking his hair was weird looking? Like Nic Cage weird.

Audrey may very well be the cutest girl on the planet. I instantly wanted to travel back in time to 1990 and sweep that girl off her feet. Instead I just watched Season 6 of Gilmore Girls and realized she is still a mighty fine looking woman.

There was a point where I had to stop watching the show and I kind of sat around for a day or two asking myself "Do I really like this show?" There was all of this weird and goofy stuff going on...and like I said it wasn't what I had expected so I was a bit thrown. As I thought long and hard about whether I actually enjoyed the show or if I was just watching because I have always heard it was amazing and wanted so badly to love the show...I started noticing that Twin Peaks had invaded every part of my life. I found myself constantly talking about it, especially to those that had never seen it. I was dreaming about it and reciting lines from the show at random intervals. The show really did stick with me.

As I wrote above, the second season vexed me. I really did enjoy the Coop/Audrey relationship and would have liked to seen that explored a bit more. Of course the introduction of Anne was necessary for the last act to really work. The shift from Laura's murder mystery to the cat and mouse game with Earl was not flawless but it was ultimately satisfying. I found myself questioning a lot of the decisions made to get to that particular point, but in the end that point was worth getting to.

I can see why people spew venom at this show. It isn't easy to love. At the same time I can see why, for a small group of people, the show works. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I think the people that love the show tend to speak of it in a way that is grossly misleading to unknowing audiences. They speak as if watching the show will show you the face of god and that just isn't the case. It is a show that was goofy, surreal, often weird just for the sake of being weird, but it always had a heart. At times it lacked focus, but it never stalled for long.

I loved my Twin Peaks experience and somehow owning the whole series on DVD has become a mission of mine. It is a shame that this show hasn't been given the proper DVD treatment. $150 for 7 episodes? Ugh.

EDIT: I found this at the Twin Peaks wikipedia page:

When the killer's identity was finally revealed, many fans of the show felt let down and alienated by the infamous murder's resolution, especially with the show's previously hinted at ethereal and "weird" side coming fully to the forefront. Also around this time a major story line involving a romance between Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) and Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn) was vetoed by Kyle MacLachlan (some said with pressure from then-girlfriend and co-star Lara Flynn Boyle), as he felt his character, who was known for his strong morals, would never become involved with a high school student. Since no agreement could be reached, the writers unhappily had to take evasive action and bring minor subplots (which were never intended to dominate the show) into the foreground to cover the missing story.

That makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Just did some digging and found this little bit of info from digital bits:

we're told to expect CBS/Paramount to announce a Twin Peaks: The Complete Series box set for release later in 2007 that contains both seasons AND the pilot episode, PLUS lots of newly-produced extras. Watch for details on the box set to be announced in the next few months.

I REALLY hope that is the case. I want the complete series so bad it hurts. Come on...SOMEBODY give this to us!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:18 am

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:32 am

hmmm...definitive gold box...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:42 am

I'm so getting this set.

Once a few of us have it we should select a night of the week when we all watch a particular episode, in order, and then discuss it for a week a'la Lost and BSG threads. That way we get new takes from those who have not seen it and retakes from us oldies who watched it first time around and betamaxed it.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:53 am

Yeah - I don't think I'm gonna need this one anymore. Current rumours suggest that it has only the same Bonus Features as the first and second seasons had, collectively. Since I live in lovely PAL territory, I already have the pilot on DVD. The only reason I potentially had for buying this is that there was talk of adding a shitload of deleted scenes to the Complete TP boxset. Lynch offered to put the scenes on if he could remaster them. Paramount balked at the remastering costs and refused. Cue a million whining emo TP fans who feel that Lynch has cheated them somehow. I mean, I can be an emo Peakie with the best of 'em, but some of those fans are unbelievable - they put Browncoats to shame, I can tell you.

There ARE a couple of whispers that there might be some extra interview footage on the set - which would kind of make sense, as there are a couple of interviews on You Tube which were clearly filmed at the same time as the interviews on the Season 2 boxset, and I haven't seen them on any DVDs yet - but I'm not even sure if that would be enough to make me buy the entire series AGAIN, after importing the Season 2 set from the US.

Another reason for me to avoid this: the box art is unforgivably bad - what place to does the colour gold have in TP aesthetics? They've messed EVERYTHING up - from the logo to the Red Room floor design.

See? Told you I have unlimited stocks of emo when it comes to discussing Twin Peaks.....

That way we get new takes from those who have not seen it and retakes from us oldies who watched it first time around and betamaxed it.

You know, it's funny - despite now owning digital versions of every episode, I simply cannot bring myself to throw away my original videos of the show which I taped off the TV. One of them even has a felt tip drawing of the two mountains on it (give me a break - I was barely 13 :oops:)

ETA - excellent idea about us all re-watching the show, Dog! I am so up for that, if we can get a few people involved! I've almost finished watching my import S2 boxset - I was gonna post some thoughts here anyway, at some point. On the whole, I think it's stood the test of time amazingly well....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:18 am

I watched the show when it originally aired (that and the simpsons was about all I watched the year I finished highschool) my vhs copies mysteriously 'vanished' while I was overseas...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 am

tapehead wrote:I watched the show when it originally aired (that and the simpsons was about all I watched the year I finished highschool) my vhs copies mysteriously 'vanished' while I was overseas...

I am willing to help you track down the culprits - they need to learn the meaning of the word "pain"
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:23 am

more important to get all the eps in one set soon - I have found a video store with the first series on dvd and will be re-watching soon.

I lost a few gems whilst abroad - my little brother has them, I'm sure of it.

and this one - it's 'Definitive'... and it's 'GOLD'
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Next

Return to Coaxial