Twin Peaks: Now on Showtime!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Some news about David Lynch directing extras for the DVDs here
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
tapehead wrote:I watched the show when it originally aired (that and the simpsons was about all I watched the year I finished highschool) my vhs copies mysteriously 'vanished' while I was overseas...

I am willing to help you track down the culprits - they need to learn the meaning of the word "pain"

Even if they're not willing to learn, they SHALL be taught.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:25 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:Some news about David Lynch directing extras for the DVDs here

Now if only we can get FWWM deleted scenes!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 pm

I'm confused and don't have time to check... are there two sets, one for Season 1 and one for Season 2? Or is one of them incomplete, or... ? I'm just all kinds of confused, it sounded from what I was reading as if they only have a few episodes. I also don't get the comment earlier about $150 for 7 episodes, what's that all about?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Fawst wrote:I'm confused and don't have time to check... are there two sets, one for Season 1 and one for Season 2? Or is one of them incomplete, or... ? I'm just all kinds of confused, it sounded from what I was reading as if they only have a few episodes. I also don't get the comment earlier about $150 for 7 episodes, what's that all about?

The first season is oop and doesnt include pilot. I think its going for 150 on ebay. The second seaosn finally out recently doensnt include pilot either.

They are makeing one big set that includes pilot through ending

/me believes
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:29 pm

The Vicar wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
tapehead wrote:I watched the show when it originally aired (that and the simpsons was about all I watched the year I finished highschool) my vhs copies mysteriously 'vanished' while I was overseas...

I am willing to help you track down the culprits - they need to learn the meaning of the word "pain"

We will make them understand the deeper meaning of the words, "How's Annie?!!"
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:45 pm

DennisMM wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:

Please don't, just thinking of that scene still creeps me out :shock: :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:16 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:

Those words are the blackhole/time paradox of all melodrama :lol:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:54 pm

I can't WAIT to get my hands on Twin Peaks: The Complete Series. However, now I feel all stupid for buying Season 2.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:48 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:

Those words are the blackhole/time paradox of all melodrama :lol:

You people got something against black teeth? :lol:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted this but I just saw it on Amazon:

Twink Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition.

October 30th? That seems really soon! I can't wait!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this but I just saw it on Amazon:

Twink Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition.

October 30th? That seems really soon! I can't wait!

Yup, I'll be picking this up...I've missed news of this until now, but IMDB is pimping the hell out of it on the front page of the site.

Gold Box Edition Official Site

All 29 remastered eps, plus the original pilot, deleted scenes, a full-length doc, some Lynch wackiness. Alas there is no mention (that I saw) of a Lynch commentary with the original pilot, which would have been kinda cool but probably totally incomprehensible.

I'm excited to check this out, comes out tomorrow.

EDIT: Harry's short blurb from the main page:

Believe it or not…. I’ve never watched an episode… and I’ve never watched FIRE WALK WITH ME. However, I’m hoping to make this be an nightly edition to my schedule. Watching one episode at a time before bed. I’ve been waiting to just get it all on DVD and to start at the beginning. I’ve seen scenes out of context and read so much. But when it played, I just wasn’t there – I believe it was the night I was doing Poetry Readings at this real cool book store down from the Tavern.

The set is loaded though. 10 Discs, postcards and hours of new stuff – plus the complete original pilot and 4 new documentaries. If you’re peaked about PEAKS – how could you not get this?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:33 pm

I have the season 1 oop set, the season 2 set, and the 0 regioned pilot and I still need this definitive one!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:53 pm

Luckily I've held off from buying any Twin Peaks except for FIRE WALK WITH ME.... which wasted some money with no deleted scenes, etc.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:34 am

Still no news on a UK release date for the gold box...

But Australian DVD sellers EzyDVD have R4 version, that usually play on R2. for the princely sum of £35 including postage to the UK!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:42 am

i've just started watching this show on DVD through blockbuster. man is this show weird. i've only seen a few episodes so far, just finished the one where the backwards-talking dwarf shows up.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:05 pm

I got my gold boxed set last month and I introduced my girlfriend to the show from scratch. I loved it, but I agree with Mark Frost's assessment - they needed to introduce the WINDOM EARLE stoyline much earlier in Season 2 to establish the threat and get people to look beyond Laura Palmer.

The 2nd season does meander quite a bit, but they do bring it back home when David Lynch came back to roost. The 2nd season/series finale is one of the greatest hours of television because Lynch pulled off so much of his own thing and no one could stop him.

Supposedly, there is a 2 DVD set coming out of the feature FIRE WALK WITH ME that includes new scenes added proper, plus additional deleted scenes seperate - especially segments that wrap up the storylines of the series a bit better. This is according to a french DVD website and considered full tilt rumor as added to WIKIPEDIA...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:20 pm

sonnyboo wrote:Supposedly, there is a 2 DVD set coming out of the feature FIRE WALK WITH ME that includes new scenes added proper, plus additional gaffneyed scenes seperate - especially segments that wrap up the storylines of the series a bit better. This is according to a french DVD website and considered full tilt rumor as added to WIKIPEDIA...

That ruymor has beena round forever but I am still hopeful it will happen at some time. I watched Fire Walk With Me this past weekend as my friend had just finished watching the series anbd wanted to watch the movie as she had never seen it before. It has been a couple years since I have watched the series in full so, but watching the movie is making me want to revisit it shortly.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 pm

No time to writ enow: but before I go: TWIN PEAKS RULES YA'LL! FIRE WALKW ITH ME ROCKS MY SOCKS! MMM HMMMM!!!!!!!!!! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:22 pm

I wish this restaurant was more like this movie...

I'd be scared to go but it would be a cool theme...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: Twin Peaks Season 2! (Spoilers)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 am

i finally finished watching the gold box edition. i've got FWWM on the way to watch soon.

i've never been a big lynch fan, but i've heard so many good things about this show, i figured i'd give it a go. overall, i'm kind of mixed. it took me a while to get into the first season. maybe it's just my short attention span, but keeping track of all the characters and their various connections to each other, overt or hidden, was just exhausting. maybe if i'd watched an episode per week and had more time to digest each one, it would have been easier to sort things out in the beginning. instead, i just focused on the main characters and the main plot until the other pieces fell into place, and enjoyed it much more for that.

i'd heard the 2nd season was spotty, and for most of the time i didn't know what was wrong with those people. a lot of my favorite stuff comes from the 1st half of season 2. then i got to the 2nd half, after leland's death, and realized what they were talking about. the 2nd half is really rough, especially right after leland's death and before the windom earl story ramps up. season 2 is also full of ALF subplots that are too silly or goofy or just go nowhere. the subplot with nadine getting amnesia and developing superhuman powers was just stupid. the one with james and the chick whose car he fixes and gets involved in a murder plot or whatever, was completely pointless and dull. but the worst was the love/pregnancy triangle between lucy, andy and the Dumbledore clothes salesman. lucy and andy really only work in small doses for me... with that much screen time, they just become irritating. and the Dumbledore clothes guy is irritating in even small doses, and shouldn't have been in the show at all. and then there's the stuff with catherine martell pretending to be a chinese dude, billy zane, ben horne thinking he's a civil war general, etc etc. just so much silliness, and very little of it works (i did enjoy tranny david duchovny though). i think that's the big flaw of season 2, trying to bring some of the background characters to the forefront, when they really should've just focused on the main characters and left the colorful support characters in the background where they worked better. but i guess being forced to solve laura's murder and nixing the cooper/audrey romance left them with little choice. i think the show gets a lot better again once windom earl is introduced, and i would've really liked to see how the played out the consequences of the season 2 finale.

i may rewatch it at some point, at least up to the 2nd half and leland's death, i think it will be even better on a 2nd viewing, knowing exactly how these characters are all interconnected now. i don't see any need to rewatch past the 2nd half of season 2 though. the best stuff for me is all in the 1st season and 1st half of season 2. agent cooper is an awesome character. madchen amick is probably one of the most beautiful women to ever step foot on the planet. miguel ferrer and lynch's cameos are awesome. and ray wise is a god as leland. hell, i even enjoyed the bizarro scene of james and maddie and lara flynn boyle singing that song.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 am

Bax, out of curiosity: did it seem 'dated'? Like in a "ohman, that's so '90s" kinda way?

I was an avid watching of Twin Peaks when it aired live, but I've never bothered to track down the DVDs...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:03 pm

so sorry wrote:Bax, out of curiosity: did it seem 'dated'? Like in a "ohman, that's so '90s" kinda way?

I was an avid watching of Twin Peaks when it aired live, but I've never bothered to track down the DVDs...

I was recently watching the episodes again and I didnt think it seemed dated. Twin Peaks always had an other-wroldly quality to that and the 90s pastiche only added to it for me. It's still a 90s soap through and through, though.

Bax: When I watch it I normally skip the mid part of season 2 and go straight to the Windham Earle stuff.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 pm

i agree, it doesn't seem dated, it seems to exist in a world of its own.

regarding the soap opera aspect: that's probably what i liked least about it, in particular in season 2 (the pregnancy, love triangle bit especially). TP seemed to usually take those soap-style themes and turn them on their ear... but there was one episode in particular, i can't remember which one, but in that midpoint of season 2 where the writing and direction of that particular episode was just way out of whack quality-wise with the rest of the series, the tone was so soap-opera-ish and melodramatic that it really threw me. it only lasted that one episode though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:20 am

I thought the ladies hair styles were quite 90's, but other than that it retained all of its charm and flavour. It's so idiosyncratic that it is indeed in a time and place of its own. It also provided me with a teensy little bit of insight into that ring that Chris Isaak found in the movie, that I hadn't remembered before.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:there was one episode in particular, i can't remember which one, but in that midpoint of season 2 where the writing and direction of that particular episode was just way out of whack quality-wise with the rest of the series, the tone was so soap-opera-ish and melodramatic that it really threw me. it only lasted that one episode though.

Was it the JAMES film noir married woman episodes? Those seemed to delve into the exact kinda crap they MOCKED with their soap within the show INVITATION TO LOVE with my personal Jesus - CHET!
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:there was one episode in particular, i can't remember which one, but in that midpoint of season 2 where the writing and direction of that particular episode was just way out of whack quality-wise with the rest of the series, the tone was so soap-opera-ish and melodramatic that it really threw me. it only lasted that one episode though.

Was it the JAMES film noir married woman episodes? Those seemed to delve into the exact kinda crap they MOCKED with their soap within the show INVITATION TO LOVE with my personal Jesus - CHET!

i'm pretty sure it was one of them, it was around that time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Alright, so I got the gold box DVD set for Christmas and just finished the last episode on the weekend. I have FWWM but haven't watched it yet.

I guess I take the whole show as Lynch's statement about smalltown life and how it just can't last. I felt like the end was Twin Peaks going to hell. Everybody dies, Cooper is possessed by Bob, mayhem, destruction, etc. the town is finished.

Bob is that inexplicable evil in men, and it seems that Twin Peaks is a town of such tightly wound treachery that it summons him to destroy it. Nobody could explain where all the lies, and cruelty, and treachery in Twin Peaks ever really started, like Bob, it just seemed like it had always been there and it was just brought to a head.

I'll agree with some of the criticisms of the second season kinda wandering a bit, but this is still my favorite television series ever.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm

laura palmer's house is for sale

backwards-speaking dwarves not included.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:38 pm

spooky, I was looking for this thread yesterday. Heres a cool article on the cast and crew looking back at the show. Link
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

These are apparently pointing up around the country at the moment:
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:These are apparently pointing up around the country at the moment:

!!!!!!!!!!!

That is SERIOUSLY awesome!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Seconded. Or thirded. Whatever - tres cool.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 pm

David Lynch and Mark Frost had the same tweet go out earlier today:

David Lynch @DAVID_LYNCH · 3h 3 hours ago

Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee

Mark Frost @mfrost11 · 3h 3 hours ago

Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style. #damngoodcoffee

:shock:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby minstrel on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:David Lynch and Mark Frost had the same tweet go out earlier today:

David Lynch @DAVID_LYNCH · 3h 3 hours ago

Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee

Mark Frost @mfrost11 · 3h 3 hours ago

Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style. #damngoodcoffee

:shock:

Jeez.

Damn good coffee! Plus superhuman strength and sexual maturity! :shock:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Ribbons on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Twin Peaks reboot?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:35 pm

backwards talking dancing midget or GTFO
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Twin Peaks: Now on Showtime!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Moving back to Coaxial!

Twin Peaks is back, now on Showtime for a limited 9 episode run. All episodes will be written by Lynch and Frost, with Lynch directing all 9 eps.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/twin-peaks-series-showtime-david-lynch-mark-frost-845804/

Get ready for some serious weirdness. The series will be set in present day, and rumor is that Kyle MacLachlan will be back. Will Cooper be evil, infested by Bob all of these years? Will he have somehow recovered? Will MacLachlan actually be playing Cooper's long-lost Bavarian twin brother who has come to Twin Peaks to search for his sibling and have the world's best cherry pie and coffee? It's Twin Peaks so anything is possible!

I honestly don't know what to expect with this, but kinda like the Star Wars prequels, the bar was set pretty low by what we last saw of this universe so really anything should be an improvement!

edit: youtube from Showtime:

Lord Voldemoo

Postby Al Shut on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm sure it'll be interesting enough to watch.

At 9 episodes it would have to be the worst show ever for me to quit before it's over.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:51 pm

well that was unexpected. i'd been planning on buying and rewatching the blu-ray set. guess i'll be doing that sooner rather than later.

The nine-episode series will go into production in 2015 for a premiere in 2016 to mark the 25th anniversary of when the series finished its run on ABC.

well, not TOO much sooner.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:53 pm

I love how that tiny teaser still used that shitty 90s graphics!

I wonder how much fans will have to remember from the initial run in order to follow the new episodes. Maybe Showtime will air the original series next year in antici

pation?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Leading to the 2016 debut of the Twin Peaks limited series, Showtime will re-air the first two seasons of the series, owned by parent CBS Corp.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Leading to the 2016 debut of the Twin Peaks limited series, Showtime will re-air the first two seasons of the series, owned by parent CBS Corp.

Dig it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 pm

It's not something that really needs to happen, but there are certainly worse things that could be in the works.

Although, 2014 David Lynch writing and directing new Twin Peaks...it's going to be virtually impossible to work out what's supposed to be going on.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:07 pm

I've never been much of a tv watcher, but this one of maybe two or three shows of which I've seen every episode. I was always happy to visit Twin Peaks and its inhabitants, and that theme music would just put me in the right dreamlike state to enjoy Lynch's world.

But like a lot of people, including David Lynch, I felt this series needed Laura Palmer's murder investigation to hold it all together. The network pushed him to wrap up that plotline prematurely. The series spun its tires for a few episodes before getting into the Windom Earle plotline, which although enjoyable, didn't have the same intrigue and felt a little forced. The show just didn't have the same intrigue and quickly came to an end. Lynch then returned to Palmer's murder for the pointless (and bad) movie.

I'd probably say this is another case of digging up a dead horse to beat it some more. Really, it's over. I'd much rather they empower Lynch to tackle something fresh.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 pm

FBI Agent Dale Cooper is officially heading back to Twin Peaks

so i bought the blu-ray set and have been rewatching it, only the final 2 episodes, deleted scenes, and FWWM left to go. reading my previous posts on the show, i'd have to say i liked it even better the 2nd time around (i think a lot has to do with being less confused and better able to keep track of all the characters, this time). the 2nd half of the 2nd season is still a let-down, but better than i remembered overall. some of those ep's were a real chore to get through the first time, but every episode has something worthwhile to keep me interested. some of the terrible plotlines from the S2 (james's involvement with the wife, ben's civil war amnesia) are just as bad as i remembered, others (the lucy/andy/dick 3-way, nadine) not quite as bad. the lynch-directed episodes are incredible, all the cameos and before-they-were-famous appearances (mulder! rollergirl!) a lot of fun, and madchen amick is STILL one of the most beautiful women ever filmed. overall, rewatching the series has me even more excited about the show coming back.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm

ok, rewatched the series finale last night, and this moment gave me goosebumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IpNxM ... page#t=196
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:ok, rewatched the series finale last night, and this moment gave me goosebumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IpNxM ... page#t=196

Planned or just happenstance?????
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:10 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:ok, rewatched the series finale last night, and this moment gave me goosebumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IpNxM ... page#t=196

Planned or just happenstance?????

it couldn't have been planned.... or could it?

if so, then:

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:13 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial