Bryan Fuller's "Pushing Daisies"

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Bryan Fuller's "Pushing Daisies"

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:21 am

Herc wrote about it here.

I'd love to see Fuller create a show that actually stays on the air and becomes successful.

The premise sounds like it has a bunch of potential.

I'm hoping for the best on all accounts.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 am

I've seen the pilot episode. It is quite wonderful, funny and quirky.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:19 am

Before both showings of Harry Potter 5 that I've seen, they had a commercial for this. I think it looks great, but I wish it were an HBO/Showtime series instead. It's the kind of thing that would lend itself well to that format. Hey, the brother from Wonderfalls is in it, good enough for me. He cracked me up.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:25 am

Yeah I recently saw a new spot for this as well. It looks so good. I am hope all turnsa out well and it will stay on the air.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby jason.cinema on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:35 am

The pilot episode's been leaked online, as have several other pilot episodes of upcoming fall series.

Also, ABC announced yesterday that the series will debut Wednesday, October 3rd at 8PM Eastern.

And now, excuse me while I geek out.

As a big fan of Bryan Fuller, I can't wait to watch Pushing Daisies. Of all the fall TV series, this one's been getting the loudest and best buzz from the critics. ABC's really enamored with it, planning a big promotional push. I was skeptical at first of that announcement but lo and behold Pushing Daisies co-star Kristen Chenoweth was on The View several days ago and promoted it; they even played a clip. Plus I've been seeing alot of TV spots for it on ABC.

My fingers and all of my other appendages are crossed that ABC markets the hell out of Pushing Daisies. If FOX had this, they'd mismarket the series, air it twice, maybe three times, the episodes would air out of order, they'd then cancel it and promise to stream the episodes on FOX.com before ultimately deciding not to.

In a recent news article the Pushing Daisies love seems shared between both ABC and Warner Brothers (the studio producing the series)...

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...clnk&cd=3&gl=us

But Pushing Daisies is an unabashed favorite at both its studio, Warner Brothers, and its network. Peter Roth, the president of Warner Brothers Television, said, "If a show of this quality works, it will renew my faith in the taste of the American audience."

Steven McPherson, the president of ABC Entertainment, said, "We have not had many shows generate enthusiasm as intense as this one. We're going to be pushing it in a big way."

The script for the series touched off a bidding war between NBC and ABC and Bryan Fuller chose ABC...

The script for Pushing Daisies struck nerves all over Hollywood, ultimately spawning a bidding war between ABC and NBC. ABC had some advantages. For one, coincidentally, ABC was looking for material reminiscent of the French film Amelie a story about a young woman's fantastic world. McPherson said that he loved that movie and that ABC hoped to find a show that could strike the same chords of "whimsy and spirit and magic."

I don't want to get all starry-eyed but it's refreshing to hear that type of sentiment from the suits, after years of my favorite TV series getting the FOX treatment.

In any case, I'm over the moon excited about Pushing Daisies and, like others here on the board have expressed, I hope that it's around for a long time.
jason.cinema
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jason.cinema on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:57 am

Can Bryan Fuller do no wrong? I'm beginning to think so.

His first high-profile work, the bitingly sarcastic Dead Like Me, was unlike anything before seen on TV. He followed that up by co-creating Wonderfalls, another brilliant series featuring a jaded, cynical protagonist with caustic wit. It, much like Dead Like Me, was not given the attention it deserved by its network and thus was cancelled.

Now after biding his time writing scripts and acting as a co-executive producer on NBC's Heroes last season, he's back. And Fuller's pen and wit are as sharp as ever.

When Ned, a piemaker and owner and operating of the restaurant The Pie Hole, was a child he discovered that he possessed a remarkable gift: he can restore life to the deceased. It is also at this time that Ned discovers the many travails his gift comes with: the revived dead can only remain so for a minute; otherwise someone in the vicinity must die. Also, said revived, once touched a second time, cannot be revived again.

Enter Chuck (Charlotte), Ned's childhood crush and first kiss. She was recently murdered. Chuck is soon revived and, with the help of a detective Ned has entered into a murder-solving partnership with (Chi McBride), the trio set out to solve Chuck's murder.

Although many other reviews and even ABC's own press material on the series have mentioned that Pushing Daisies evokes the feeling of such films as Amelie and Big Fish, I have to also agree. There's a gentle sweetness, a whimsical, benevolent current that flows through every frame of this, couched only in the bittersweet uncertainty of Chuck and Ned's pining for each other.

Swoosie Kurtz and Ellen Greene must be mentioned for their quirky yet utterly alive portrayals of Lily and Vivian, Chuck's two aunts. Fuller has fashioned them as ersatz versions of Edith Ewing Beale and Edith Beale, the aunt and first cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who were famously featured in the 1976 Maysles Brothers documentary Grey Gardens. Greene was terrific in the 1986 musical film version of Little Shop of Horrors, and here she takes the quirks and runs with them, as does her co-star Kurtz.

But it is the leads with which Pushing Daisies would live or die, and in that regard we have much cause for joy. Pace and Friel are these characters; they inhabit them so fully, so utterly that you feel for them and their plight immensely and immediately: two souls hungry for the closeness and commitment that only contact can provide.

For Fuller, this is a departure from what he's done before. It's got wit, a bit of snark, and a tinge of sadness, but it's all filtered through a prism of sunny dispositions, charm, and whimsy. It leaves the viewer with a smile and a warm feeling, but altogether wanting more. No doubt the same way one would feel after eating a slice of one of Ned's pies.
jason.cinema
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:37 am

jason.cinema wrote:Can Bryan Fuller do no wrong? I'm beginning to think so.

jason.cinema wrote:It leaves the viewer with a smile and a warm feeling, but altogether wanting more. No doubt the same way one would feel after eating a slice of one of Ned's pies.

Absolutely on both accounts. Pace and Friel are fantastic. McBride however left me a little cold. This, however, never detracted from my viewing enjoyment.
Last edited by stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby brabs on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 am

watched this the other night. loved it. seemed a bit trippy in parts but a good story and a great premise. and Anna Friel is gorgeous. will be watching with interest when this starts properly.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:57 pm

I can't believe I forgot to do a write up in this thread! So I saw the pilot at Comic-Con where the cast and the crew were on hand. The pilot was very solid. I loved the little romantic parts. Easily, the one new show I am looking forward to watching the most.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:38 am

According to some poll taken by Broadcast & Cable, "Pushing Daisies" got the lion's share of votes for the fall's best new drama:

63% Pushing Daisies (ABC)
15% Reaper (The CW)
12% Dirty Sexy Money (ABC)
5% Bionic Woman (NBC)
5% K-Ville (Fox)

I don't know how legit Broadcast & Cable is though. :?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:06 am

Ribbons wrote:According to some poll taken by Broadcast & Cable, "Pushing Daisies" got the lion's share of votes for the fall's best new drama:

63% Pushing Daisies (ABC)
15% Reaper (The CW)
12% Dirty Sexy Money (ABC)
5% Bionic Woman (NBC)
5% K-Ville (Fox)

I don't know how legit Broadcast & Cable is though. :?

It still bodes well for Fuller and Co.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 am

Molly Shannon joins the cast for a multiple episode arc.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DanielSan on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:46 am

So, when does this show start? I wanna make sure my DVR is set.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:49 am

DanielSan wrote:So, when does this show start? I wanna make sure my DVR is set.

Next wed. if I am not mistaken.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:59 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

Thank you, my good sir.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:51 am

Leckomaniac wrote:

Well, up here in Canada - it premiered last night around 10PM...

Which is good - cause there was nothing on - and I just so happened to notice it listed...

So I checked it out...

I fucking loved it...

I just thought that it was quite well done - sweet - funny - quirky - and interesting.

I'm not the world's hugest Barry Sonnenfeld fan - but I believe his directing style (Arguably, a poor, but slightly happier man's Tim Burton) fit quite well with the whole Universe of the show...

The two leads seemed to fit together perfectly - and you wouldn't think that the fact the two of them can't touch - would really be interesting on screen...

But they pulled it off...

Tough to say how long they can drag it out - but I can see them having some fun with the whole "murder investigation" parts of the show...

I fear, once again, that this is too unique and quirky to find an audience though...

It doesn't just spoon feed everything to the audience like all the CSI's and etc...

Couple of the best bits - the part with the dumpster was fucking classic...
And "Please don't attack the window treatments..." was a nice line...

Hope y'all enjoy it tonight...

Make sure you tune in!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fawst on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:59 am

Oh absolutely! Can't wait to see this tonight, I'm glad you chimed in :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:14 pm

I have already watched the pilot like 4x and will still be watching tonight!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:16 pm

Just saw it.

Absolutely loved it.
It's officially in my schedule.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 pm

I really enjoyed this show, original idea and nicely executed.

One slight complaint: Is it just me or did Pushing Daisies suffer from (to a lesser extent) Gilmore Girls disorder? Meaning, that there was an awful lot of rapid fire, passionless dialouge. Just something I noticed.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I thought the dialogue was okay. It actually reminded me of Aaron Sorkin's writing at times where there can be NO SILENCE between lines. But if flowed nicely for me.
My only complaint was the excessive amount of commercials. The Program Content to Commercial ratio was NOT nice. Not nice at all.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:35 am

The narrator pushes the tone past whimsical into silly. I think they need a new narrator (perhaps Ned) or none at all.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:52 am

DennisMM wrote:The narrator pushes the tone past whimsical into silly. I think they need a new narrator (perhaps Ned) or none at all.

Don't like the Harry Potter audio book guy huh?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DanielSan on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 am

DennisMM wrote:The narrator pushes the tone past whimsical into silly. I think they need a new narrator (perhaps Ned) or none at all.

Oh, I disagree! I think the fact that the narrator isn't anyone in the show works wonderfully. It gives the whole show a storybook feel. It reminded me a lot of Amelie (although in English).

Loved this show. Loved it! Of course, I'm afraid that it will fall on the ever-growing pile of shows I liked that audiences didn't watch. (Firefly, Brimstone, Wonderfalls, Drive, Nowhere Man.....)
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:05 am

You are insignificant compared to the power of Jim Dale.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:21 am

Eh this show was alright. I mean, compared to all the other new shows, this one blows them away. It's a pretty good premise. I'd be curious to see where it is headed. Nothing else comes on during that time anyway. Maybe they will use this show and Lost to take back Wednesday night and PWN everyone. The leads are definitely cast well though. No complaints, just gonna have to watch the next episode and see if I feel the same way.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 am

Pushing Daisies apparently won the timeslot and had a 9.2/14 rating share in the metered markets.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:50 am

Fried Gold wrote:

I suppose I'm immune to the creator's charming innocence; I thought Wonderfalls was a massive bore and, like Pushing Daisies, too silly for its own good. Both had interesting premises, but the execution wasn't right for my tastes.

Danielsan, I don't find storybooks charming, either, since I grew up. Again, just me.

I'd be more interested if Chuck didn't know touching Ned again would kill her.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:18 am

DennisMM wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

I suppose I'm immune to the creator's charming innocence; I thought Wonderfalls was a massive bore and, like Pushing Daisies, too silly for its own good. Both had interesting premises, but the execution wasn't right for my tastes.

Danielsan, I don't find storybooks charming, either, since I grew up. Again, just me.

I'd be more interested if Chuck didn't know touching Ned again would kill her.

I am just the opposite. I found Wonderfalls to be wonderfully charming and Daisies to be even more charming. I ate that stuff up like it was one of Neds pies.

Some people like sugary sweet stories...some dont. I can definitely understand that. I mean parts of Daisies most certainly crossed the line into "silly" territory...but i ESPECIALLY loved those. There is just so much angst, it seems, on television lately. I find Daisies to be refreshing.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:20 am

they should get Waylon Jennings to be the narrator... maybe sing a little ditty at the beginning too..

"just a good ole boy, never meanin' no harm, bringing people back to life one minute at a time since the day he was born"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 am

I will concede that the narrators voice was one of my only real complaints. I think it works best in moderation.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 am

TheBaxter wrote:

they should get Waylon Jennings to be the narrator... maybe sing a little ditty at the beginning too..

"just a good ole boy, never meanin' no harm, bringing people back to life one minute at a time since the day he was born"

Pushing Hazzard
...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:04 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Pushing Hazzard
...?

Pushing Daisy Duke

mmmm, i'd like to "push" daisy duke... if you know what i mean...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Vegeta on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:17 pm

Well, Waylon Jennings is my favorite narrator ever next to Morgan Freeman.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:50 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

I will concede that the narrators voice was one of my only real complaints. I think it works best in moderation.

Let's get Jon Lovitz to do it, in his "Tales of Ribaldry" voice.
DennisMM

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm

well, i just got around to watching the pie-lette. what an odd show. the tone is very... whimsical. i don't know if i'll be able to get it. and the lead guy reminds me of kevin spacey.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:and the lead guy reminds me of kevin spacey.

The lead guy reminds me of many people combined into one.
Very odd... not necessarily bad, but odd.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:37 am

i have a feeling this show is gonna have a huge drop off in viewership next week. the tone is just too odd, i think, to hold on to a mainstream audience.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:05 am

TheBaxter wrote:i have a feeling this show is gonna have a huge drop off in viewership next week. the tone is just too odd, i think, to hold on to a mainstream audience.

I hope they stay with it. If they don't it ABC did a good job about getting people to check it out in the first place so it's not their fault.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:29 am

I love it. It's like Twin Peaks directed by Tim Burton.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:38 am

overall ratings for last week:

1. CSI (CBS)
2. Dancing with the Stars - Mon (ABC)
3. Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
4. Sunday Night Football (NBC)
5. Desperate Housewives (ABC)
6. House (FOX)
7. NCIS (CBS)
8. Dancing with the Stars - Tues (ABC)
9. CSI: Miami (CBS)
10. Criminal Minds (CBS)
11. Without A Trace (CBS)
12. Survivor (CBS)
13. Two and a Half Men (CBS)
14. Pushing Daisies (ABC)
15. Cold Case (CBS)
16. CSI: NY (CBS)
17. Private Practice (ABC)
18. Heroes (NBC)
19. Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
20. Extreme Makeover (ABC)

So yeah Pushing Daisies did awesome.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:40 am

I was not aware that House did that well. I only recently started paying close attention to the ratings.

But good for Pushing Daisies. Lets just hope the quality and the audience do not flee the show.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:45 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I was not aware that House did that well. I only recently started paying close attention to the ratings.

But good for Pushing Daisies. Lets just hope the quality and the audience do not flee the show.

we'll find out after tonight about the ratings and quality.

Apparently there is a "how to direct a pushing daisies episode" guide so that all eps will be consistent.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote: I was not aware that House did that well. I only recently started paying close attention to the ratings.

we'll find out after tonight about the ratings and quality.

Apparently there is a "how to direct a pushing daisies episode" guide so that all eps will be consistent.

Yeah they talked about that at Comic-Con. They said there would be a consistent look to the show and that Sonnenfeld would direct 3 or 4 of the first 12 eps.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Just finished episode two...

I like Pushing Daisies, however it is almost absurdly quirky. It is starting to feel incredibly forced. I'll stick with it to see if it evens out, but does every character have to be incredibly odd, including the one off characters in the episodes (pie scarfing model, for instance)? I have a feeling I am going to tire quickly of the formula.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Conroy420 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:49 pm

I enjoyed the first episode but the second one just didn't catch my interest.

It seems to me to be very inspired by Tim Burton's works. Mostly in production design.

I dont know, I think this second episode was a misstep and hopefully there's more good stuff getting baked up right now.

The actors/characters are all very charming and enjoyable.

It seems that this show, like many other new shows this season (save for Dirty Sexy Money), has the same "problem solved per episode" storytelling that I really detest*.

Move away from this storytelling! If I stop watching it will only be because of this, and nothing really else.

*Don't get me wrong. I don't need every issue with every character serielized. I just don't think certain problems, if well crafted, have to be rushed to finished for a 40 minute runtime. Let things breath!
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:09 am

If the narrator continues to refer to Ned as The Piemaker so frequently, somebody's gonna get slapped.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:11 am

DennisMM wrote:If the narrator continues to refer to Ned as The Piemaker so frequently, somebody's gonna get slapped.

Will it be The Piemaker?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:37 am

The narrator needs to be toned down a bit. He was interjecting a little too much.

Also, the musical bit went on a bit too long this week.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:42 am

I felt differently! I thought it was way better then last weeks episode. It is absurdly quirky though. I mean, every little thing has that whimsical quality when it doesn't need to be. Still, I really enjoyed it. They cast some cute hotties, that's for sure.

I will stick with it since they are bound to take the feedback and fix the little bugs on the show. I think future episodes will have less narrator and stuff. Anyway, I thought it was an improvement.

This new season sure has been weak though eh? Nothing new is really good.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial