Bryan Fuller's "Pushing Daisies"

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:33 am

After last night's episode, my gf comments: "I'm getting tired of this show." I ask why. "It's the same thing every week!" I claim it's still good. "It is good. But they need a bigger arc or something. Every week the pie man can't touch people and feels bad about it. It's getting old." I just looked at her funny at that point.

So I'm wondering if her problem is with the major flaw (as in not a strength) inherent in Ned's character or the fact that it gets highlighted every episode (but how can you not highlight it)?

Anyhoo, I'm still enjoying the show. It's probably the best TV I'm watching right now.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:43 am

I think we are going to see Ned and Chuck's relationship start to diminish shortly. I think they will both get other "interests."
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:43 am

Welllll while it is the best new show of them all, I can't help but watch and say "Sophmore slump, here they come."
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:50 am

Pushing Daisies has had to deal with the "can it sustain a whole season" since it was announced. And I honestly do not know if it can. I love the show, but i just feel like it is moving laterally and not forward. The Chuck/Ned relationship has hit an absolute stall.

I think there needs to be a BIG shake up of the status quo. For instance, what if someone else appeared on the scene capable of doing magic? What if he was using the magic to do evil things. What if Ned had his gift temporarily removed and was able to touch Chuck...only to be given it back again. How badly would that mess with their relationship?

I just think that this show has yet to fully embrace the "fairy tale" aspect of the whole thing. Where are the evil witches and all of that?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:02 am

my primary interest in the show right now is kristin chenoweth. she reminds me of a cuter amy sedaris.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:46 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Pushing Daisies has had to deal with the "can it sustain a whole season" since it was announced. And I honestly do not know if it can. I love the show, but i just feel like it is moving laterally and not forward. The Chuck/Ned relationship has hit an absolute stall.

I think there needs to be a BIG shake up of the status quo. For instance, what if someone else appeared on the scene capable of doing magic? What if he was using the magic to do evil things. What if Ned had his gift temporarily removed and was able to touch Chuck...only to be given it back again. How badly would that mess with their relationship?

I just think that this show has yet to fully embrace the "fairy tale" aspect of the whole thing. Where are the evil witches and all of that?

That big shake-up may happen ep 9 in the "season finale?"
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Pushing Daisies has had to deal with the "can it sustain a whole season" since it was announced. And I honestly do not know if it can. I love the show, but i just feel like it is moving laterally and not forward. The Chuck/Ned relationship has hit an absolute stall.

That big shake-up may happen ep 9 in the "season finale?"

Lets hope. And lets hope that Daisies isnt one of the shows forgotten because of the strike.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:56 am

Ya'll are nuts. This show is just starting to hit its stride. They opened up a whole new bucket of worms last night with the whole 'what if it's okay to have two partners?' scenario. If they didn't let Olive anywhere near Ned, and incessantly focused on his relationship with Chuck, then I'd agree that it would be getting stagnant real quick. Not the case, though. This show's smarter than that.

Funny you should mention Amy Sedaris. I've thought since the first episode that she needs to be cast as Olive's sister somewhere down the line. Can't WAIT to see Paul Rubens show up next week, either.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Hit it's stride? Come on! It hasn't done much. It's brought up interesting ideas but I never feel like if I have to see the next episode. I choose to see the next episode because nothing else is on. Eventually people might forget about it...

And yea, I kept thinking Amy Sedaris too. Wierd. She's my favorite character.

EDIT: Well, it is a cliche with the love triangle thing too. I could have told you that from the start.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:03 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Hit it's stride? Come on! It hasn't done much. It's brought up interesting ideas but I never feel like if I have to see the next episode. I choose to see the next episode because nothing else is on. Eventually people might forget about it...

I think Emmerson is the funniest person on the show.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Haven't seen this show since the prison escape chopper flies into building episode. Somehow I don't seem to miss it while I do think it's a good show.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:30 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Hit it's stride? Come on! It hasn't done much. It's brought up interesting ideas but I never feel like if I have to see the next episode. I choose to see the next episode because nothing else is on. Eventually people might forget about it...

EDIT: Well, it is a cliche with the love triangle thing too. I could have told you that from the start.

Sounds to me like you just don't like it. Which is fine.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:07 am

Zarles wrote:

Sounds to me like you just don't like it. Which is fine.

Dude I REALLY like this show and I would't say it "hit its stride" at all. Like, not even in the same neighborhood. Its a great show that has hit a rut. But that is quite common for freshman shows in their first handful of episodes. Hopefully, whenever we get the back 9 or the next batch of episodes the show will start to come into its own.

But the whole "hitting its stride" is flat out wrong, IMHO.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Selecter on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:58 am

PD may be too much of a procedural to some, but this is one of the few procedurals I'm happy to watch.

You never know when the next bit of inspired dialog will hit, and even when it doesn't, there is probably some interesting scenery to chew over. And the way it can put a sweet spin on things like murder, greed, deception, and other sins is great.

With PD, I can't say I've ever been flat out bored, glancing at the clock, or wishing that a scene would just end, unlike, say, a little show about people with special abilities on another network that is only "on" when addressing the grandiose arc, but decidedly "off" when it isn't.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 am

The Selecter wrote:PD may be too much of a procedural to some, but this is one of the few procedurals I'm happy to watch.

You never know when the next bit of inspired dialog will hit, and even when it doesn't, there is probably some interesting scenery to chew over.

With PD, I can't say I've ever been flat out bored, glancing at the clock, or wishing that a scene would just end, unlike, say, a little show about people with special abilities on another network that is only "on" when addressing the grandiose arc, but decidedly "off" when it isn't.

And the way it can put a sweet spin on things like murder, greed, deception, and other sins is great.

Well my problem with that is, there is so much potential there to make this MUCH more than just a "procedural". The dialogue is great and the performances are wondorous. However, there is a bit of a stall going on at the moment. Ned and Chuck haven't grown at all. There relationshiop isn't progressing at all.

Again, I think they know this. I said earlier, this is a problem that is common with freshman shows in their first round of episodes. So I am not worried.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Yea I must come off as overly negative. I like this show a lot, that's why I even bothered to post about it. But it's not moving anywhere. It feels like it should be doing more. The potential for it is rediculous.

I know it's rare for a show to make it through a season without slipping. Lost is the one exception IMO. But still, how long is it going to take to tap into that potential? Better be soon before Mr. and Mrs. general viewing public forgets it comes on Wednesdays. Add to that the writers strike....geeze.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:36 am

i can't stop staring at kristin chenoweth's boobs. especially when she's bouncing around in a mermaid outfit.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:34 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i can't stop staring at kristin chenoweth's boobs. especially when she's bouncing around in a mermaid outfit.

Was it bad of me to rewind that scene twice just to see her boobs bounce over and over again?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:53 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i can't stop staring at kristin chenoweth's boobs. especially when she's bouncing around in a mermaid outfit.

Was it bad of me to rewind that scene twice just to see her boobs bounce over and over again?

I'm definitely going to be googling that one. :)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3729/kristenchenowethpushingyl6.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2886/kristenchenowethpushinggm7.jpg

Did I find the right pic?
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Yep!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:51 pm

RogueScribner wrote:

that definitely needs to be made into an animated gif. bouncey bouncey bouncey!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:28 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

that definitely needs to be made into an animated gif. bouncey bouncey bouncey!!!

I'm sure that it has been... but I didn't know if I should go that far!
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:27 pm

junesquad wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

I'm sure that it has been... but I didn't know if I should go that far!

It's what is expected!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby junesquad on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Didn't find an animated .gif, but I did find this:

Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:54 pm

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3729/kristenchenowethpushingyl6.jpg

Now there's a pr0n movie I'd pay to see. :shock:

Best thing about Kristin (okay, second best thing) is that in addition to being ridiculously hot, she acts her ass off in every scene she's in. Her comedic timing is dead-on every single time. I also like how Paul Rubens is being set up to be a recurring character. His 'You better RUN!!!' line was so awesome. That man should be on television 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Preferably doing something shady in a sewer.

So not only do I now have a Saran Wrap fetish, I have a mermaid fetish, too. Thanks, Pushing Daisies!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Wow. Saw an episode a week or two ago. Sucked. Felt like a weak, lame attempt to reproduce all the good things about Wonderfalls.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 pm

As good as the show is, the actors say their lines so fast sometimes that it's difficult to understand what they've said.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm a big fan of this show. The whole thing has a really nice tenderness about it. It might alienate people for how overly, melodramatically "comfy" it all is, but I find that very welcome in this age of the super-cynical.

And Chuck is teh adorableness.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:14 am

I watched the first episode on ITV last weekend. It showed promise...

And then I remembered why I despair about British terrestrial channels.

ITV to drop episode 2 because otherwise the length of the series will clash will Euro 2008. FFS, none of the home nations are even in it and it is shared with the BBC.

They have been advertising PD like it is the be all and end all of the current shows and they do this?! Twats.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:38 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:I watched the first episode on ITV last weekend. It showed promise...

And then I remembered why I despair about British terrestrial channels.

ITV to drop episode 2 because otherwise the length of the series will clash will Euro 2008. FFS, none of the home nations are even in it and it is shared with the BBC.

They have been advertising PD like it is the be all and end all of the current shows and they do this?! Twats.

What's also stupid is that after this Saturday's episode, they're only showing American Pie 2....why don't they just put two episodes on. The BBC did it with Heroes. Channel 4 did it with Lost.

ITV = Northern Twunts.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:54 pm

I wish I lived with papa(!) so that I could not watch this and lose them ratings!

I'm downloading episode 2 (and 3,4,5... you get the picture) now. Screw ITV in their asses! :evil:
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm not watching it anyway as I saw it months ago. If it weren't for TV Burp, I'd never watch the channel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:12 pm

I haven't watched ITV in months, and won't again for many more.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 am

This show really needs to come back. :(

Obviously I like the show for more than eye candy, but you have to admit, it has good eye candy!!! :twisted:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 am

TheBaxter wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

It only took me 20 minutes! 8-)

Okay, I'm done perving out. I promise. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Sat May 17, 2008 7:48 am

RogueScribner wrote:Image

This show really needs to come back. :(

Obviously I like the show for more than eye candy, but you have to admit, it has good eye candy!!! :twisted:

What're you doing pulling screen caps from Canadian TV stations?!?!?!?

Just wait till Trudeau hears about this!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 18, 2008 12:26 am

Canadian TV? Cool!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby havocSchultz on Mon May 19, 2008 9:27 am

The "CTV" in the bottom right corner...

One of Canada's top TV stations (possibly the top TV station at the moment)...
They show a good number of the big American shows...
As well as the only few good Canadian Shows...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: Bryan Fuller's "Pushing Daisies"

Postby buster00 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 am

So glad to have it back! New episode / season premiere earlier tonight, just as charming as ever. I love this show.

Nice to see French Stewart in a guest role, too. He's funny.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:55 pm

buster00 wrote:So glad to have it back! New episode / season premiere earlier tonight, just as charming as ever. I love this show.

Nice to see French Stewart in a guest role, too. He's funny.

Sweet, sincere and ever so charming.

Love it. I love the colours, the narrative and the story telling. It's fantastic.

And it just goes to show that everyone could fuck an Anna Friel if they use a rubber...either that or she ends up dead.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby captainconundrum on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Is anyone else feeling like Pushing Daisies has lost its charm and magic? It feels frenetic and gimmicky to me now, like they don't know what to do with it anymore.
captainconundrum
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Actually, I think it's traded some flair for some genuine character development and I've found the series as charming and enjoyable as ever.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:04 am

Now that the show seems to be moving in a direction, I think its gotten better! Its still in my top 3 right now.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Burbfan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Yes, Lord help me, but I'm keeping it and "Chuck" as my keep-up shows, and hanging in with classic "CSI" for contrast.

BTW, notice the "flakey death" thread running through all Bryan's shows, even back to his scripts on ST: Voyager.
Burbfan
GLIB

Postby Burbfan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm

PD ratings shot up 16 % when it was all alone vs. Obama Wednesday night!

Bryan is sympathetic, though ...

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/10/daisies-showrun.html
Burbfan
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:48 pm

Main page has a story about ABC not ordering any more episodes past the 13th one they just completed shooting. All signs point to it being canceled.

Fuck.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Main page has a story about ABC not ordering any more episodes past the 13th one they just completed shooting. All signs point to it being canceled.

Fuck.

I have to admit I haven't seen any of the new season. School and work just blind sided me and I fell out of the loop. Bummer news. I was hoping to catch up in time to watch the season finale. Guess we'll instead be getting a premature series finale.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I think the series was really starting to hit its stride this year. Maybe another network will pick it up?

Fat chance. :(
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:58 pm

dammitdammitsonofabitch
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Although it's not been officially called a "cancellation"....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-abc22-2008nov22,0,1894747.story

...so Bryan Fuller might be off to Heroes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial