Bryan Fuller's "Pushing Daisies"

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Bryan Fuller's "Pushing Daisies"

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:39 pm

the sonsabitches!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 am

Since this has also seen it's end here I can finally entert his thread without spoiler fear.

One of my favourite things on TV, the cancelation and thus utterly non satisfactory ending(s) really angered me, where do I have to send the mailbombs?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 30, 2009 2:09 am

For anyone who still cares, ABC will be burning off the final 3 episodes of Pushing Daisies starting this Saturday night (May 30) at 10pm. A criminal ending for a magical show. :(
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 am

RogueScribner wrote:For anyone who still cares, ABC will be burning off the final 3 episodes of Pushing Daisies starting this Saturday night (May 30) at 10pm. A criminal ending for a magical show. :(

Finally convinced my brother to watch this show. It is now his favorite television program of all time.

Shame that the strike killed this.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat May 30, 2009 2:24 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Finally convinced my brother to watch this show. It is now his favorite television program of all time.

What kind of sadistic bastard are you?! :wink:

I'm just glad these will be airing at all, and not simply tucked away for the DVD.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 30, 2009 2:36 am

Knowing my luck, it'll all end with loose ends. Or worse: a cliffhanger!

Do networks not foster shows anymore? Okay, so the show lost a sizable chunk of its audience after the Writers' Strike. But I don't recall ABC making a big relaunch attempt in the fall. The show had steady ratings, even if they were a few million people short compared to last season. Was it just off the air too long? Gah. Why do I even think about it? It's over. Let it go . . .
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 30, 2009 4:51 am

RogueScribner wrote:Knowing my luck, it'll all end with loose ends. Or worse: a cliffhanger!

Kind of both
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 30, 2009 11:16 pm

I didn't realize how much I missed this show until I watched tonight's episode. And now there are only two episodes left. And shit like Heroes gets another season. Grrrr.

I think Kristen Chenoweth is the cutest thing ever. If I were Ned, I'd dump Chuck and go for Olive!!! :)

I think I'm going to get the DVDs. This is a world I want to visit again and again.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shermdawg on Sat May 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Looks like some of the abc affiliates won't even air tonight's episode due to a Children's Miracle Network telethon.

Including mine.
Shermdawg
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am

Shermdawg wrote:Looks like some of the abc affiliates won't even air tonight's episode due to a Children's Miracle Network telethon.

Including mine.

Well, I guess you can't really hold that against them, although it does suck that you had to miss it.

I'm finally going through Pushing Daisies in order. I only ever saw about three episodes during its television run; I liked it, I just never got into it. The pilot episode was great, balancing time jumps, narration, an elaborate system of rules, and whimsy with skill. I also like the idea of a love story between two people who can't touch each other.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:19 am

jason.cinema wrote:In a recent news article the Pushing Daisies love seems shared between both ABC and Warner Brothers (the studio producing the series)...

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...clnk&cd=3&gl=us

But Pushing Daisies is an unabashed favorite at both its studio, Warner Brothers, and its network. Peter Roth, the president of Warner Brothers Television, said, "If a show of this quality works, it will renew my faith in the taste of the American audience."

Steven McPherson, the president of ABC Entertainment, said, "We have not had many shows generate enthusiasm as intense as this one. We're going to be pushing it in a big way."

The script for the series touched off a bidding war between NBC and ABC and Bryan Fuller chose ABC...

The script for Pushing Daisies struck nerves all over Hollywood, ultimately spawning a bidding war between ABC and NBC. ABC had some advantages. For one, coincidentally, ABC was looking for material reminiscent of the French film Amelie a story about a young woman's fantastic world. McPherson said that he loved that movie and that ABC hoped to find a show that could strike the same chords of "whimsy and spirit and magic."

I don't want to get all starry-eyed but it's refreshing to hear that type of sentiment from the suits, after years of my favorite TV series getting the FOX treatment.

For realsies. Seeing what happened to Pushing Daisies takes a little bit of the blush off that rose, but some of those quotes by network suits surprised the hell out of me. It's a little heartening to know that the people in charge of television actually LIKE quality television, even if they don't manage to get it on the air most of the time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:15 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:I think Emmerson is the funniest person on the show.

OLIVE: Do they touch?

EMERSON: Wish they would.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Vegeta wrote:One slight complaint: Is it just me or did Pushing Daisies suffer from (to a lesser extent) Gilmore Girls disorder? Meaning, that there was an awful lot of rapid fire, passionless dialouge. Just something I noticed.

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. The dialogue is extremely rapid-fire at times (unnecessarily so I would argue), and it's hard to catch everything they said before they move on to the next thing. Coincidence or not, two of the writers for Pushing Daisies in fact worked on Gilmore Girls.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:The narrator pushes the tone past whimsical into silly. I think they need a new narrator (perhaps Ned) or none at all.

I will concede that the narrators voice was one of my only real complaints. I think it works best in moderation.

I actually totally disagree; I think that the narrator is the best part of the show.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Re:

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
DennisMM wrote:The narrator pushes the tone past whimsical into silly. I think they need a new narrator (perhaps Ned) or none at all.

I will concede that the narrators voice was one of my only real complaints. I think it works best in moderation.

I actually totally disagree; I think that the narrator is the best part of the show.

Then we settle this the only way I know how...

...PIE OFF!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 pm

To the death!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Ribbons wrote:To the death!

Or at the very least, severe cramping.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm almost done with the show (about 3 left) and for some reason it seems like the last few episodes have been extremely quotable.

"Oh look, a bad idea just found a friend."

"This is NOT how The Secret is supposed to work!"

"TAP. THAT."

"You know what they say, it's better to have loved and lost than to be you."

Daisies seemed a little too madcap at the beginning of season 2, but it's actually gotten really interesting. Shame it got mown down right as it was picking up steam (creatively, anyway).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Well, that's it. I have to say the last handful of episodes were really good. I don't know if they put the pedal to the metal because they knew they were being cancelled or if it was just an unfortunate coincidence, but at the very least I'm glad it went out strong. The "cliffhanger" at the end was great; I would have liked to have seen where they went with it, but alas. The epilogue seemed a little hurried, but I understand the impulse to wrap things up. The one thing that really struck me as bizarre was Olive leaving the Pie Hole and starting a gigantic, cow-shaped Mac-'N'-Cheese restaurant. If they were working up to that I didn't pick up on it at all. While they were answering things, a few specifics about the future of Ned and Chuck's relationship would have been appreciated. Maybe it was a little too complicated to get into. But I at least liked how they brought the first line of the show back for the last line. That was a nice "touch."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial