Doctor Who - 2006 Christmas Special - SPOILERS

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Doctor Who - 2006 Christmas Special - SPOILERS

Postby Chilli on Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:06 pm

Pretty good. Nice resonance with the end of S2. Combined with a cool monster gets a:

B+

Brilliantly random clips from S3 get an A+. Especially for

DALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEKS!
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:46 pm

Nice one Chilli. I never even thought of posting that on here.

Yup! The exposition to Season 3 looks like fun.

There is one nagging thing I cannot stand....and its Russel T. Davis's interest in trying the make the Doctor as human as possible. In the old series, the Doctor was just an anomily but he had a penchant for human kind because they amused him with their diverisity and talent. The new series tries too hard to make the Doctor human....which he is not.
But still, its fun, its talented and its quirky...just like Dr.Who should be.

Bring it on.

I'm a little bored with the Daleks now considering they are one of the Doctors greatest Nemesis...They keep cropping up and being killed off in such a short time frame, how about a draw? both leaving with frustration but with no ulterior choices?

I am so desperate to see the master and davros its ridiculous but RTD doesn't like those characters. I say make the master a super good looking guy who tries to steal the doctors assistants away from him with charm...that would be excellent (even though the Doctor doesn't know he's evil yet). Oh, and Davros...He doesn't need an introduction....he is the best.

The new ep itself....I'd give it an 8/10. Good but not the best effort, kinda humorous but still cool. Love both new Doctors Btw.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chilli on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm hoping for a raving mad Time Lord to somehow turn up, and get in Doctor Who's face about his bloody obsession with companons and humanity. Perhaps discovering that wiping out humanity may bring back the Time-Lords.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:58 pm

Chilli wrote:I'm hoping for a raving mad Time Lord to somehow turn up, and get in Doctor Who's face about his bloody obsession with companons and humanity. Perhaps discovering that wiping out humanity may bring back the Time-Lords.

You mean 'The master' :lol:

papalazeru

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:14 pm

i thought it was a bit poo.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:19 pm

papalazeru wrote: I say make the master a super good looking guy who tries to steal the doctors assistants away from him with charm...that would be excellent (even though the Doctor doesn't know he's evil yet).

Captain Jack......The Master was a bit of a panto villain anyway. It'd have to be done really well to worth while.

It had some great stuff , it had some dull bits (as did the last series).

I didn't quite see the point in casting Catherine Tate, but then I'm not a big fan. It just seemed to be like a adult version of that "Am I bothered?" character.

The series 3 clips were good to see, but there appeared to be an awful lot of man-in-rubber-suit creations.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:59 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote: I say make the master a super good looking guy who tries to steal the doctors assistants away from him with charm...that would be excellent (even though the Doctor doesn't know he's evil yet).

Captain Jack......The Master was a bit of a panto villain anyway. It'd have to be done really well to worth while.

I didn't quite see the point in casting Catherine Tate, but then I'm not a big fan. It just seemed to be like a adult version of that "Am I bothered?" character.

The series 3 clips were good to see, but there appeared to be an awful lot of man-in-rubber-suit creations.

Is it me or did anyone see the 'sea devils' returning.

I actually quite liked C.Tate in this...I don't like her comedy show but she did quite well in this.

As Gold said, The master was a bit panto but to bring him back now would be excellent...this time making him more 'on egde' and being a real Master...someone to be feared. I thought the Daleks appeared kinda lame in the second series, the Cybermen weren't bad but could have been scarier.

Still...A good off. I thought last years was better though...might have been because of the change in the Doctor.

papalazeru

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:31 am

I loved the Runaway Bride. It was much better than the christmas invasion. I loved seeing the Doctor finaly leave in the TARDIS alone. I loved hearing about Galifrey for the first time in the new series.

I can't wait for next season.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:00 pm

I can't believe he mentioned Gallifrey. I thought they'd never go there... I hope it means we're finally going to get some back story... I think the new fans are ready.

I really missed Billie in this, it was actually quiet upsetting for me. I thought Tennant handled the Rose stuff beautifully.

A wonderful exploration as to why The Doctor needs a companion.

Great ep, can't wait for the third season.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Yeah, hopefully they'll resurrect the Time War story thread. It sounded as if the Racnoss' action were connected to it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 pm

...adn remember Boe only has one more appearance left in him before he dies....Here's looking and the claustrophobe in a jar.

papalazeru

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Sounds like it was fun. I wonder if they will show it over here...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby papalazeru on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:53 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Sounds like it was fun. I wonder if they will show it over here...

There are ways.......

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:02 pm

Did anyone else see the Doctor Who concert? It was quite fun.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby shakermakerman on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:01 pm

who is Gallifrey?
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby shakermakerman on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:14 pm

ok so its th doctors home world lol
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby tapehead on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Captain Jack - got to salvage something from Torchwood
Catherine Tate - glad I've never tuned into her show, she was almost good at some points
Men in suits - agreed.

shakermakerman wrote:who is Gallifrey?

sort of - the Doctor is from Gallifrey, all the Time Lords were.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Shane on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Yeah, hopefully they'll resurrect the Time War story thread. It sounded as if the Racnoss' action were connected to it.

No, the dark times was when the timelords battled the vampires and what not. It's like millions of years before the time war. They talk about that stuff in the old series. No connection to the time war.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:47 pm

In that case, it appears they may (for better or worse) start referencing a lot more things from past series.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:In that case, it appears they may start using a lot more references to past series.

I hope like hell they do.

They have villains in the 3rd season that resemble and seem like classic villains but with new looks and stories. If you didn't know at first glance or at first description you would think it was a classic villain. The 2nd series had satan who did something like that too.

SPOILERS

Oh yeah and the Daleks are in episode 3&4 which are not named yet but it does take place in 1930's New York. That sounds cool. It's the time traveling Dalek from the Doomsday.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:12 pm

Shane wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:In that case, it appears they may start using a lot more references to past series.

Wouldn't be proper Who without that - when you've as deep & rich a history as Dr. Who has, you're somewhat compelled to look backwards.

If you can't, then why be a bloody Timelord in the first place?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Shane on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:31 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Shane wrote:

Wouldn't be proper Who without that - when you've as deep & rich a history as Dr. Who has, you're somewhat compelled to look backwards.

If you can't, then why be a bloody Timelord in the first place?

The current concept is that bringing up stuff from the past is not good. New is good. They don't want to get into the conviluted stories and continuity that exists. And blieve me it got real conviluted since 1963. The time war happened multiple times in multiple paradoxes, the timelords have been eliminated more than once. The list can go on forever, they just got too much there for people to start to have to explain it all and start loosing the new fans.

just look at the crap on this site http://www.geocities.com/willbswift/ it is too confusing to be entertaining anymore.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:44 pm

I get that - I just don't like pretending that nothing that came before ever happened.
You've got a show with decades of backstory, decades of lore & myth.
Shirley someone could smooth out this tangled history, or at least collect it, sort it & try to connect the dots in a saner, more coherant fashion.

All these decades of Who should be a treasure trove, not an impediment.

Or embarressment.
Makes one sad.
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:06 pm

It's fine to acknowledge the history and make reference to it. But there is always the chance of getting too bogged down in it all (as the 80s series' did).

Plus they run the risk of alienating a portion of the current audience. I think it better to build it's own mythology, but with a few splashes of past concepts here and there.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It's fine to acknowledge the history and make reference to it. But there is always the chance of getting too bogged down in it all (as the 80s series' did).

Plus they run the risk of alienating a portion of the current audience. I think it better to build it's own mythology, but with a few splashes of past concepts here and there.

That sounds fair & equitable.
Throw an occaisional bone to the olde farts out there Who have been following this thing for bloody decades.
The Vicar

Postby Shane on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:35 pm

The Vicar wrote:I get that - I just don't like pretending that nothing that came before ever happened.
Shirley someone could smooth out this tangled history, or at least collect it, sort it & try to connect the dots in a saner, more coherant fashion.

All these decades of Who should be a treasure trove, not an impediment.

Or embarressment.
Makes one sad.

Oh I agree. I just don't want it to get as bad as it can. I want more from the past. I am obsessed with classic Who. I have almost every classic episode and watch classic Who multiple times a week. I Think some stuff would be great. I didn't want to sound like I was against the past, just scared of what can happen.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:25 pm

The Vicar wrote:I get that - I just don't like pretending that nothing that came before ever happened.

The one thing that got me about this episode and so many in the new series is the "Its you! I thought we killed you off billions of years ago?"..wich is all well and good but it makes you think...If they've waiting billions of years to kill him, billions of years plotting...why don't they come up with a better plan :lol:

As for connecting the dots Vicars....I think its possible but it would ahve to be a happy compromise between the old and the young audiences. I hope they don't change the History.

....and don't call me Shirley.

papalazeru

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 am

Who comes with about thirty years of baggage...and any of us whose ever been in the dating world knows what baggage can do to a relationship.
The Dr's baggage is somewhat more interesting than most, though.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:39 am

Shirley.

What....?
The Vicar

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:09 am

Who is Shirley?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:09 am

Sorry, I got confused & disoriented.

Again.
The Vicar

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:44 am

The Vicar wrote:Sorry, I got confused & disoriented.

Again.

Par for the course, I gather.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:46 am

If I shoot par, it'll be a good day.
The Vicar

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:43 am

The sun is reporting....

***SUPER SPOILER!!!***

If true

The Sun Online has released an article stating that Life on Mars star John Simm is the "favourite to play" the Master. It claims the famous character is to return in the upcoming third season of Who.

The Master's return will be the major twist of the third series, which starts in the spring. But he will not appear until the end.

Sir Derek Jacobi, 68, will play another Who foe - The Professor. He poses as a good guy but the Doctor discovers the truth when The Professor dies and regenerates.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Return to Coaxial