TV Smackdown (HBO SHOW vs. HBO SHOW!!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Poll #2: Which of the following acclaimed HBO series is the absolute best?

Arli$$
No votes
Deadwood
24%
Carnivale
3%
Entourage
6%
Oz
No votes
Rome
3%
Sex and the City
9%
Six Feet Under
6%
The Sopranos
18%
The Wire
30%

Total votes : 33

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:48 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:The WIre is not just a Cop show, it's far better than any other show with Cop Characters out there, it's comments on Society like no other show ever created and has the most believable characters too, it's not a case of good guys and bad guys being painted in Black and White, everyone is their own deviant shade of grey. I'm not saying Deadwood is a bad show, I do love it but if you had actually seen every episode of The Wire you would be voting for it on the poll. FACT.

oh come on, Locke. you think The Wire is the first cop show to depict "shades of grey"? it is one of the best cop shows ever produced, i give you that without reservation, but it wouldn't exist without shows like Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

Have you seen every single episode?

Again if you had I can state as fact that you'd be voting for it.

FACT

you have been spending too much time around Kirk. :P :wink:

As always Peven my old chum, you are skirting over the question at hand.

Or have you seen a few and think that it's enough to form a concrete opinion on the quality of what every single person who has seen every single episode will tell you is the greatest TV show in the History of the World.

Hmmmm?

Have you seen every episode of every tv show in the history of the world? THEN SHUT THE F**K UP!!!! 8)

i think not

edit: and Locke, no i have not seen every single episode, but i have seen more than one or two, like you suggest.

and in all fairness, i am not the one trying to disparage anyone who doesn't agree with my opinion. but then, i am not a Founding elitist Struggling Background Artist either. :P
Last edited by Peven on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm

I don't think he was talking to you Peven, but someone else.

No, I haven't SEEN every TV show in the world, Pacino - but I've BEEN in them!! Image
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:51 pm

I'll be honest... I've seen a couple episodes of The Wire, however I found it a little hard to follow because it was midseason and had a ton of characters. If I get a chance I'll netflix it, but until then, I've got to vote with my heart: DEADWOOD!

FACT! :P
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:12 pm

The Wire is not better that it's quasi-father Homicide.

Buffy v Heroes.
Buffy is and was worthwhile because of the storytelling between the action and things unrelated to the "Big Bad" arcs each season.

Heroes is good for the mystery surrounding the powers and the action scenes. The stuff inbetween generally feels like filler. (cough Mohinder cough)
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:The Wire is not better that it's quasi-father Homicide.

Buffy v Heroes.
Buffy is and was worthwhile because of the storytelling between the action and things unrelated to the "Big Bad" arcs each season.

Heroes is good for the mystery surrounding the powers and the action scenes. The stuff inbetween generally feels like filler. (cough Mohinder cough)

To date, there has not been a single "filler" episode of Heroes. Comparing one portion of an episode (Mohinder's scenes) to an entire filler episode is unfair, I think. To be more precise, his scenes aren't exactly filler. They have advanced the plot. And I am 99.9% sure that they will come around and make his character pivotal. Afterall, if not for his father, there would be almost no storyline. Sylar wouldn't exist. I don't see a revenge plot in the works, so there must be something else up their sleeve in store for Mohinder.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:50 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:The WIre is not just a Cop show, it's far better than any other show with Cop Characters out there, it's comments on Society like no other show ever created and has the most believable characters too, it's not a case of good guys and bad guys being painted in Black and White, everyone is their own deviant shade of grey. I'm not saying Deadwood is a bad show, I do love it but if you had actually seen every episode of The Wire you would be voting for it on the poll. FACT.

oh come on, Locke. you think The Wire is the first cop show to depict "shades of grey"? it is one of the best cop shows ever produced, i give you that without reservation, but it wouldn't exist without shows like Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

FACT

Or have you seen a few and think that it's enough to form a concrete opinion on the quality of what every single person who has seen every single episode will tell you is the greatest TV show in the History of the World.

Hmmmm?

Have you seen every episode of every tv show in the history of the world? THEN SHUT THE F**K UP!!!! 8)

No, I missed one episode of Degrassi Junior High when I was 10.

:oops:
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Fawst wrote:

Buffy v Heroes.

To date, there has not been a single "filler" episode of Heroes. Comparing one portion of an episode (Mohinder's scenes) to an entire filler episode is unfair, I think. To be more precise, his scenes aren't exactly filler. They have advanced the plot. And I am 99.9% sure that they will come around and make his character pivotal. Afterall, if not for his father, there would be almost no storyline. Sylar wouldn't exist. I don't see a revenge plot in the works, so there must be something else up their sleeve in store for Mohinder.

hey fellas, there are multiple threads dealing with the merits of Buffy vs Heroes (unfortunately).

this thread is for HBO series only.

And I voted for the Wire jsut so JL doesn't yell at me...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:07 pm

so sorry wrote:.

8)

I <3 so sorry
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fawst on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:09 pm

I'm sure I missed an episode of You Can't Do That On Television at one time or another... but I've seen the "batteries not included" battery belt episode twice, so I'm sure that makes up for it.

Heeeeeeey Moose?
Yah, Alistair?
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:10 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fawst wrote:

Buffy v Heroes.

hey fellas, there are multiple threads dealing with the merits of Buffy vs Heroes (unfortunately).

this thread is for HBO series only.

er...

Then why is this split off from the original argument? This should be its own thread, not a rehash of the old one.
Last edited by Fawst on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ricky Henderson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:12 pm

There isn't another crime drama out there that is as richly and multi-layered as "The Wire." It rewards people who have been watching since season 1. The show's writers love to pick up threads and themes that you thought were long forgotten. The acting is brilliant and the show feels simultaneously entertaining and educational. Not an easy thing to pull off. I like "Deadwood," but "The Wire" is far and away the best thing on HBO. Ever.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." --Mark Twain
Ricky Henderson
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:16 pm

John-Locke wrote:No, I missed one episode of Degrassi Junior High when I was 10.

BEST EPISODE EV4R!!!!111

FACT
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, clearly it's The Wire.

Deadwood, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under; these are all brilliant groundbreaking shows, phenomenal acting and classy, assured direction. They are some of the greatest achievements in moving pictures.

The Wire, however, goes beyond all of that. It's difficult for me to really explain in detail why the show is so magnificent without spoiling at least the first season but I'm going to try.

I'd also like to point people's attention to this interview with one of the show's creators, David Simon

So, where to begin?

This is a show that more than any other is mapping American society from the lowest crackfiend to the some of the highest offices in the nation. No stone is left unturned in the writer's quest for truth, not "The Truth" that's so often talked about when it comes to art but the truth of similarities, the truth of how the systems of government, law, education, work are failing at a fundamental level. The truth about a heroin addict's humanity, about a drug dealer's humanity, a child's, a teenager's, a cop's, a lawyer's, a teacher's, a security guard's. These people's lives are altered and ended not just by their actions or the actions of another person but by the rules of the system be they the education system the judicial system or the less legitimate systems of drug dealer's and schoolyards or corners.

The Wire doesn't preach about any of this, it merely reflects the reality and let's you make you own conclusions. We are never told what to feel or what to think and it's wholly refreshing to not be patronised or herded in to one particular emotion. And that brings me to the use of music; there is no score, no cues when someone is shot or goes to prison. It's a brave move and it works, firstly, because in real life there are no cues and secondly because of the genuinely genius use of diegetic music which counterpoints what’s happening in the story. There are no flashy camera moves, effects, dream sequences (sopranos :roll: ) people coming back from the dead etc etc. The Wire presents reality and it uses only reality to tell the story, that’s a hell of thing to do.

Now I know a hell of a lot of people are going to point to the artistry of Deadwood’s dialogue as a brilliant thing but the accuracy of the Bawlmer dialect and phrases, coupled with a perfect use of “street slangâ€
Last edited by TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:19 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
John-Locke wrote:No, I missed one episode of Degrassi Junior High when I was 10.

BEST EPISODE EV4R!!!!111

FACT

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've missed you, Bob. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:30 pm

[quote="TonyWilson"]Well, clearly it's The Wire.

Deadwood, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under; these are all brilliant groundbreaking shows, phenomenal acting and classy, assured direction. They are some of the greatest achievements in moving pictures.

The Wire, however, goes beyond all of that. It's difficult for me to really explain in detail why the show is so magnificent without spoiling at least the first season but I'm going to try.

I'd also like to point people's attention to this interview with one of the show's creators, David Simon

So, where to begin?

This is a show that more than any other is mapping American society from the lowest crackfiend to the some of the highest offices in the nation. No stone is left unturned in the writer's quest for truth, not "The Truth" that's so often talked about when it comes to art but the truth of similarities, the truth of how the systems of government, law, education, work are failing at a fundamental level. The truth about a heroin addict's humanity, about a drug dealer's humanity, a child's, a teenager's, a cop's, a lawyer's, a teacher's, a security guard's. These people's lives are altered and ended not just by their actions or the actions of another person but by the rules of the system be they the education system the judicial system or the less legitimate systems of drug dealer's and schoolyards or corners.

The Wire doesn't preach about any of this, it merely reflects the reality and let's you make you own conclusions. We are never told what to feel or what to think and it's wholly refreshing to not be patronised or herded in to one particular emotion. And that brings me to the use of music; there is no score, no cues when someone is shot or goes to prison. It's a brave move and it works, firstly, because in real life there are no cues and secondly because of the genuinely genius use of diegetic music which counterpoints what’s happening in the story. There are no flashy camera moves, effects, dream sequences (sopranos :roll: ) people coming back from the dead etc etc. The Wire presents reality and it uses only reality to tell the story, that’s a hell of thing to do.

Now I know a hell of a lot of people are going to point to the artistry of Deadwood’s dialogue as a brilliant thing but the accuracy of the Bawlmer dialect and phrases, coupled with a perfect use of “street slangâ€
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 pm

hey Tony and Locke, get a room. :P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 pm

[quote="TonyWilson"]Well, clearly it's The Wire.

So, where to begin?

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:48 pm

MW, JL; thanks guys. You know I'm not one for writing large slabs of text but The Wire is more than worth it and if it gets you, MasterWhedon to experience it sooner then I'm really really happy. Just stick with the first episode and by 1x2 or 1x3 you'll be hooked.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:49 pm

All Right Shut UP! I'll watch it then, in fact I'm not sure if I want to watch it or make sweet, sweet, love to it down by the fire now.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:53 pm

tapehead wrote:All Right Shut UP! I'll watch it then, in fact I'm not sure if I want to watch it or make sweet, sweet, love to it down by the fire now.

When you've watched it you'll make sweet sweet love to it AND you'll thank it AND you'll then ask for it's hand in marriage.
TonyWilson

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:03 pm

Just you guys wait for my essay on the greatness of Arli$$. Seriously, Robert Wuhl and Sandra Oh mingling with sports stars of limited acting ability--comedy gold!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:11 pm

can someone give me the Cliff's Notes for that TonyWilson review?

Doesn't he understand that the attention span of the average Zone is about 1 and 1/2 paragraphs?

Ah fuck it, I'll just take his word for it and go rent Bird on a Wire...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:19 pm

so sorry wrote:can someone give me the Cliff's Notes for that TonyWilson review?

Doesn't he understand that the attention span of the average Zone is about 1 and 1/2 paragraphs?

IPAMPILASH
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:36 pm

John-Locke wrote:
so sorry wrote:can someone give me the Cliff's Notes for that TonyWilson review?

IPAMPILASH

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Y'know, that's 1300 words and it's the most I've written since my degree. Blimey, I'd forgotten how to do it.
TonyWilson

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:39 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Y'know, that's 1300 words and it's the most I've written since my degree. Blimey, I'd forgotten how to do it.

You know what's funny about that? The only "essays" I ever write anymore are for Zone debates. And I love every one of them WAY more than any of the papers I ever wrote in school.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:13 pm

That's one reason why I've stopped writing so much here. What POINT does it really have?

Oh and So Sorry's Bird on a Wire post

-

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Also, the more you guys bumlick around The Wire, the more I'm NOT gonna watch it and spin one off to Sex and the City instead.

Farking Sarah Jessica Par... I mean, farking horses.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:18 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:That's one reason why I've stopped writing so much here. What POINT does it really have?

Oh and So Sorry's Brid on a Wire post

-

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Also, the more you guys bumlick around The Wire, the more I'm NOT gonna watch it and spin one off to Sex and the City instead.

Farking Sarah Jessica Par... I mean, farking horses.

See, why do you choose to be a contrarian about things? If people who's taste I respect were going crazy about a TV show I'd want to watch it to see why everyone goes nuts for it. To purposefully not watch it JUST because people are raving about it is cutting off your nose to spite your face, it's just egotistical crap IMO.
TonyWilson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:23 pm

Shhesh you people!!! I KNEW I should a put an emoticon up there.

Mutters and curses incoherently to himself.

Still gonna knock one out to Sex and the City 'cos of you lot though.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:24 pm

TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Hey, who else voted Six Feet Under?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:26 pm

TonyWilson wrote::oops:

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm

The Wire had better be good. I've got 87.3% of season one already.

I mean. I've got the season one DVD on order!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TonyWilson wrote::oops:

there's no emoticaon for what I'm feeling right now.
TonyWilson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:33 pm

How are you feeling?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:How are you feeling?

I'll not lie, there's a little mahogany going on right now.
TonyWilson

Postby justcheckin on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:How are you feeling?

If he is near you, probably itchy from the bugs.. hehe
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:48 pm

Itchy bugs + Kirk = uncomfortably visit to GP
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
Peven wrote:

FACT

Hmmmm?

No, I missed one episode of Degrassi Junior High when I was 10.

I just wanted to see what all the quote boxes looked like.

FACT!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:06 pm

FACT!!!!!

Whoever mentioned Degrassi gets a cookie...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:49 pm

Ribbons wrote:O Canada...

Cookies for EVERYBODY...!!!

Now bend over...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Previous