GAME OF THRONES

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Rihanna is going to be in next week's episode where she'll drop a snipit of her new single as a singer at a Dothraki pre-battle party.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 pm

rihanna actually had a guest role on the last season of Bates Motel (as Marion Crane!). she was actually pretty good, didn't sing at all (not even in the shower!), and frankly was much more pleasant to watch than ed sheeran could ever hope to be.

and marilyn manson did a guest role on Salem.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 pm

TheBaxter wrote:rihanna actually had a guest role on the last season of Bates Motel (as Marion Crane!). she was actually pretty good, didn't sing at all (not even in the shower!), and frankly was much more pleasant to watch than ed sheeran could ever hope to be.

and marilyn manson did a guest role on Salem.

Rihanna is supposed to be one of the best parts of "Valerian", too.

Manson is one I would like to see given the Ramsey Bolton treatment.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:35 pm

finale prediction: Arya will sneak into King's Landing, about to carry out her plan to kill Cersei, when she is discovered by the Mountain, who is about to crush her to a bloody pulp, when suddenly Nymeria returns and attacks him, allowing Arya to escape.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:49 pm

good riddance Dorne and Sand Snakes. i think one of the GoT spinoffs should be a Big Brother-style live stream of Ellaria watching her last daughter die and rot slowly before her eyes. i'd tune in.

how long will JS and DT's sibling rivalry last? not long, it seems. 3 episodes in, and dany's already lost a ton of the unsullied and the fleet she worked the previous 6 seasons to obtain. rookie mistakes. cersei's been playing the GoT a lot longer than her, and dany's arrogance is costing her. tyrion's been out of the game too long too, and is rusty. she needs JS and the experience of a real Westerosi to set her straight. also, littlefinger's speech about seeing all possibilities so nothing surprises you sounded awfully like a description of the Three Eyed Bran. he could become Sansa's secret weapon.

so now that jaime knows it was olenna, not tyrion, who poisoned joffrey, he'll probably tell cersei, who won't care because she hates tyrion anyway and besides he's with dany now, but i wonder if this will start to drive a wedge between them again. jaime is in full-cersei mode right now, but he's already a kingslayer and with cersei resembling the mad king more and more every moment, you wonder if he won't eventually become a queenslayer as well.

this season is feeling kinda rushed.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:32 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so now that jaime knows it was olenna, not tyrion, who poisoned joffrey, he'll probably tell cersei, who won't care because she hates tyrion anyway and besides he's with dany now, but i wonder if this will start to drive a wedge between them again. jaime is in full-cersei mode right now, but he's already a kingslayer and with cersei resembling the mad king more and more every moment, you wonder if he won't eventually become a queenslayer as well.

Last night's episode was all about the Lannister's and what a great episode it was.
They are definitely setting up a wedge between Cersei and Jaime. We will find out exactly where his loyalties lie very soon I imagine.

The season is feeling very rushed. Episode two had Dani's conference room full of allies - how did they all get there so fast, teleporting?
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm

Maui wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Last night's episode was all about the Lannister's and what a great episode it was.
They are definitely setting up a wedge between Cersei and Jaime. We will find out exactly where his loyalties lie very soon I imagine.

The season is feeling very rushed. Episode two had Dani's conference room full of allies - how did they all get there so fast, teleporting?

and jon snow had an awfully quick trip from winterfell to dragonstone. and the unsullied made it to casterly rock pretty quickly, considering they'd have to sail all the way south around dorne and then back up the western coast. the show has always played fast and loose with geography and travel times (in the books, it can take weeks, even months to go from the north to the southern cities) but it started to get really worse last season and is continuing this season. some could be explained away by saying the show isn't portraying all that "down time" between the events being depicted, but then these scenes are interspersed with scenes that obviously only took a couple days, like sam treating jorah in the citadel. GRRM has said that part of his difficulty with writing the books is balancing out the time and distance between the characters, and how to move various characters to where they need to be at the right time. the show has basically solved that problem by just ignoring it and putting people where they need them to be on a whim. as viewers i think we're basically expected to ignore it as well.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:good riddance Dorne and Sand Snakes. i think one of the GoT spinoffs should be a Big Brother-style live stream of Ellaria watching her last daughter die and rot slowly before her eyes. i'd tune in.

I think that's incredibly cruel of you. For a premise that is just downright horrifying as it is so personal I thought this was a mercilessly painful and horrific thing to happen to someone.

You're very mean.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:good riddance Dorne and Sand Snakes. i think one of the GoT spinoffs should be a Big Brother-style live stream of Ellaria watching her last daughter die and rot slowly before her eyes. i'd tune in.

I think that's incredibly cruel of you. For a premise that is just downright horrifying as it is so personal I thought this was a mercilessly painful and horrific thing to happen to someone.

You're very mean.

if they give you a bit part playing the jailer who comes in every couple hours to change the torches, i bet you'd feel differently.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:22 pm

Was Tyrion's mistake to not think that Jaime would EXPECT an attack on Casterly Rock? As the flanking attack on the Unsullied's fleet which destroyed them I would think could not be done unless the Lannister's knew this attack was coming.

Tyrion was the only one who knew about the secret passage into the building, so I'm to assume that he is thinking that the defenders of Casterly Rock consider an attack on them to be suicide, so they would not expect such invasion.

But I guess Cersei and Jaime would be open minded to play safe and be ready for an attack, thinking that their enemies would try to be resourceful in some way to do so in a way to make them believe in victory. So they left a limited number of their army on standby with their flame boulder weapons to take them out.

If this is right(?) then Tyrion under anticipated the Lannister's readiness, which cost him.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:24 pm

As I was thinking regarding the point blank range firing of that massive arrow into the massive dragon's skull, maybe Daenery's Dragon's aren't that vulnerable after all...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ed-1023839
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

You're very mean.

if they give you a bit part playing the jailer who comes in every couple hours to change the torches, i bet you'd feel differently.

That makes you even more of a bad hearted person for thinking this of me and calling me out for hypocrisy. You are revolting.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm

yeah, Olena, good for the old broad, she really didn't have much better waiting for her except to die alone.

fuck Jaime, fuck him up his pretty boy complicit ass, there is no death too painful or horrific for him. why is it that people despise Theon and have northing but scorn for him while always looking for some way to give Jaime an out? think about what Jaimie has done compared to Theon, Jaimie should be much more hated by all rights. I hope the Mountain tears him apart, literally, after he kills Cersi.

no sympathy for the Sand Snakes, either, they got what they had coming to them

they said the show would move a lot faster this season but wow, there has been as almost as much that happened in the first three episodes of this season as an entire season in the past.

by the end of next show John and Dany will be fully allied and the final three episodes look to be microwave-like as well

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:31 pm

Jaime has been wavering (between evil and redemption) since meeting Brienne. But a public dressing down by Euron and a good hard fuck from his sister put him squarely back in Season One Jaime mode. It will be interesting to see what effect Oleana's words have on him.

Sansa - "Braaaaannnnnnn!!!"
Bran - "Oh. Hi. I'm the Three-Eyed Raven now and cannot show facial expressions anymore. Weird, huh?"

It was cool seeing Bronn for 3 seconds. I hope he and Tyrion are reunited (in a good way).
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 pm

Brann knows that John is at Dragonstone, so he could just send a raven to let John know who his parents really are......of course he won't....but he could

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:34 pm

That's like saying "Them Hobbits could just ride an Eagle over Mt. Doom, drop the ring off, and be back in time for dinner!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:24 am

not really. there would be a lot of story left to tell yet, far from a solution to beating the big threat to all, and sending a raven is something that is done all the time as a standard form of communication. whereas riding giant eagles over Mt Doom would be an endgame move and riding giant eagles was a rare and extraordinary event. not the same kind of mechanism at all

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 am

Jesus fucking christ.
I try a friendly debate.......and you're a dick.
I try to make jokes.......and you're a dick.
I ignore you..........and you're still a dick to others.
I tried.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 am

if jaime was purely good, or purely evil, he'd be a boring character. and really, EVERYONE on this show has done something horrible by now. jon snow hung a child... sure, a child who stabbed him in the heart, but still a child. tyrion killed his dad. dany crucified a bunch of people. sansa let a bunch of dogs eat a dude alive. "good" vs. "evil" is a really relativistic concept on this show. jaime's character is interesting precisely because of the inner conflict between his nobler and his baser instincts. that doesn't mean he's a character you root for, or like, necessarily, just that he's interesting to watch and to speculate about which side of his nature will ultimately win out.

and sure, bran could send a raven to let jon know his true parentage, but what would that accomplish? if dany doesn't believe him about the white walkers, what do you think she would say to jon coming to her and telling her, "hey, my crippled psychic brother told me i'm actually your nephew! we should like totally team up"? and what if the raven were intercepted? suddenly the north finds out their new king is a targaryen, might not go over so well. bran is still learning to use his powers, and while the three-eyed raven can see the past and the present, we don't know how much he can see the future. obviously his abilities are going to have a role in how everything plays out, but there may be a longer, more complicated plan at play, and revealing jon's heritage to him too soon could ruin that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm

If only Bran had the power to make HIMSELF more interesting. Everytime his scene comes on it has the same feeling of when you're looking at a pretty girl on the train then a guy with massive bum cleavage in his low hanging jeans then stands in front of you as if to say "Here, look at this instead. Wanker."

Branker.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:38 pm

I wasn't judging the choice to not have Brann send a raven to John, just musing on it. aside from the writers' perspective of drawing out the tension and drama I can certainly see Brann deciding that there would not be enough assured reward to take the risk of putting that information in the claws of a bird. harken back to the first season when Catelyn Stark received the letter from her sister warning about her husband's assassination and it was delivered by rider rather than raven for security reasons. still, he might at least send a message telling John that Dany plays a special role in beating the Night King that John doesn't know yet...something cryptic, after all, he's the 3 Eyed Raven, ought to be a snap :wink:

I don't see it being a big deal either way, except that.....what if Brann reveals what he has seen to Sansa.....and Littlefinger finds out......THEN we're talking about a plot device that really affects things moving forward, potentially eroding or even removing John's support by the lords of the North as the true King of the North, leaving Sansa to take the throne with Littlefinger as her "adviser". thankfully Arya will be around, the wildcard Littlefinger didn't count on.

part of trying to figure out what is going to happen is calculating the remaining time in the series to tell what is left of the story to get to the end. there are only 10 episodes left to wrap the whole thing up. it is going to take the last two episodes for the finale, just look at what happens at the end of every season, episode 9 is usually just part 1 of the climax of the season and considering how much needs to be done to conclude all these character's arcs in a finale I'd say 2 episodes is a pretty safe bet.

that leaves 8 episodes of storytelling to get to the end from here, 8 episodes to tie together all those plot threads for the big ending. start going through the characters and ask; how do they get from here to where you think they are going to end up? add up all the characters. that is a lot of story to tell in just 8 episodes. there really isn't much time left for rising action, and so I think we are going to start getting a combination of characters and storylines being "concluded" (as we saw in ep 3) as part of de-cluttering and streamlining the story while building the overall rising action towards the last couple episodes.

I think the studly pie boy will not be the last character we see pop up for a quick resolution scene as we start gathering momentum and mass to the different viewpoints. lucky for the pie boy he lived, I think more characters from the past than not will meet a less desirous end as we revisit their situations and resolve their storylines, seeing them for the last time, one way or another.

If we are going to assume that Dany and John each make it to the finale then the next question is; when do they find out their relation to one another? my guess is episode 7 this season, preparing them to face the last 6 episodes solidly teamed up to face both Cersi and then the Night King.

are we ever going to see Gendry again??? if not I think that is kind of lazy. but I bet we will see him....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:54 pm

the final episode will be GRRM sitting by a fire, looking into a camera, narrating a series of "and then this happened... and then this happened..." after the tv show budget has run out with a book and a half left of story to tell.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the final episode will be GRRM sitting by a fire, looking into a camera, narrating a series of "and then this happened... and then this happened..." after the tv show budget has run out with a book and a half left of story to tell.

SNL ought to do that sketch in between Trump takedowns

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:the final episode will be GRRM sitting by a fire, looking into a camera, narrating a series of "and then this happened... and then this happened..." after the tv show budget has run out with a book and a half left of story to tell.

SNL ought to do that sketch in between Trump takedowns

they already passed on my Game of Trumps sketch, where Trump sits on the Iron Throne, and brags about making the White Walkers build the wall, etc.
that's the real reason Trump won. thanks SNL.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 am

wow. the shortest episode yet ends up being quite a show. the second half was chocked full of significant developments propelling the story forward much more than we are used to seeing in a single episode along with our first hint of an attraction between John and Dany. not sure what to expect there, since within the context of the show that pairing would not be "wrong", but would probably be too much for audiences to be comfortable with.

a little nitpick about the end of the episode...Bronn dives into Jamie to save him from being toasted, taking him off his horse and knocking him into the water, which you would think would be a few feet deep considering his horse was in just a few inches of water when it happened....but when they hit the water and start to sink we are shown that the water is many feet deep. :o :?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am

i'm gonna cry the first time a dragon dies.
you know jon's not gonna die (he already died once, it would be redundant) and dany's not gonna die, at least not this season. jaime and cersei are gonna stick around for a while more at least too. but one of those dragons is dead meat.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 pm

I don't know, I don't think it will happen this season. the only way I see a dragon going down is in the big finale against the Night King

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 pm

I agree with Peven. Or along similar general lines. Saving a Dragon death for the finale.

Dany will have learnt not to be so complacent after what this battle with Bronn has taught her. So it will be a while before something bad happens to one of her babies after she will take greater precautions from now on.

If Bronn hadn't used that first huge arrow on that guy chasing after him he would have had a 3rd arrow to take that dragon down maybe. What you guys think? When that Dragon had regained it's control it was right in front of Bronn, only he had nothing left to fire at it. Dragon could have been a sitting duck.

After a slow build up this episode made it's mark by the big battle at the end. It's what redeemed what otherwise was a bit non event instalment for me. Those Stark characters can get a bit boring for me to be frank.

This episode ended with a feeling of disappointment - but in extreme compliment to the show. As I was left so exhilarated and in such high anticipation for what would come next, and with the sinking cliffhanger, that I was just so gutted when the credits came up and I knew I had to wait another 7 days for the continuation. Damn I wanted that high excitement to keep going!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 pm

apparently you guys have never heard of Chekhov's Gun.... or Chekhov's Ballista, in this instance.

you don't introduce a major plot device unless it's going to have significant impact on the story. it would be dramatically pointless to introduce a dragon-killing weapon and not have it actually kill a dragon. sure, it played a role in this episode, but i don't think a minor wound to Drogon's shoulder quite counts. he took worse damage coming to Dany's rescue at the fighting pits. Dany is already aware of his vulnerability after that episode. so while that shot was a reminder her dragons aren't completely invulnerable, it's not the real wake-up call she needs. they wouldn't have introduced this weapon this season unless it was intended to serve its dramatic purpose this season.

Dany's arrogance and overconfidence has been getting the best of her since arriving in Westeros, and the best way to shatter that hubris and humble her is to lose one of the things that is dearest to her from the very first season, one of the very things her identity is built upon, as the mother of dragons. of all the characters in this show, dany is the only one so far who hasn't suffered a truly devastating loss yet. khal drogo came close, and her unborn child, but losing one of her dragons would be the first time she really felt that kind of deep loss that every other character in the show has suffered already. she's overdue. plus, it also establishes a parallel between cersei and dany, as we've now seen cersei lose all 3 of her children over the course of the show, and the effect it has had on her, we would then see the contrast with dany losing one of her own 3 children. if she doesn't lose a dragon until the final episode of the series, then we never truly see how it affecst her. it has to happen this season, so that there is ample time in the final season to portray the impact that has on her character.

furthermore, the Night King doesn't have a ballista. Cersei does (well, she did... but she can certainly build another). watching Drogon turn all those Lannister soldiers to ashes, 3 dragons against the white walker army doesn't feel like a fair fight. it's possible the Night King has some other weapon that would be effective against dragons, but we haven't seen it yet (and don't talk about dragon horns to me, the tv show version of Euron doesn't have one, so that horn is probably being blown on by Lady Stoneheart somewhere in the land of Not-Gonna-Be-In-The-TV-Version-os). they've got to lose at least one dragon before that face-off occurs, just to even the odds a little more.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 am

I don't think Dragons can kill a White Walker so they're even in that regard, so I don't see The Night King having a secret weapon that will be able to kill one.

I also imagine that all 3 dragons could have a chance of surviving the whole story, and the big arrow is nothing but a dramatic threat to take away our non-suspense watching them in battle, that ultimately will be outwitted by Dany somehow.

But I think if at least 1 of the Dragons is gonna do down it won't be this season. Right now you have the next natural story progression of Dany creating some defensive action for her dragons that puts them into a place of safety before the story arc presents a way to make them more vulnerable again. I don't think that latter story stage has enough time to hit by the end of this season.

I bet you Baxter, I double bet you, that this won't happen before this season's out. I bet you 10 times your Zoner subscription charge that you should have paid me by now.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Maui on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:02 pm

I am going to be a blubbering mess if any one of these dragons die.

So, I predict Jaime will surface looking like Two-face and will become Dany's POW. I'm looking forward to some lively banter between Tyrion and Jaime.

Loved the duel between Arya and Brienne. I read some where they trained for this scene for over a month and they used stunt doubles very little in the scene. A new friendship has sparked between these ladies.

They sure are teasing us with Jon and Dany. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I don't think Dragons can kill a White Walker so they're even in that regard, so I don't see The Night King having a secret weapon that will be able to kill one.

I also imagine that all 3 dragons could have a chance of surviving the whole story, and the big arrow is nothing but a dramatic threat to take away our non-suspense watching them in battle, that ultimately will be outwitted by Dany somehow.

But I think if at least 1 of the Dragons is gonna do down it won't be this season. Right now you have the next natural story progression of Dany creating some defensive action for her dragons that puts them into a place of safety before the story arc presents a way to make them more vulnerable again. I don't think that latter story stage has enough time to hit by the end of this season.

I bet you Baxter, I double bet you, that this won't happen before this season's out. I bet you 10 times your Zoner subscription charge that you should have paid me by now.

i'll take that bet. if you lose, you admit you're really Ron Howard and change your avatar to reflect that fact.

it will be interesting to see if dragonfire is enough to kill a white walker. so far, we know dragonglass and valyrian steel can kill them. dragonglass and valyrian steel (also called dragonsteel) are both suggested to be created by or forged by dragonfire. so it would not be unusual if dragonfire could kill them directly too. it might not be coincidence that the Night King chose this time, after all the dragons had died off (or so he thought), to invade westeros. but even if dragonfire can't kill a white walker, it can definitely kill the wights who make up the bulk of the Night King's army. so dragons will be a major threat to them regardless, and having one less dragon to contend with will make for a closer contest.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:03 pm

TheBaxter wrote:apparently you guys have never heard of Chekhov's Gun.... or Chekhov's Ballista, in this instance.

you don't introduce a major plot device unless it's going to have significant impact on the story. it would be dramatically pointless to introduce a dragon-killing weapon and not have it actually kill a dragon. sure, it played a role in this episode, but i don't think a minor wound to Drogon's shoulder quite counts. he took worse damage coming to Dany's rescue at the fighting pits. Dany is already aware of his vulnerability after that episode. so while that shot was a reminder her dragons aren't completely invulnerable, it's not the real wake-up call she needs. they wouldn't have introduced this weapon this season unless it was intended to serve its dramatic purpose this season.

Dany's arrogance and overconfidence has been getting the best of her since arriving in Westeros, and the best way to shatter that hubris and humble her is to lose one of the things that is dearest to her from the very first season, one of the very things her identity is built upon, as the mother of dragons. of all the characters in this show, dany is the only one so far who hasn't suffered a truly devastating loss yet. khal drogo came close, and her unborn child, but losing one of her dragons would be the first time she really felt that kind of deep loss that every other character in the show has suffered already. she's overdue. plus, it also establishes a parallel between cersei and dany, as we've now seen cersei lose all 3 of her children over the course of the show, and the effect it has had on her, we would then see the contrast with dany losing one of her own 3 children. if she doesn't lose a dragon until the final episode of the series, then we never truly see how it affecst her. it has to happen this season, so that there is ample time in the final season to portray the impact that has on her character.

furthermore, the Night King doesn't have a ballista. Cersei does (well, she did... but she can certainly build another). watching Drogon turn all those Lannister soldiers to ashes, 3 dragons against the white walker army doesn't feel like a fair fight. it's possible the Night King has some other weapon that would be effective against dragons, but we haven't seen it yet (and don't talk about dragon horns to me, the tv show version of Euron doesn't have one, so that horn is probably being blown on by Lady Stoneheart somewhere in the land of Not-Gonna-Be-In-The-TV-Version-os). they've got to lose at least one dragon before that face-off occurs, just to even the odds a little more.

I think IF Dany loses a dragon now, to Cersi, it would be her downfall. she is already showing signs of obsession with power over Westeros. a sense of ultimate entitlement through both birthright AND overcoming suffering and hardship. if a mere mortal kills one of her dragons in a struggle for the Iron Throne she will go over the edge in her desire for revenge and retribution. If she loses a dragon to the Night King and his army of the dead than it will affect her differently, the pain will produce a more positive result being that the sacrifice will have come in service of a greater cause. I will revise my earlier statement to this; in the season 7 finale, which I think will be a battle at the Eastwatch, one of the dragons may bite the dust...er snow. that would set up a fiery resolve(see what I did there?) within Dany to defeat the Night King.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:26 pm

as rushed as this season is already, if dany and jon snow are already fighting the white walkers by the end of this season it will feel even more rushed. it seems pretty clear these final two seasons have been structured to have this season as Lannisters vs. Stark/Targaryen, and next season as Targaryen vs. White Walker. there will be some action in the North while Dany and Jon are busy fighting against Cersei... we'll see the white walkers break through the wall (they're not a real threat until they get past the Wall, so a battle at Eastmarch isn't enough of a threat) and then probably see them wiping out a bunch of wildlings and Northerners before Dany and Jon can get back to defend them, setting up the ultimate battles next season.

also, if Dany responds to the loss of one of her dragons by becoming like Cersei, then why is she any better than Cersei? having her respond to such a loss gives the show the opportunity to draw the contrast between Dany and Cersei, by showing her responding to her losses in a completely different way from how Cersei has. Dany is teetering on that edge between her ruthless Targaryen heritage and her desire to be a better ruler, and something needs to happen to push her definitively over to one side or the other. of course, we all assume she's going to end up on the good side, but this is GoT after all, there's no guarantee of that. for all we know, she could end up even worse than Cersei, and next season becomes Jon Snow vs. Dany, or even more complex, as they have to team up to defeat the White Walkers, all the while Jon Snow coming to realize that Dany could be a more terrible option than even Cersei was and having to figure out how to work with her to defeat the NIght King while also planning to remove Dany from the picture as well. Dany and Jon Snow sharing the Iron Throne and living happily ever after doesn't really feel like an honest conclusion to the show's ruthless pessimism.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jorah show up to be the voice of reason that gets through to Dany when it looks like she is becoming unstable.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 pm

damn! i can't keep up with this show!

two dead Tarlys, one pregnant Cersei, Jorah+Dany reunion, GENDRY!!!!! :shock: , LIttlefinger playing Arya, Arya vs. Sansa ALREADY, Tyrion+Jaime reunion, Dany-Cersei truce, Sam leaving the Citadel, Hound+Bros w/o Banners+Jorah+JonSnow+Davos+GingerWildlingDude+GENDRY!!!!!!! :shock: hunting party.... that's an entire season's worth of shit going down IN ONE EPISODE! this show is moving faster than Jon Snow moves back and forth between Winterfell, Dragonstone, and the Wall (apparently the trip from Dragonstone to Eastwatch takes about 3 seconds???)

btw... where the hell is Ghost? i can understand leaving the dire wolf behind when going to Dragonstone, but you're going north of the wall and leaving him behind? did this show just up and forget Ghost still exists?

Jon Snow just got totally cockblocked by Jorah. although.... it was Sam who cured Jorah, allowing him to return to Dany, so in a way, it was Sam who cockblocked Jon from porking his auntie. Jon might have some words with the future Lord Tarly the next time he sees him.

and speaking of Sam... if he wasn't so damn busy bitching about his maesters not listening him, and more time listening to the future Lady Tarly, he might've been able to respond by letting Jon Snow know who his real parents are.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:53 am

It's going to take Sam and Bran together to give Jon the whole story on his lineage, and that will be one awesome knowledge bomb. I just hope that there's a lot of people in the room, all with ridiculous and unique reactions.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:35 am

Nothing really happened today. Better be a set up to something worthwhile.

Is something bad gonna happen to Bronn as Cersei knew what he was up to?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Nothing really happened today. Better be a set up to something worthwhile.

Jon's legitimacy, Cersei is pregnant, Jaime is increasingly being torn between siblings, Jon (with help of The Hound) grouped the Brotherhood with his crew, Arya got played and is taking sibling rivalry to extremes, Sam's on the road, Jorah! Gendry! Stop!.....Hammertime!
Plenty happened!

I think with Bronn, Jaime is seeing his sister descend into paranoid madness. He won't let Cersei do anything to him openly, and it sounded like she was pressuring Jaime to punish him. I think (okay, hope) that if he dies, it will be a selfless sacrificial act - something that his Season One self would piss himself laughing at. The darker (likely) possibility is that Cersei kills him out of fear that Jaime trusts him more than her.

Only two more this season and 9 total to go! :shock:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Fievel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Nothing really happened today. Better be a set up to something worthwhile.

Jon's legitimacy, Cersei is pregnant, Jaime is increasingly being torn between siblings, Jon (with help of The Hound) grouped the Brotherhood with his crew, Arya got played and is taking sibling rivalry to extremes, Sam's on the road, Jorah! Gendry! Stop!.....Hammertime!
Plenty happened!:

No action.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 pm

i doubt Bronn is really much of a concern at all to Cersei, obviously Qyburn's 'little birds' found out about the Bronn-Tyrion plan to meet with Jaime (and how did Tyrion even get in touch with Bronn? in an earlier season of this show, just arranging that meeting would have taken place over a few separate episodes, here it's not even mentioned) and he was telling her about it when Jaime first came to see her (that whole "what's he doing here?" "he's the hand of the queen" part). so she knows that anything else Bronn might have planned, she'll hear about it well before it happens. i doubt she considers him much of a threat, and she's got bigger fish to fry.

it could even turn out that that arrogance is what ultimately leads to her downfall. when cersei goes down, it might not be jaime or dany or arya or jon snow who takes her out. it might be some really small, seemingly insignificant person she's slighted and now overlooks out of pride. it would be a fitting end for her, as she devises her grandiose plans, for some little forgotten detail to emerge out of the woodwork to take her down... perhaps a little detail named GENDRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Jon Snow is dragon-friendly. that makes three characters who have touched a dragon and lived. Dany. Tyrion. and now Jon. significant? if it is then it is bigly significant.

irritated by the show teasing the reveal of Jon's true parentage, though at least this week gave us enough info to surmise that Jon is no Snow, but a legitimate Targaryen and true heir to the throne.

harkening back to Rob's decision to behead the head Costark I am reminded of how poor decisions by leaders come back to haunt people on this show, and I compare Rob's misstep there to Dany flambéing the Tarlys, and so I am now less expectant that she will see the final credits, especially combined with the new knowledge about both Jon's birthright and his natural ability to interact with dragons.

I am not so sure that Arya isn't gaslighting Littlefinger into believing she is falling for his attempt to drive a wedge between she and Sansa. sure, he's sneaky, but she was trained by the Many-faced Man. we'll see, I've got my fingers crossed that Littlefinger has underestimated her and Arya will be his demise.

I think Cersi is going to fuck Bronn up...royally :wink: , and that will increase the pressure of the divide between Cersi and Jaimie. I'd bet $ that either Bronn doesn't see the end of this season or escapes and runs to Tyrion, depends on what the symbolism of his bag of gold being dumped onto the ground is supposed to mean, i'm guessing the former.

of those who went north of the wall, on a mission I think is fucking stupid btw, who will not make the trip back? who will perish during the season finale at Eastwatch? the brotherhood is toast, and maybe The Hound will make a heroic exit but I have a feeling they'll want to bring him back for the final season to get their money's worth from his character after "resurrecting" him.

they didn't make a point to show us but are we to assume that all party members are equipped with either Valerian steel or weapons made of the newly minded dragon glass?.

is there going to be any friction between Jorah and Jon due to the fact that Jon carries the Mormont family sword that was bound for Jorah's scabbard before he ran afoul of the King's justice?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Peven wrote:is there going to be any friction between Jorah and Jon due to the fact that they both wanna bum Dany?

Fixed.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Peven wrote:is there going to be any friction between Jorah and Jon due to the fact that they both wanna bum Dany?

Fixed.

that, too

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Jorah's all like, "the land north of the wall is cold, but there is no land so cold as the friend zone. winter is coming... but i'm not."

Jon has Valerian steel, Dondarrion has that flaming sword they showed in next week's preview, presumably that can do some hurting on a white walker... i'm guessing tormund's got some kind of dragonglass weapon by now. but last we saw the Hound, he just had an axe or something, Jorah's got nuffin, and GENDRY!!!!!! :shock: has that big non-Valerian-Steel hammer. so they're not all equipped for a white walker, but you only need those things for actual white walkers, the wights can be damaged by normal weapons, so if all they're doing is trying to capture a wight, they don't necessarily need white-walker-killing weapons. though they'd probably come in handy if and when they encounter an actual white walker.

but they left their best weapon behind, so i repeat.... where the fucking fuck is GHOST!?!?! ok, jon presumably left him behind in winterfell to see dany, but considering the trip from dragonstone to eastwatch only takes a few minutes by rowboat apparently, how many extra seconds would the sidetrip to winterfell have really taken to pick up the wolf?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:43 pm

why is Ghost their BEST weapon? he is mortal, non-magical, and last I knew his teeth and/or claws aren't made of either dragonglass or Valerian steel. unless Jon can warg into him to use him as some sort of scout I don't see Ghost as the invaluable weapon you seem to. it wasn't as if Summer was all that successful in fighting against a mass of undead wights.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:39 pm

since Summer's purpose in fighting the wights last season was to let Bran get away safely, i'd say he was VERY successful against them. do you think Jon and his Valerian sword could've done better? Summer purposefully stayed behind and sacrificed himself to save Bran's life... and he was fighting while trapped in a confined space, where he was at a huge disadvantage. on open land, where the dire wolf's speed and agility could be put to use, they are much more dangerous. hopefully Jon and his men won't be dumb enough to follow any white walkers into a cave.

Ghost might not be able to kill a White Walker, but his fangs and claws are just fine against the wights. Ghost has already fought and killed wights, at least one-on-one. he survived north of the wall on his own a long time. he's proven he can handle himself against the dead. and as for Jon warging into Ghost, it's already happened.... in the books.

furthermore, the dire wolves can sense/smell the dead at a distance. if you're going out to track down a wight, having a wolf who can track them might come in handy, dontchathink? leaving him behind is kinda like going out to hunt foxes and leaving the bloodhounds behind. not to mention having an early warning system should the dead try to sneak up on the party while they're camped out.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:06 pm

I didn't say he wasn't valuable, just not the MOST. I can also see how Jon would not take him to Dragonstone not knowing that he was going to be making the trip to Eastwatch from there, and probably wishing that he had Ghost with him once he realized he was going to be going north of the Wall but not wanting to take all that time to make the trip to Winterfell to get him.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Well I've just watched episode 6, it sets up the best episode of the show yet.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial