GAME OF THRONES

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

GAME OF THRONES

Postby Nordling on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:57 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion!

Anyone else read these books? HBO is perfect for this series.
Last edited by Nordling on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:59 pm

The formation of scree is often a result of frost heaving, one of the physical weathering processes that slowly wear mountains down. During the day, water can flow into cracks and crevices in the rock. If the temperature drops sufficiently, for example with the onset of evening, the water freezes. Since water expands when it freezes, it forms a powerful wedge which can eventually break out pieces of rock. A repeated cycle of freeze-thaw can lead to significant erosion and most of the loose rock or scree slopes so common in the mountains have been formed in this way.

They'll need all the luck they can get!!!
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Yeah, kick a guy when he's down. I tried to fix that in Edit to no avail.

Heh!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm the worst spellist in the worlds, i can't believe i did it to be honest, but i did it anyway... sorry...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Can someone fill me in on this series? The first time I heard about it was when "Game Informer" ran an article on the top 10 licensed games we want to see.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:19 pm

Basically, it's a huge fantasy epic involving 7 different families spread out all over the country trying to claim the throne. Lots of battles, political intrigue, familial infighting, and a little magic and even some dragons thrown into the mix. It's very adult, and don't get too attached to some of the characters.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:21 pm

Hmm, thanks. It does have HBO series written all over it, I'll give it that.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Carolian on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:22 pm

Love love love the books. Absolutely classic stuff. I definitely can't wait for the series to start.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby VegasRon on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 pm

Does anyone have any up-to-date info on this project? Oh, and IMDBPro can die in a fiery fire. This is, by far, my favorite fantasy series. But with HBO nixing Preacher for being too violent (though I bet that has more to do with the religious angle than violence), I've just become suddenly worried about the status of Martin's excellent work.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: HBO's "A Song of Ice and Fire"

Postby Starks on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Things are still progressing :D albeit slowly, but given the snail like pace martin releases these books at if HBO were to start filming for next season they would catch up to Martin before he finished the story :

from George RR Martin's blog

http://grrm.livejournal.com/
September 9, 2008

I have some exciting news to share.

(But please, guys and gals, don't get TOO excited. This is what it is, and so far that's all it is, so don't make any assumptions).

HBO has just exercised its option, and purchased the television rights to A GAME OF THRONES.

For those of you who don't know Hollywood, an option gives a production company the right to buy a property (a book, a screenplay, whatever) at a certain agreed-upon price for a certain period of time (a year, six months, whatever). When that time runs out, they can let the option lapse, renew the option, or exercise the option and buy the property. The last is what HBO has just done.

What they have NOT done is greenlight the project. A GAME OF THRONES remains in development. They're still budgeting, still looking at locations (Spain and the Czech Republic at present, I hear). No decision has been reached, so any celebration would be premature. In Hollywood it is always best not to assume something is going to happen until it actually happens.

Even so... this is a very encouraging sign, and one that suggests a continued high level of enthusiasm and commitment for A GAME OF THRONES at HBO.

So keep your fingers crossed.

Interesting that the are looking at Spain and the Czech Republic. I thought NZ would get a look in due to various environments available within short distances, but Europe would have the advantage of having real Medieval castles to use as backdrops.
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 am

Well, this is just a rumor right now, but Peter Dinklage may be signing on to play... some character whose name I can't remember:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40001

To the people who've read the books, is this good news?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby zane on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Yes I've read them. They are very long winded as well as simply long, and not particularly satisfying. Most of the characters are not likeable or interesting. I'm always shocked at how little closure there is at the end of every book until I discovered that Martin intended each one to be only pieces tot he big puzzle. It's like watching 30 minutes of a 2 hour movie every few years. He may be a good writer but not a very good storyteller.
zane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby hassman on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Read the books. Great series. Martin is a fantastic writer. Unlike some fantasy writers, he's not afraid to kill characters or move the story along. I for one am hoping that this project isn't dead and HBO gets moving on it. But Hollywood is Hollywood and it moves at the pace it does.
hassman
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:28 pm

Here's some news you guys should like:

HBO to film TV pilot in Northern Ireland
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Werthead on Wed May 06, 2009 10:02 am

Here's some news you should like even more:

Peter Dinklage cast as Tyrion Lannister.
Last edited by Werthead on Wed May 06, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out The Wertzone for SF&F book, TV, movie and game reviews.
Werthead
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Werthead wrote:Here's some news you should like even more:

Wait, I... what?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed May 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Werthead wrote:Here's some news you should like even more:

Wait, I... what?

Thank you.
I read that earlier today... clicked the link... and was immediately confused.
Hell of a first post though...?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Confused Pete on Wed May 06, 2009 7:41 pm

i don't know what you two are babbling about. makes perfect sense to me.

tosh... toshirolash?
Confused Pete
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Werthead on Wed May 06, 2009 11:20 pm

Hmm. How embarassing. I put it down to unseemly excitement at this casting news. And fixed the link (* facepalms *)
Werthead
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Thu May 07, 2009 12:02 am

Confused Pete wrote:i don't know what you two are babbling about. makes perfect sense to me.

tosh... toshirolash?

The Return Of Pete!!!

The Zone always needs more Confused Pete... but where's the av?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Werthead on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Excited rumours that Sean Bean has been cast as Eddard Stark. No official word from HBO yet.
Werthead
GLIB

Postby Starks on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Casting Update:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 13cf46b0d9

According to the Hollywood Reporter, two time Tony-winning actress Jennifer Ehle has been cast as Catelyn.

As of now the acting writing and directing talent attached to the show is:

Writers: David Benioff (Troy), D.B. Weiss and George RR Martin (he will write one episode a season).

Director: Thomas McCarthy (The Station Agent, The Visitor)

Another dozen or so major roles are to be cast over the next 8 weeks, with filming of the pilot to commence in October.
Last edited by Starks on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Nice update, Starks! Thanks!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby VegasRon on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:53 am

Good work, Starks.

I am seriously jonesing for this, my all-time favorite literary work (is King of Hyperbole a rank?).

Now if they'd just make WWZ an HBO/Showtime dealio...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby swoop91 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:58 pm

I am just starting to reread ASOIAF after more than 7 years since I've picked up The game of thrones for the first time.

What I find interesting is that I feel joy, sorrow and anger all mixed up when I remember what happened and what will be of all
characters that I find close and appealing as well of characters I hate and dislike and how do they all turn out.

Also, I give you internet video as a gift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:53 pm

I am unsure how I feel about this...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby VegasRon on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I am unsure how I feel about this...

How can you be anything but estatic? An HBO series was the only way the books could get justice.
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:03 pm

VegasRon wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I am unsure how I feel about this...

How can you be anything but estatic? An HBO series was the only way the books could get justice.

I know! I am just always afraid to get my hopes up...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Starks on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Further Casting update:

With production to start on the A Game of Thrones pilot on the 24th of October, the final pieces of casting are being announced.

Jason Momoa (Star Gate: Atlantis) announced during a convention in Melbourne, and it has been since confirmed by HBO, that he has landed the role of Khal Drogo. He is of Native Hawaiian and German-Irish anncestory and is 6'4" (1.93m) tall, giving him the required look.

UK child actor Isaac Hempstead-Wright has been cast as Bran Stark.

A trio of actors have also announced (via Twitter, personal website, etc) that they will be filling the roles of the three characters from the prologue:

Jamie Campbell Bower as Waymar Royce
Broson Webb as Will
Richard Ridings as Gared

In the strongly rumoured department:

Joseph Mawle has (probably) landed the role of Benjen Stark.

Ron Donachie is said to be playing Rodrik Cassel.

Ian McNeice may be playing Illyrio Mopatis

and Donald Sumpter has been rumoured to have landed the role of Maester Luwin

------------

Characters that have been cast:

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark - Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell

Jennifer Ehle as Catelyn Stark - Wife of Sean Bean's Eddard Stark. Originally betrothed to Ned's older brother, but when the older brother was killed she fulfilled her duty by marrying Ned, securing an alliance between their two houses.

Richard Madden as Rob Stark - Eddard Starks 2nd oldest child. The legitimate heir to Winterfell.

Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark - Eddard Starks 3rd child and oldest daughter.

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark - Eddard Starks 4th child.

Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark - Eddard Starks 5th child, second in line to the throne of Winterfell behind his older brother Robb Stark.

Kit Harington as Jon Snow - Eddard Starks eldest, but bastard, child.

Joseph Mawles as Benjen Stark - Eddard's Starks younger brother, and the First Ranger of the Night's Watch

Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy - The son of Balon Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands. Was taken hostage and made a ward of Ned Stark after Balon's attempted rebellion ten years earlier.

Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel - Master-At-Arms of Winterfell.

Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin - Maester of Winterfell and trusted advisor to House Stark.

Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon - King of the Seven Kingdoms, who took the Iron Throne after he crushed the royal House of the Targaryens in a bloody civil war 15 years earlier

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister - The Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and twin sister to Jaime Lannister.

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon - The oldest son of Robert Baratheon & Cersei Lannister, heir to the Iron Throne

Rory McCaan as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane - Bodyguard of Prince Joffrey Baratheon.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jamie "Kingslayer" Lannister - Twin Brother of Queen Cersei. A member of the Kingsguard. Also known as the Kingslayer as he killed the old King Aerys Targaryen during the civil war 15 years earlier.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister - A sarcastic and cynical dwarf, younger brother to the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei Lannister and her twin brother Jamie Lannister .

Harry Llyod as Viserys Targaryen - The exiled and bitter heir of the royal dynasty that once ruled the Seven Kingdoms.

Tamzin Merchant as Daenerys Targaryen - Younger sister of Viserys Targaryen. Alongside her brother she lives in exile.

Iian Glen as Jorah Mormont - An exiled knight, Daenerys Targaryen's most trusted companion.

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo - A rich and powerful horselord of Dothraki.

Ian McNeice as Ilyrio Mopatis - A wealthy and powerful Magister in the Free City of Pentos.

Jamie Campbell Bower as Waymar Royce - A member of the Night's Watch sent out on a ranging mission.

Bronson Webb as Will - A member of the Night's Watch sent out on a ranging mission.

Richard Ridings as Gared - A member of the Night's Watch sent out on a ranging mission.

Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:15 pm

Winter is coming, bitches! Yee-haw!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Determinator on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 pm

I guess this give me time to read these books! Will be interesting to see this, compared to the other big fantasy series based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.
Determinator
GLIB

Postby Werthead on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:42 am

BEWARE OF THE ODD SPOILER

Well, that was a fun few days. I flew over to Northern Ireland to see GRRM and some of the castmembers doing a book-signing at Easons in Belfast on Tuesday followed by an informal party in the evening.

From left to right that's Ron Donachie (Ser Rodrik Cassel), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Richard Madden (Robb Stark), with GRRM seated. More photos of the signing and the evening party can be found here.

The signing was packed. Someone at the bookstore said they weren't expecting too many people and for it not to take too long. My estimate was well upwards of 100 people showed up and it took well over an hour to clear the queue. GRRM introduced himself and Matt Hughes, who wrote an excellent story in Songs of the Dying Earth, and they mostly signed copies of that book, although many copies of ASoIaF were also presented for signing. George also introduced the castmembers who had arrived: all of the above plus Rory McCann (Sandor Clegane) who was on his way to the studio so could only stay for a few minutes.

GRRM took great delight in telling everyone that Richard Madden (Robb) had just won the 'Best-Dressed Man in Scotland' competition, whilst Alfie Allen (Theon) jumped the queue to get his own copies of the books signed.

As for the castmembers, Richard had read all of Book 1 but no further (though he knows his character's eventual fate); Kit Harington (Jon) had reached Book 4 and was happy with all the stuff Jon gets to do in the third book; Maisie Williams (Arya) and Sophie Turner (Sansa) had not read the books at all but were being fed edited highlights by their mothers; Alfie Allen had reached Book 2 and was happy to see Theon become a much bigger character; and Ron Donachie (Rodrik Cassel) had 'devoured' all four books in just a few days and was now bugging George by asking when the fifth book is out.

Everyone was brilliant. The actors weren't behind a desk, they just milled around in the back corner of the store, chatting to fans, signing books and posing for pictures. They were all really relaxed. I get the impression Alfie was very happy to be talking about himself and his job rather than fielding tedious journalist questions about his celebrity dad/girlfriend/sister. He told me he liked boats and was looking forward to those parts in Book/Season 2. I'd previously been skeptical over his casting as he doesn't look anything at all like I'd imagined Theon, but his attitude and good humour won me over. I think he'll be great. He and Richard Madden had a great double-act going which seemed appropriate given their characters are best friends.

If GoT goes to series, Richard Madden is going to be its biggest break-out star, I think I can comfortably predict. I can see the fansites going up already. He was tremendously outgoing, tried to make sure he had a word with every fan who stopped by, joked around with 'his little sisters' and so on. All my female friends seemed very taken with him (at least there was much giggling and requests for photos with him). He seemed convincing as Sean Bean's son and I think he's going to be a great Robb Stark.

Kit Harington was quite quiet and subdued, as he'd just come off three 17-hour days in a row. He was shattered, but posed for pics, talked to the fans and was happy to talk about the filming of the scenes with the direwolf pups, which were apparently very small and cute. The girls hadn't acted with them (no scenes of them and their pups in the pilot) but were looking forward to it in the series.

Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams were awesome. They were very convincing as sisters and both seemed to embody their characters: Sophie was doing great PR work, talking to fans, signing yet more books and being as diplomatic and friendly as Sansa is in the books, whilst Maisie seemed to take great delight in tormenting the boys (Alfie in particular). She turned very serious when discussing her character and interestingly said to another fan that whilst Sansa cried on the outside a lot in the first book, she thought Arya did her crying on the inside, which was a very astute observation (especially as she only had limited info to go on: the girls' mums thought the books a little too adult for them to read in full just yet). She also did a "Stick them with the pointy end!" for another fan, which was excellent.

Ron Donachie was very laidback and professional, full of excellent actors' stories, including some about filming Titanic with James Cameron which were very funny, such as one time where the cameramen thought they didn't have the right lighting to film a scene in the water, so Cameron got annoyed, grabbed a handheld and just waded out to do it himself. I was going to ask him about his recent appearance on Doctor Who, but erm, forgot. He was the most experienced actor present and I thought would be more reserved, but seemed to enjoy the experience of meeting the fans very much. He thought the books were excellent and wanted the chance to tell Rodrik's full story across the first two books/seasons.

GRRM himself was his normal friendly self, signing the books people brought in, assuring them that ADWD is looking good at the moment (more than that in another post) and so on.

PART 2:
Picking up where I left off before, we returned from the signing to the hostel to freshen up before heading to McHughes, the pub where the party was to be held. Despite a slight signage hiccup ("GRRF AND FRIENDS") it was great. We got the large basement bar to ourselves, which comfortably fitted the 60-70+ people who showed up.

The attendance was similar to that at the signing: we lost Kit and Alfie, who were too worn out by filming, but gained Esme Bianco, who plays 'Ros', a lady of negotiable affection in King's Landing. Esme did some autographs and photos for fans eager to 'get the full set' and explained her role in the series to some book fans who hadn't been keeping up to date on the casting news. I think we settled on the idea being to give Tyrion a 'more HBO introduction' than he had in the books.

An American fan from Kentucky who'd been visiting Ireland took advantage of the occasion to propose to his girlfriend (she said yes), and they promptly were congratulated by GRRM and the castmembers, which was very cool.

I spent some time talking to Maisie and Sophie's parents, who were almost as enthusiastic and excited about the show as their daughters. They'd attended the cast read-through and reported that the rest of the actors are all terrific as well, taking time to especially praise Tamzin Merchant as Daenerys who obviously has a very challenging role but did a great job at the read-through.

George worked the room, sitting with each table of fans in turn, talking to everyone and discussing the books, the TV show and his other projects. He confirmed that ADWD is now well over 1100 pages long in manuscript and more is required. He didn't want to give out any dates, but indicated he didn't see the book getting as long as ASoS (almost 1600 MS pages). He also indicated that getting events to happen at the right time and in the right order to make sense compared to AFFC and the following books is part of the 'Meereenese Knot' problem, but he is working away at it. Someone asked if his blog post about his sword bouncing off the knot and cutting his nose off was a reference to Tyrion and he laughed and said that fans read way too much into every little thing he says.

It may be worth bearing that in mind during the next bit of news: at one point, whilst talking to everyone from the stage bit at the front of the pub, GRRM said the show was not greenlit yet, it's just a pilot and a lot of pilots don't make it to series, but he also said that HBO might give them a one-season order or maybe even a two-season order. He also expects to hear about the series by March. Whether that's HBO saying they'll make the decision in March or that's merely the latest time they'll decide (I was thinking January myself, based on some recent pick-ups they have given, but obviously GRRM is far better-informed) wasn't clear, but that was the first indication of a timescale involved.

The actors were great, continuing to sign books for people who'd missed the signing earlier that day and chatting to people. Ron Donachie turned out to be a fan of the New York Jets which GRRM was taken aback by (American football has a following in the UK, but not a very large one) before promptly jumping into a detailed American football discussion with Ron.

The actors had a 5am call the next day, so left reasonably early. Because it had been a fairly early start to the meet, we were left in the highly unusual state (for SoIaF fans anyway) of everyone deflating at around 10pm. Luckily, we were buoyed up by the arrival of Julia Frey, who is an effects supervisor on the project. Julia had (somewhat briefly and quickly edited) blogged about some very early work on the show, bringing her to the attention of the fans of Winter is Coming and Westeros.org, but she was diplomatically circumspect on her current work on the show (seriously, she has a terrific poker face). Eventually we gave up trying to get intel on the show and ended up listening to Julia's great stories about working on Alien 3 and other projects. Very cool stuff. She also has a funny website on safety graphics here.

And then it was time for everyone to go home. It was an excellent trip, some new friends were met and made, the cast were universally excellent and the buzz about the production was palpable. Nothing is set in stone and the series may not yet be commissioned, but I am firmly convinced that the the series is in great hands.
Werthead
GLIB

Postby Werthead on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:57 pm

HBO have given Game of Thrones a significant display of confidence, reporting that the footage they have seen so far is fantastic, that the performances are impressive, the budget they gave the pilot was huge (possibly the biggest of any show since Rome, if the $10 million figure is correct) and that they would be very surprised if they now didn't commission it.

They even went as far as to give a potential airdate: if Game of Thrones is picked up they will air it in March or April of 2011.

Final news on the series is expected in March this year.
Werthead
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 pm

w00p w00p! HBO orders a full season of A Game of Thrones:

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-greenlights-game-of-thrones-.html

So far they've only filmed the pilot, but according to the article they plan to do another 9 or 10 episodes
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Starks on Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:15 am

Further Casting update:

With production of the 10 epsiodes order for Season 1 to begin in earest over the next 4 weeks, casting (and re-casting from the Pilot in some cases) for season 1 roles has been announced at a constant pace in recent times.

Filming of Westeros scences have moved production from Morocco to Malta.

Roles Recast from the Pilot Episode (Scences to be reshot):

- Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark - Jennifer Ehle played this role in the Pilot, which has since been recast.

- Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen - Tamzin Merchant played this role in the Pilot, which has since been recast. Clarke is a relative newcommer to acting, but has some clips on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtjeDEectH8&feature=related,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxAPXnsXXfc&feature=related

- The three Prolouge roles of Waymar Royce, Will and Gared have also been recast.

Newley cast Roles:

- Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish - Gillen is an Irish actor, best known for his role as Councilman Thomas Carcetti on seasons 3 - 5 of HBO's "The Wire".

- Conan Stevens as Gregor "The Mountain That Rides" Clegane - Conan Stevens is a 7ft+ tall Australian actor who has mostly starred in Asian productions to date.

- John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
- Jerome Flynn as Bronn
- Conleth Hill as Varys
- Kristian Nairn as Hodor
- Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon
- Susan Brown as Septa Mordane
- Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
- Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen
- Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn
- Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle
- Finn Jones is Ser Loras Tyrell
- Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

Season 1 Roles yet to be cast:

- Tywin Lannister

------------

Characters that have been cast:

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark - Warden of the North and Lord of Winterfell

Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark - Wife of Sean Bean's Eddard Stark. Originally betrothed to Ned's older brother, but when the older brother was killed she fulfilled her duty by marrying Ned, securing an alliance between their two houses.

Richard Madden as Rob Stark - Eddard Starks 2nd oldest child. The legitimate heir to Winterfell.

Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark - Eddard Starks 3rd child and oldest daughter.

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark - Eddard Starks 4th child.

Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark - Eddard Starks 5th child, second in line to the throne of Winterfell behind his older brother Robb Stark.

Kit Harington as Jon Snow - Eddard Starks eldest, but bastard, child.

Joseph Mawles as Benjen Stark - Eddard's Starks younger brother, and the First Ranger of the Night's Watch

Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy - The son of Balon Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands. Was taken hostage and made a ward of Ned Stark after Balon's attempted rebellion ten years earlier.

Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel - Master-At-Arms of Winterfell.

Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin - Maester of Winterfell and trusted advisor to House Stark.

Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel - Captain of the Guard at Winterfell.

Miltos Yerolemou as Syrio Forel - The former First Sword of Braavos, is hired by Lord Eddard to train Arya Stark at swordplay.

Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn - Sister of Catelyn Stark, who married Jon Tully, Overlord of The Vale

Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon - King of the Seven Kingdoms, who took the Iron Throne after he crushed the royal House of the Targaryens in a bloody civil war 15 years earlier

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister - Wife of the King Robert Baratheon, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, and twin sister to Jaime Lannister.

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon - The oldest son of Robert Baratheon & Cersei Lannister, heir to the Iron Throne

Rory McCaan as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane - Bodyguard of Prince Joffrey Baratheon.

Conan Stevens as Ser Gregor "The Mountain who Rides" Clegane - A huge knight who is the elder brother of Sandor Clegane. He is known throughout the seven kingdoms for his size, cruelty, and prowess in battle.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jamie "Kingslayer" Lannister - Twin Brother of Queen Cersei. A member of the Kingsguard. Also known as the Kingslayer as he killed the old King Aerys Targaryen during the civil war 15 years earlier.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister - A sarcastic and cynical dwarf, younger brother to the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei Lannister and her twin brother Jamie Lannister .

Jerome Flynn as Bronn - A sell-sword with a sardonic sense of humor.

Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell - Known as the "Knight of Flowers", is a highly skilled knight and jouster.

Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon - Lord of Storm's End, the youngest brother of King Robert, and Master of Laws in the Small Council

Roy Dotrice as Pycelle, Grand Maester of the Seven Kingdoms - A member of the Small Council, the ruling body of advisors to the King of the Seven Kingdoms.

Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy - Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Aiden Gillen as Lord Petyr Baelish - Nicknamed "Littlefinger," is the Master of Coin in King Robert Baratheon's Small Council, the ruling body of advisors to the King of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

Conleth Hill as Lord Varys, the Master of Whisperers - Is the royal spymaster and a member of King Robert's Small Council.

Harry Llyod as Viserys Targaryen - The exiled and bitter heir of the royal dynasty that once ruled the Seven Kingdoms.

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen - Younger sister of Viserys Targaryen. Alongside her brother she lives in exile.

Iian Glen as Jorah Mormont - An exiled knight, Daenerys Targaryen's most trusted companion.

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo - A rich and powerful horselord of Dothraki.

Ian McNeice as Ilyrio Mopatis - A wealthy and powerful Magister in the Free City of Pentos.

Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon - The old and blind Maester of the Night's Watch.

James Cosmo as Jeor Mormont - The 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Estranged father of Ser Jorah who gave up his lands to serve the Night's Watch.

Derek Halligan as Allister Thorne - A bitter, hardened drill instructor at Castle Black, the Night's Watch main fortress.

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly - The elder son and former heir of Lord Randyll Tarly. A brother of the Night's Watch.

Francis Magee as Yoren - A recruiter for the Night's Watch.

Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 am

Some of this casting is brilliant. Are HBO going to film the pilot ep again with the new cast? Oh and Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger is sodding perfect.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:09 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Some of this casting is brilliant. Are HBO going to film the pilot ep again with the new cast? Oh and Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger is sodding perfect.

I think they are just redoing the scenes that need it. Not the whole episode.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:50 am

that's a HUGE cast. i have a feeling this show could end up being very confusing with that many characters to keep track of.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Starks on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 am

TheBaxter wrote:that's a HUGE cast. i have a feeling this show could end up being very confusing with that many characters to keep track of.

I wouldn't worry about it. As anyone who has read the 4 already released books would know, that cast list reads more like an obituary. Anyone that has issues with characters being killed off in shows should give A Game of Thrones a wide berth, deaths occur frequently and no character is safe!
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby VegasRon on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Just in case anyone missed this tidbit last week:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46487
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Werthead on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 am

New 60-second trailer.

Looks pretty good. They've changed Alfie Allen's hair colour since the pilot, so now he looks a lot more like Theon. There's also some nice shots in the trailer like Tyrion slapping Joffrey for being disrespectful and Jaime getting ready to kick some ass.

There's a whole bunch of other behind-the-scenes videos on the official making-of website.
Werthead
GLIB

Postby geekgrrl on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 am

This is probably the first time that an upcoming show has prompted me to go out and read the book series it was based on.

http://lostinreviews.com/2010/12/lip-tv-edition-game-of-thrones-extended/
http://lostinreviews.com/ For those of us who live outside of normal
geekgrrl
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Werthead on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 am

New trailer. Warning! Contains awesome.

Any chance a moderator could change the thread title to GAME OF THRONES, otherwise people won't have a clue what we're talking about here :)
Werthead
GLIB

Re: HBO's "GAME OF THRONES"

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Kakow! (New trailer)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/

April is sooo close. Hard to believe this is finally happening.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: HBO's GAME OF THRONES

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Seemed like forever and now we can say NEXT MONTH . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 pm

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS

HBO Issues First Two Episode Descriptions For GAME OF THRONES

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48884
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby swoop91 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:39 am

every time i watch this i Jizz in my pants
swoop91
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nice Marmot on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:00 am

Just an FYI, there are some behind the scenes/introduction type shorts on HBO on Demand. They cover things like the storyline, costume design, introducing the Starks, Lannisters, etc . . .

And some kind of a more extensive preview is coming on April 3rd . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:05 am

Tonight . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:23 pm

swoop91 wrote:every time i watch this i Jizz in my pants

And on that note, sticky'd!
Ribbons