Dresden Files

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Dresden Files

Postby JackKnight on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Well, just watched my tivoed episode from last night. Couldn't we have done a bit better for a pilot of a new series? An hour long ep that really doesn't do much to intro the characters. Other than Harry's flashbacks, almost everything else is introduced through either dialogue or narrative. We really didn't get to meet anyone.

Pro's:
Paul Blackthorne is well cast. I like him as Dresden. Let him be a bit more of a smartass and make him a bit smarter.

I liked the flashbacks

Cons:

Alot of departure from the book series which I felt were unnecessary.
A jeep? Where is the Blue Beetle?

Harry's powers screwing up technology. Thought it was a great plot point and one that makes Harry interesting

Bob is the ghost of a former dark wizard? Meh! Where is Bob the Skull. Why isn't Bruce Campbell the voice of the sex obsessed spirit of intellect?

There are more of both but this is what I was able to come up with. I'm hoping that this series improves with time. I think the source material has some great stuff to offer. Hopefully they will delve into that and spice up the writing a bit. Right now it's just a retread of The Nightstalker with a little Buffy thrown in.

My two cents.

What did you all think?
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:56 pm

i was somewhat underwhelmed. i had hoped for more after seeing the commercials. still, i will tune in for a few more weeks to give it a chance to get its legs before dismissing it.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Strabo on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:30 pm

The first episode was....ok. I wasn't really thrilled with it, but, whatever. I'll keep watching for a few weeks to see if they can put a great episode out there.

The sad thing is that the future of BSG may depend on the success of this show. Sci-fi needs something, anything, to pair with BSG, so they have a solid block of good programming. Even though the shows are very different tonally, they kind of had that when BSG was on after the Stargates. The shows' audiences reinforced each other. When you have just one show, no matter how good it is, and it's followed, or preceded, by some crappy Sci-fi channel movie, or a rerun, the ratings are going to suffer. Witness BSG sans Stargate.

For that reason alone, I'll continue watching this thing, and hoping that Wolfe and Beimler can make a great series out of it.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MacCready on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:01 pm

Peven wrote:i was somewhat underwhelmed. i had hoped for more after seeing the commercials. still, i will tune in for a few more weeks to give it a chance to get its legs before dismissing it.

Seems like a poor man's Angel.
Just didn't engage me, despite the lead being well cast.
Didn"t care for the Bob character either, despite Mann being a pretty decent actor. I blame whoever wrote his character. Just didn't feel.....right.
I'm sure that made a lot of sense.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 pm

What's this show about, exactly? I've seen the ads on websites (no commercials) and was curious.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby MacCready on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Its about to be cancelled.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:39 pm

Hahaha.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 am

The show isn't all that bad. The main actor has pretty good presence and they could do some cool stuff with the premise. Hopefully, the show hits a groove soon. I love the idea of a genre show set in Chicago. I saw my apartment building twice already!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial