TCM and its new... classics...?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

TCM and its new... classics...?

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:29 pm

For those of you who watch TCM, I was a bit curious. Are they still showing only 'classic' films?

Just the other day or so I saw Groundhog Day on there. I love the movie, but I dunno if it can be called classic even by diehard Bill Murray fans.

Also, I was going thru the listing for the next few days and I saw that they're airing Billy the Kid versus Dracula and Jesse James meets Frankenstein's Daughter. Camp classics perhaps..... What does this mean to all of you? Is TCM just desperate for more viewers, and maybe trying to ring in the 'geek' crowd or are they trying to be brave by showing something completely different?
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 pm

I think they're just opening up the channel to diff kinds of films (modern, cult classics) which is cool. Rob Zombie has his TCM Underground now that shows cult films like the ones on Friday nights.

Classic is kind of a broad term, I see it as something that is of its time and that has a good fanbase.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:57 pm

And there's only so many times you can air "The African Queen." You do have to start expanding the range of "classic."

Although I wouldn't include "Groundhog Day" in there, seems like the cutoff should be the 80's at least.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Well theres classics from every decade. I just wouldnt put Groundhog Day in there.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: TCM and it's new......classics...?

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 pm

SilentBobX wrote:For those of you who watch TCM, I was a bit curious. Are they still showing only 'classic' films?

Just the other day or so I saw Groundhog Day on there. I love the movie, but I dunno if it can be called classic even by diehard Bill Murray fans.

Also, I was going thru the listing for the next few days and I saw that they're airing Billy the Kid versus Dracula and Jesse James meets Frankenstein's Daughter. Camp classics perhaps..... What does this mean to all of you? Is TCM just desperate for more viewers, and maybe trying to ring in the 'geek' crowd or are they trying to be brave by showing something completely different?

i think they are being true to the concept of a movie-lovers channel. it isn't "the old fart B&W channel". and yeah, i think Groundhog Day is a classic. i have no problem with TCM embracing different genres of film and not being stuck up and snobbish.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Dark Knight on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:38 pm

at least they show films without commercials unlike AMC

(I think that's still true...)
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby cinephile2000 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:52 pm

I think Groundhog day is a classic a new classic. It will last for some time.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:08 pm

Remember TNT's new classics they started it off right with films like Shawshank and like four or five other good ones but now its become crap....
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:10 pm

To be fair though Billy the Kid vs Dracula etc is on their block of TCM Underground which is only for schlock/cult films. Much like how they broadcast animated shorts on Saturday mornings or Silent Films late Sunday early Monday morning.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:37 am

Man, Groundhog Day is in the National Film Registry. It deserves to be. That movie will live forever.

TCM shows some good ones. I just checked their schedule for tonight. FUCK! I missed Die! Die! My Darling!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:40 am

Coldfire24 wrote:Remember TNT's new classics they started it off right but now its become crap....

You mean Legally Blonde isn't really a new classic?!?!?!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:43 am

Dark Knight wrote:at least they show films without commercials unlike AMC

(I think that's still true...)

It is. I hate AMC. And 80% of the commercials they show are for AMC!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby The Thin Man on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:45 am

TCM really do need to expand their range of films - especially here in the UK. I remember when I first got it and was watching it at least once a week. Now I hardly ever watch it because it is the same films on constant rotation. Anyway, ones mans classic is usually another man's over rated crap.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:20 pm

I love TCM. Saw a great Cagney movie on there called THE MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES where he played Lon Chaney. It was a little bit sentimental but Cagney was great in it.

Sometimes a movie on there just sneaks up on you and kicks your ass. and thank God, no commercials, and letterboxed too!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:24 pm

Plus, in February, lots of Oscar winners from years past. Check the schedule.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:25 pm

TCM is awesome for the most part, they have a nice range of films.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:26 am

Agreed Nord. Loved that film. One of Cagney's best. Now if TCM would just show something really kickass I've never seen before....maybe something from the Italian Horror trio of Argento, Bava or Fulci. Pipe dream, I know. But it's a good pipe dream. I've been watching the trailers on youtube and I must say I'm hooked. I do want to see more but w/out buying a shitload of them. I'm working on expanding my repetoire of film I"m used to.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:29 am

They've shown Bava, but I dont think Argento, Fulci. I'd love to see some classic Giallo Cinema on TCM.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:07 am

TCM and AMC are possibly the two best channels, but AMC does get annoying with the commercials, I'll watch movies I own on TCM but if one comes on AMC I'll get the DVD out instead.

TCM is great for flicks I never got a chance to see. I just watched look who's coming to dinner on TCM indemand. The indemand for it is great cause I can watch the stuff anytime I want and I love the selection. Great stuff.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby austenandrews on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:10 am

TCM is always a classic. I love the scene where Leatherface comes out of nowhere and clobbers that guy.

I really like Turner Classic Movies, even/especially when they show old B movies. My 8-year-old son digs the old B&W SF flicks. It's funny to see him perk up when Robert Osborne comes on.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:13 pm

The Thin Man wrote:TCM really do need to expand their range of films - especially here in the UK. I remember when I first got it and was watching it at least once a week. Now I hardly ever watch it because it is the same films on constant rotation. Anyway, ones mans classic is usually another man's over rated crap.

How right, Thin Man. I remember seeing some great classics on TCM several years ago, including silent movies. I even managed to watch a copy of the ultra-rare He Who Gets Slapped, a silent masterpiece starring Lon Chaney, which a friend had taped off there (unforgivably, he scrubbed it :x ). But over the past few years, it's like you say, the same movies shown again and again and again....
Unfortunately, FilmFour is going the same way since it abolished it's subscription and went free. Occasionally, you'll see the odd great movie, but for the most part it's just repeating the same films week after week. Pity.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:34 pm

Speaking of great films on TCM, Broadway Danny Rose was just on and now: La Dolce Vita! 8)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:29 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Speaking of great films on TCM, Broadway Danny Rose was just on and now: La Dolce Vita! 8)

Ah, La Dolce Vita's worth watching for Anita Ekberg's fountain scene alone....
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:45 pm

Talk about HOT! :shock:
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:00 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Talk about HOT! :shock:

Hot enough for spontaneous human combustion! :wink:
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:02 pm

Those Italians sure know how to live! Hot Babes, Great Food, Great wine, Great Cinema!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:04 pm

Speaking of B movies, this is fun.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Return to Coaxial