Who do you save, Cannell or Bellisario?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Who you gonna save?

Stephen J Cannell
40%
Donald P Bellisario
60%

Total votes : 15

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:54 pm

Its Sophie's Choice all over again. Except it doesn't involve the Third Reich, it involves what I approximate to be 50% of your childhood TV Viewing.

You're on a dinghy and have room to save just one more person - the year is 1970 and your choice will deprive future TV schedulers of a series on easy decision re late saturday afternoon tv slots.

Who you going to save?

Stephen J Cannell (The A-Team, Rockford Files, assorted episodes of Hunter)

Donald P Belisario (Airwolf, Quantum Leap, Magnum PI)

Its a conundrum, because for me The A-Team was the daddy of all these shows - but in terms of pure quantity, its Bellisario that had the more impressive portfolio.

Even so, I'm saving Cannell.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Balisario all the way: Quantum Leap was like crack.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Stevey Cannell all the way.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Oh boy....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Cannell
+ves - The Rockford Files, The A-Team, Quincy, good company logo
-ves - Renegade, The Greatest American Hero

Bellisario
+ves - Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica, Airwolf. He met Lee Harvey Oswald.
-ves - Quantum Leap's final season, the gayness of MagnumPI, JAG

It still kinda ends up a draw. But Bellisario once worked for Cannell, so without him you wouldn't even have Bellisario.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:08 pm

I'm with Bellisario.

Even if QUANTUM LEAP was all he ever did, I'd save his ass.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:12 pm

Cannell is the man. Everyone knows that. Bellasario has a couple good shows, but without Stevie our childhoods wouldve never had Rockford Files, A Team, Greatest American Hero, Riptide, Hardcastle and Mccormick, Wiseguy etc.

Theres no contest here.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:13 pm

If you can find him, you may even be able to hire him.....
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Cannell. I watched the A Team. I never watched Quantum Leap.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:46 pm

I liked Quantum, but I didnt play Quantum Leap in my backyard everyday after school. I did play alot of the Cannell shows. Those shows were part of my childhood, very special times. We should all salute Mr Cannell for his great TV work too.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:52 pm

minstrel wrote:Cannell. I watched the A Team. I never watched Quantum Leap.

But you would probably want to watch QUANTUM LEAP (and a wide assortment of other time travel drama) before embarking on the greatest adventure of your life to transport back to 1970, where you would end up being forced to make the decision about who to save on the dinghy. So it's safe to assume that when faced with the decision, you would have all of the proper information about Donald P.

On the other hand, someone like me who never really watched A-TEAM, HUNTER or THE ROCKFORD FILES would have no particular impetus to finally catch up with those shows before submitting myself to time travel. So in the heat of the moment, Donald's getting on the boat, Steve is perishing in a watery grave.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:56 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
minstrel wrote:Cannell. I watched the A Team. I never watched Quantum Leap.

But you would probably want to watch QUANTUM LEAP (and a wide assortment of other time travel drama) before embarking on the greatest adventure of your life to transport back to 1970, where you would end up being forced to make the decision about who to save on the dinghy. So it's save to assume that when faced with the decision, you would have all of the proper information about Donald P.

On the other hand, someone like me who never really watched A-TEAM, HUNTER or THE ROCKFORD FILES would have no particular impetus to finally catch up with those shows before submitting myself to time travel. So in the heat of the moment, Donald's getting on the boat, Steve is perishing in a watery grave.

This, of course, is not logical at all. I would not prepare for a time travel adventure by watching a TV show about time travel. I would prepare for a time travel adventure by drinking heavily and trying not to think about physics.
minstrel

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:57 pm

BTW, it's obviously the fact that we travel back in time that causes the disaster that puts the lives of Cannell and Bellisario at risk in the first place, since there was no disaster without us going back. The noble thing to do, and more importantly, what would cause the least amount of damage to the established timeline, would be to sacrifice YOURSELF so that both Cannell and Bellisario can go on to complete their lives' work.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:02 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:BTW, it's obviously the fact that we travel back in time that causes the disaster that puts the lives of Cannell and Bellisario at risk in the first place, since there was no disaster without us going back. The noble thing to do, and more importantly, what would cause the least amount of damage to the established timeline, would be to sacrifice YOURSELF so that both Cannell and Bellisario can go on to complete their lives' work.

No way! If I travel back in time, then I have a time machine. I rescue one, then go back in time to when the other hadn't died, and rescue him too.

Then I use the time machine to go back to the future when I'm legal drinking age. And thongs have been invented, and there are pictures of girls wearing them all over the internet, which has also been invented.
minstrel

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:07 pm

minstrel wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:BTW, it's obviously the fact that we travel back in time that causes the disaster that puts the lives of Cannell and Bellisario at risk in the first place, since there was no disaster without us going back. The noble thing to do, and more importantly, what would cause the least amount of damage to the established timeline, would be to sacrifice YOURSELF so that both Cannell and Bellisario can go on to complete their lives' work.

No way! If I travel back in time, then I have a time machine. I rescue one, then go back in time to when the other hadn't died, and rescue him too.

Then I use the time machine to go back to the future when I'm legal drinking age. And thongs have been invented, and there are pictures of girls wearing them all over the internet, which has also been invented.

Okay, you can try that, but then that means when you save, let's say, Cannell, the first time, then you'll end up seeing yourself transporting back to save Bellisario. And theories abound on the danger of running into yourself in the past.

Also, we can assume that you don't have a time machine that you can take back with you when you transport, like the DeLorean, otherwise the whole conundrum about who to save in the dinghy wouldn't have arisen in the first place. Unless you had the DeLorean stashed somewhere on the coast and couldn't access it the first time through.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:10 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I didnt play Quantum Leap in my backyard everyday after school.

I think it'd take a while to find a friend willing to play Al.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:19 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Okay, you can try that, but then that means when you save, let's say, Cannell, the first time, then you'll end up seeing yourself transporting back to save Bellisario. And theories abound on the danger of running into yourself in the past.

I follow the Austin Powers theory on this. I just don't worry too much about it. Austin went back in time to save his girlfriend and interacted with himself just fine.
minstrel

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:21 pm

You better hope so, for your sake and the sake of the entire space-time continuum.

Of course, I may be overstating the case. The damage may be limited to just our own galaxy. (That's a relief.)
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:35 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:You better hope so, for your sake and the sake of the entire space-time continuum.

Of course, I may be overstating the case. The damage may be limited to just our own galaxy. (That's a relief.)

The entire space-time continuum will get along just fine. Sheesh - to think that a whole space-time continuum would be bothered by just little old me going back in time a puny 37 years and mucking about for a few minutes, then coming back, is nonsense. This sort of thing happens all the time. Relax, willya? Spacetime isn't some kind of house of cards waiting to get blown down by the first stray breeze. Spacetime is damn solid and stable. It has to be - it's been around a while. Heck, it's probably still under warranty.
minstrel

Postby Doc Holliday on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm

I love the direction this thread has taken (even if both producers have long since drowned) - nice work Raul & Minstrel...makes for some very funny reading :lol:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:45 pm

:D
minstrel

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Bellisario. Quantum Leap was fanfuckingtastic. I cried my eyes out at the end of the last episode. So very very very good. Even if the evil time travellers was stretching it. Hell QL was SO good I even gave Enterprise a full season before gving up on it solely because of Bakula.

The A-Team, yeh it was fucking outrageously cool but it never made me cry.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby wonkabar on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Airwolf.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:44 pm

This:

Fried Gold wrote:Cannell

Bellisario
+ves - Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica, Airwolf. He met Lee Harvey Oswald.
-ves - Quantum Leap's final season, the gayness of MagnumPI, JAG

It still kinda ends up a draw. But Bellisario once worked for Cannell, so without him you wouldn't even have Bellisario.

should read this:

Fried Gold wrote:Cannell

Bellisario
+ves - the gayness of MagnumPI, Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica, Airwolf. He met Lee Harvey Oswald.
-ves - Quantum Leap's final season, JAG

burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:21 am

The only Cannell show I've ever watched is the A-team and it gets pretty dry after you get past Mr. T. I'd let the fucker drown and get eaten by sharks and then vomitted up by said sharks if it would save Belisario and allow me to watch Dr. Samuel Beckett leap through time with his trusty sidekick, Al.

When I watched that One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest episode of Quantum leap, where Sam lept into the body of a nut casse and all the other retards could see him and he got the electro shock therapy, I think I got my first erection. Then the episode after that, Sam and Al fuckign switched places! It was amazing. I also dug Magnum PI, so Cannell should definitely die
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Bellisario. Quantum Leap was fanfuckingtastic. I cried my eyes out at the end of the last episode. So very very very good. Even if the evil time travellers was stretching it. Hell QL was SO good I even gave Enterprise a full season before gving up on it solely because of Bakula.

The A-Team, yeh it was fucking outrageously cool but it never made me cry.

Very good call, Tony. I weep every time I watch the final episode, and the other episode where Al gets to dance with Beth (his first wife and true love.) I'd save Bellisario even if the only thing he ever made was the final episode of QL--although much of what makes it so great is how it caps off the series and puts everything we've seen so far in a new perspective.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:39 pm

You guys cried at the end of Quantum Leap? What a bunch of wusses! lol.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Matthew 21:35 wrote:RaulMonkey wept.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:00 pm

minstrel, were you born yet in 1970? 'Cause if we go by the RUNNING AGAINST TIME theory, a given body can't exist in two places in the same time period for very long.

When buddy went back to try to prevent the assassination of JFK (so that JFK would stay alive to bring the troops home from 'Nam, thereby saving buddy's brother) he came to realize that his younger self was suffering in the hospital with some mysterious illness, and that he had to eff-off back to the present real quick or else die as a boy.

I WASN'T born yet in 1970, so I'd perhaps be a better candidate for the mission in the first place, just in case the RAT theory turns out to be true. So, STEVE CROAKS!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Michael Mann.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby minstrel on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:02 am

RaulMonkey wrote:minstrel, were you born yet in 1970? 'Cause if we go by the RUNNING AGAINST TIME theory, a given body can't exist in two places in the same time period for very long.

When buddy went back to try to prevent the assassination of JFK (so that JFK would stay alive to bring the troops home from 'Nam, thereby saving buddy's brother) he came to realize that his younger self was suffering in the hospital with some mysterious illness, and that he had to eff-off back to the present real quick or else die as a boy.

I WASN'T born yet in 1970, so I'd perhaps be a better candidate for the mission in the first place, just in case the RAT theory turns out to be true. So, STEVE CROAKS!

I was born in 1961. I know that makes me ridiculously long in the tooth on this forum, but there it is.

:)
minstrel

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:15 pm

I reckon you're right up around Dennis and monorail, but you don't best His Holiness himself, Teh Vicar!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:13 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:I reckon you're right up around Dennis and monorail, but you don't best His Holiness himself, Teh Vicar!

Frakking ay!
I AM the Ancient Zoner.

I'd rather be The Best Hung Zoner, or the Getting So Much He Can't Stand It Anymore Zoner, but we play with the toys the gods give us.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:01 pm

The Vicar wrote:I'd rather be The Best Hung Zoner, or the Getting So Much He Can't Stand It Anymore Zoner, but we play with the toys the gods give us.....

Plus, the Dino, he's alla ready beaten you to a the punch, eh? Only... Best a Hung, she donna mean a the same thing a when a you're almost 90, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Re: Bellisario's Quantum Leap

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:44 am

io9:
The 14 Weirdest Quantum Leap Episodes of All Time
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial