The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Best. Show. Evar?

You're goddamn right it is, nothing else touches it
62%
It's good, but I wouldn't go overboard with the praise, buddy
27%
Run-of-the-mill stuff
5%
Just another shitty cop show
6%

Total votes : 108

The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:54 pm

I was reading the Entourage TB on the Main site and an arguement started about whether or not The Wire is the best TV Series ever, I would have to agree, it took me a while to get into it but I have never seen another Drama, TV or Film, with such well rounded characters all painted in such deviant shades of grey. The three season story Arc with Stringer Bell was pure class. McNulty is a Struggling Background Artist but I can't help but love the guy.

What are you hoping for in season 4, I'm seeing Bodie taking centre stage in the Projects, for me he is the real heart of the show, hopefully eventually his story will play out like Tony Montanas. What about Bubs, do you think he'll be clean & sober?

So many great characters I've hardly even scratched the surface, maybe we'll get to see whats going on down at the docks? Or maybe we'll see Chester "Ziggy" Sobotka in prison or the whereabouts of The Greek?

What about Omar Little? Do you like the guy or not? He sure has some great moments.

I can't wait for season 4 to start, anybody know when HBO is due to start airing it?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:57 pm

I saw a few episodes and thought it was good, but I never truly got into it. It started back when I was going through all the Homicide DVDs and I just couldn't get into a second cop show at the same time. Maybe now I'll give it a real chance.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:51 pm

I have watched a couple of episodes that I barely remember. It didn't seem like anything happened. Or maybe I dreamed the whole thing.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Burl, you proberly remember correctly, nothing really happens that you think is important for ages, then suddenly all the pieces fall into place and you're hooked. I gave up on it the first time I watched it, but thats because it was nothing like what I was expecting. Basically the whole first season is one case, told not just from the POV of the Cops but also all the different inhabitants of the Projects, from the users, pushers, dealers, rival gangs, crooks & Bosses. I urge you to give it another try if the prospect sound appealing. One of the best characters is a pump action shotgun weilding crook ( the projects very own Robin Hood) who happens to be G@y.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:01 pm

I heard good things from JL about this so I went ahead and bought the 1st series. It's class. Takes a long game approach to it's story telling and wether this is a good or bad thing you need to make a commitment to it and watch all the episodes in order. You can't just drop in on it part way through. Maybe that's a fault but I like the idea. Treat it like a novel.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:58 pm

John-Locke wrote:Burl, you proberly remember correctly, nothing really happens that you think is important for ages, then suddenly all the pieces fall into place and you're hooked. I gave up on it the first time I watched it, but thats because it was nothing like what I was expecting. Basically the whole first season is one case, told not just from the POV of the Cops but also all the different inhabitants of the Projects, from the users, pushers, dealers, rival gangs, crooks & Bosses. I urge you to give it another try if the prospect sound appealing. One of the best characters is a pump action shotgun weilding crook ( the projects very own Robin Hood) who happens to be G@y.

Okay, mate. Once I am salaried again I will check it out on DVD.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:13 pm

Omar is my fave character on a TV show, like, ever.

A g@y, ruthless yet not without heart, coldblooded killer with a pretty progressive employee manual (give me your gangbangin' women, g@ys, poor) who is the most bad-ass cat in da hood. One of the most fascinating characters ever created not only for TV but in all of fiction.

I can understand the gripes that people have w.r.t the show. When I rented it, I was taken aback by the pace, the amount of characters the show introduced, the lack of fancy camera moves and showboat editing. But it got me. Sucked me in by episode 3 and I was hooked.

Strong acting all around (West plays Mc-Nutty so damn well you might think this is a documentary at times; I, um, have a crush on Idris Elba after this and "Ultraviolet", Kima, Daniels, Bunk, Freamon...oh fuck, the whole damn cast).

Utterly brilliant, "keeping it real" writing (from a former journalist in the Baltimore area (Simon), a former police detective (Burns) and the always strong Richard Price) that always, no matter the how despicable the character, invites your empathy rather than outright scorn.

So, um, yeah, I like the show. I won't go so far to say best show ever, but that's some damn good TV. WHEN THE FUCK IS SEASON 3 COMING OUT ON DVD?!?!?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:54 pm

Omar Little is has some totally badass moments in season 3, I'm sure you'll change your opinion on the Wire's greatness once you see season 3. Season 3 focuses on the projects again, no more Dock's at all.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:53 pm

I liked "The Wire" when I used to watch it. But I just couldn't stay interested, however it did remind me of the greatest tv drama ever: Homicide.

Now that was a fucking awesome show. And yet another one I wish I could own on DVD. Damn my beautiful idealism that forced me to become a teacher! Damn it to hell!
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:31 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:I liked "The Wire" when I used to watch it. But I just couldn't stay interested, however it did remind me of the greatest tv drama ever: Homicide.

Now that was a fucking awesome show. And yet another one I wish I could own on DVD. Damn my beautiful idealism that forced me to become a teacher! Damn it to hell!

One of my three rules of dating: No Teachers. :P
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:50 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
lyra belacqua wrote:And yet another one I wish I could own on DVD. Damn my beautiful idealism that forced me to become a teacher! Damn it to hell!

One of my three rules of dating: No Teachers. :P

Dare I ask? What are the other two?
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:56 pm

No black sneakers.

No Catholics.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby lyra belacqua on Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:02 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:No Teachers.

No black sneakers.

No Catholics.

I'll credit you where I can, but I'm totally stealing these rules.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:11 pm

HAHahHAHH@H@H@H
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby dark wesley on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:36 am

i think that without doubt it is the best television series of all time, got caught by all the stuff they used to write about it in the guide in saturdays guardian in dear old blighty from whence i hail, bought season 1, quickly snapped up season 2 and now am jonesing so much for some season 3 touch that it is crippling me emotionally.
give it your time and paitience, watch it on dvd that way you can do a few hours at a time and you cant help but love it. well thats just my opinion anyway.
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Neo Zeed on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:52 am

It's a good show, but things unfold in such a way that I kind of forget to tune in each week.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby dark wesley on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:56 am

i know what you mean, i think that could be its one failing is that, it has a complexity which is possibly too much for one hour viewings a week apart, thats why it is such an enjoyable programme to watch in 3 or 4 episode blocks. you can appreciate the differing characters and story threads while they remain fresh in your mind
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Colonel on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:06 pm

Not sure if I'd call it the best show EVER but it's on the short list. It is EASILY the best cop/crime show of all time.

It IS a novel. Stuff is set up in one ep that isn't made clear 3-4 eps down the line. Characters EXIST, shaded characters who change and grow over all three seasons. Omar, Stringer, McNutty, Bubs, Kima, Bunk.

Season 4 starts in September, a long way off, and promises to address the educational system in the way that season 2 did the working class, season 3 did the political structure.

I think Marlo will take centerstage with Avon and String gone. McNutty is gone.

I LOVE Lt. Daniels. I love the show, and I LOVED season 2, with Frank Sibotka and Nicky and Zig. Quite different from the first season but just as fascinating and well done. And it was great to see the patience the writers have with letting the links to Season 2 develop, at an almost painfully slow pace, until Season 3 puts the projects back at the nexus.

The Wire owes debts to a lot of crime shows, from Hill Street to Blue to Homicide. But thanks to its place on HBO, it has surpassed them all.
Writers write: www.intrepidmedia.com
The Colonel
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby jgraphix on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:19 pm

You know, I started to watch this, got 2 eps into it and was bored outta my skull.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:23 pm

I love this show along with Deadwood its my favorite.The way they went from the projects in season 1 to the docks in season 2 was brilliant.

It does play out like a great novel.I think alot of that has to do with George P Pelecanos coming aboard as a story advisor.He's one of my fav crime authors and his style reflects on The Wire.

The next season will deal with the educational system and more inner city politics.I got a chance to hang with some of the cast awhile back.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Colin on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:23 pm

Best show ever made in the history of existence by humans.
Colin
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:52 pm

oh hell yeah! The Wire is easily the best and most realistic cop show ever made. it's brilliant, really...

it's weird for me watching it too, because the 'hood in that show is EXACTLY the same as North Philly where I teach. the section of North Philly i'm talking about was referred to as the Badlands back in the late 80s, early 90s. it made national news as one of the most dangerous places in the country. its still way fcuked up, but marginally better... i suppose... i mean, there are still random shootings and crack zombies and heroin bullshit going down in and around there... it's serious shit... and the kids i teach, they're young, but they get groomed for "the life" pretty early... its kinda heartbreaking actually...

anyways, The Wire is pretty much the only cop show that shows both sides and doesn't dumb down the truth... i love it...

a great companion piece to THE WIRE is THE CORNER -- a book and made for HBO movie. i think THE WIRE may actually be a spin-off of THE CORNER, but i'm not sure... they're both set in Baltimore and deal with similar issues, though THE CORNER is more focused on the people in the neighborhood and not so much on the cops...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:30 pm

Yeah The Corner was great sort of a prelude to The Wire.And its from the same creative team as The Wire.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby dark wesley on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:43 am

i guess no one knows when season 3 is going to be released in dvd?
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby jmub on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:50 pm

Yep. Could not agree more. With this and the Sopranos, HBO has some of the best Tv series ever made.

I am a huge fan of season 1 of the wire. Season 2 is good but not as brilliant as season 1 & 3.
jmub
GLIB

Postby Carolian on Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:00 am

Looks like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel after all:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4575
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Praetor on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:50 pm

Is it better than The Shield?
Praetor
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 20, 2006 8:54 am

So, I was going to post this in "what have you been watching" but I figured seeing as we have a thread especially for this show, and that I'm going to talk about season 1 and 2 as well as 3, that I would put it here.

I also want to bump this to see if we have any fans from the newer guys and to answer Praetor's question: FUCK YES.

Positively peppered with spoilers from here on in.

Well, I've seen all the episodes now. First of all let me say I need this back soon, it's more addictive than WMD!!!
I know season 4 is going to be about the School system and more City Hall. Will Carcetti be Mayor, or will we see the campaigns and election? I'm sure Dennis Wise's boxing club will be back and that his ex who's now a teacher will feature much more prominently. Marlo must be expanded on, he's so compelling, it's a cliche even mentioned in the show itself, but the young'uns are a new breed and Marlo seems just as if not more ruthless than Stringer and Avon. He has the willpower. With Avon, especially after Stringers demise you could see he'd lost the ambition, yeh he was wanting to war with Marlo but that was really just pride not a desire to get the corners back.
I also hope we still see McNulty, ok maybe not so prominently but to not have him in it at all would be a great shame. I truly loved this guy, his huge flaws were so like mine in someways and I could understand him completely, yeh he was a total sonofabitch, but he had the dogged determination that I see in myself. From going behind everyone's back in season 1 to Judge Phelan and spending a whole night putting murders into Major Rawls jurisdiction the man was instantly likeable while remaining a certified gentleman (sorry for the language but he is). He's the shows angry core and they shouldn't forget that.

Right on with my thoughts about the previous 3 extraordinary seasons.

Season 3, did indeed own my ass (you were damn right JL). The shows scope was expanded and you still didn't lose a goddamn moment of character progression. No-one was really sidelined depsite a whole host of other characters coming in. Carcetti's arc was probably the most interesting and informative, the back room deals of city politics was split wide open it may have shown the old staple that the whole system is corrupt, but it never feared to show that most of these politicians and aides are driven by purely selfish reason. Carcetti's ambition and ego will undermine is desire to good, I have no doubt. But Carcetti is still a very good man in some ways, he does want to make a difference, but is that just his ego (like McNulty's) telling him he's the smartest guy in the room and that he can fix this shit? Or will he remain untainted by the draw of Clay Davis (despite the evils of Avon, String, Marlo, The Greek etc, I still find Davis to be the most despicable coldhearted bastard in the whole show).
I think he's definitely going to the dark side, yes he wresteld with his conscience about setting up his friend, but he still did it, D'Agostino is easily able to manipulate him with careful ego massaging, an interesting side note is that she tries the same trick with McNulty in the restaurant trying to get info on Bunny Colvin and he totally sees straight through her, McNulty has the incorruptible nature Carcetti just doesn't have, despite their many similarities.

There were too many beautiful moments with Freamon this season, from his bitchslapping of Jimmy to his total badass pimp role when he went undercover the man is just pure class through and through. He was one of the best things to discover in season 1, some crotchetey old man who made his dolls furniture while quietly solving the cases most difficult problems. His re-awakening to being real po-lice as he guided Prez (more on him in a second) from deadweight to indispensable team member was a joy to behold, it done with such subtelty and economy of exposition. And Prez his growth from a man totally let down by the police bureacracy into someone who'd loved his job and made a difference, his fate was beyond tragic and to think that there will be nearly all the police who remember him as nothing but a joke.

The themes that run through all the season are anger, anger at a system so rotten and dysfunctional, through pure selfish greed and corruption to the stupidity of the "war on drugs" and how it just ruins any possibilty of actually dealing with the problem. Yes Hamsterdam was no doubt hell on earth, but that hell is always here, jus tbecause it's spread out and hidden doesn't mean it's ok. Something the Deacon couldn't grasp, and neither could Herc. Loyalty is also a major theme, from Stringer's betrayal (which in a way is more pure that Avon's bullshit about "family) of D'Angelo and his Mother. To Kima's loyalty to the job causing her disloyatly to her girlfriend. Even how the public demands loyalty from its public figures in their private lives (Lt Daniels and his wife) is examined.

The show is just so huge, I could literally write for hours and not be finished, I know I'm doing a disservice to Bunk or Bubbles or Omar or many others by not mentioning them, but hopefully this will spark some good debate and it might encourage more people to watch this beautiful, angry, tragic show.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Sat May 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Man I need to watch this whole show again (which I was planning on doing before season 4 starts anyway), reading that I've obviously forgotten a lot of stuff and more importantly names.

No mention of Bodie? I've always seen him as one of the most important characters, seeing how far up the ladder he'll go and how ruthless he'll become is a big draw for me.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 20, 2006 1:38 pm

John-Locke wrote:Man I need to watch this whole show again (which I was planning on doing before season 4 starts anyway), reading that I've obviously forgotten a lot of stuff and more importantly names.

No mention of Bodie? I've always seen him as one of the most important characters, seeing how far up the ladder he'll go and how ruthless he'll become is a big draw for me.

Yeh, I'm going to rewatch all 3 season at the end of the summer before 4 in september, thanks very much for persuading me to get the first season JL. Greatest show in the history of the world.

Ah, and damn, I meant to mention Bodie when I was talking about Marlo and the young'uns. He is very important, still too hot headed, but he's gonna be more than a soldier imo, he looked up to Bell and in a way that's made him a smarter guy, not just some "no count nigga" like Poot.

How about when he kills Wallace in season 1? My word, isn't that just one of the most horrific yet fascinating things you ever saw? The beginning of a cold blooded killer.

Do you think McNulty will be back? His final moments suggest his thirst for the "big case" has gone and he wants to be a regular guy now. But do you really think he could handle just being a beat cop? for his personal life I hope so, for my personal satisfaction I hope not.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Sat May 20, 2006 1:55 pm

I've heard McNulty wont be back but not seen it confirmed anywhere, I really hope he does return as he's the lifeblood of the show, not sure it'll be the same without him.

One of my favourite Wire moments was when McNulty drink drives and crashes his car not once but twice, that was when I knew I was watching something unlike anything I'd ever seen before. The Main character is basically a loser douchebag.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 20, 2006 2:05 pm

John-Locke wrote:I've heard McNulty wont be back but not seen it confirmed anywhere, I really hope he does return as he's the lifeblood of the show, not sure it'll be the same without him.

One of my favourite Wire moments was when McNulty drink drives and crashes his car not once but twice, that was when I knew I was watching something unlike anything I'd ever seen before. The Main character is basically a loser douchebag.

Oh, man, I hope he's back if only as supporting role. Like you say he's the lifeblood. The angry core.

And yeh the car crash was beyond good TV. He's a total Struggling Background Artist, like he says at the end of season 3 maybe what makes him such a good cop is what makes him such a lousy human being. And I still think Sergeant Jay (the real studly detective who makes fun of Bunk's "lawyerly affectations") sums up McNulty best, when he tells Rawls that McNulty obsessed with his own smarts, he wants everyone to crowd round him and cheer, but the determination that breeds is what makes a lot of people hate him.

I think the moment I knew this show was like no other came in when Omar went to court to testify, here's a Dumbledore gangster more pure and noble (in his own way) than anyone else in the entire show and he goes head to head with Levy the lawyer and best him in an argument. There was just something so deliecious about it all, especially the "I am the American Dream" t-shirt.
Oh and of course when we see Rawls in the Dumbledore bar in season 3, I had to pause the show for about 5 minutes I was just so blown away I had to have a short rest.
TonyWilson

Postby dark wesley on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:29 am

I just want to say that I am fucking overjoyed that season 3 has now got a realese date on DVD! Thank ye gods, i thought it would never happen.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:33 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24077

McNulty is back MOTHERFUCKER'S!!!!!

Yes yes yes. Omar too. Also, it looks like Prez is going ot be back but in the school system not the po-lice. It's the best show ever made (even better than Deadwood) and it's back in a month.

I demand a sticky for this thread.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:15 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I demand a sticky for this thread.

you and Locke's fanboy jizz have certainly earned it.

non-torrential wankers like myself have the 3rd Season to look foward to on DVD, starting Tuesday, YAY!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:27 pm

You have about four weeks left to catch up with the best show ever made people, if you don't watch this show you deserve to burn in hell for missing out on one of the greatest stories ever told ever. I can only compare its level of genius to a Kubrickian classic, it's that damn good.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:30 pm

its good, but its not as good as Deadwood. :P :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:45 am

Season 3 in a word...superb.

over @ HBO's web site they've got a great preview of season 4 set to "Ball of Confusion". Looks like they're going to focus on 4 yoofs and the trials and tribulations of attending the Baltimore public schools. Prez is back (teaching?!), the race for mayor is explored, Omar jacks Marlo at a card game...ya' know, the usual ho-hum, yawn, best drama on TV type stuff.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chest_Rockwell on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:12 pm

The Wire is better than Deadwood. I had never watched an episode of the wire until about a month ago. Caught season 1 on HBO on demand one saturday. I had heard good things about it, but never watched it, HBO doesn't pimp it much (least it hasn't in the past).

I never watched Homicide or Law and Order or NYPD blue or any of that crap. THe last "cop" show I watched regularly was Hill Street.

But, imo, HBO is just completely on another planet from the rest of TV.

Soprano's, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, are all just complete top notch. I think McNulty is one of the best characters on all of tv right now. West does a good job playing him. The characters are all tightly constructed, and the interplay between them, is amazing.

Soprano's has been a bit of a let down lately, (from what it used to be, but still, is better than anything on network tv, save maybe lost/24 when they are on their game).

Deadwood is great, but it is so tightly focused, you don't feel the writers have much freedom, and it's only going to last one more half season. The dialogue is pure genius, and the characters are also sweet, but there's just not enough going on beyond the main issue of the season.

Rome, also great, but it's kind of hard to relate to those guys, because they are doing stuff 2000 years ago. It's more "fantasy" than any of the other shows.

No, Wire nails the realism that the Soprano's probably misses by a small bit, and has just as good writing. Maybe Soprano's has some better acting, but the overall story arcs in Wire dominate the Soprano's.
Chest_Rockwell
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:52 pm

Huge and hugely informative interview with David Simon here

Fantastic insights about the show and you get a real sene of the man and his beliefs/philosophies which feed directly back in to the show.

The first ep of seaon 4 has apparently aired already on HBO on Demand as of today so hopefully it will be er...uh... available to obtain pretty soon.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:52 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Huge and hugely informative interview with David Simon here

Fantastic insights about the show and you get a real sene of the man and his beliefs/philosophies which feed directly back in to the show.

Fanfuckingtastic, Just like The Wire being the best TV show ever, I think that interview was the greatest interview I have ever read, such insightful stuff, not just for the show but for socio, political, economic and racial issues to name a few.

Basically David Simon is a God.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:13 am

Wow that was quite a read!

I did not realize Dennis Lehane was writing for the show this season. I look forward to his episodes. Scratch that I look forward to the season in general!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby zacks19 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:56 am

This season is going to be great!
zacks19
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 am

John-Locke wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Huge and hugely informative interview with David Simon here

Fanfuckingtastic, Just like The Wire being the best TV show ever, I think that interview was the greatest interview I have ever read, such insightful stuff, not just for the show but for socio, political, economic and racial issues to name a few.

Knew you'd love it John. He answers the questions in such depth, you just don't expect that kind of honesty either.

John-Locke wrote:Basically David Simon is a God.

My sentiments exactly.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:21 pm

I'm doing it.

I'm posting the url for this thread in the Wire talkback. If you feel this is a bad move then please say so, but to be honest every wire talkback is filled with nothing but praise. I doubt we will get any trolls from me posting it. I just want more people to be able to discusss this truly stunning piece of work and not have to bitch about Herc never giving it it's own talkback.
TonyWilson

Postby doglips on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:27 pm

Goddam it JL, your AV is stretching the page.......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 am

best opening episode to a season yet.

the intro alone trumps the writing of nearly every other show...loved the tip that "Snoop" threw at the Depot drone!

I'm already weeping for "Dukie", when they reveal the squalor of his "home" I just might lose it. This season, more than any other, will hit the hardest. How can you not feel for them? How can you not be outraged at the deplorable state that both the children and the educators face on a daily basis?

The various plot lines for the season are laid bare, but, as usual with The Wire, it's the little things...Herc trying to drum up conversation with a different partner, Carver taking to heart the lessons imparted from Bunny, Sydnor losing his mind doing Prez work, the dishevelled classroom Prez enters, Norman declaring he won't vote for Carcetti, Randy's mom and her concern for her child.

and of course, the brilliant writing, the metaphor and analogies and symbolism. I mentioned the intro, and that one's obvious (hysterical, but obvious) but what really nail-gunned it home for me was the cross cutting from the Police meeting to the Teacher's meeting, brilliantly showing how the fear of terrorism is pointless for cops who deal with war zones everyday of their lives and then going on to show how the current lessons / learning plan of the educational system is hilariously outdated and antiquated.

question...did "Snoop" and Chris throw quicklime over the body they had shot? They put some substance over him, but it wasn't revealed as to just what it was. But I guess we know why the cops aren't finding any bodies...

I heart Marlo. Not as charismatic as Avon, not a man with a plan like Stringer, but he's going to be a tough nut to crack. He's still young, he'll adapt to the new police tech. Can cops get search warrants for homing pigeons?

****1/2 out of 5.

Hooked my special lady last night, big time.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:00 am

Just caught the first ep of the season, and Jesus--it makes nearly every other show on TV just look like kid's stuff, doesn't it?

Best line of the night: "Look at that bow-legged motherfucker. I made him walk like that." I missed the Bunk!
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby John-Locke on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Sweet Jeebus that was a cracking episode, I'm loving the role of the kids, each one is believable, you just know it's all going to end in tears for some of them.

In honour of Baltimores very own Robin Hod being missing from this episode I have changed my AV to help take the blues away.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:48 am

THE WIRE GETS SEASON 5!!!!

YES YES YES. The greatest show in the history of television gets to finish properly. The full 5 seasons are going to be looked back on as more than just great TV. This is going down in history with The Mona Lisa, King Lear, Ulyssess, The Wasteland, Revolver etc etc as truly magnificent art.
TonyWilson

Next

Return to Coaxial