The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Best. Show. Evar?

You're goddamn right it is, nothing else touches it
62%
It's good, but I wouldn't go overboard with the praise, buddy
27%
Run-of-the-mill stuff
5%
Just another shitty cop show
6%

Total votes : 108

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:51 am

I just got season 1 and I am three episodes in. Now the title of this thread states that this could be one of the "Best TV Series Ever"...now I was just wondering when that all kicks in. I have enjoyed the first few episodes, but it hasn't blown me away. Now keep in mind that I would like to keep it as spoiler-free as possible, but I was just wondering if its a slow build up to greatness or if I can expect a significant increase in quality soon.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:53 am

Pretty much every season starts off a tad slow, but builds up to something great. Season 1 is still my favorite, followed by season 3. You're in for some quality television, Lecko.....
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:01 am

The Todd wrote:Pretty much every season starts off a tad slow, but builds up to something great. Season 1 is still my favorite, followed by season 3. You're in for some quality television, Lecko.....

Alright thanks man. I am a bit worried because of all the hype and hyperbole. I mean "Greatest TV Series Ever" is quite the lofty claim. I have The Wire Season 1 and 24 Season 1 coming down the pipe. Should be an interesting and enjoyable weekend.

THE WIRE HIGH FIVE!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:15 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:16 pm

The Todd wrote:Pretty much every season starts off a tad slow, but builds up to something great. Season 1 is still my favorite, followed by season 3. You're in for some quality television, Lecko.....

Season 4 is my favorite. Followed by 3, 1, and lastly 2.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:23 pm

@ Lecko...

right when Lester Freamon goes from being some schmo who plays with dolls to utter and complete genius does the show truly find it's wings and take off into the lofty realms of...well, there's no television equivalent for it, so let's just say Dickensian heights of compelling drama.

but what's this season 2 bashing?

SOBOTKA 4 UNION PRESIDENT 4 EVER!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:25 pm

I like all the seasons, but if I really really had to rank them I'd put #1 and #4 at the top... #4 nearly made me cry. I can't wait for a season 5 but I felt that if they stopped the show, ending it on 4 would be very satisfying.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:25 pm

I didn't like Season 2 as much as the others first time I watched it but when I rewatched it recently I completely changed my opinion, now season 3 is my least favourite even though it blew me away on my initial viewing. Season 4 is the best though.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I like all the seasons, but if I really really had to rank them I'd put #1 and #4 at the top... #4 nearly made me cry. I can't wait for a season 5 but I felt that if they stopped the show, ending it on 4 would be very satisfying.

Nearly... be a confident man. admit you cried.

I love season 2, but Ziggy is the downfall.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Nearly... be a confident man. admit you cried.

I think I only every cried about five times in my entire life when watching something... otherwise I've been nearly brought to tears on lots of occasions, doesn't take much really and depends on my mood.

I love season 2, but Ziggy is the downfall.

He annoyed the hell out of me at first, but I grew to like/understand him over time.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:#4 nearly made me cry

erase "nearly" and replace "cry" with "bawl like a bitch who was just told her kitten was killed" and I feel exactly the same way...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

erase "nearly" and replace "cry" with "bawl like a bitch who was just told her kitten was killed" and I feel exactly the same way...

LOL, here's your confident man, stereosforgeeks.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Me too. I felt emo for a bit. Then I relaized I had friends.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:#4 nearly made me cry.

NEARLY?

I think I did shed a tear or two in the finale when Carver showed his frustration, THAT was one of the most powerful moments in anything I have ever seen because it was so well earned considering the build up throughout the season.

Add to that Bubbles attempted suicide and Bodie's death and the fact that I was ready to cry when I thought Omar was going to get shanked in prison and seeing that he was going to fight for his life until his last breath even though there was no chance in hell of him winning (I literally felt like I was about to see one of my friends murdered and you you say Nearly????

Glad you finally took my advice and got stuck into it though, do you agree it's the best thing EVER on TV?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:I love season 2, but Ziggy is the downfall.

Pacino86845 wrote:He annoyed the hell out of me at first, but I grew to like/understand him over time.

the "Dirk" Ziggler scene revealed a lot (pun intended) about the character...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:36 pm

John-Locke wrote:Glad you finally took my advice and got stuck into it though, do you agree it's the best thing EVER on TV?

I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but it's up there, certainly. :)

Ok guys, now I feel like an insensitive asshole... I'm going to rewatch season 4 while sniffing onions.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:37 pm

John-Locke wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:#4 nearly made me cry.

NEARLY?

I think I did shed a tear or two in the finale when Carver showed his frustration, THAT was one of the most powerful moments in anything I have ever seen because it was so well earned considering the build up throughout the season.

Add to that Bubbles attempted suicide and Bodie's death and the fact that I was ready to cry when I thought Omar was going to get shanked in prison and seeing that he was going to fight for his life until his last breath even though there was no chance in hell of him winning (I literally felt like I was about to see one of my friends murdered and you you say Nearly????

Glad you finally took my advice and got stuck into it though, do you agree it's the best thing EVER on TV?

Man those were some tender moments. The "shame" speech was one of the most perfectly timed, emotionally resonant monologues ever! EVAR!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Season 2 is where I realised it was the best thing ever. Ok, well "where's wallace at" is probably where I thought it was but I didn't want to give in to easily. But McNulty's car crash in season 2, that's a highlight of the entire show. And god, the Union and the Sobotka's story is brilliant it felt truly Shakepearean most specifically with Frank talking to Ziggy in prison.
But I might have to put season 4 just ahead of 2 because it has Carver, a man who didn't really care about being good police in the first 3 seasons, but then Bunny pulls him up and he turns into a great cop who truly cares, and then he's totally fucking crushed by what happens to Randy, it's heartbreaking. Yeh I have to go 4, 2, 1, 3 But they are all fucking brilliant so it doesn't really matter that much.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:39 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Ziggy is the downfall.

Chester "Ziggy" Sobotka is one of my favourite characters from the whole show, he's a legend. I felt sad for him when his duck died.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm

John-Locke wrote:

Chester "Ziggy" Sobotka is one of my favourite characters from the whole show, he's a legend. I felt sad for him when his duck died.

Yeh Ziggy is one a brilliant character, I cried when he was sitting in the car after the shooting, it just wasn't fucking fair.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Season 2 is where I realised it was the best thing ever. Ok, well "where's wallace at" is probably where I thought it was but I didn't want to give in to easily. But McNulty's car crash in season 2, that's a highlight of the entire show. And god, the Union and the Sobotka's story is brilliant it felt truly Shakepearean most specifically with Frank talking to Ziggy in prison.
But I might have to put season 4 just ahead of 2 because it has Carver, a man who didn't really care about being good police in the first 3 seasons, but then Bunny pulls him up and he turns into a great cop who truly cares, and then he's totally fucking crushed by what happens to Randy, it's heartbreaking. Yeh I have to go 4, 2, 1, 3 But they are all fucking brilliant so it doesn't really matter that much.

FN PREZ too man. Prez even turned into a great character.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:42 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

Yeh Ziggy is one a brilliant character, I cried when he was sitting in the car after the shooting, it just wasn't fucking fair.

Now that scene I loved.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:45 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:S eason 2 is where I realised it was the best thing ever. Ok, well "where's wallace at" is probably where I thought it was but I didn't want to give in to easily. But McNulty's car crash in season 2, that's a highlight of the entire show. And god, the Union and the Sobotka's story is brilliant it felt truly Shakepearean most specifically with Frank talking to Ziggy in prison.

Sheeeeeeeeeeit man, I forgot about Prez, most of his scenes with Dukie made me well up like a mofo.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:51 pm

I literally just finished watching all 4 season again last night. Took me about 2 weeks. It hits you HARD when you wathc it like that and good god the call backs to season 1 episodes in season 3 and 4 is astonishing. Yeh season 2 really shouldnt be looked down on. That bit at the end of "Hot Shots" when the camera zoomes right past all the prisoners being put on to stretchers and right into Barksdale cell with him stiiting there watching it all is stunning, it's so chilling.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

John-Locke wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:S eason 2 is where I realised it was the best thing ever. Ok, well "where's wallace at" is probably where I thought it was but I didn't want to give in to easily. But McNulty's car crash in season 2, that's a highlight of the entire show. And god, the Union and the Sobotka's story is brilliant it felt truly Shakepearean most specifically with Frank talking to Ziggy in prison.

Sheeeeeeeeeeit man, I forgot about Prez, most of his scenes with Dukie made me well up like a mofo.

Didn't they! It was heartbreaking season that's for sure.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:02 pm

IMDB has some cast and episode names up for season 5

Looks like Sergei is coming back and funnily enough episode 6 is called Dickensian Aspects.

Can't wait.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:24 pm

John-Locke wrote:IMDB has some cast and episode names up for season 5

Looks like Sergei is coming back and funnily enough episode 6 is called Dickensian Aspects.

Can't wait.

Probably about 9 months left. =[
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Apparently, filming has officially wrapped.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:39 am

Starts airing in January!!!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:41 am

YAY!!!! Can't wait!! It'll be the last season to boot. If they can end the series to the same effect as they ended season 4, I'll be one happy camper and might very well echo the "best TV show EVAR" sentiments.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 am

Pacino86845 wrote:YAY!!!! Can't wait!! It'll be the last season to boot. If they can end the series to the same effect as they ended season 4, I'll be one happy camper and might very well echo the "best TV show EVAR" sentiments.

Somehow your stating it doesnt fit that bill already? I am shocked and apalled!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 am

I'm still waiting for the R2 season 4 dvd so I can catch up
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:43 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:YAY!!!! Can't wait!! It'll be the last season to boot. If they can end the series to the same effect as they ended season 4, I'll be one happy camper and might very well echo the "best TV show EVAR" sentiments.

LOL, it's very close though! You have to bear in mind that as a sci-fi whore, I'm very fond of BSG...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:44 am

colonel_lugz wrote:I'm still waiting for the R2 season 4 dvd so I can catch up

Lugz, you will love season 4... arguably the best season so far. By the last episode, you'll be weeping like a little girl. A LITTLE GIRL!!!!! I know I did...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:45 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

LOL, it's very close though! You have to bear in mind that as a sci-fi whore, I'm very fond of BSG...

too much filler eps there. not saying I don't love it though.

Every moment is working towards the same goal.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Only a 12 page profile of David Simon in The New Yorker

p.s What happened to the thread's sticky status, hmm?
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:38 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Only a 12 page profile of David Simon in The New Yorker

p.s What happened to the thread's sticky status, hmm?

Only 12! What a shame ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:28 am

Season 5 preview, bitches!!!

Some light spoilers so beware.
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:17 am

Sweet Tony. 2 months away!!!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:40 am

Holy crappa, McNulty and Stringer Bell are ENGLISH!!!!??? :shock:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:00 am

i knew Nulty was. Bell though. Had no idea.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Yeah he was in UltraViolet (The London based modern Vampire mini series).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:08 pm

Another preview vid here
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:00 pm

John-Locke wrote:Yeah he was in UltraViolet (The London based modern Vampire mini series).

hey, ixnay on the Ampirevay!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Some more preview and prequel stuff!

Click here!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I've never seen it. Probably because it doesn't air in Germany (at least not on Free TV. Got no idea about Pay TV). I hear good things about it all the time, so maybe I should try to get the DVDs.
I even think that the DVDs are the only alternative here, since it will definitely suffer here from the same fate as 'The Shield'. (= getting cancelled after 5 episodes and when another channel will air it a few years later, they're gonna cancel it after 8 episodes :P)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:37 pm

The 4th season came out on DVD this week in the US.

There is honestly no other show like it. I am jonesing for the last season to start already!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:47 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Some more preview and prequel stuff!

Click here!

Brilliant, young Prop Joe was cool but the best bit has to be when the guy says Omar isn't cut out for the game, how completely wrong and right at the same time!
TonyWilson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:S ome more preview and prequel stuff!

Click here!

Brilliant, young Prop Joe was cool but the best bit has to be when the guy says Omar isn't cut out for the game, how completely wrong and right at the same time!

Yeah there was some cool stuff there.

Can't it be january already?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:53 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:[ quote="stereosforgeeks"]S ome more preview and prequel stuff!

Click here!

Yeah there was some cool stuff there.

Can't it be january already?[/quote]

I know!! Fuck Christmas I was the first sunday in january to be here now!!!

Those prequels really were beautiful, a love letter to the fans. And the season 5 promo looks truly amazing.
TonyWilson

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial