The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Best. Show. Evar?

You're goddamn right it is, nothing else touches it
62%
It's good, but I wouldn't go overboard with the praise, buddy
27%
Run-of-the-mill stuff
5%
Just another shitty cop show
6%

Total votes : 108

Re: The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 am

Fans of the show shouldn't even think twice... but too bad it's only a 24-hour deal, otherwise I'd tell you to rent the first season or "something," 'cause if you enjoy the first season (I think it has 12 1-hour episodes) then the rest of the series is pretty consistent, with the highlight, IMO, being season 4.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 am

so sorry wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:If you like realistic police procedural films/shows, you will love The Wire... otherwise there's still a good chance that you'll love it, but ya never know. That's an amazing deal for those DVDs.

I was at Best Buy yesterday afternoon, and I had the 1st Season Set in my hands for about 15 minutes (for 35 bucks). But I ultimately put it back... still, as cheap as 100 bucks is for 4 seasons, I just can't bring my self to do it!

Do It, it takes a while to get into but once you have there is no going back.

I can't imagine anyone who's got past the first couple of episodes has ever given up on this show. At $100 it's an absolute bargain.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby anthonymous on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:46 pm

I considered trying take up the deal (and risking import tax and expensive postage etc.) but I already have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD :(
whatever trevor.
anthonymous
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:06 pm

I just ordered the Amazon set. It's like 70 euro's including shipment. These sets are 40 euro's a piece in Holland! So even with tax charge (adds 16 euro's) it's a great deal! I wonder if this is also a sign for a Blu-ray release in the near future... if that's the case I'll probably end up regretting the purchase. But -- they'll probably release the complete Sopranos and Rome on Blu first. And the blu-ray set for the wire will probably be like 70 euro's a piece.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 pm

It was never even shot in HD or Widescreen so I highly doubt there will ever be a Blu-Ray release which would be vastly better in quality.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:05 am

John-Locke wrote:It was never even shot in HD or Widescreen so I highly doubt there will ever be a Blu-Ray release which would be vastly better in quality.

It was shot on film. So the resolution for a HD release is there. More on the Wire's cinematography can be found here.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:10 am

Well after three different people whose opinion I respect recommended this show I finally checked it out. About 5 episodes into the 1st season and I'm loving it.

I have to say so far some of my favorite moments are just D'angelo, Wallace, and the other local pawns talking in the pit.

Now I'm getting the fuck out of this thread to avoid any spoilers.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:58 am

DaleTremont wrote:Well after three different people whose opinion I respect recommended this show I finally checked it out. About 5 episodes into the 1st season and I'm loving it.

I have to say so far some of my favorite moments are just D'angelo, Wallace, and the other local pawns talking in the pit.

Now I'm getting the fuck out of this thread to avoid any spoilers.

Glad to hear your digging it Dale!

I remember it taking about that many episodes to really get into it but if your already loving it your on the fast track to fandom.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby anthonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Yeah, if you're liking it at that point then you'll end up proclaiming it to be the greatest show ever by the end of Season 3 at the very least.

Some people have said to me that they found the beginning of Season 2 a bit jarring though which I suppose I agree with. Nevertheless, I re-watched it recently and it was much better than I remember. It's virtually impossible to rank the seasons IMO - altho I would say that Season 4 probably edges it. 1-3 & 5 I can't rank though!
whatever trevor.
anthonymous
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Well I won't lie- there are still some characters whose names I'm a little fuzzy on! I mean the sheer volume of information they threw at you in the first couple episodes was pretty daunting, but even if you don't have all the facts sorted it's just such amazing writing.

I have a bunch of time to kill now too so I'll probably be at season 3 in the next week or so :D
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm

The entire series can be seen as one long story really, but particularly from season 3 onwards... you could play the last three seasons as one long super-season IMO, and it's friggin' awesome!! Season 2 is nice 'cause it really stands out from the rest of the show, more so than the fifth season I'd say, and yet is just as rewarding as the other seasons... with the exception of the fourth, which is among the best seasons of any show EVAR!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Was talking to an editor from a magazine called 'man about town'...she did an interview with one of the cast.Said it was the best series ever.

Still have to see.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 am

I just finished season 1 and I can't believe those fuckers shot Wallace! I loved Wallace.

What amazes me about this show is how well little things are set up episodes and episodes before they end up being played out. Like McNulty grinning after Rawls asks him where he doesn't want to be placed or Greggs' girlfriend touching that spot of blue highlight on her couch. It's all just so perfectly constructed but still so organic.

Okay...I'll stop popping in to go down on this show. I'm coming wayyy too late to the party :oops:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby instant_karma on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:00 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I just finished season 1 and I can't believe those fuckers shot Wallace! I loved Wallace.

What amazes me about this show is how well little things are set up episodes and episodes before they end up being played out. Like McNulty grinning after Rawls asks him where he doesn't want to be placed or Greggs' girlfriend touching that spot of blue highlight on her couch. It's all just so perfectly constructed but still so organic.

Okay...I'll stop popping in to go down on this show. I'm coming wayyy too late to the party :oops:

I was a latecomer too. I only started watching it as the final season started showing. And I totally agree about well they handle small details. I think my favourite instance of them doing it was in season three (or maybe four), but I can't say what it was yet 'cause I don't want to spoil it.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Ok I haven't read a single post in this thread, but i just started watching Season 1 of The Wire and I see the light.

I had previously watched Season 1 and thought to myself: "What is the big deal?" But now rewatching it...I see it. I see the layers and textured storytelling.

I can't wait to watch more.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 am

Yee, the amazon set arrived today! No customs -- SHOCK -- that never happends with sets above a 33 dollar value. But anyways, started season 1 again. Right from the first minute it's as brilliant as ever. Now I gotta convert some friends who still see the sopranos as the holy grail of television, this show easily equals it -- hell surpasses it imho. 8-)
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby VegasRon on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:46 am

I just finished S3.

Hyperbole be damned, that was the best season of a tv show I've ever watched. Period.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:17 am

VegasRon wrote:I just finished S3.

Hyperbole be damned, that was the best season of a tv show I've ever watched. Period.

Your 1 season short. Season 4 is the best season of television ever.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby VegasRon on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

You were absolutely correct.
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:04 am

VegasRon wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

You were absolutely correct.

10 out of 10 people whove wathed The Wire agree, season 4 is the bees knees (or something like that anyway).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby VegasRon on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:00 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:10 out of 10 people whove wathed The Wire agree, season 4 is the bees knees (or something like that anyway).

I'd rank them S4, S3, S1, S2 and S5, which was a bit of a dissapointment for me.

Still, this is my all-time favorite series now. I can't believe it not only never won an emmy, I think it was only nominated once. Once? Really? Yet that crappy ass John Adams miniseries wins anything at all?
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 am

instant_karma wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:I just finished season 1 and I can't believe those fuckers shot Wallace! I loved Wallace.

I was a latecomer too. I only started watching it as the final season started showing. And I totally agree about well they handle small details. I think my favourite instance of them doing it was in season three (or maybe four), but I can't say what it was yet 'cause I don't want to spoil it.

So out of curiosity, was it when Bodie got killed by Marlow's people for being a snitch...the set up being the fact that he and Poot had been the ones to kill Wallace for the same reason in season 1? Because that was one fucking amazing instance of how all things come full circle in the show...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

I watched this entire series over the course of about six weeks and I think it's safe to say, yes, The Wire is the best television show ever made. And not just by a little.

I can't even speak about the show without getting all hopped-up and drifting into hyperbole, because I think it's about 99.5% perfect television. The acting. The casting. The locations. The restrained-yet-precise direction. And holy shit, the motherfucking writing. This thing is brilliant, top to bottom, and I think it should be studied in schools. In Engligh. In History. In Civics and Economics; in Psychology and Sociology. This show is a masterwork about who were are as a people in this time and this place, and to say it was eye-opening to me, a guy of relative privilege, doesn't even begin to tell the tale. I've seen "down and out" stories about a wounded American Dream, but this was the first time I ever got it.

I could blather on for hours about what an accomplishment the whole thing is, but if you've seen the show you know and if you haven't you owe it to yourself to find out. I know I'm the 10,000th person to say this, but I truly believe The Wire is The Great American Novel.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 pm

I dunno how many eyes will graze this post today...

but ATTENTION FELLOW CANUCKS!!!!

Amazon.ca is selling The Wire: The Complete Series for $102.99 "today only"!! I just ordered my copy... if you're a fan of the show, this is by far the best deal you're gonna get on the complete series in Canada for a while.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Dar!

Thanks for fueling my impulse buying, Pacino
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:37 am

My pleasure! :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

This is the first time in my life I've ever been jealous not to be Canadian.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Around Christmas time Amazon in the US was selling the series for 90 bucks, I think I remember Herc posting about it on the main page. But I don't think that makes you feel any better... :oops:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Gerald Fried on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:57 am

The BBC start showing it tonight (BBC2 11:20pm - yeah good scheduling there BBC well done)

I am moderately happy about this because Royal Mail lost my DVDs of The Wire.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby CeeBeeUK on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 am

Gerald Fried wrote:The BBC start showing it tonight (BBC2 11:20pm - yeah good scheduling there BBC well done)

I am moderately happy about this because Royal Mail lost my DVDs of The Wire.

I'd probably watch this, if it wasn't on every night. That's going to fill up the Tivo pretty quick!

Especially if they are going to show all 5 series stripped!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:19 am

I'm DEFINATELY UP FOR THIS!!!!!

It's been recommended by everyone on the board so I'm going to give it its viewing statistics.

papalazeru

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:58 am

Excellent work, Papa.
You know I'm rather convinced by the argument that BBC2 and that bloody arsehole Ben Stephenson scheduled The Wire at a time that will doom it to a tiny share of the audience thereby giving Stephenson et al some evidence for their argument that viewers just aren't interested in truly quality drama. Which is patently bullshit but the fucktarded execs can then recommission Holby City and Mistresses and claim it's what the people want.
So yes, Papalazeru, please tune into all the eps you possibly can and if it's a success perhaps the beeb might just be forced to take on more really groundbreaking and important drama.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Gerald Fried on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:21 am

TonyWilson wrote:Excellent work, Papa.
You know I'm rather convinced by the argument that BBC2 and that bloody arsehole Ben Stephenson scheduled The Wire at a time that will doom it to a tiny share of the audience thereby giving Stephenson et al some evidence for their argument that viewers just aren't interested in truly quality drama. Which is patently bullshit but the fucktarded execs can then recommission Holby City and Mistresses and claim it's what the people want.
So yes, Papalazeru, please tune into all the eps you possibly can and if it's a success perhaps the beeb might just be forced to take on more really groundbreaking and important drama.

The BBC's Seinfeld Slot is usually a sign that someone in the chain of command probably doesn't really have confidence in it.

...despite pretty every review of it using some form of the phrase "best TV show ever".

Surprised they didn't dump it on to BBC Three after "Snog, Marry Avoid" and the nth repeat of Two Pints.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am

TonyWilson wrote:Excellent work, Papa.

Considering I own a viewing statistics box, my dog and cat are counting as 2 people and I'm always going to be having friends round about then.

Maybe we can get a better time. I don't want them to do what they did with Arrested Development.

papalazeru

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:51 am

Few things to consider Papa:

Don't miss an Episode or leave the room briefly, if you do you wont have a clue what's going on at a latter date, sometimes missing the smallest thing can leave you confused seasons later.

Don't give up after the first episode, it takes 2 or 3 episodes to get what the show is about.

Prepare to become obsessed.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:07 pm

And guess what should happen to be delivered an hour ago - the replacement set for the one Royal Mail lost.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:20 pm

I know I'm a minority on this one, but I do think Season One's the best. It seemed to get a little dissipated and lose some of that realism that made it stand out so much to begin with when it kept on stepping it up a gear with the later seasons. Then again, I guess I would say that with Clockers being my favourite Spike Lee joint and D'Angelo being my favourite character. :(

That being said, every season is indispensable. If the BBC keeps this up, I might just forgive them for smothering Jade Goody's pig face all over prime time a couple of weeks ago.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm curious: would the language, violence etc. have any role in BBC2's decision to air the show as late as they are? Would they be compelled to make edits if they showed it any earlier? What are the broadcast standards like in the UK?

CTV started showing The Sopranos unedited at 9p back in 2000, which caused some controversy, but ultimately they were only censured for not featuring warnings following every commercial break, instead of merely at the beginning of the show.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council's full decision on the matter makes for some pretty interesting reading.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:08 pm

The "watershed" on our channels is 9pm - anything shown from that time onwards is not for children.

It does seem to depend on the context though, as the main soaps seem to get away with more adult themed content before the watershed (because they claim it adresses the "issues") I think Channel4 showed the Sopranos at about 10pm here.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 pm

I see. They mention 9pm as a significant time in the decision above too, but it's very unusual for network (versus cable) TV to go into R-rated territory at any time in Canada. The Sopranos case was pretty unique, and nobody including CTV has taken advantage of the breakthrough since. Global started airing Big Love during the writer's strike, but what little I saw of the first episode led me to believe they were editing. (I swear they blurred out Bill's ass as he jumped into bed with Margene, but it happened really fast.)

Of course if, say, NBC took it upon themselves to air The Sopranos unedited, even at 11pm, the FCC would probably commandeer tanks from the National Guard and start razing affiliates.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:58 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:I see. They mention 9pm as a significant time in the decision above too, but it's very unusual for network (versus cable) TV to go into R-rated territory at any time in Canada. The Sopranos case was pretty unique, and nobody including CTV has taken advantage of the breakthrough since. Global started airing Big Love during the writer's strike, but what little I saw of the first episode led me to believe they were editing. (I swear they blurred out Bill's ass as he jumped into bed with Margene, but it happened really fast.)

Of course if, say, NBC took it upon themselves to air The Sopranos unedited, even at 11pm, the FCC would probably commandeer tanks from the National Guard and start razing affiliates.

Heroes goes out after 9 and it's cut to shit, more than if it had met Michael J Fox dressed as Freddy Kruger.

papalazeru

Postby travis-dane on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 pm

So, German Cable TV decided to air The Wire......and to cancel it after season two.....
FUCK!
Great show.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:48 pm

The Wire: Best TV Series Ever?

Absolutely.

travis-dane wrote:So, German Cable TV decided to air The Wire......and to cancel it after season two.....
FUCK!
Great show.

Get a region free DVD player and the US box sets from Amazon. You won't regret it.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:38 pm

I've been gradually rewatching The Wire through my pretty-beautiful cheaply (relatively) bought complete series box set...

The second time around, season 1 still holds up as television nigh perfection. Getting through the second season though, some parts made me quizzically raise up an eyebrow as logic was at times tossed aside for dramatic effect. Notably I'm thinking of the end when Sobotka, a key witness that our favorite wire-tappers should've been keen on protecting, is sent waltzing off... and we all know what happens then.

I remember getting a real kick out of the second season the first time around, but this time it felt a bit uneven at times, particularly how they sort of kept the Barksdale arc going in parallel to the docks... however I still appreciate that the show creators chose to go this route.

Now onto season 3, which had felt a little plodding during my first viewing... this is all relatively speaking of course, as even the show's weaker seasons are far superior to those of other series(es).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Gerald Fried on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:27 am

John-Locke wrote:Don't give up after the first episode, it takes 2 or 3 episodes to get what the show is about.

You're right.

Once I'd watched "The Buys" it all clicked into place.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Watched about 1/2 an hour of this but all I could hear was JL's voice in my ear saying 'Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!Best TV Series Ever!!!'. So I just looked at every single clip of this movie waiting for something explosive to happen that was not like anything else I had ever seen in the history of the universe that would show me why it is the Best TV Series Ever!!! - but just got impatient and bored so I switched over to watch Party Girls on the party channel. Sorry, but at least I tried. Wow! Lola is on wearing leather boots. She's my favourite!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:21 pm

gentleman

But whatever man, you are the one missing out, not me. I think if you gave it a chance you'd agree with the majority of those who've seen it and proclaim it the best piece of TV EVER, some (like me) would even go so far as to call it the greatest piece of fiction ever (which means better than any Film or Book too).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 am

LOL, read more books!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Currently watching The Wire on TV right now but I can't shake off JL's voice in my head saying that it is 'The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!The best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I just looked at every single clip of this movie waiting for something to make my cock to explode wide open and incriminate all rats inside my apartment as what I was watching was not like anything else I had ever seen in the history of the universe that would show me why it is the the best piece of fiction of ALL mediums (deep breath) EVAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! - but just got impatient and bored so I switched over to watch 2 Fast 2 Furious, but then went back to playing Shania Twain singing Forever and For Always on my Ipod. She's my favourite!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:00 am

...I don't know how so many of you managed to watch this one episode a week over five years. I've watched the whole first season in over days and want the next one.

"The Hunt" - Before this Major Rawls is shown to be a bit of an dick, mismanaging his department but getting by because of talented detectives. Then during the aftermatch to Greggs' shooting, he actually shows character and leadership, seemingly taking good control of the situation and managing his staff well.

What do you think caused this? Is his usual conduct just a consequence of being stuck in middle-management role?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial