The Tudors

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Tudors

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 pm

So, anyone planning to devote their time to Showtime's attempt at a sex-filled history series?

I caught the end of the first episode and was intrigued, though Jonathan Rhys-Myers seems to be playing Henry VIII as petulantly as he does most of his parts.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Brocktune on Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:36 pm

i saw the billboard for this one on the way up the 5 a couple of weeks ago. i thought to myself, "im gonna have to download this one".

thanks to you good lady for informing me that by now it probably is available for DL.

ive heard some mediocre word of mouth, but i have always had a fascination with the tudor period, so im very keen to catch this one.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:05 pm

No problem! I'm a sucker for the Tudor period as well and the whole Boleyn saga is screaming for a proper take. There was so much sleaze, sex and attempted murder. And so many film-perfect lines "A thousand Wolseys for one Anne Boleyn!"

It certainly looks like everyone's going to be taking their clothes off a lot, so that's something. :P
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:46 pm

Damn. I don't have Showtime. They are showing the first two episodes on the free channel of In Demand, but what's the point when you can't see the whole series?

"'Enery the VII I am I am!"
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Re: The Tudors

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:44 am

Damn, only 4 posts!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:38 am

Are we talking about the show that aired in England in 2007 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:53 am

talking about may be an exaggeration but yes that is the topic of this thread
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:09 am

Al Shut wrote:talking about may be an exaggeration but yes that is the topic of this thread

:lol:

Yeah, didn't like it. It was another one of these historically innacurate programs that tried to flog itself as a drama but in essence it was a poor veiled teen romp series, a bit like what Doctor Who will become.

I didn't like it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:36 am

I did
as far as I remember
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Raziel on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:44 pm

The Tudors is actually filmed a few miles from were I live....it's a bit of an overblown series and I don't normally watch it. But I caught a few of this series' episodes, and it was entertaining enough. But I'm sorry, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is far too studly and ugly to play Hank The Eighth. :wink:
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Did anybody else end up watching this?

Although I wasn't a fan of the first few episodes, I stuck with it and it developed a voice that I liked. Although the sex and violence was always a big part of the show (not necessarily a bad thing all the time!), it wasn't played up quite so much as it was in the pilot, and the story became more about political intrigue. The series as a whole was a little hit-or-miss, but each season there were at least two or three truly great episodes. I also liked that the showrunner Michael Hirst (who also wrote every single script, I think) didn't try to take one position on Henry VIII, whose life and court were incredibly complex and whose motives will always be subject to debate, but allowed the show to be told from multiple points of view. One such example: he cast the decidedly not ugly Joss Stone as Henry's fourth wife, Anne of Cleves, who he divorced because he claimed she "looks like a horse," while subtle comments imply their relationship may have actually failed as the result of sabotage on the part of Henry's friend the Duke of Suffolk and his worsening gout. There's also a pantheon of great performances throughout the life of the show, including Sam Neill, Jeremy Northam, James Frain, Natalie Dormer (as Anne Boleyn), and of course Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Henry VIII himself. Although he's never entirely convincing as an old man. There was also plenty of murder and sexytimes too, which I'm sure wasn't entirely accurate but occasionally made for some compelling drama. In the end, though, those contradictions might have helped the overall theme of the show: it was a pretty interesting look at how being the ruler of a kingdom can divide a man in two, due to its perks and its drawbacks, how it spoils you and what it takes away from you, and the struggle of everyone in court to walk the line between a person and a symbol.

Anyway, I figured I'd finally get around to posting my thoughts on the series and see if anybody else felt the same, or at least saw it as well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:15 pm

P.S. if anybody's curious about the show but doesn't feel like slogging through the entire series, I could probably recommend a handful of episodes that would give you the gist.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Coaxial