The Pacific

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Pacific

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:55 am

First bit of news I've seen on this in years.

The cameras are expected to start rolling in August, with locations to include Far North Queensland, Melbourne and the Northern Territory.

The sequel to Band Of Brothers focuses on the US involvement in the war in the Pacific and is anticipated to be based in Australia for close to a year.

I'm quietly freaking over here right now.
Spielberg.... Hanks...... WWII..... again..... orgasm.

But please, no Jimmy Fallon this time.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:00 am

yes... Yes.... YESSS!!!!

I've been waiting for this one. It's funny, I just packed "Band Of Brothers" for a business trip I'm heading off on tomorrow. I can re-watch that thing over and over... it doesn't lose its impact.

but yes, I could have done without Fallon as well.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:03 am

Damn it!

Its going to be on HBO I assume and I don't have HBO. Frak! Frak! Frak!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:05 am

OMG HOLY SHIT YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I've said in the BOB thread, this is my favorite miniseries of all time and is, in my mind, the best thing HBO has ever done. Better than the Sopranos, better than Rome, better than Deadwood. It's also far, far superior to Saving Private Ryan. Seriously. I really do think that.

I'm a WWII buff, so I'm completely biased, but I'm insanely geeky over the original series. I really hope this lives up to it. I can't wait to hear which unit they will be following so I can start researching!! It'll be interesting to see how they do without Ambrose's source material (and mild plagarism) to draw from. It'll be tough to live up to Easy Company, but there are some amazing stories from the Pacific Theater to draw from.

DAMN I'M EXCITED!!!

awww, now I went and made the thread all sticky. :oops:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:12 am

Any idea what source material they're basing it on?

Perhaps when they finish with this one, they can start up "An Army At Dawn". Base it on Rick Atkinson's masterful review of WWII's African Theater. I'm with you, Moo: huge WWII buff, and the thought of another series of the quality of BoB makes me downright giddy.

I don't normally do "giddy".
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:14 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:As I've said in the BOB thread, this is my favorite miniseries of all time and is, in my mind, the best thing HBO has ever done. Better than the Sopranos, better than Rome, better than Deadwood. It's also far, far superior to Saving Private Ryan. Seriously. I really do think that.

I fully agree with you on all points. They really did it right with BOB. Taken as a whole, I think it's my favorite "everything" (television/cinema) of all time. The high level of production/writing/casting/acting/directing/etc. all plays a part, but the best thing about it is that it's a true story. I can only assume the same care will be taken with this project. Spielberg and Hanks obviously don't screw around when it comes to WWII.

Hopefully by the time this airs, I'll have a nice HD television and will be able to watch it on HBO HD.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:25 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Perhaps when they finish with this one, they can start up "An Army At Dawn". Base it on Rick Atkinson's masterful review of WWII's African Theater. .

Great, great book. I would love to see that made.

No idea on which unit (or units) they will follow this time around. I hope they follow form after BOB and concerntrate on a single unit, though the title "The Pacific Theater" sounds like it might be a little more broad in scope.

I'm not sure, I think I'd prefer a focus on a smaller unit. That was one of the best things about BOB, you really began to CARE about the guys....
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:31 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Perhaps when they finish with this one, they can start up "An Army At Dawn". Base it on Rick Atkinson's masterful review of WWII's African Theater. .

Great, great book. I would love to see that made.

No idea on which unit (or units) they will follow this time around. I hope they follow form after BOB and concerntrate on a single unit, though the title "The Pacific Theater" sounds like it might be a little more broad in scope.

I'm not sure, I think I'd prefer a focus on a smaller unit. That was one of the best things about BOB, you really began to CARE about the guys....

Whuh? This from a guy who reads WWII textbooks so he won't have to think too much about the people, just the tactics and broad historical scope, yes?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:36 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:No idea on which unit (or units) they will follow this time around. I hope they follow form after BOB and concerntrate on a single unit, though the title "The Pacific Theater" sounds like it might be a little more broad in scope.

I absolutely agree on the focus. I hadn't really thought about the scope, though.

I guess I just assumed this would focus on the Navy. Pearl Harbor through Midway, through the Phillipines Sea. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Maybe follow the Indianapolis... now that would make for a riveting 10 hours!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 am

Adam Balm wrote:Whuh? This from a guy who reads WWII textbooks so he won't have to think too much about the people, just the tactics and broad historical scope, yes?

HAHAHA!!! I swear to god as I was typing that I just knew you were going to call me on it.

Call this the exception to the rule. It also marks a deviation between my literary and film tastes. When I'm reading something on WWII I like to have the broad, strategic overview, etc. But I don't think that translates well to the screen. It's much harder on screen to get into the level of detail regarding troop movements, large-scale engagements, etc., without boring or confusing the piss out of everybody. Focusing on a particular unit and getting to know the characters makes for a better experience when watching, as opposed to reading, IMO.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:00 am

Great news! BoB ranks amongst the most powerful work I've ever had the privilege to watch. And if the episodes themselves weren't enough (each one a mini-classic in its own right) - that part right at the end and on the extras, where they show you who of the talking heads were which character - just chokes me up every time.

Its no bad thing to remember what these men went through and what they did - really, really looking forward to another helping.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BassClef on Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:13 am

Just think. If Hanks and Spielberg do this like the "From The Earth To The Moon" HBO miniseries (or whatever it was called), it could be MASSIVE!! Pearl Harbor, Midway, Solomons, Coral Sea, Hiroshima! Fuckin' YIKES! Pivotal battles, personal stories. Damn, THAT would be sweet!! I'm a WWII buff because of my dad. He was in the Pacific Theater. Some of his stories scared the bejeesus out of me! If this "war" can be told with BOB quality, THAT would be a fitting tribute to the Pacific War vets!
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question, than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
BassClef
GLIB

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:41 am

Sadly, I just recently had to sell my BoB set for cash to help pay for rent. How fucking sad and pathetic is that? My fiancee even told me flat out, "No way, you LOVE that series!"

Well, I guess I love having a roof over my head more.

This I cannot wait for. BoB is an absolute masterpiece, one of the greatest movies/miniseries/tv shows ever. The only thing about that show that I didn't like was that my grandfather wasn't alive to see it. He was a major WWII buff, and BoB/The Pacific would have been something he'd have enjoyed tremendously.

Maybe I'll go buy back my BoB box set this weekend...
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:32 am

I'm basically reiterating everyone elses statements that I definitely cannot wait for this now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:00 am

From the article:

It will employ about 280 Australian actors, including almost 20 male leads and at least 250 in supporting roles or as extras.

Have to assume it's going to be done in similar style to BoB - spotlighting one unit over the series with the 20 male leads.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Pacific (Band Of Brothers Sequel!!!!!!!!)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 am

Fievel wrote:First bit of news I've seen on this in years.

The cameras are expected to start rolling in August, with locations to include Far North Queensland, Melbourne and the Northern Territory.

The sequel to Band Of Brothers focuses on the US involvement in the war in the Pacific and is anticipated to be based in Australia for close to a year.

I'm quietly freaking over here right now.
Spielberg.... Hanks...... WWII..... again..... orgasm.

But please, no Jimmy Fallon this time.

This was pretty much going to be my post exactly, including the anti-Fallon remark.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:26 am

This thread just reminded me that I got the BoB box set for Christmas and haven't watched it yet...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:30 am

I really liked band of brothers and i'm looking forward to this too...

Although i do hope that it's a little more historically accurate this time...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:37 am

Funny, Fallon didn't bother me. To me it was more of an emphasis on the fact that yes, every Joe Average was dragged into that war. So while seeing him took me out of the film for a moment, it actually came full circle for me, and worked in a bizarre way...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:45 am

Every American Joe Average, not a single limey on the old D-Day landings???

and no friendly fire??? for the country with the most guns in the world you guys are a lousy shot... :roll: :wink: (runs and hides...)
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 am

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Every American Joe Average, not a single limey on the old D-Day landings???

and no friendly fire??? for the country with the most guns in the world you guys are a lousy shot... :roll: :wink: (runs and hides...)

I dont think you want to go there...you might want to turn around and go back to BoB... :twisted:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:55 am

perhaps talking only slightly negatively about america once in my illustrious time here is a little too much... that's democratic for you, well, as democratic as Iraq at least...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:02 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Every American Joe Average, not a single limey on the old D-Day landings???

regarding the limeys on D-Day, we've covered this one before:

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=374345#374345

It was regarding Saving Private Ryan, but the idea holds.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 pm

sorry Moo, i didn't realise, i'm only kidding of course. I think the whole process of the series Band Of Brothers was written from a book and that book was based soley on the lives and war time memories of the servicemen and as such was about them, and not some limeys...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:16 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:sorry Moo, i didn't realise, i'm only kidding of course. I think the whole process of the series Band Of Brothers was written from a book and that book was based soley on the lives and war time memories of the servicemen and as such was about them, and not some limeys...

No worries, I didn't mean for that post to sound so abrupt, but my boss came in and... :wink:

Yes, it was based on Ambrose's book of the same name.

By the way, if anyone is interested in reading about WWII from a non-fictional, British perspective, I recommend the books of Sir John Keegan, probably the foremost British WWII historian.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:22 pm

atually looks really interesting, i read a book about Stalingrad and The downfall of Berlin by Antony Beevor, really interesting... I will have a look for some Sir John next time i call at my local library..
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:54 am

BUMP
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:57 am

:oops:

um...yeah......cant wait
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:58 am

:lol:
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:51 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Damn it!

Its going to be on HBO I assume and I don't have HBO. Frak! Frak! Frak!

Don't worry. It's HBO, so I'm sure you'll be able to buy it on DVD for $3000.00.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:08 am

Woohoo! I had been worried this had been scrapped.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Source Material listed!

Based on both "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge and "Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie, the miniseries will follow two U.S. marines who fought and lived to write books about their experiences.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby zane on Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

I can't wait to find out what happens in the end.
zane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:27 am

Oh man it feels good to bump this thread again!

From the Hollywood Reporter article about HBO that Herc linked:

Meanwhile, "The Pacific," the long-gestating World War II miniseries set in the Pacific theater, likely will bow in third-quarter 2009.

2 years.... annnnnnnnd counting!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

Pacific Update!!!!!

Helmer Tim Van Patten ("Rome") is set to direct the first installment of HBO's 10-part WWII miniseries "The Pacific," reports Variety.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 am

Fievel wrote:Pacific Update!!!!!

Helmer Tim Van Patten ("Rome") is set to direct the first installment of HBO's 10-part WWII miniseries "The Pacific," reports Variety.

Definitely a good choice.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Man, the wait for BoB was killing me, and I heard about that only a year before its release. *sob*
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:46 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:Pacific Update!!!!!

Definitely a good choice.

Indeed, van Patten did some great work on Rome.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:15 pm

Great, now I may have to get HBO just for this.

Band of Brothers was great on its initial viewing, and I'm waiting for the price to drop on it, may check ebay......

If it maintains any of the power of the original, it'll be mandatory tv for some.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 pm

SilentBobX wrote:If it maintains any of the power of the original, it'll be mandatory tv for all.

Edited for truth.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:26 pm

Reports suggest that it'll be mainly based on two books:

"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge
"Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:33 pm

Two books I'll be sure to avoid, now. I had no clue at all about BoB before I watched it. I want to stay that way this time around.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:04 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Reports suggest that it'll be mainly based on two books:

"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge
"Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie

I haven't read either yet. Interesting. I'd read BoB so I knew what would happen to the characters, but in this case I, too, may try to remain "unspoiled" (seems weird to say that in connection with non-fiction).

Can't wait for this. Can't fucking wait.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54 pm

I hadn't read BoB before the series came out, but have since then. A much better way, in my opinion. The stories were a little more detailed in the book and there were faces to go with the names. Sure, they're actor's faces, but still it helped me.
I'll likely do the same with this series as well.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:22 am

Holy crap.
I don't know if I just missed annoucements or what, but the IMDB page for this show is full of a cast now!

William Sadler! The little boy from Jurassic Park! Nathan Corddry! And more!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:37 pm

If you're not interesting in casting news for The Pacific, you're a terrorist.

Just a joke to bump the thread.....
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Fievel wrote:If you're not interesting in casting news for The Pacific, you're a terrorist.

Looks like it's shaping up well cast wise!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:35 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:If you're not interesting in casting news for The Pacific, you're a terrorist.

Looks like it's shaping up well cast wise!

Yup. I didn't know a number of the names in that list, but given how expertly BoB was cast, I'm certainly willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I like Sadler.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:27 pm

I'm wondering what This Guy is going to be like on the series.

He was the rather flamboyant neighbor kid that had the crush on his friend on the horrible FOX sitcom "War At Home". I've never seen him in anything else, so it's hard to imagine him as a battle-ready soldier with only that one role in my mind.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Lots of information and some production photos are up here:

http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

And Dale Dye, who's training the cast and acting in it, has a blog up here.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Coaxial