The Pacific

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Pacific (Band Of Brothers Sequel!!!)

Postby travis-dane on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:I didn't watch BAND OF BROTHERS, but this looks pretty bad ass.

Is BOB worth checking out? I think I remember hearing good things, but I could be mistaken. I know the production was exceptional, but how about the acting/writing/etc?

Ok Lecko, seriously...BOB is easily the best thing that's ever been on HBO. I'm probably in the minority on this one but it's actually the best thing I've ever seen on TV period and is right up there with my favorite films of all time. Acting is fantastic. Writing is fantastic. It's based on true events and real people (for real, not "influenced by" bullshit).

It's flat out amazing. I've watched the entire series at least 10 times.

Yeah, it is really good. Watch it if you have time.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:I didn't watch BAND OF BROTHERS, but this looks pretty bad ass.

Is BOB worth checking out? I think I remember hearing good things, but I could be mistaken. I know the production was exceptional, but how about the acting/writing/etc?

Ok Lecko, seriously...BOB is easily the best thing that's ever been on HBO. I'm probably in the minority on this one but it's actually the best thing I've ever seen on TV period and is right up there with my favorite films of all time. Acting is fantastic. Writing is fantastic. It's based on true events and real people (for real, not "influenced by" bullshit).

It's flat out amazing. I've watched the entire series at least 10 times.

Yeah, that is all I needed.

I may rent this on Blu-Ray to watch over the weekend. Thanks MOO.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:06 pm

I like that trailer a LOT more than the first.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 am

I went out Saturday night and rented the first disc of BoB on BLU RAY. I watched it with my dad and my brother. It was pretty damn kick ass. Can't wait to rent the next discs.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I went out Saturday night and rented the first disc of BoB on BLU RAY. I watched it with my dad and my brother. It was pretty damn kick ass. Can't wait to rent the next discs.

You might be better off buying the whole set. It's pretty cheap now (about £15 here).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm

New Trailer!!

Says "March 2010" at the end!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Fievel wrote:Says "March 2010" at the end

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:09 am

Hopefully the actual programme isn't as mawkish as the trailers are making it out to be. Otherwise I fear this may be a not-quite-as-good Terrance Malick retread.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:01 pm

I don't have HBO at home, but it seems like every hotel I stay in has it. I keep seeing the previews and they keep playing the music from the original show...Those first few notes hit me like a ton of bricks every time...

All I can say is that if the opening music overture is half as emotion evoking as Band of Brothers was, I'll be hooked regardless of how the series turns out.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Unfortunately the composer of Band of Brothers, Michael Kamen, is dead.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Fievel wrote:Unfortunately the composer of Band of Brothers, Michael Kamen, is dead.

:P

One can hope still, yeah?
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
Fievel wrote:Unfortunately the composer of Band of Brothers, Michael Kamen, is dead.

:P

One can hope still, yeah?

Yeah, we can. I wouldn't complain one bit if they managed to use the exact same music from BoB.
The Main Title theme....... :P it... it.... (sniffle) gets me every time.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Someone called Geoff Zanelli is doing the music, whose previous work includes the scores for Hitman, Gamer, Disturbia and that other HBO series "Into The West" (which I found a bit boring and stopped watching). Although apparently he's written stuff for lots of other composers.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Pacific

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 am

Just in case you forgot, this starts tonight in the US, time to make this thread Sticky
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 pm

John-Locke wrote:Just in case you forgot, this starts tonight in the US, time to make this thread Sticky

Watching a behind-the-scenes bit on HBO and came here to say the exact same thing!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Fievel wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Just in case you forgot, this starts tonight in the US, time to make this thread Sticky

Watching a behind-the-scenes bit on HBO and came here to say the exact same thing!

haha, me too. Can't wait!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:50 pm

It's only FINALLY come out? how long was this made? YEARS AGO!!! Bloody 'ell, by the time this series finally has aired, the blimmin' war is now bloody OVER!!!!

Spielberg. FAIL.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Say, you ARE excited to see this, aren't you John?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:12 am

I'm not trying to commit blasphemy here, but I think that first hour was better than Band of Brothers' first. And we all know how that turned out. This is very promising. And just because it's already been mentioned a bunch, I thought the score was was really good tonight. Suspenseful when it needed to be, but with just enough of a tip of the hat to Kamen to make me smile and tear up at the same time.

I thought this episode jumped into the action faster than BOB, although I'm not saying that more action = better. But I just felt this episode was stronger than BOB. The only thing I don't know yet is if this cast is going to gel and carry this thing like Band of Brothers did. I don't know, but it looks like it's going to be a blast finding out.

HBO has done it again. I'm saying this unabashedly... this is the best thing on TV.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:49 am

I would have liked a little more clarity on the timelines once the troops hit the beach. Were the troops on Guadalcanal for a few days? A few weeks? Just a minor complaint.

Pretty strong first episode overall. Its going to take me a while to figure out all these names!

My free HBO runs out in three weeks...time to find a friend that has it and invite myself over every sunday night at 9...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:41 am

I figured out Basilone and JP Morgan (that isn't THE JP Morgan, is it?). But yeah, I agree, I gotta get them names down.

And I think I'll call it and say that the thinner old man from the beginning is being played by the Jurassic Park kid.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am

Side Note: I always think about how these guys in WWII could physically handle the war with the amount of cigarettes they smoked. Seriously, every portrayal of WWII vets is of a chain smoking guy. And that was in the era of filterless smokes! How could their lungs handle all that stress!?!?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:06 pm

so sorry wrote:Side Note: I always think about how these guys in WWII could physically handle the war with the amount of cigarettes they smoked. Seriously, every portrayal of WWII vets is of a chain smoking guy. And that was in the era of filterless smokes! How could their lungs handle all that stress!?!?

18-year-old (and often younger!) lungs are a bit more resilient.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:21 pm

I know for sure someone here can quote that stupid song with the average soldiers age and it wasn't 18
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Al Shut wrote:I know for sure someone here can quote that stupid song with the average soldiers age and it wasn't 18

wrong war.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Just as Band Of Brothers was comparable to Saving Private Ryan, The Pacific seems to be comparable to The Thin Red Line so far only the first episode was nowhere near as good. I know it's too early to pass judgement yet but the first episode just seemed too slight, too many characters and not enough detail, Band Of Brothers showed us how tactics and manoeuvres played out, this just seemed like people shooting in the dark with no real sense of scope.

Early days but it needs to improve if it's going to rival Band of Brothers.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Herc seemed to share a similar view, JL, but he says that you should be patient with the series until about three episodes in. After that, according to Herc, it's supposed to be awesome.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:35 pm

John-Locke wrote:Just as Band Of Brothers was comparable to Saving Private Ryan, The Pacific seems to be comparable to The Thin Red Line so far only the first episode was nowhere near as good. I know it's too early to pass judgement yet but the first episode just seemed too slight, too many characters and not enough detail, Band Of Brothers showed us how tactics and manoeuvres played out, this just seemed like people shooting in the dark with no real sense of scope.

To be fair, Band of Brothers was still dicking around at boot camp with Ross at this point in its run.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm

A lot of people seeing episodes of this series way early than other people.

My asian ancestors didn't fight against the evil foe in WW2 just so you could take advantage of the freedom they gave, and end up criminally DOWNLOADING THAT WAR!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Al Shut on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:06 am

John-Locke wrote:Just as Band Of Brothers was comparable to Saving Private Ryan, The Pacific seems to be comparable to The Thin Red Line so far only the first episode was nowhere near as good. I know it's too early to pass judgement yet but the first episode just seemed too slight, too many characters and not enough detail, Band Of Brothers showed us how tactics and manoeuvres played out, this just seemed like people shooting in the dark with no real sense of scope.

Does The Pacific have such nuggets of greatness as:

The invasion is postponed because of the weather.

Random line about weather in Chicago

You know who was from Chigaco? (Flashback starts)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:15 am

Yeah! Does The Pacific have

frarking Dexter Fletcher?

Lots of cool posy "OMG I'M REACTING AT SOME WAR THING OFFSCREEN AND MAKING MYSELF LOOK ALL DRAMATIC AND MATURE AND FULLY DEVELOPED AS A HUMAN FARKING BEING!!! LET ALONE DOING A GOOD SHOWREEL CLIP AT HOW CAPABLE AN ACTOR I AM FOR ALL THE CASTING SUIT EXECS NO DOUBT WATCHING THIS SERIES AS IT'S SUCH HIGHLY PROFILED AND WATCHED, ACTUALLY I'LL THROW IN A QUICK MUSCLE FLEX TO ADD TO MY POSE TOO WHILE I'M AT IT. THERE... NOW THERE GOES A GREAT STILL SHOT TO ADD TO THE BAND OF BROTHERS PRESS KIT AND MY OWN ACTOR PORTFOLIO NEXT TIME I'M QUEUEING UP FOR ANOTHER CASTING IN LA THAT I PROBABLY WON'T GET!!!"?

A Ginger General? - A GINGER.... GENERAAAALLLL!!!!?????

2 odd episodes at the end where NOTHING HAPPENS!?!?!?!

Yeah, JL! Yeah! Does it?

AAAANNNSWWWEEEERRR MEEE BWOAAAYYY!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:My asian ancestors didn't fight against the evil foe in WW2

FIXED!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:25 pm

John-Locke wrote:FIXED!

Huh! Yeah that's just what your race said about the Vietnam war score result when my race kicked your ass back to England. Americans of Irish descent probably fought in that war, it still counts as United Kingdom! It still counts!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:48 pm

For starters I didn't realise the Vietnamese were Malay (know your own history fuckwit, that's your Asian Race) and it'd be easier for you to bring up the Australian involvement in Nam if you wanted to make a link to the UK.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:56 pm

Can't we all just get along?

And can't we all just get back on topic?

Where the hell is Moo? He's been salivating over this show for months, and he's got nothing to say????
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Well that's a bit ironic isn't it? Can we all just get along?

'Cos if we DID - we wouldn't be having this conversation - about a WAR series. Let's face it, if we all were hand in hand (or hand somewhere else on each other) we wouldn't be having any war. And you all know War IS good - for kick ass movies.

So evil is good. Fighting is good. And I'll start - by banning you, So Sorry. And all the other Mods (Sometimes I swear, Nick is the only decent one here). I said it before, I'll say it again, I am son bring my own army of posters that are gonna bring a Zoner Apocalypse to this place and start a new Zone order when you're all gone. And yes, it WOULD make a great war movie.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 pm

John-Locke wrote:For starters I didn't realise the Vietnamese were Malay (know your own history fuckwit, that's your Asian Race) and it'd be easier for you to bring up the Australian involvement in Nam if you wanted to make a link to the UK.

Were you there, man!? No, you weren't. Therefore nothing you say means everything. Communist.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm

I thought that first episode was a bit of a mess.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Did anyone watch episode two?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Did anyone watch episode two?

Yes.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:34 pm

Yeah.

The series is well made but...I'm personally not finding it entirely engaging. After two episodes, I don't think I really know who the characters are. It's impressive if slightly hollow at the moment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:00 pm

I loved how Basilone was depicted as such a badass. I wonder if he was like that in real life? The way the other guys were in awe /afraid of him because he was fearless in the face of terror. It was impressive.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 pm

so sorry wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for sharing........ :wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Definite improvement over the first episode but I've seen it all done before and better, shame that all the battles take place at night but that's how it happened and without night vision (which obviously they didn't have back then) there is no way to make it easier to follow or original (like Generation Kill did).

Not a good idea to watch this at 2:30am, I've got to turn the volume right down to make sure I don't wake my whole neighbourhood up.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am

The Vicar wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for sharing........ :wink:

So far so good for The Pacific...as JL said, its good, but not great. Always an uphill battle (pun ho!) when its a large ensemble cast to follow along with who is who. Despite my interest in all things WWII, I fully admit that my knowledge of the Pacific theater is weak, so I'll be anxious for our protaganists in each battle they wage becuase I honestly don't know the outcomes (well, I know the main outcome).

I am worried a bit about when the show will take us away from the Pacific theater and follow what's-his-name being honored as a war hero back home. I've seen that bit done before (Flags of our Fathers) and quite frankly, its nothing I want to see. I want pure combat theater docu-drama.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:04 am

SUPERMEGAQUOTETERIA

John-Locke wrote:Definite improvement over the first episode but I've seen it all done before and better, shame that all the battles take place at night but that's how it happened and without night vision (which obviously they didn't have back then) there is no way to make it easier to follow or original (like Generation Kill did).

Not a good idea to watch this at 2:30am, I've got to turn the volume right down to make sure I don't wake my whole neighbourhood up.

Watching it in Pro-Logic II...it sounds badass.

I thought the battle in this episode was easier to follow, as they'd taken some time to show what the environment was like and what the soldiers were dealing with rather than just chucking us into a pitch black gunfight.

Nachokoolaid wrote:I loved how Basilone was depicted as such a badass. I wonder if he was like that in real life? The way the other guys were in awe /afraid of him because he was fearless in the face of terror. It was impressive.

Which one is Basilone?

so sorry wrote:So far so good for The Pacific...as JL said, its good, but not great. Always an uphill battle (pun ho!) when its a large ensemble cast to follow along with who is who. Despite my interest in all things WWII, I fully admit that my knowledge of the Pacific theater is weak, so I'll be anxious for our protaganists in each battle they wage becuase I honestly don't know the outcomes (well, I know the main outcome).

In comparison to Band of Brothers, which also had a large ensemble cast, after one episode we knew who the characters were as we'd essentially gone through their training with them. In this, we had a five minute "lads about to go to war" bit at the beginning and then they were at war - not quite so effective.

I am worried a bit about when the show will take us away from the Pacific theater and follow what's-his-name being honored as a war hero back home. I've seen that bit done before (Flags of our Fathers) and quite frankly, its nothing I want to see. I want pure combat theater docu-drama.

The next episode has some of the homefront. The last episode is apparently all homefront.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:49 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I loved how Basilone was depicted as such a badass. I wonder if he was like that in real life? The way the other guys were in awe /afraid of him because he was fearless in the face of terror. It was impressive.

Which one is Basilone?

Jon Seda, the guy who picked up his massive machine gun without his glove and basically saved the whole unit with his BADASSery in the Jungle and with before mentioned gun in the battlefield.

EDIT: Don't look him up on Wikipedia though, unless you like getting spoiled

EDIT AGAIN: This bit from WIki explains what really happened in Guadalcanal

While on Guadalcanal his fellow Marines gave him the nickname "Manila John" due to his former service in the Philippines.[3] On October 24, 1942 his unit engaged the Japanese in the Lunga area when their position came under attack by a regiment of approximately 3000 soldiers. The Japanese forces began a frontal attack using machine-guns, grenades and mortars against the American heavy machine-guns. The American forces fought for the next 48 hours until only Basilone and two other men from his squad were still able to continue fighting. Basilone moved an extra gun into position and maintained continual fire against the incoming Japanese forces. He repaired another machine-gun and personally manned it, holding the defensive line until replacements arrived. With the continuous fighting, ammunition became critically low and supply lines were cut off. Basilone fought through hostile lines and returned with urgently needed ammunition for his gunners. By the end of the battle, the Japanese regiment was virtually annihilated. For his actions during this battle he received the United States military's highest award for bravery, the Medal of Honor.[4]

Afterwards Private First Class Nash W. Phillips, of Fayetteville, North Carolina, recalled him from the battle for Guadalcanal: "Basilone had a machine gun on the go for three days and nights without sleep, rest or food". "He was in a good emplacement, and causing the Japs lots of trouble, not only firing his machine gun but also using his pistol.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 am

John-Locke wrote:While on Guadalcanal his fellow Marines gave him the nickname "Manila John" due to his former service in the Philippines.[3] On October 24, 1942 his unit engaged the Japanese in the Lunga area when their position came under attack by a regiment of approximately 3000 soldiers. The Japanese forces began a frontal attack using machine-guns, grenades and mortars against the American heavy machine-guns. The American forces fought for the next 48 hours until only Basilone and two other men from his squad were still able to continue fighting. Basilone moved an extra gun into position and maintained continual fire against the incoming Japanese forces. He repaired another machine-gun and personally manned it, holding the defensive line until replacements arrived. With the continuous fighting, ammunition became critically low and supply lines were cut off. Basilone fought through hostile lines and returned with urgently needed ammunition for his gunners. By the end of the battle, the Japanese regiment was virtually annihilated. For his actions during this battle he received the United States military's highest award for bravery, the Medal of Honor.[4]

Afterwards Private First Class Nash W. Phillips, of Fayetteville, North Carolina, recalled him from the battle for Guadalcanal: "Basilone had a machine gun on the go for three days and nights without sleep, rest or food". "He was in a good emplacement, and causing the Japs lots of trouble, not only firing his machine gun but also using his pistol.

:shock:
Badass indeed.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 am

Typical. So they are going the 'badass' Arnie fighting thousands of bad guys all on his own approach to this. Rubbish.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:30 am

John-Locke wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Which one is Basilone?

Jon Seda, the guy who picked up his massive machine gun without his glove and basically saved the whole unit with his BADASSery in the Jungle and with before mentioned gun in the battlefield.

Oh okay...I didn't think he was called Basilone for some reason.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial