The Pacific

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Pacific

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Typical. So they are going the 'badass' Arnie fighting thousands of bad guys all on his own approach to this. Rubbish.


What the fuck man? Did you not read JL's post? That was legit. That makes me even more excited about the show and that character. It makes me realize that there was a real guy named John Basilone that picked up a steaming hot .30 cal with his bare hands, giving himself third degree burns, while holding off and killing most of a platoon on 3000 Japanese troops. Three days and nights without sleep, food, and rest? That's hero shit right there. The only thing that's rubbish is your smug fucking attitude.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Pacific

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Typical. So they are going the 'badass' Arnie fighting thousands of bad guys all on his own approach to this. Rubbish.


crossed the line on that one, Kirks. come on, show some respect
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Pacific

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm sure some of it was embellished upon in an effort to raise funds with the War Bonds
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: The Pacific

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:45 pm

John-Locke wrote:I'm sure some of it was embellished upon in an effort to raise funds with the War Bonds


i don't totally rule out that possibility, but i have seen and read and listened to (my father taught history) a bit about Guadalcanal and all those guys went through shit we can't really imagine, so i just don't think it's cool to say something so dismissive as what Kirk did. has nothing to do with being American or not, either, if they had been Brits i would feel the same way...
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Pacific

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 pm

I think a man has a right not to think of men as being heroes for killing people, even if it was for a good cause. For producing brilliant art, maybe, but for popping hundreds of Japanese heads open like they were ripe watermelons... Not my definition of a hero.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Contentious topic and all.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Pacific

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm sure Kirks was just being facetious anyway
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: The Pacific

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Seppuku wrote:I think a man has a right not to think of men as being heroes for killing people, even if it was for a good cause. For producing brilliant art, maybe, but for popping hundreds of Japanese heads open like they were ripe watermelons... Not my definition of a hero.


It's not the killing for a good cause that made him a Hero, you get Heroes on both sides.

What made him a Hero was his selflessness and protective instincts for his Unit
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: The Pacific

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Seppuku wrote:I think a man has a right not to think of men as being heroes for killing people, even if it was for a good cause. For producing brilliant art, maybe, but for popping hundreds of Japanese heads open like they were ripe watermelons... Not my definition of a hero.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Contentious topic and all.


of course, and the Japanese soldiers were just trying to bring some flowers and cookies over to the Americans, right? that Pearle Harbor thing was just a big misunderstanding, same with Nanking, the Japanese were just trying to be friendly and we nasty Americans had to turn it into a war. gee, degrading the effort and deaths of men who were fighting to protect their country must be part of that "making others feel good" thing you were talking about before, eh
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Pacific

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

That's just, like, my opinion, man! I don't believe in it for the sole purpose of offending people. I do have compassion for the men who were killed by this hero, no matter how wrongheaded they were, and I'm not gonna get rid of it just because it riles you. I honestly think it's a little warped that people are deified for their kill tally, yes. I could elaborate and we could exchange little history lessons together, but it wouldn't result in anything more than heated tempers, so I'll just keep schtum.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Pacific

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am

but no compassion for the hero, eh? tell me, have you alerted the local police to take no action to help you if someone is threatening your life, in the act of trying to kill you, because shit, you wouldn't want your assailant's blood on your hands, now, would you? that poor person could be horrifically injured or killed by the bad police trying to save you.....
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Pacific

Postby Al Shut on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 am

You know, there is a difference between not hailing someone as a hero and condemning him and think he should have acted differently.

And I'm not trying to put words into anyones mouth or thoughts into anyones head, just talking about what I thought the posts in here meant.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6227
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Pacific

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:21 am

I think the true heroes are those who watch HBO's entire Pacific series... more so those who actually pay to watch the episodes.

Because you would be honoring the soldiers' by giving your money to HBO... or something.

In any case, if any of you care about Herc's opinion, he'd said that The Pacific was off to a rough start with the first three episodes, but that it gets much more awesome and rewarding afterwards. Not that I am watching this show right now, but maybe wait 'til episode 4 before passing final judgement.

I remember when I finally got around to watching Band of Brothers that I was jaw-droppingly impressed, more so when I realized that somehow the same people that produced Saving Private Ryan were responsible for the infinitely-better Band of Brothers. Saving Private Ryan was cheap sentimental garbage, but damn Band of Brothers had that special HBO touch that made everything seem REAL!
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

Part 3 - Leckie and Stella have sex.

I'm really enjoying this show. Last night's episode really captured the human side of war. I also appreciate the first few minutes of each episode that is dedicated to commentary and real war footage of the events at Guadalcanal.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Pacific

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I think the true heroes are those who watch HBO's entire Pacific series... more so those who actually pay to watch the episodes.

Because you would be honoring the soldiers' by giving your money to HBO... or something.


So what, are you saying that I and my source who dwells here in the Zone too, are VILLAINS who deserve to be shot by that guy with the big gun that Seppu doesn't like, because we got access to downloaded copies of this series? Huh! I had no choice in the matter, he was threatening to kill my Japanese asendments if I didn't!

Pacino86845 wrote:In any case, if any of you care about Herc's opinion, he'd said that The Pacific was off to a rough start with the first three episodes, but that it gets much more awesome and rewarding afterwards. Not that I am watching this show right now, but maybe wait 'til episode 4 before passing final judgement.

I remember when I finally got around to watching Band of Brothers that I was jaw-droppingly impressed, more so when I realized that somehow the same people that produced Saving Private Ryan were responsible for the infinitely-better Band of Brothers. Saving Private Ryan was cheap sentimental garbage, but damn Band of Brothers had that special HBO touch that made everything seem REAL!


Saving Private Ryan was one of the more powerful and subconsciously affecting war movies or any movie that I've seen! It it wasn't so, we wouldn't have had the albeit more realistic BOB. Up yours, Mr Comic Book Basher!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16622
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm still bothered by not knowing the timeframes in these episodes. Sorry to mouth off about a (probably) stupid thing, but its bugging the shit out of me.
In the run up to last night's ep, we learn that after Guad., the next major marine offensive was almost a year later. So did they just show our marines in Australia for a year? A month?
Did Lackie meet Stella/woo Stella/screw Stella/get dumped by Stella in two weeks? Its important to me for some reason to know timelines...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm still bothered by the lack of spoiler that Stella dumped Lackie. Won't bother watching the rest of the series now.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16622
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 pm

HBO does Drama well, this is why episode 3 was so much better than the first 2, now when they go into battle I'm going to care about these guys a lot more, I hope the action improves too though and it's not all Basilone in the US doing War Bonds stuff for the whole hour.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: The Pacific

Postby ironic name on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Peven wrote:degrading the effort and deaths of men who were fighting to protect their country

hitler was invading america?


but really, I'd love to see a show like this with just russians, brits and french underground.
many american children would probably be amazed to know that america wasn't the first guy in the brawl, just the one who tells his stories the most.
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm

ironic name wrote:
Peven wrote:degrading the effort and deaths of men who were fighting to protect their country

hitler was invading america?


but really, I'd love to see a show like this with just russians, brits and french underground.
many american children would probably be amazed to know that america wasn't the first guy in the brawl, just the one who tells his stories the most.



That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while (no offense!). This is an AMERICAN show, on an AMERICAN Network, produced by AMERICAN people. I can only assume that in Russia, they're have been numerous movies about how heroic their soldiers were as they raped and pillaged their way across western Europe. And I'm sure across the pond, there have their fare share of movies dealing with their soldiers struggles. And the French? Well they are probably to busy drinking wine and smelling bad to worry about making movies about the resistance. But hey, Tarantino did them a favor with Inglorious Basterds, right?

But seriously, I'd be willing to bet that each country has similar themed movies. Done up to the tenth degree like we do her in America? Probably not. But that's what sets us Americans apart!
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby ironic name on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 pm

so sorry wrote:
ironic name wrote:
Peven wrote:degrading the effort and deaths of men who were fighting to protect their country

hitler was invading america?


but really, I'd love to see a show like this with just russians, brits and french underground.
many american children would probably be amazed to know that america wasn't the first guy in the brawl, just the one who tells his stories the most.



That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while (no offense!). This is an AMERICAN show, on an AMERICAN Network, produced by AMERICAN people. I can only assume that in Russia, they're have been numerous movies about how heroic their soldiers were as they raped and pillaged their way across western Europe. And I'm sure across the pond, there have their fare share of movies dealing with their soldiers struggles. And the French? Well they are probably to busy drinking wine and smelling bad to worry about making movies about the resistance. But hey, Tarantino did them a favor with Inglorious Basterds, right?

But seriously, I'd be willing to bet that each country has similar themed movies. Done up to the tenth degree like we do her in America? Probably not. But that's what sets us Americans apart!


I meant a show done by americans, about how they weren't in the war till halfway and everyone else did the hard work.
that typo is awesome though.
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm

ironic name wrote:
so sorry wrote:
ironic name wrote:
Peven wrote:degrading the effort and deaths of men who were fighting to protect their country

hitler was invading america?


but really, I'd love to see a show like this with just russians, brits and french underground.
many american children would probably be amazed to know that america wasn't the first guy in the brawl, just the one who tells his stories the most.



That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while (no offense!). This is an AMERICAN show, on an AMERICAN Network, produced by AMERICAN people. I can only assume that in Russia, they're have been numerous movies about how heroic their soldiers were as they raped and pillaged their way across western Europe. And I'm sure across the pond, there have their fare share of movies dealing with their soldiers struggles. And the French? Well they are probably to busy drinking wine and smelling bad to worry about making movies about the resistance. But hey, Tarantino did them a favor with Inglorious Basterds, right?

But seriously, I'd be willing to bet that each country has similar themed movies. Done up to the tenth degree like we do her in America? Probably not. But that's what sets us Americans apart!


I meant a show done by americans, about how they weren't in the war till halfway and everyone else did the hard work.


Not sure why anyone would be too interested in seeing that here in America. I mean I might, as a bit of a WWII buff. But I watch the History Channel enough to see those documentaries, so I'd rather see Hollywood put their effort into something else. But that's just me...

that typo is awesome though.


That was no typo :twisted:
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:20 pm

ironic name wrote:I meant a show done by americans, about how they weren't in the war till halfway and everyone else did the hard work.
.


Is that a joke? Everyone else did the hard work? Really?
The Poles were overrun.
The French? Please.
The Brits at least stood up to Hitler, but they were kicked off the continent at Dunkirk then hunkered down for a siege.

See if these names ring any goddam bells with you; Normandy...Sicily....Midway...Coral Sea...Tarawa....Kasserine Pass...Monte Casino...
Hurtgen Forest....Leyte....Bataan....Iwo Jima...The Bulge...Okinawa....Guadalcanal....Anzio....
Oh yeah. America took half the war off then coasted. Thank god everyone else was there to pick up the slack.
"We're entitled to our own opinions....not our own facts...."
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Sorry if I seem a bit testy, but as am amateur military historian I find statements like "everyone else did the hard work" fucking disgusting.
Let me ruin the show for you - in the end we nuke the shit out of the Japanese and everyone not working hard in the Pacific got to home.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 pm

The Vicar wrote:Sorry if I seem a bit testy, but as am amateur military historian I find statements like "everyone else did the hard work" fucking disgusting.
Let me ruin the show for you - in the end we nuke the shit out of the Japanese and everyone not working hard in the Pacific got to home.



I'd like to think that Ironic is playing coy with us.

I'd like to think...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific

Postby ironic name on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:42 pm

The Vicar wrote:
ironic name wrote:I meant a show done by americans, about how they weren't in the war till halfway and everyone else did the hard work.
.


Is that a joke? Everyone else did the hard work? Really?

I was half taking the piss, and half serious.
Russia's military strategy was a clusterfuck, but it was still fairly impressive.
and yes, they did a metric fucktonn more than the yanks in europe.

without america's tech the war wouldn't have been 'won', without russian groundpounders the war would have been 'lost', without british flyers and soldiers, french intel etc.

anyways, this show has some great looking chicks, to those that have seen an ep, are there aussie soldiers occasionally, or is it "america saves the world"?
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm

As would I, but these days?
I take nothing for granted anymore.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby travis-dane on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 pm

You are all disrespecting everybody who helped win WW II with your "my country did more then your country" bullshit.
Calm down guys.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby ironic name on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:56 pm

travis-dane wrote:You are all disrespecting everybody who helped win WW II with your "my country did more then your country" bullshit.
Calm down guys.

Image
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby travis-dane on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:57 pm

ironic name wrote:
travis-dane wrote:You are all disrespecting everybody who helped win WW II with your "my country did more then your country" bullshit.
Calm down guys.

Image


BROMANCE!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:58 pm

travis-dane wrote:You are all disrespecting everybody who helped win WW II with your "my country did more then your country" bullshit.
Calm down guys.


I'm not saying my country did more than anyone elses.
I'm citing references to what we DID do in the face of someone implying we got in after all the hard work was done.
There's a difference.
We don't win in Europe without England's help ( or it would have taken a lot longer), but England doesn't get back to the continent without ours.
Wars are tricky that way.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:03 pm

I do agree that it would be way better if Russia's absolutely fucking essential role in WWII wasn't downplayed so much in British and American war movies. OLEG brought the ruckus!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:05 pm

I would never leave the Russkies out.... Without the Russian front things would have gone badly in the west.
And we would have never had Cross of Iron to watch. Or Enemy at the Gates.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here)

Postby ironic name on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:24 pm

The Vicar wrote:I would never leave the Russkies out.... Without the Russian front things would have gone badly in the west.
And we would have never had Cross of Iron to watch. Or Enemy at the Gates.

fuck yeah, enemy at the gates is awesome.
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:31 am

I demand more respect.

Without Germany there wouldn't have even been a war.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6227
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby The Vicar on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 am

Al Shut wrote:I demand more respect.

Without Germany there wouldn't have even been a war.


:shock: :shock: :D :lol: :lol:

This is true. When you guys throw a party, as the Brits say, you really throw a party.
And damned near everybody came!
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Maui on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Last night's episode really tugged at my heartstrings and is that score especially moving or what??? Heck, I was a real sap last night watching Part 4. :(
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 am

Good episode all around.

So far so-so overall for me. I like it, will continue to watch it, but ultimately may be forgettable as a series.

I tell you this: I'd rather watch the real guy's commentary over existing war footage any day over people acting it out.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 pm

so sorry wrote:I tell you this: I'd rather watch the real guy's commentary over existing war footage any day over people acting it out.


Yeah, I have to echo your sentiments there, ss. Especially since I gather that they are hewing pretty close to the Marines' true stories in the show itself. It feels very episodic. Like I'm just being shown a series of events out of someone's life instead of being told an intricate and evolving story. So why pretend that it's drama? It's not working for me. And if I'm not hooked yet, I probably won't be. I'm a completist by nature, but as I get older I find that I value my time more and that TV shows in particular really have to earn the hour a week of it that they're asking me to lay out. I'm hesitant to do so, but being an adult also means making tough decisions. Tonight I will be removing The Pacific from my DVR series recordings.

For a bit of perspective, I resolved to quit watching American Idol this year, and I may have been looking for a reason to cut back on my NBC sitcoms. Meanwhile, I watched more movies in March than in any month since January 2007. EDIT: (Which is to say, since I've been keeping a movie journal.)
Last edited by RaulMonkey on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
so sorry wrote:I tell you this: I'd rather watch the real guy's commentary over existing war footage any day over people acting it out.


Yeah, I have to echo your sentiments there, ss. Especially since I gather that they are hewing pretty close to the Marines' true stories in the show itself. It feels very episodic. Like I'm just being shown a series of events out of someone's life instead of being told an intricate and evolving story. So why pretend that it's drama? It's not working for me. And if I'm not hooked yet, I probably won't be. I'm a completist by nature, but as I get older I find that I value my time more and that TV shows in particular really have to earn the hour a week of it that they're asking me to lay out. I'm hesitant to do so, but being an adult also means making tough decisions. Tonight I will be removing The Pacific from my DVR series recordings.



Well I wouldn't go so far as to suggest to delete it from anyone's rotation. Its only a 10 p art mini-series, so if you've invested 4 hours into it already, why not see it thru?


Also, I keep waiting for R Lee Ermy to make an appearance at some point...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Well, I was ready to give it the cut after the second episode, but I held out thanks to Pacino pointing out that Herc said it picked up this week, and in the meantime I liked last week's episode a lot better. I didn't think this one was as strong as the last one though. I cared more about Leckie after getting to know him last time, but I think the story wasn't meaty enough. I don't like that we had to jump around from island to island with months in between. Was there really no story worth telling on New Britain that could have filled an entire episode? I felt a bit cheated that I didn't get to learn more about what happened there, and how the battle affected the broader war. (Granted, the fighting on New Britain extended into 1944, so I'm sure there is more story to come out of there.) Maybe my expectations were faulty going in. I thought the series was going to be an epic telling of the story of WWII, in the Pacific theatre, through the eyes of a specific group of Marines. But it's a little more like the story of a specific group of Marines against the backdrop of WWII--who happen to be fighting in WWII.
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 pm

RaulMonkey wrote: Maybe my expectations were faulty going in. I thought the series was going to be an epic telling of the story of WWII, in the Pacific theatre, through the eyes of a specific group of Marines. But it's a little more like the story of a specific group of Marines against the backdrop of WWII--who happen to be fighting in WWII.


My sentiments also. I guess I wanted it to be more like BOB, but not any a copycat way. I guess I'm picky. Want my cake and want to eat it too, etc.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:16 am

RaulMonkey wrote:
so sorry wrote:I tell you this: I'd rather watch the real guy's commentary over existing war footage any day over people acting it out.


Yeah, I have to echo your sentiments there, ss. Especially since I gather that they are hewing pretty close to the Marines' true stories in the show itself.


That was one of my problems I had with Band of Brothers, with the real commentary it felt too much like
old people telling war stories.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6227
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 am

It's alright, but I'm still not really being won over by it. It's lacking something.

I wonder if part of the problem is that it's based on two or three memoirs. Bob Leckie's story is coming across a bit too much like later season Hawkeye Pierce. The 30 second Sledge inserts seem quite pointless at the moment. And Basilone is gone now, having had the most memorable episode so far.

There are other characters that seem more interesting, but aren't being given enough screen time - Chuckler and JP Morgan for example.


One other point - I've heard several people of that generation now, who have watched it, tell me that none of the dialogue sounds like people in the 1940s talked.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:One other point - I've heard several people of that generation now, who have watched it, tell me that none of the dialogue sounds like people in the 1940s talked.


Funny you should mention that... during the last episode, when they were on the first island getting soaked to the bone, one of the guys said a phrase that I've used recently, and I immediately thought "wow, they said that way back then?". Of course I completely forget what the phrase was :oops: ... I just remember my reaction to it.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Dropping the kids off at the pool? If so, I use that one too.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Dropping the kids off at the pool? If so, I use that one too.



BINGO. That was it.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:09 am

Part 5 was infinitely better than everything preceding it, the characters all clicked, you could follow the action and very little took place at night.

Something struck me whilst watching this episode, I don't think there has been a single "Death Scene" yet, sure people have died but the closest we've got to a "you hold in there, everything is going to be okay..." or "You write & tell my wife/folks I died bravely..." etc type scene was the guy getting hit in the leg and we don't even know if he's dead yet (which was the whole point of it, Leckie not knowing and the effect that has on him).

How sick was that guy taking out the gold teeth? I've seen similar stuff in plenty of films before but the way he had that massive knife in the dead Japs mouth was pure nasty.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Maui on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 am

Private Sledge in the Pacific is like a lamb being thrown into a lion's den. I really enjoyed his introduction into the Pacific, especially on the island of Peleliu. Their approach to the island was nerve-wracking to watch. I could really feel Sledge's anxiety as they approached the island. His storyline and Leckie's are the most interesting to follow.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 am

Maui wrote:Private Sledge in the Pacific is like a lamb being thrown into a lion's den. I really enjoyed his introduction into the Pacific, especially on the island of Peleliu. Their approach to the island was nerve-wracking to watch. I could really feel Sledge's anxiety as they approached the island. His storyline and Leckie's are the most interesting to follow.



I'm beginning to wish that the whole series started last night, with Sledge's introduction to the war. That was the best episode by far for me.

The Basilone stuff, although brief, was too distracting. Although his statement to his brother "you don't have to prove anything" was touching.

They're trying to follow too many different people (like Fried Gold mentioned last week), and I think Sledge's story may be the most interesting.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15766
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby Maui on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 am

so sorry wrote:
I'm beginning to wish that the whole series started last night, with Sledge's introduction to the war. That was the best episode by far for me.

The Basilone stuff, although brief, was too distracting. Although his statement to his brother "you don't have to prove anything" was touching.

They're trying to follow too many different people (like Fried Gold mentioned last week), and I think Sledge's story may be the most interesting.


Excellent episode. The Basilone stuff felt like an excuse to have another sexcapade in an episode, too contrived. We get that he's a hero, selling US bonds, gaining celebrity status as he travels the country but it was just dull. Even the dialogue with his brother was flat. I sure hope we get more substance here.

I dunno, there are alot of people to follow but we are only given small doses of these supporting characters which isn't enough to distract or take away from the main characters (Leckie, Sledge, and Basilone).

I keep wondering if/when Sledge's heart murmur will become a major obstacle during his duty in The Pacific.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron