The Pacific

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Pacific (hey stupid, there are spoilers in here!)

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Maui wrote:I keep wondering if/when Sledge's heart murmur will become a major obstacle during his duty in The Pacific.

I keep wondering if his dad was making up the whole heart-murmur thing to satisfy his mother's desire to keep him from going to war.

Being as this guy is real, and wrote real memoirs, I'm sure that info can be had on the interwebs if someone was so inclined to go look!

I nominate.... YOU whoever reads this first
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

so sorry wrote:I nominate.... YOU whoever reads this first

Wikipedia: he in fact did have a heart murmer...

Also it says that he originally enlisted as an officer but in order to "not miss the war" he changed over to a regular private (which was not shown in The Pacific).

Actually the wiki article on him is pretty interesting (regarding his post-war life).

Like I said earlier, I think i may have liked Sledge to be the main focus of the whole miniseries, not just one of the 3 main guys.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Last night's extended battle scene on the airfield was excellent and difficult to watch. Lots of blood, head wounds and dismemberments. The conditions on Peleliu are horrendous: incredibly hot temps and no freakin' water and this was effectively captured . I felt thirsty for them.

I'm starting to like Snafu, even if he is a little shit most of the time.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Yeah, that was probably the best episode of the year, and only the second one I really enjoyed as a whole (the other being the one where Basilone opened a huge can of whoop ass on the Japs).

But I actually sort of feel like these characters just aren't as compelling as in Band of Brothers. And I know that maybe it's unfair to compare them, but it's natural. The only ones I give two shits about are Leckie, his toothy friend, and Sledge. The main captain guy has a bit of a robot quality to him that's a little off-putting, even if they're trying to make him seem to be Captain America. And I sort of dig the old man of the group. But other than that... not so much.

But a solid episode. Did anyone get the impression that we won't be seeing Leckie anymore, or his toothy friend? And just when I was finally starting to find them compelling. Oh well.

And I really sort of hate that terrorist guy (from 24) that's in Sledge's group. The guy that jakced that Jap's gold tooth. He seems like and unlikable fuck. Wouldn't mind less of him.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Did anyone get the impression that we won't be seeing Leckie anymore, or his toothy friend? And just when I was finally starting to find them compelling. Oh well.

Yeah, that seemed like a very abrupt end to Lackie and his little buddy, story wise.

Nachokoolaid wrote:And I really sort of hate that terrorist guy (from 24) that's in Sledge's group. The guy that jakced that Jap's gold tooth. He seems like and unlikable fuck. Wouldn't mind less of him.

Clearly he's the antithisis (sp?) to Sledge. War ravaged, stone hearted, worldly blah blah blah. He's a caricature to the Nth degree.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Jeebus, that was a tough episode to watch, it really portrayed how harrowing things must have been.

War is Hell
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Another solid episode. I really thought it was a strange directorial choice to have Captain America get killed offscreen. They seemed to be building him up as one of the heavies. Seems like Leckie and and his toothy friend are indeed gone for good, just as they were getting interesting. Sledge is more interesting anyway. And it looks promising that Basilone seems to be making a return in the future. The series certainly got stronger in about episode 5 or so, and I hope it finishes at least on par with where it's at now.

And I still hate that fucker Snafu. What a piece of shit. Not a good character. Perhaps the worst written character I can remember seeing in a long time. The actor just doesn't seem to know how to get a handle on him. One minute his an intolerable fuck who's playing basketball with a mushy, hollowed-out Jap head as a hoop, and the next minute he's trying to be goody two shoes and giving sage advice. What?!

And this episode really went a long way (probably truthfully so) toward making the US soldiers look like real dicks. They were absolutely cruel, and even he little saint, Sledge, tried to get in on the act. But a solid episode overall. Just inconsistent, like the series.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Maui on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
And I still hate that fucker Snafu. What a piece of shit. Not a good character. Perhaps the worst written character I can remember seeing in a long time. The actor just doesn't seem to know how to get a handle on him. One minute his an intolerable fuck who's playing basketball with a mushy, hollowed-out Jap head as a hoop, and the next minute he's trying to be goody two shoes and giving sage advice. What?!

I don't see that at all. I see an actor who is brilliantly playing a psychotic and yeah, every once in a while he will show some compassion. His character is very complex and I never thought for a minute that the actor didn't have a handle on the role.

He is a little shit but it's a real mindfuck to watch him.
Maui
WoWie

Postby John-Locke on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah, I totally agree Maui, he's damaged goods because of the War, he's gone past the point of no return mentally and he doesn't want Sledge to follow in his footsteps. The actor conveys that madness with some small underlying trace of humanity left intact perfectly.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 pm

John-Locke wrote:Yeah, I totally agree Maui, he's damaged goods because of the War, he's gone past the point of no return mentally and he doesn't want Sledge to follow in his footsteps. The actor conveys that madness with some small underlying trace of humanity left intact perfectly.

I don't buy that for a sec. He was doing sick shit as soon as he showed up. His goods weren't damaged because of the war. If there was no war, he'd be home sitting in a prison cell for multiple homicide and rape or something, or worse, he'd still be getting away with it, looking for his next victim.

The thing that gets me is that the writers sometimes try to make him a bit sympathetic, which is ridiculous. He's despicable. Some of his "honorable" speeches would be better served coming from (the now deceased cap) or even the old guy. Wasted on him, it seems, because he's beyond the point where most people would give a shit about him. I'm more sympathetic toward the Jap that Sledge killed at point blank range this week, because at least he has some sort of code of honor.

Bah, wasted too much breath on that fuck already. I truly hope that he is a created character for "dramatic" purposes and that no such person ever existed. Or if he did, he was nothing like he's being portrayed here. And if that's the case, and I was his family, I'd fucking sue Tom Hanks, HBO, the author, and whoever else had a hand in slandering my relative's memory.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Malek's Shelton is a man turned inside out, one capable of committing unconscionable acts to both the living and the dead. And yet, at times, he becomes the conscience of his fellow marines. In his Big Easy accent, he warns those he sees heading down his own dark, well-worn path.

"He was dead inside by all he had seen, but if there was a spark of innocence in him, if he couldn't go back to that, he tried to save the innocence of others," Malek said.

When asked if the real-life Shelton really did the things unflinchingly captured in the miniseries, Malek explained, "Shelton is mentioned in the book 'With the Old Breed,' written by Eugene Sledge (who's played by Joe Mazzello in the series). The things that happen in the movie, we aren't 100 percent sure he did them."

Well, Snafu Shelton is more than mentioned in Sledge's (terrific, brutal) book; he's woven throughout it. When I read "With the Old Breed" a few years back, it was difficult to wrap my mind around the idea that the Marine who committed and endured the savagery of the Pacific campaign was our neighbor, Mr. Merriell. But he was. He lived with his sweet wife, Miss Gladys, and his two sons in a little brick house on Highway 61, a mile or so away. He was an air conditioner repairman and installer; you can see a scar on the ceiling of my mom and dad's living room ceiling where Snafu accidentally put his foot through the sheetrock when he was putting in the ducts in our place. His younger son and I played baseball together in the summer leagues. We'd see Snafu at the games, but he kept to himself. He was short and stocky, and had a hard, hard face. He smoked filterless cigarettes, I remember that, and that he loved to gamble. But mostly, he was this distant, mysterious man.

I remember my Dad telling me once that Mr. Merriell had seen some hellacious fighting in the Second World War, but I don't think any of us really knew what that meant until Sledge's book came out. My uncle took a role in bringing Sledge and Snafu together for a reunion, which took place around his table.

It was a revelation to me to read in Sledge's book what, exactly, the quiet, hard man who lived in the little brick house down the road had done early in his life. He was a ruthless killer, which is only to say that he was a brave, effective soldier in a terrible war that he didn't choose. Reading the Sledge memoir, I wondered how in the world a man can come through that kind of hell, and have anything like a normal life. I guess Snafu did, but I really don't know. He was our neighbor, but a loner. You never know about people, do you?

He died a long time ago, as did Miss Gladys, and his older son Floyd, a talented teenage ballplayer who'd gotten mixed up in drugs. His younger son Allen -- my old playmate -- survives, I think, but I don't know where he moved off to. In a dark and bizarre coda to the tale, Snafu's old house on Highway 61 was later inhabited by the infamous Derrick Todd Lee, who was living there while he was carrying out his serial murders. (We're pretty certain that he stalked my sister, his former classmate, for a time -- that story is here.)

Ok. Well, that's somewhat encouraging that the writers are just pulling shit out of their asses.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I don't buy that for a sec. He was doing sick shit as soon as he showed up. His goods weren't damaged because of the war. If there was no war, he'd be home sitting in a prison cell for multiple homicide and rape or something, or worse, he'd still be getting away with it, looking for his next victim.

I thought that when Sledge was assigned to Snafu's mortar squad it was explained that he (Snafu) had been in the war since the beginning. So he didn't just show up and start collectiing teeth, at the point we meet him he's already battle weary and war ravaged. I personally think the character is a bit to obvious, but I don't really get the overwhelming hate you have for him.

Great great episode overall, but was their any doubt that the Skipperwas going to die this week?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am

As a standalone episode, that wasn't bad. I still have problems with the series as a whole.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:09 am

I think Snafu is damaged goods before he even sets foot on enemy soil. The war just sends him over the edge.

FG, where did your little piece on how they do the animation for the opening sequence go? I can't seem to find it anymore.

There seems to be alot of discussion on BOB in this thread (which I haven't seen). Do you all feel it is a better series?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Maui wrote:I think Snafu is damaged goods before he even sets foot on enemy soil. The war just sends him over the edge.

And let's not forget that Snafu wasn't quite as green as Sledge & co and had already seen action. In the same way, Sledge's friend from back home clearly wasn't the same person as when they'd last seen each other. Snafu likely isn't any different.

FG, where did your little piece on how they do the animation for the opening sequence go? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Don't know what's happened to it, it was above. Here's the link again - http://www.artofthetitle.com/2010/04/26/the-pacific/

There seems to be alot of discussion on BOB in this thread (which I haven't seen). Do you all feel it is a better series?

Band of Brothers is the better series.

I still can't quite put my finger on why The Pacific isn't quite working for me. I think The Pacific slightly suffers from being based on two different narratives - one from Leckie's book, one from Sledge's. They should've picked one or the other.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Maui wrote:I think Snafu is damaged goods before he even sets foot on enemy soil. The war just sends him over the edge.

And let's not forget that Snafu wasn't quite as green as Sledge & co and had already seen action. In the same way, Sledge's friend from back home clearly wasn't the same person as when they'd last seen each other. Snafu likely isn't any different.

It's purely speculation on my part. We all know these soldiers go into war (for the most part) with a healthy state of mind but don't always come home the same way.

Don't know what's happened to it, it was above. Here's the link again - http://www.artofthetitle.com/2010/04/26/the-pacific/

Thanks for that. Usually for most of my DVR recordings I speed through the intros, but I really enjoy watching this opening sequence. It's nice to see the nuts and bolts behind it. The charcoal/graphite drawings are amazing. I also love the score by Hans Zimmer, Geoff Zanelli, and Blake Neely.
Maui
WoWie

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

I had a weird moment last night when I watched this week's installment:

So it was a pretty gruesome episode, right? Lots of blood and guts and tragedy out the ying yang and such.

So about 30 minutes after I watched it, my wife went to bed and I started my recent nightly ritual of playing a game on my new PS3. That game? Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Without thinking I just jumped right back into the level I'm currently on, and started blasting dudes away without a care in the world. It hit me about 10 minutes in that I had a sense that I shouldn't be playing this particular game right now (you know, given what I had just watched on The Pacific). Kinda felt like I was being disrespectful to real soldiers right at that moment, so I did in fact turn the game off.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 pm

I know what you mean, it really was a pretty disturbing episode, I'd go as far as to say it was worse than the Beach Landings in Private Ryan in some ways, I actually think it was also better than any single episode of BoB in terms of portraying just how damaging War can be to the Soul, when that old guy cracked you felt that shit.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:30 pm

I noticed that older soldier was Mickey from 90s aussie drama Police Rescue.

...assumes everybody remembers Police Rescue...
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I noticed that older soldier was Mickey from 90s aussie drama Police Rescue.

...assumes everybody remembers Police Rescue...

I wish we would get more of his character. I like him.

And I'm not saying a hate Snafu. I'm sure the real guy was an okay guy. Seemed rather well adjusted once he got back to the states. But I don't think he's being portrayed in an accurate way. I think it's more to illicit some carnal responses from modern audiences who expect something a bit more sinister when it comes to what the war did to these men. And I think most here were very quick to use that as an easy out when describing all the Struggling Background Artist things he was doing.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 am

Well that episode was a kick in the balls. Starting with the voice over intro where were we find out that the island of Peleliu ultimately wasn't used for shit, despite what these guys went thru to take it.

I enjoyed the basic training scenes quite a bit. Fast forwarded thru Basilone's scenes with his new squeeze, then was completely blown away (no pun intended) but the Iwo Jima battle. What an intense way to end the episode. I gotta go look up some Basilone facts on the interwebs, cause that guy has balls of steel.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 am

Yeah, other than my wife and mother in law giggling at the nudity in the episode, I thought it was damn good. Basilone has been my favorite from the beginning, and I think I'm truly sad to see him go. And R.I.P. What a brave man. If this wasn't based on a true story, we would have found out that the wife was impregnated in those scenes, and she raised John's boy and they lived happily ever after. I guess real life doesn't follow the script sometimes.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am

From Wikipedia, regarding Basilone on Iwo Jima

After his request to return to the fleet was approved, he was assigned to Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 27th Marine Regiment, 5th Marine Division during the invasion of Iwo Jima. On February 19, 1945 he was serving as a machine-gun section leader in action against Japanese forces on Red Beach II. During the battle, the Japanese concentrated their fire at the incoming Americans from heavily fortified blockhouses staged throughout the island. With his unit pinned down, Basilone made his way around the side of the Japanese positions until he was directly on top of the blockhouse. He then attacked with grenades and demolitions, single handedly destroying the entire strongpoint and its defending garrison. He then fought his way toward Airfield Number 1 and aided an American tank that was trapped in an enemy mine field under intense mortar and artillery barrages. He guided the heavy vehicle over the hazardous terrain to safety, despite heavy weapons fire from the Japanese. As he moved along the edge of the airfield, an exploding mortar shell instantly killed him. For his actions during the battle of Iwo Jima, he was posthumously approved for the Marine Corps' second highest decoration for bravery, the Navy Cross.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Mon May 10, 2010 11:19 am

OK, that was the most gut-wrenching episode of this series. Hands down. I thought last week's installment, with thedeath of Basilone, was a kick to the balls. I had no idea my balls could be kicked further up my body cavity.

Seriously, heart-breaking shit. How the hell did these guys came out of those situations without the need to blow their own brains out?

So next week is the end. An everybody-at-home episode. Probably a tear jerker, but I doubt it will be as emotionally gut punching as this last one. I had thought about seeking out Sledge's book, but if it's filled with woe like I just watched, I don't think I want to read it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Tue May 11, 2010 11:00 pm

so sorry wrote:OK, that was the most gut-wrenching episode of this series. Hands down. I thought last week's installment, with thedeath of Basilone, was a kick to the balls. I had no idea my balls could be kicked further up my body cavity.

Seriously, heart-breaking shit. How the hell did these guys came out of those situations without the need to blow their own brains out?

So next week is the end. An everybody-at-home episode. Probably a tear jerker, but I doubt it will be as emotionally gut punching as this last one. I had thought about seeking out Sledge's book, but if it's filled with woe like I just watched, I don't think I want to read it.

Out of all the episodes, Part 9 - Battle of Okinawa was the most difficult to watch. The scenes with the civilians (especially the baby and the dying woman in the hut) just gutted me. It was heartbreaking to see the devastation that took place on Okinawa.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Agreed. That episode seemed the most personal of the series. I'd like to see how this series effects the careers of those involved. A few of the BOB guys turned their opportunities into solid TV work (on stuff like ER or Desperate Houswives, to name a couple). I'd like to see the actors playing Sledge and Basilone get more work.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Jakester on Mon May 17, 2010 9:59 am

Seeing the hell these guys suffered through, it disgusts me when I hear about how poorly our Vets get treated by our own government.
Jakester
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MacCready on Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 am

Jakester wrote:Seeing the hell these guys suffered through, it disgusts me when I hear about how poorly our Vets get treated by our own government.

But not surprising. Vets have always been shat upon after the wars finish, whether they were members of the "Bonus Army" that were fired on by their own country ( led by Douglas MacArthur), the English sailors that were just dumped onto the docks and left to wander, ragged and starving after the Spanish Armada was defeated or Viet Nam vets who were spat on in airports.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 17, 2010 8:26 pm

So what did everyone think of the conclusion? I thought it was okay. I thought BOB's was much more emotional/fitting. It didn't identify some of the older gentlemen that had been telling us pieces of stories all along. I was like, "What the hell, were these just random guys or something?" Sad that most of the principle guys from these stories had already passed.

I'll be honest, I think the series should have ended last week? Did anything from this past episode seem absolutely crucial to the plot? I guess Leckie got the girl that we saw for 2 and a half minutes in the opening episode. I don't know. I expected it to be anti-climactic, but it was even more than I expected.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Mon May 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Beings that I'm one of the 3 or 4 Zoners who followed this (and posted about it) I thought I'd jump in real quick and say that I haven't had a chance to watch the finale yet, but when i do I'll come back and give my report. Although I suspect a similar reaction to your Nacho...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MacCready on Tue May 18, 2010 12:18 am

so sorry wrote:Beings that I'm one of the 3 or 4 Zoners who followed this (and posted about it) I thought I'd jump in real quick and say that I haven't had a chance to watch the finale yet

The Americans win.
Shit. Is that a spoiler? My bad.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby John-Locke on Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 pm

I thought the finale was excellent, probably the best episode of the whole show. It was just very, very sad.

:P
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm

I watched all 10 episodes over the past week. It really touched me. One of the guys featured on the show who is still alive lives out here in Stockton. I am tempted to drive up there, go to his house, knock on the door, and give him a big hug.

The thing I liked most about this series is how it made an attempt to look at how war effects individuals. There was a Star Trek:TNG episode with a comment by Chief O'Brien that sums up what "The Pacific" tried to show us. On the ST show O'Brien was trying to be social to some Cardassians in 10 forward. He said "I didn't hate you for what you did, I hated you for what you made me become." That is the truth of it, war causes one to do things that are abhorrent, terrible, and shameful. Then one has to live with it for the rest of their life.

All of the characters were real people, and "The Pacific" reminded me, and should remind us all, that combat veterans deserve to be treated with respect, admiration, and compassion. We all need to remember that.

When we learn how to make peace easier than making war, maybe humanity will have a chance to avoid extinction.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby Jabbadonut on Sat May 22, 2010 11:51 pm

I was watching highlights of the Phillies - Red Sox game on ESPN and the story was that Daisuke Matsuzaka was pitching a no-hitter into the 8th inning. The camera panned to a group of American fans who were bowing in unison towards him. A Japanese player, being honored by American fans without reservations. It struck me that WWII is just history for our generation of Americans and Japanese. We have forgiven one another and moved on. And then I am reminded of the Dallas fans cheering for Dirk Nowitzki. That is another example or how enemies can forgive one another. If that war gave us the friendships we now have with Germany and Japan, then it wasn't fought in vain.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Mon May 24, 2010 3:53 pm

John-Locke wrote:I thought the finale was excellent, probably the best episode of the whole show. It was just very, very sad.

:P

Yeah I didn't feel anything one way or the other really. A good episode, and as per the previous 9, the Sledge storyline is all that I really cared about. That Lackey guy really seemed like a douche to me, pre-, during- and post-war. As I said earlier in this thread, I think a 10 part miniseries dealing with only Sledge would have been better IMO.

And was I the only one who didn't know who 80% of the people were in that ending montage? Seriously, aside from 3 or 4 guys, I was scratching my head trying to remember them from the earlier episodes.

Good series overall, I'd give it a B. With a spike to A+ for episodes 8 and 9.

Next up for Hanks and the Berg?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: The Pacific

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 24, 2010 6:45 pm

It was good, not great.

It worked a lot better when following Sledge's story. I personally would've preferred more time/episodes spent with that.

Strangely, I they completely cut down one of Sledge's memorable moments in post-war life. His full reply to the university admissions clerk was:

"You know what, there was a war going on in the Pacific. A killing war. The Corps taught me two things - how to kill Japs and how to stay alive. Some of us had to do the killing and a lot of my friends got killed. If that doesn't get me onto any college course then I'm sorry, but that's what I know."

...which I think had more impact that the shortened one-liner they gave Mazzello.

Something else lacking from the series - a reason for the fighting. They kept emphasising the point that they were fighting for seemingly insignifcant bits of land and that the Japanese were the enemy. But they failed to acknowledge why Japan was the enemy, which slightly cheapens the sacrifices made.

That Rami Malek is an odd fellow.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Something else lacking from the series - a reason for the fighting. They kept emphasising the point that they were fighting for seemingly insignifcant bits of land and that the Japanese were the enemy. But they failed to acknowledge why Japan was the enemy, which slightly cheapens the sacrifices made.

That doesn't seem as important to me. There are so many sources of information about WHY the Pacific Theatre and the war effort in general was important; the attempt at verisimilitude that they seemed to be going for here is rarer. A couple of speeches are one thing, but to take a step back and emphasize what they're fighting for might not jibe with the style of the series when the people fighting weren't entirely sure themselves at the time (slightly different example, but kind of how most of the characters keep expecting the war to end within a year the whole time).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue May 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Something else lacking from the series - a reason for the fighting. They kept emphasising the point that they were fighting for seemingly insignifcant bits of land and that the Japanese were the enemy. But they failed to acknowledge why Japan was the enemy, which slightly cheapens the sacrifices made.

That doesn't seem as important to me. There are so many sources of information about WHY the Pacific Theatre and the war effort in general was important; the attempt at verisimilitude that they seemed to be going for here is rarer. A couple of speeches are one thing, but to take a step back and emphasize what they're fighting for might not jibe with the style of the series when the people fighting weren't entirely sure themselves at the time (slightly different example, but kind of how most of the characters keep expecting the war to end within a year the whole time).

Yeah I'd have to agree with Ribbons here. I wanted a personal story from the soldier's point of view, not some global notion of why the war started etc. Now if your beef is that Sledge et al never really explained why they wanted to join up to fight the war, then you got something there.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Previous

Return to Coaxial