The Pacific

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Lots of information and some production photos are up here:

http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

And Dale Dye, who's training the cast and acting in it, has a blog up here.

It's always bloody Dale Dye, isn't it?
Consistency should count for something, nu?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri May 30, 2008 7:10 pm

I have only one question: Is this going to be an excellent, moving drama piece that is well written and well directed like BOB...or is it going to be more 'America won WWII single handed!!' like Saving Private Ryan was?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:I have only one question: Is this going to be an excellent, moving drama piece that is well written and well directed like BOB...or is it going to be more 'America won WWII single handed!!' like Saving Private Ryan was?

America didn't win that war single handed.
Hollywood did.
They've got the proof on celluloid...
The Vicar

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:I have only one question: Is this going to be an excellent, moving drama piece that is well written and well directed like BOB...or is it going to be more 'America won WWII single handed!!' like Saving Private Ryan was?

haha, i've heard people say that a few times. How exactly is SPR saying that? It has (a lot of) flaws, sure, but I'm not certain that's one of them...

and the answer is...the first thing you said.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri May 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

haha, i've heard people say that a few times. How exactly is SPR saying that? It has (a lot) of flaws, sure, but I'm not certain that's one of them...

Do you remember seeing a single British soldier in that movie? Anywhere at all? Just once? It depicts a war faught only by Americans and Germans. That's not how it went down sir, as I'm sure you well know being an intelligent individual like yourself (with a well deserved udder fetish). :D

Lord Voldemoo wrote:and the answer is...the first thing you said.

Krishna be praised!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

haha, i've heard people say that a few times. How exactly is SPR saying that? It has (a lot) of flaws, sure, but I'm not certain that's one of them...

Do you remember seeing a single British soldier in that movie? Anywhere at all? Just once? It depicts a war faught only by Americans and Germans. That's not how it went down sir, as I'm sure you well know being an intelligent individual like yourself (with a well deserved udder fetish). :D

heheh, i knew you were going to say that.

Addressed here a while back...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

heheh, i knew you were going to say that.

Addressed here a while back...

Have read the post in question. I am now going to make a cup of tea to wash down my rather large slice of humble pie with :oops:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 pm

The British were all at a different beachhead than the Americans. ( The British, I believe were on Gold Beach on one flank of Omaha Beach, and Juno Beach had the Canadians on the other flank: both saw considerably less resistance than Omaha beach did. ) It would have been unlikely for an American team of soldiers, pushing out into enemy territory from the centre, would have met any British of Canadian troops.
The Vicar

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 30, 2008 7:28 pm

heh, no worries, WPAO, i totally set you up. I just like spouting off WWII facts from time to time. :D

That said, i would love to see a modern day D-Day film with a broader scope, ala The Longest Day. So many incredible stories, like the Pegasus Bridge story (with the British glider-borne paratroopers).

Anyway, the scope of the new BOB remains to be seen. But i would expect it to be pretty american-centric. Most of the island-hopping fighting done in the Pacific theater was American troops, and there was not a great deal of intermingling of forces with the British or other allies that I am aware of. Between Europe and North Africa the British pretty well hand their hands full.

And of course the Russians were completely absent.

douches.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby scors50 on Fri May 30, 2008 7:51 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:Every American Joe Average, not a single limey on the old D-Day landings???

and no friendly fire??? for the country with the most guns in the world you guys are a lousy shot... :roll: :wink: (runs and hides...)

Nothing in BoB about the landings at all--only the airborne drops the night before. The Brits dropped too, at Merville and other Rangers attacked the gun Battery at Pointe-du Hoc--but this was about a specific company, in a specific unit, like the book, that fought all the way from Normandy, the Ardennes and took Wolf's Lair. That's why Ambrose concentrated on it. The only other unit involved in more crucial combat was the Big Red 1.
scors50
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm

scors50 wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:E very American Joe Average, not a single limey on the old D-Day landings???

and no friendly fire??? for the country with the most guns in the world you guys are a lousy shot... :roll: :wink: (runs and hides...)

Nothing in BoB about the landings at all--only the airborne drops the night before. The Brits dropped too, at Merville and other Rangers attacked the gun Battery at Pointe-du Hoc--but this was about a specific company, in a specific unit, like the book, that fought all the way from Normandy, the Ardennes and took Wolf's Lair. That's why Ambrose concentrated on it. The only other unit involved in more crucial combat was the Big Red 1.

Yay! What he said.

Except it wasn't the Wolf's Lair, it was the Eagle's Nest. The Wolf's Lair was in Poland.

And yeah, it was the concentration on a single company of soldiers and the ability to get into their "characters" (some more than others, obviously) that made BoB (book and mini) so fanfuckingtastic.
Lord Voldemoo

Re:

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:And of course the Russians were completely absent.

douches.

Weren't the Russians part of the Allied Forces??

Churchill (Warren Clarke), Roosevelt (Alec Guinness) and Stalin (Daniel Day Lewis)
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Re: The Pacific (Band Of Brothers Sequel!!!!!!!!)

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:38 pm

The truth is that the War in Europe was won because of the Russians, a fucking shit load of those commies died too but they gave the Nazis such a hard fight that Hitler had to move most his troops to the eastern front leaving Western Europe vulnerable, most of the machine gunners in Normandy on D-Day were teenagers. Also if Rommel was given the reinforcements he asked for we would have never got past those beaches.

I don't know as much about the Pacific War (I worked on a D-Day Docudrama for the BBC/Discovery Channel) but I think the Brits were in places like Burma getting Tortured and forced to build bridges and shit.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 pm

John-Locke wrote:The truth is that the War in Europe was won because of the Russians, a fucking shit load of those commies died too but they gave the Nazis such a hard fight that Hitler had to move most his troops to the eastern front leaving Western Europe vulnerable, most of the machine gunners in Normandy on D-Day were teenagers. Also if Rommel was given the reinforcements he asked for we would have never got past those beaches.

I don't know as much about the Pacific War (I worked on a D-Day Docudrama for the BBC/Discovery Channel) but I think the Brits were in places like Burma getting Tortured and forced to build bridges and shit.

yeah, but if it wasn't for you Brits putting up such a good fight and delaying Hitler's timetable for invading Russia, thereby causing them to get stuck in that killer winter right on the outskirts of Moscow, the Nazi's may have very well been able to take and hold Moscow and more before the Russians were able to regroup and mount their counter-offensive.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:58 am

John-Locke wrote:I don't know as much about the Pacific War (I worked on a D-Day Docudrama for the BBC/Discovery Channel) but I think the Brits were in places like Burma getting Tortured and forced to build bridges and shit.

That reminds me...

if you want to talk about innacurate WW2 films,then The Bridge On The River Kwai is pretty high on the list.

Wiki wrote:Although the suffering caused by the building of the Burma Railway and its bridges is true, the incidents portrayed in the film are mostly fictional. Historically the conditions were much worse. The real senior Allied officer at the bridge was Lieutenant Colonel Philip Toosey. Some consider the film to be an insulting parody of Toosey. On a BBC Timewatch programme, a former prisoner at the camp states that it is unlikely that a man like the fictional Nicholson could have risen to the rank of lieutenant colonel; and if he had, he would have been "quietly eliminated" by the other prisoners. Julie Summers, in her book The Colonel of Tamarkan, writes that Pierre Boulle, who had been a prisoner of war in Thailand, created the fictional Nicholson character as an amalgam of his memories of collaborating French officers.

Toosey was very different from Nicholson and was certainly not a collaborator who felt obliged to work with the Japanese. Toosey in fact did as much to delay the building of the bridge as possible. Whereas Nicholson disapproves of acts of sabotage and other deliberate attempts to delay progress, Toosey encouraged this: white ants were collected in large numbers to eat the wooden structures, and the concrete was badly mixed.

Some of the characters in the film have the names of real people who were involved in the Burma Railway. Neither their roles nor their characters appear to be portrayed accurately. For example, historically a Sergeant-Major Saito was second in command at the camp. In the film a colonel of the same name is camp commandant. In reality, Saito was respected by his prisoners for being comparatively merciful and fair towards them; Toosey later defended him in his war crimes trial after the war, and the two became friends.

The destruction of the bridge as depicted in the film is entirely fictional. In fact, two bridges were built: a temporary wooden bridge and a permanent steel and concrete bridge a few months later. Both bridges were used for two years, until they were destroyed by Allied aerial bombing. The steel bridge was repaired and is still in use today.

But Sir Alec Guiness still pwns in that flick.

Hopefully the accuracy will improve in this genre,but until then I'll still be entertained by these films.

Besides, I base my opinions of history around the facts obtained from those most irrefutable of sources...

PBS and the History channel. :)

Oh,and YAY for more BOB!
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Peven wrote:
John-Locke wrote:The truth is that the War in Europe was won because of the Russians, a fucking shit load of those commies died too but they gave the Nazis such a hard fight that Hitler had to move most his troops to the eastern front leaving Western Europe vulnerable, most of the machine gunners in Normandy on D-Day were teenagers. Also if Rommel was given the reinforcements he asked for we would have never got past those beaches.

yeah, but if it wasn't for you Brits putting up such a good fight and delaying Hitler's timetable for invading Russia, thereby causing them to get stuck in that killer winter right on the outskirts of Moscow, the Nazi's may have very well been able to take and hold Moscow and more before the Russians were able to regroup and mount their counter-offensive.

all true, but I was talking about the Pacific.

Weren't the Russians part of the Allied Forces??

In the European Theater. The Russians had absolutely zero involvement in the Pacific, they didn't declare war on Japan until AFTER Hiroshima, they invaded Manchuria a day or two before Japan's surrender. Not that they could have done differently, they were too hard pressed by the Germans to provide any meaningful assistance in the Pacific or Asia.
Lord Voldemoo

Re: The Pacific (Band Of Brothers Sequel!!!)

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Yay! History is fun!! :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:48 am

Trailer for it here.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:00 am

Nope.
I read a month ago about the trailer and it was pulled then, too.

How did it look?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:17 am

Shit, got me all excited there...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 am

Fievel wrote:Nope.
I read a month ago about the trailer and it was pulled then, too.

How did it look?

Quite good actually. It showed a beach landing with lots going on - visual FX aplenty - very rousing and dramatic. Looks properly epic.

I think it was for the Australian market, possibly trying to sell it to the networks. Not sure why HBO would pull it though. Do they not want publicity?

EDIT: Updated because I'm so awesome to you and thought to use DownloadHelper earlier before it was taken down:
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 am

Good to hear it looked good.

HBO's lack of promotion on this show is pissing me off.
What are they waiting for?

The Australian trailer is what I read about. HBO has been patrolling the video sites like crazy.
They've pretty much pulled them as soon as they've been posted.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 am

Eh, that trailer wasn't much really. Not much different than the Normandy landing from Saving Private Ryan.

I'm still stoked about this series, but that trailer did nothing for me.

And where have I seen that kid before? He's some former child actor, right?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 am

Ohmygod! Ohmygod! Ohmygod!
FG you're my hero of the day!!!!!!

That was twenty different shades of awesome for me!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 pm

forty different shades of awesome for this little hobbit!
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:10 pm

so sorry wrote:Eh, that trailer wasn't much really. Not much different than the Normandy landing from Saving Private Ryan.

Obsessed-with-dinosaurs Kid from Jurassic Park.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:Eh, that trailer wasn't much really. Not much different than the Normandy landing from Saving Private Ryan.

Obsessed-with-dinosaurs Kid from Jurassic Park.

Bingo.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeah it was OK. Shrugs shoulders.

Looks like Saving Private Ribeenaa - only less so.

Also flashing 'FILMED IN AUSTRALIA FOLKS!!!!! WOOHOOO!!' Right over the first few clips really took me out of the picture and delivered me from any feeling of reality or like I was really here in the war - which was the point of a movie/TV show like this, wasn't it?

Instead of thinking, 'I better watch out for that bullet' all I could think about was getting vengeance on hat jellyfish in Coogee Beach that kicked my ass and hat ht redhead chick who I thought I was gonna marry and stay with there who tried to make me believe was a hooker who wanted $800 deposit so she could take her friends home then come back and get a hotel room with me!!! I would have paid her upfront if she at least let me put my hand up her skirt as some guarantee at least. :P :P :P

Ellen - :P - why didn't you tell me!??!!?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nick on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:17 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm still stoked about this series, but that trailer did nothing for me.

Which is probably why HBO has been pulling it down every time it shows up online. :)
It wasn't even listed in the '2009 shows' promo that HBO ran before/after that 'We Are The One' Barack Obama concert in January, which I thought was odd

2010 maybe?
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Nick wrote:
so sorry wrote:I'm still stoked about this series, but that trailer did nothing for me.

Which is probably why HBO has been pulling it down every time it shows up online. :)
It wasn't even listed in the '2009 shows' promo that HBO ran before/after that 'We Are The One' Barack Obama concert in January, which I thought was odd

2010 maybe?

Australia's Network 7 seem to be set in showing it this year. I doubt HBO, being the main financier, would want to play second fiddle.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:10 pm

True but we got the Saddam Hussein drama thingy here in the UK last year and I don't think it's aired yet on HBO (don't know if they were the main financiers or if they think it's any good though).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby fangeek on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:22 pm

being a huge fan of BOB the miniseries and reading stephen ambrose's bokk and dick winters book i can honestly say that i am waiting for this series with bated breath. I have followed and read almost all things dealing with WWII because my grandfather was a POW during the war. I hope that like BOB, Saving Private Ryan, and the Longest Day that the Pacific is able to treat men like my grandfather with the respect they earned by being the men they were.
fangeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:06 am

Seeing the Band of Brothers thread made me look into updates for this.

The latest....

It's going to air in Australia first at the end of this year. HBO in the US and Sky in the UK will show it in March of 2010.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 pm

It still... STILL boggles the mind that there is no advance publicity for this.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Big Jim on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Fievel wrote:It still... STILL boggles the mind that there is no advance publicity for this.

Maybe they are putting all their money on-screen and have left only enough for publicity closer to airing. I am surprised, in this day and age of torrents, they would air it first in Australia and 6 months later in the US & UK (and, I'm assuming, here in Canada).
Big Jim
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Big Jim wrote:I am surprised, in this day and age of torrents, they would air it first in Australia and 6 months later in the US & UK (and, I'm assuming, here in Canada).

Excellent point regarding the day and age of torrents.
I wonder if they got a tax incentive to film there, or maybe the Seven network (Australia) had the biggest financial stake in it and called dibs to air if first.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Big Jim on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Fievel wrote:...maybe the Seven network (Australia) had the biggest financial stake in it and called dibs to air if first.

That could be. It doesn't make much sense otherwise, for HBO, who will get new subscribers just for this series, to risk losing viewers who want to see it when they can rather than whenever HBO gets around to airing it.
Big Jim
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nick on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 am

Big Jim wrote:
Fievel wrote:It still... STILL boggles the mind that there is no advance publicity for this.

Maybe they are putting all their money on-screen and have left only enough for publicity closer to airing. I am surprised, in this day and age of torrents, they would air it first in Australia and 6 months later in the US & UK (and, I'm assuming, here in Canada).

I dunno... Secret Life of a Call Girl was aired in the UK and it was successful enough in the USA a year later that Showtime wants more episodes.

If the series is good it could actually help the US audience from positive buzz. A lot of TV shows are leaking their first episodes to torrent sites to build excitement for new shows/seasons.

HBO probably assumes that people won't want to watch it on their computers and not enough people have ways to watch it in HD on their TVs that really people will just give up and wait a few months. Most of the $$$ will probably come from DVD/BD sales anyways.
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 am

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 am

Fievel wrote:TRAILER!!!!!

Excellent. Can't fucking wait.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Looks good for sure, although I'm a little concerned with the amount of "sex" scenes that were sprinkled in there. Not that I have a problem with sex in movies/tv, but it seemed really out of place given the subject matter.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm

so sorry wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Looks good for sure, although I'm a little concerned with the amount of "sex" scenes that were sprinkled in there. Not that I have a problem with sex in movies/tv, but it seemed really out of place given the subject matter.

I had the same thought, but I think (I need to watch it again) it looked like each of the shots in the trailer looked like they may have come from the same scene, so it's probably just marketing and probably not indicative of the amount of sex in the miniseries.

That's just a guess, but given that it's Hanks and Spielberg, and given their obvious love for the subject matter, I don't think we have to worry too much about it being turned into Pearl Harbor.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 pm

That'll be a first day purchase for me as soon as the DVD hits.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Terrance Malick's The Pacific?

Looks good, but hopefully they won't get overly sentimental in tone.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:52 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I had the same thought, but I think (I need to watch it again) it looked like each of the shots in the trailer looked like they may have come from the same scene, so it's probably just marketing and probably not indicative of the amount of sex in the miniseries.

That's just a guess, but given that it's Hanks and Spielberg, and given their obvious love for the subject matter, I don't think we have to worry too much about it being turned into Pearl Harbor.

My thought of concern was that those scenes appear to take the viewer away from the war - something that never happened in Band of Brothers.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:00 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Hasn't this damn series come out yet?! :evil:

Time this thing comes out, the bloody war will be OVER!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:37 pm

I think they are slowly going to release the entire series thru teaser trailers.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:43 pm

I didn't watch BAND OF BROTHERS, but this looks pretty bad ass.

Is BOB worth checking out? I think I remember hearing good things, but I could be mistaken. I know the production was exceptional, but how about the acting/writing/etc?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I didn't watch BAND OF BROTHERS, but this looks pretty bad ass.

Is BOB worth checking out? I think I remember hearing good things, but I could be mistaken. I know the production was exceptional, but how about the acting/writing/etc?

Ok Lecko, seriously...BOB is easily the best thing that's ever been on HBO. I'm probably in the minority on this one but it's actually the best thing I've ever seen on TV period and is right up there with my favorite films of all time. Acting is fantastic. Writing is fantastic. It's based on true events and real people (for real, not "influenced by" bullshit).

It's flat out amazing. I've watched the entire series at least 10 times.
Lord Voldemoo

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial