Weeds (SPOILERS!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Weeds (SPOILERS!)

Postby John-Locke on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Have any of you been watching Weeds? I've just watched the first five episodes & it is pretty damn good, I believe if you have the channel Showtime they are showing a marathon right now.

I recognized the name of one of the directors, Burr Steers. A quick trip to IMDB confirmed it, he Directed Iggby Goes Down and was the guy on the couch in Pulp Fiction (I think?), that was a great epsode.

It keeps getting better as the series progresses but I don't want to give away any spoilers, if you aren't already watching this, do so now you putzes.

BTW The music over the opening titles "Little Boxes" is fucking brilliant.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:25 pm

damn, i thought this thread was about marijuana.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bean on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:36 pm

Me too... is that a bad thing?

Anyway, I heard good things about this show, but I don't get Showtime..
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:58 pm

The Show is about Weed in case you didn't know, well to be more precise about a widowed soccer mom dealing weed.

If you just want to talk about weed that fine with me, what are you smoking???

Do you have problems scoring good shit?

Drug are bad M'kay
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:09 pm

how easy is it for you guys to hook up over in england? i never have too much trouble here, but the last time i was in england (im 50% english and have family over there) i was freaking out, because i was totally dry, and i didnt know how or where to go to get any. the closest i came was when i was at the Dali exhibit at that art gallery that is next to the Eye, and i saw some asian kid firing up a f a t one on the steps. i have never been so jealous. I felt like those starved guys on that raft in that bugs bunny cartoon "waikiki wabbit" when thay look at each other, and they see giant turkey legs. i was with my parents, so i couldnt very well just walk over, and try to buy. plus, i was afraid of some sort of foriegn prosecution. i had to wait 2 weeks until i could get over to amsterdam, where i (of course) went hog fucking nuts. so, lay it on me, JL where are the good spots in the uk to score some dank. ive been planning a return trip ever since, but going for that long with out the sweet caress of mary jane is a frightening prospect.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:11 pm

f a t comes up as studly... hahaha that was almost funny enough to keep
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:54 pm

The best place to score weed is in England is suburbia, or Brixton if you are desperate and can deal with all the ripoff merchants, not many dealers advertise the fact they have weed, it's more who you know, or friends of friends etc. if you know what I mean.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:57 pm

yeah, i kind of figured that was my problem. i might as well have worn a sandwich board that read "TOURIST LOOKING FOR WEED". i wanted to ask my cousins, because im sure they knew how to get it, but i didnt want to put anybody in an uncomfortable position. is brixton really as crime ridden as my mom tells me? i mean, a lot of good bands play the brixton academy.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:48 am

I just started watching this, and I'm totally digging it. I defy you to watch an episode and not have a huge crush on Mary Louise Parker by the end.. I'm usually pretty wary about pot-related shit, because I don't ever smoke and it always seems like a big inside joke I don't get.

John-Locke wrote:BTW The music over the opening titles "Little Boxes" is fucking brilliant.

I couldn't agree more.

Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:12 pm

Sorry...

I thought this thread was going to be about something else...
heh heh
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 pm

Series two starts airing 14th of August
Mary Louise Parker is the yummiest of mummies
The whole soundtrack for the show is truly excellent
assembled by Pixies guitarist Joey Santiago

I can barely wait!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Eric Lensherr/Magneto on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:21 pm

Mary Louise Parker plays Nancy Botwin so beautifully as she tries to survive in her dual role and life as mother and dealer. It can be truly heartaching to watch her as a normal person try to keep her head above water. I can't wait with such suspense to see where her adventures takes her next. I just wish we could see more of this series and not have it's run time so limited. Good luck Nancy my dear. I hope you make it to the light - and remain there.
Eric Lensherr/Magneto
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 am

The second season of weeds debuts on the fourteenth, and through my work I'm about to obtain a pre-air copy (W00T! I'll soon have access to alot of movie EPK pre-release too, hopefully to spread about here) I haven't seen it yet but I really enjoyed the first season of this show. I'm interested: anyone watching? Will post my thoughts soon when I've viewed it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:03 pm

This show is great. It crept upon me really. The esteemed John Locke reccommended it to me and I'm glad he did. The godfather moment was very fucking cool so was the DEA reveal. I'm excited to see where it goes next. And the uncle is comedy gold.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:12 pm

Seen the whole first series. I really loved it. I wasnt thinking it was coming back until I saw that Series 2 ep 1 was now available.

I havent seen the second series yet but I 'll start watching it tonight...most definately.

Loved the first series...

SPOILER.......

Im just kidding....hehe!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby tapehead on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Excellent - always thought this show never got the Zone attention it deserved, but since there seems to be a good amount of Uk viewers, and I'm sure they're watching stateside, perhaps it will pick up for season 2
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:45 pm

The first 4 episodes of season 2 are absolutely awesome!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:58 pm

Me and the lady friend attempted to watch this show on DVD. Sad to say, we hated it. And we were really excited about finally seeing it! But god, it left such a bad taste in my mouth. Each episode seemed to endlessly drone on, and they were only 30 minutes long! We couldn't find a single likeable character....there were interesting ones, but no one who we cared what happened too. The story felt forced. The jokes fell flat. And it's look at suburbia was so 'hollywood' I had to force myself to not turn it off after each unbelievable development.

Count me out for season 2.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:31 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Me and the lady friend attempted to watch this show on DVD. Sad to say, we hated it. And we were really excited about finally seeing it! But god, it left such a bad taste in my mouth. Each episode seemed to endlessly drone on, and they were only 30 minutes long! We couldn't find a single likeable character....there were interesting ones, but no one who we cared what happened too. The story felt forced. The jokes fell flat. And it's look at suburbia was so 'hollywood' I had to force myself to not turn it off after each unbelievable development.

Count me out for season 2.

I've seen one ep, from season 1 i think. Some friends were watching it On Demand when I came over last weekend. I really liked what I saw. You didn't care at all for Mary-Louise Parker's character? I found myself empathizing with her almost immediately. Not that I've been a widowed drug-dealing soccer mom...but still...empathy. At least in the ep I saw the humor was understated, but it was funny. I'm gonna check out the rest...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 pm

The first four episodes of Season 1 were pretty bland. After those initial episodes Weeds has done nothing but get better.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:46 pm

I love this show.
Its return makes me high..... with joy.... or something. The current angle with Mr. DEA seems impossible to me though.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tapehead on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:49 pm

I had similar apprehensions at the end of season 1 Fievel, but since watching the first two eps of 2, I can tell you - it's still going strong, there's more - they make it work.
Last edited by tapehead on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:02 pm

Elizabeth Perkins & Mary-Louise Parker are must see viewing for me.
As is Weeds.

Full marks for Showtime for showing the sack to run a program like this.

"Everybody must get stoned......"
B.Dylan
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:00 pm

tapehead wrote:I had similar apprehensions at the end of season 1 Fievel, but since watching the first two eps of 2, I can tell you - it's still going strong, there's more - they make it work.

The initial reveal at the end of last year's season was shocking. But the possibility of them existing as husband and wife (WTF!?!?!?) when he's a DEA agent and she's a local pot dealer is entirely unbelieveable (at least in my mind). Obviously with all that's happened in the first couple of episodes, we're in for quite a season.

AND.... douchebag son needs to be beaten SEVERELY for poking a hole in the condom. That's a chick trick!!!!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:51 pm

Season Two just started last week on Showcase in Canada. I'm going to make more of an effort to follow the show on a regular basis this year--it was just whenever I'd catch it last time.

I'm definitely a fan; there's always some laugh out loud moments, though on the whole I would say the events seem a little contrived. I don't feel like Nancy is really stuck between a rock and a hard place and selling marijuana is THE ONLY option for her. And Andy trying to become a rabbi to avoid being dispatched to Iraq--it's a little bit "sitcom." When I watch ENTOURAGE, while things invariably seem to turn out for the best, I get more of a sense of the events just happening to the characters--the hand of the writer is less apparent.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Fievel wrote:AND.... douchebag son needs to be beaten SEVERELY for poking a hole in the condom. That's a chick trick!!!!

Yea what an asshole. After tonights episode youll want to kick him in the nuts even more! He should just be happy for his gf.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:58 pm

Wow. I don't think I've EVER encountered this before: when I try to visit Showtime's website, I get:

"We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States."

What the fuck, man? I was gonna spread the word. Now my information flow is limited. Does somebody want to rattle off some noteworthy SHOWTIME shows, besides WEEDS, PENN & TELLER'S BULLSHIT and THE L WORD? I wanted to contrast and compare with HBO. I love BULLSHIT, but at this point I think I'm way more of an HB-O-phile.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:00 am

RaulMonkey wrote:Wow. I don't think I've EVER encountered this before: when I try to visit Showtime's website, I get:

"We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States."What the fuck, man? I was gonna spread the word. Now my information flow is limited. Does somebody want to rattle off some noteworthy SHOWTIME shows, besides WEEDS, PENN & TELLER'S BULLSHIT and THE L WORD? I wanted to contrast and compare with HBO. I love BULLSHIT, but at this point I think I'm way more of an HB-O-phile.

Morons.
Its a global village, Showtime.
This is why HBO is still kicking your ass.
The Vicar

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:03 am

Yeah, Showtime is okay, but I'd take a bullet for HBO.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:22 pm

HBO does seem to merit more loyalty than its competitors.
Too bad I'm a cheap sot who can't shell out the money.

Rome isn't coming back, anyway.
Is it?
The Vicar

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:07 pm

The Vicar wrote:Rome isn't coming back, anyway.
Is it?

January for season 2, but that is the end.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:07 am

Better than nothing, I suppose.

Yeah. It is.
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:23 am

Anyone else like how the theme song arrangement changes every episode this season?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm

I've only seen two episodes of season 2 so far and I liked the bluesy version in the premiere, but I thought the one from 2.2 sounded like a fucking Saturday morning cartoon ad for Lego or Slip 'n' Slide or something.

Hey kids! It's Little Boxes!!! To the EXTREME!!!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby papalazeru on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:07 pm

I enjoyed the orchestrated version from ep4 (or 5). It makes a change each episode and makes you enjoy the credit more.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:28 pm

I still love the anticipation of the theme song. I still like the show a lot. But man..... what an extremely messed up season when you put all the events side by side. The whole DEA story arc bugs me simply because it's just not believable. Other than that, I still dig it.

And kudos to Kevin Nealon on his repeated sex scenes. Atta boy, Kevin Nealon. Atta boy.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Good deal, thanks for the link Dino!

I see this thread is mostly to do with the show, as well, how to score KGB over in England.

Re. the Little Boxes theme song. They have different artists each week. The first season, they had the same little ole lady (Malvina Reynolds) singing the jingle - she wrote it too, then the 2nd season they decided to have a different artist for each episode. This really caused a big ruckus with the fans as everyone was accustomed and kinda liked the little ole lady singing.... Little Boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky. I thought Costello did a good job though.

I kinda fancy the dead husband, he also played Denny on “Greysâ€
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Maui wrote:I kinda fancy the dead husband,

Ah, but a we never actually see a the putz die, no? I suppose iffa they wanna to bring him a back, they can, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:30 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Ah, but a we never actually see a the putz die, no? I suppose iffa they wanna to bring him a back, they can, eh?

They could if they want.

You hear about Mary Kate Olsen being on this season as well as Matthew Modine?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

No, but the 1st episode has them grieving over his sudden death - heart attack. But yeah, I'm all for bringing him back on the show - more flashbacks please!
Maui
WoWie

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Maui wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

No, but the 1st episode has them grieving over his sudden death - heart attack.

You must a pardon the Dino, eh? I thought a you were a referring to a the Nancy's DEA husband whom she married onna the sly, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Did he die? I don't recall exactly what happened at the end of season 2.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Maui wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

No, but the 1st episode has them grieving over his sudden death - heart attack.

You must a pardon the Dino, eh? I thought a you were a referring to a the Nancy's DEA husband whom she married onna the sly, no?

Oh hell no, not the DEA guy. He was about as exciting as a 2 x 4. Good riddens to him.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:04 pm

John-Locke wrote:Did he die? I don't recall exactly what happened at the end of season 2.

Yup, Peter's gone. The writers wrote/killed him off Agrestic. I found him to be such a bland character. For a DEA agent, potential suitor, then husband to Nancy...zzzzzzzzzzzzzville.

Here's a nifty little review of the season 2 ender.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/10/31/weeds-pittsburgh-season-finale/
Maui
WoWie

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:22 pm

I think he was the most unevenly written character the series has had - I mena, in the last couple of season two they just turned him into a complete gentleman psycho, wherea as before he was a morally ambiguous but cool guy. Considering that, Martin Donovan managed a few good moments playing him - I actually had a thought he was severely depressed and might have killed himself after nancy kicked him to the curb.
Last edited by tapehead on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:23 pm

I can remember pretty much everything that happened in the finale, I just didn't remember that Peter died, how did it happen again? Someone refresh my memory.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:53 pm

John-Locke wrote:I can remember pretty much everything that happened in the finale, I just didn't remember that Peter died, how did it happen again? Someone refresh my memory.

Well it's been a while since the season finale, and I actually forgot as well. I was thinking the Armenian drug dudes, then there was the dog in the garage, and I've been reading a bit of stuff and it doesn't seem to be a cold hard fact that Peter is ACTUALLY dead. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought he was.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Maui wrote:
John-Locke wrote:I can remember pretty much everything that happened in the finale, I just didn't remember that Peter died, how did it happen again? Someone refresh my memory.

Well it's been a while since the season finale, and I actually forgot as well. I was thinking the Armenian drug dudes, then there was the dog in the garage, and I've been reading a bit of stuff and it doesn't seem to be a cold hard fact that Peter is ACTUALLY dead. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought he was.

I'm watching through it right now...

Conrad hired the Armenian drug dudes to kill Peter, they jump in Peter's pickup with him and drive into a garage (a dog walks in), no interior shot, no gunshot heard. It flashes back over to Nancy and Conrad in the standoff with the other drug dudes trying to rip them off, the Armenians barge in (one has some blood on his shirt) and say that Pater's dead. It ends in a Standoff.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby tapehead on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Yeah, he definitely dies off-screen and I remember the Mexican stand-off.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:08 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Maui wrote:

I'm watching through it right now...

Conrad hired the Armenian drug dudes to kill Peter, they jump in Peter's pickup with him and drive into a garage (a dog walks in), no interior shot, no gunshot heard. It flashes back over to Nancy and Conrad in the standoff with the other drug dudes trying to rip them off, the Armenians barge in (one has some blood on his shirt) and say that Pater's dead. It ends in a Standoff.

Cool! Thankyou sir! Weeds Season 2 DVD - July 24th :)
Maui
WoWie

Next

Return to Coaxial