I Watched 'Heroes' And All I Got Was This Lousy Thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

I Watched 'Heroes' And All I Got Was This Lousy Thread

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:59 pm

Aside from Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, this is the show I'm most looking forward to for next season. Herc has the story up HERE.

Hercules wrote:“HEROES” (NBC): People all over the world begin to discover that they have super-powers.

TickleBiscuit wrote:"Heroes" - Network: NBC
Writer: Tim Kring (Crossing Jordan)
Odds You'll Be Seeing It In The Fall: 100%

There are no absolutes when it comes to pilot-to-series guarantee. Unless you're Aaron Sorkin. But "Heroes" is about as safe a bet as you can make. Why?

In Manhattan, a male nurse in his mid-30s dreams he can fly. In Texas, a perky teenage cheerleader throws herself off a cliff and bemusedly watches as her bones snap back together. In Utah, a death-row inmate wakes up each morning on the outside of his cell. In Japan, an office drone believes he can alter the space-time continuum.

That's just half the cast. I didn't include the psychic artist or the stripper with a killer reflection. Or the Indian professor, trying to piece it all together. Or the priest, who...well, he's bad news. Strange things are happening all over the world to seemingly random people. Some connections are made. Some don't connect at all. Yet.

"Heroes" is BIG. Globe-spanning. Every character's story is compelling enough to stand on its own. Put 'em together and you've got a two-hour pilot script feels like a feature. And after a summer comic-book film feast courtesy of X-Men 3 and Superman Returns, these non spandex-clad "Heroes" are going to be the delicious soft-serve ice cream bar with unlimited toppings. And hot fudge.

Oh, and by the end of the pilot, it's clear that the emergence of our "Heroes" might not be the best thing for the rest of us non-Tomorrow People.

Two more tidbits: Best line - Disbelieving Japanese co-worker: "We are not special! We are Japanese!"

And to those who shun any sort of superhero-related project that doesn't give props to its comic book inspiration, the script is chock full of gorgeous illustrations by famed artist Tim Sale, and one hopes they'll be incorporated into the show somehow.

If they can lock down a Lost-like cast and focus on the human side of super-powers, this show will be HUGE.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:03 pm

sounds brilliant...

i wish i had more to say - but at this point - we'll have to wait and see...but like i said - sounds brilliant - hopefully it will be...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:04 pm

Goddamnit. This might just break my streak of ignoring network tv. Thanks MW.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bc1970 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:04 pm

The Unbreakable site had rundowns of other people with strange problems that read in a similar way. In that case, a flight attendant with emotional problems jumped from a plane but awoke on the ground unharmed. Witnesses claimed she floated down.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:05 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Goddamnit. This might just break my streak of ignoring network tv. Thanks MW.

ummm - adam - we all know you watch According to Jim religiously...

don't deny it... smartest show on tv... :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:05 pm

Da-ha-ha-mn, that looks amazing. In fact it looks so good that I'll probably feel guilty while watching it because I'm having so much fun. I guess there's gonna be that Incredibles/Watchmen/X-Men cash-in argument thrown out there, but fuck that argument: a space-time continuum altering Japanese pencil-pusher? A girl who just can't kill herself no matter how she tries (not sure how you can use that particular power)? Add a Rastafari who can smoke a whole spliff in one drag and I'm there!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:06 pm

sounds promising for sure!

I'd like them to focus on the guy who can see thru clothes...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:07 pm

Wow...I am up for this...but you are right again MW...the KEY is going to be it being quite unlike the established Marvel Heroes....making each characters story individual like LOST whilst at the same time this is the common thread that SLOWLY draws them together as a group of people.

I hope they do well with it....I'm sorry if anyone thinks different, but I watched half a season of Mutant X back in the day and just had to leave the room every single time. And I was all up for that program on account of Lex Luthor himself (Smallv-wha? Say who now?) being in it.

But it stank like a kipper fart in a steamroom. On a Sunday.

This new one may yet restore the Clever-Dumb balance.

And I now leave my suit behind and become just the latest in a long line of Ungrateful Bastards (shitshitshit...what to do for Airwolf when you have no IT skills to speak of....)
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:13 pm

i hope the show focuses on some guy with huge fists...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:17 pm

havocSchultz wrote:i hope the show focuses on some guy with huge fists...

A big fisted guy would be awsome!! Ka-pow!!

Yeah it sounds like the HEROES comic meet the 4400.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:18 pm

havocSchultz wrote:i hope the show focuses on some guy with huge fists...

....but no thumbs....forcing him to rely on "Tom Thumb"....a tiny Pygmie who has the ability to shape-shift....but only into the shape of....a thumb!

Oh god....I sense a new thread topic here.....must....fight.....urge.......to act now and repent at leisure.......

....NOPE. Failed miserably....new thread on its way...unless the valium gets here first.....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:23 pm

My only problem with the announcement of this show is that I've been toiling away at a spec for a TV pilot about a thrown-together band of superheroes for a bit now--think the Ultimates meets Men In Black meets Hellboy meets Buffy--and it looks like I've been beaten to the punch.

There are a number of elements in the description above that are pretty close to things I've written, so it makes it very unlikely that my script would ever get made without some massive changes.

But, y'know, I'll have to wait and see at this point. If need be, I could always do my script as a comic... or perhaps use it to get myself hired as a writer on this show. Fingers crossed.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:30 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:My only problem with the announcement of this show is that I've been toiling away at a spec for a TV pilot about a thrown-together band of superheroes for a bit now--think the Ultimates meets Men In Black meets Hellboy meets Buffy--and it looks like I've been beaten to the punch.

There are a number of elements in the description above that are pretty close to things I've written, so it makes it very unlikely that my script would ever get made without some massive changes.

But, y'know, I'll have to wait and see at this point. If need be, I could always do my script as a comic... or perhaps use it to get myself hired as a writer on this show. Fingers crossed.

My problem is if I'd had the idea my initial reaction would be to forget it because it was too blatant a crib off the current fad...instead of the correct way to think, which would be "OK, so we know how everyone else makes a superhero story...how am I going to do it differently".

which is why I like the LOST comparison...not because LOST is currently being feted...but because it would play really well to the more natural, human side of the story. I think thats the triumph of any successful hero strip isn't it? that its actually the human alter ego we're more interested in than the powers.

Not that powers aren't cool you understand. Hmm...do you think Kirk says "Flame On" to himself before posting?

Just wondering :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:34 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:My only problem with the announcement of this show is that I've been toiling away at a spec for a TV pilot about a thrown-together band of superheroes for a bit now--think the Ultimates meets Men In Black meets Hellboy meets Buffy--and it looks like I've been beaten to the punch.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm glad you're not all pissed about it. It happens.

You should totally try and get hired on this show. Seriously. See, now I'm going to dog you until you try. You'd be perfect writing this stuff.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:36 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:which is why I like the LOST comparison...not because LOST is currently being feted...but because it would play really well to the more natural, human side of the story. I think thats the triumph of any successful hero strip isn't it? that its actually the human alter ego we're more interested in than the powers.

You should read Ultimate Spider-Man. The whole thing is ALWAYS rooted in who Peter Parker is. Spider-Man is just an extension.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:38 pm

Adam Balm wrote:You should totally try and get hired on this show. Seriously. See, now I'm going to dog you until you try. You'd be perfect writing this stuff.

If I do, I'm creating a villain named Adam Balm. He's gonna square off against the heroes and say, "You know what my name sounds like?!" BOOM!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:You should totally try and get hired on this show. Seriously. See, now I'm going to dog you until you try. You'd be perfect writing this stuff.

If I do, I'm creating a villain named Adam Balm. He's gonna square off against the heroes and say, "You know what my name sounds like?!" BOOM!

:oops:

Mike Allred might sue you, but I appreciate the thought, man.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Well, if this Heros show takes off, all the other networks will want to copy the formula, so maybe you can just teak your spec ever so slightly... (and you'll have the advantage of having TAT committed to doing your series, of course!)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:03 pm

so sorry wrote:(and you'll have the advantage of having TAT committed to doing your series, of course!)

LOLZORS!!

I already have her part cast!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby El Scorcho on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:04 pm

This sounds too good to be true...
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:08 pm

El Scorcho wrote:This sounds too good to be true...

I assume you're referring to this show, mentioned in the above article:

[quote] “A HOUSE DIVIDEDâ€
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Stickboy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:09 pm

They should cast Patrick Stewart. Just imagine, he's walking down a road and sees a woman, and the next thing all her clothes fall off. She's tries to cover herself up, but it's too late because he's seen everything.

:D
Stickboy
GLIB

Postby Stickboy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:10 pm

Sounds a bit Misfits of Science. Which was f**king ace as well.
Stickboy
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:13 pm

Stickboy wrote:They should cast Patrick Stewart. Just imagine, he's walking down a road and sees a woman, and the next thing all her clothes fall off. She's tries to cover herself up, but it's too late because he's seen everything.

:D

LOLZORS!!

"She covers herself up, but I've seen her."
"Right, right..."
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:15 pm

And so he rides off...

..on the grass.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:20 pm

Did you read the whole article? if this does get made it may not necassarily be about Heroes (despite it's name), the whole theme of that story and all four shows was Apocalypse, Jerico: Nuclear, UZP: Zombies, A House Divided: Politcal, Heroes: ???

Oh, and by the end of the pilot, it's clear that the emergence of our "Heroes" might not be the best thing for the rest of us non-Tomorrow People

Anyway I think this could be good but it could also be shit if they try to get too big an audience out of the source material by attracting Kids, I don't want this to be like a primetime Sky High, there is more than enough time for Network medling to ruin the premise.

The Untitled Zombie Project is far more up my alley so to speak, apart from Kevin Williams attachment and the fact it hasn't got a chance in hell of making it to the screens yet.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:22 pm

I want to see Civil War II. And not just on tv....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I want to see Civil War II. And not just on tv....

I'm looking forward to that one too, though I really hope they don't place it in 24-land, where reality need not apply. I want to see as realistic a depiction possible about what would happen if a state decided to secede from the union. Could be cool.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Dave Semel is directing the pilot of NBC. This sucker's actually happening...

Variety wrote:Helmer Dave Semel ("American Dreams") is onboard to direct the NBC pilot Heroes, the network's buzzworthy pilot about ordinary people who discover they have superpowers, reports Variety.

Semel is directing the pilot for NBC Universal TV Studio. Tim Kring is behind the project, which stars Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter and Milo Ventimiglia.

He's a pretty accomplished TV director. Check out his IMDB page.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:09 pm

Sweet, Wheed! Thanks for the heads-up. This is the first time I've been this jazzed for a TV Season this far in advance. And word, its mostly because of STUDIO 60. A HOUSE DIVIDED sounds friggin cool too; I just hope that there isn't another Rod Lurie incident five episodes in.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:20 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Dave Semel is directing the pilot of NBC. This sucker's actually happening...

Variety wrote:Helmer Dave Semel ("American Dreams") is onboard to direct the NBC pilot Heroes, the network's buzzworthy pilot about ordinary people who discover they have superpowers, reports Variety.

Semel is directing the pilot for NBC Universal TV Studio. Tim Kring is behind the project, which stars Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter and Milo Ventimiglia.

He's a pretty accomplished TV director. Check out his IMDB page.

Looks like Semel's done some lameness and some coolness, but yes, he's undeniably accomplished. Not a note of doom for HEROES by any stretch of the imagination.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Ask Ausiello over at TV Guide has this blurb up, saying Heroes might be the next Lost.

Michael Ausiello wrote:Is Heroes the Next Lost?
A shiver just went down my spine. No, I didn't listen to my birthday message from Mariska Hargitay again. OK, yes I did — but that's not where the shiver came from. I just finished reading a first draft of the script for Heroes, NBC's fall pilot about everyday folks blessed with superpowers, and, well, to answer the question I posed in the title, yes, I believe a new Lost-like phenomenon is about to be born. And here's why:

THE CAST ROCKS: In addition to one of my FFPOTP Greg Grunberg, the ensemble boasts Gilmore guy Milo Ventimiglia and teenage wunderkind Hayden Panettiere. The show's behind-the-scenes pedigree is equally as impressive. Dave Semel, whose credits include directing the American Dreams pilot, has just signed on to helm the Heroes pilot. And while I may not deem Crossing Jordan FauxVo-worthy, I'm suddenly a big fan of its (and Heroes') creator, Tim Kring.

I'M ALREADY OBSESSED WITH THE CHARACTERS: Just as Lost isn't really a show about a haunted island, Heroes isn't a show about crusaders, caped or otherwise. It's about people — albeit ones with extraordinary quirks. "I kind of want to stay away from the superhero aspect," says Kring. "It's about very ordinary people all over the world who literally discover that they have special powers, and it's their dealing with that." The superheroes, er, ordinary people include a 30-year-old male nurse who believes he can fly — and, unlike R. Kelly, really can; a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future; a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors; a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still; a 31-year-old inmate who can transport himself through walls (eat your heart out, Michael Scofield); and a 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn (think of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, only with blonde hair and big pom-poms).

I CAN RELATE: You didn't hear? I, too, was born with unnatural abilities. All kidding aside (wink, wink), as Kring points out, "It's pretty grounded in reality. Part of what makes it really feel very real is that these people's lives should mirror your own; you should be able to see your ordinary life reflected on screen."

IT'S ALL ONE BIG PUZZLE: And you know the deal with puzzles. "It's a big interconnected saga," says Kring. "They're all drawn together towards a destiny of saving the world." And not to OD on the Lost parallels, but Kring adds, "It's extremely serialized."

IT'S SCARY: What would an extremely serialized show about superheroes, er, ordinary people (I have to stop doing that!) be without a creepy antagonist? Heroes' big baddie is described as a "Max Von Sydow-type" whose trademark accessory is a pair of horned rimmed glasses. And although his intentions aren't made crystal clear in the pilot, one thing is certain: He wants to get his hands on some of that super DNA.

ONCE AGAIN, IT SENT A SHIVER DOWN MY SPINE: "It" being the final scene. Provided Kring doesn't tinker too much with the script — I can't stress enough that I read an early draft — the climactic sequence, as inevitable as it may seem, will make you stand up and shout, "It's my new Lost!" And the next words out of your mouth better be: "Ausiello was right!"
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:00 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Ask Ausiello over at TV Guide has this blurb up, saying Heroes might be the next Lost.

Michael Ausiello wrote:Is Heroes the Next Lost?
A shiver just went down my spine. No, I didn't listen to my birthday message from Mariska Hargitay again. OK, yes I did — but that's not where the shiver came from. I just finished reading a first draft of the script for Heroes, NBC's fall pilot about everyday folks blessed with superpowers, and, well, to answer the question I posed in the title, yes, I believe a new Lost-like phenomenon is about to be born. And here's why:

THE CAST ROCKS: In addition to one of my FFPOTP Greg Grunberg, the ensemble boasts Gilmore guy Milo Ventimiglia and teenage wunderkind Hayden Panettiere. The show's behind-the-scenes pedigree is equally as impressive. Dave Semel, whose credits include directing the American Dreams pilot, has just signed on to helm the Heroes pilot. And while I may not deem Crossing Jordan FauxVo-worthy, I'm suddenly a big fan of its (and Heroes') creator, Tim Kring.

I'M ALREADY OBSESSED WITH THE CHARACTERS: Just as Lost isn't really a show about a haunted island, Heroes isn't a show about crusaders, caped or otherwise. It's about people — albeit ones with extraordinary quirks. "I kind of want to stay away from the superhero aspect," says Kring. "It's about very ordinary people all over the world who literally discover that they have special powers, and it's their dealing with that." The superheroes, er, ordinary people include a 30-year-old male nurse who believes he can fly — and, unlike R. Kelly, really can; a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future; a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors; a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still; a 31-year-old inmate who can transport himself through walls (eat your heart out, Michael Scofield); and a 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn (think of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, only with blonde hair and big pom-poms).

I CAN RELATE: You didn't hear? I, too, was born with unnatural abilities. All kidding aside (wink, wink), as Kring points out, "It's pretty grounded in reality. Part of what makes it really feel very real is that these people's lives should mirror your own; you should be able to see your ordinary life reflected on screen."

IT'S ALL ONE BIG PUZZLE: And you know the deal with puzzles. "It's a big interconnected saga," says Kring. "They're all drawn together towards a destiny of saving the world." And not to OD on the Lost parallels, but Kring adds, "It's extremely serialized."

IT'S SCARY: What would an extremely serialized show about superheroes, er, ordinary people (I have to stop doing that!) be without a creepy antagonist? Heroes' big baddie is described as a "Max Von Sydow-type" whose trademark accessory is a pair of horned rimmed glasses. And although his intentions aren't made crystal clear in the pilot, one thing is certain: He wants to get his hands on some of that super DNA.

ONCE AGAIN, IT SENT A SHIVER DOWN MY SPINE: "It" being the final scene. Provided Kring doesn't tinker too much with the script — I can't stress enough that I read an early draft — the climactic sequence, as inevitable as it may seem, will make you stand up and shout, "It's my new Lost!" And the next words out of your mouth better be: "Ausiello was right!"

thanks alot Whedon - sounds better and better every time i find out more... Cannot wait at this point...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:05 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I hope they do well with it....I'm sorry if anyone thinks different, but I watched half a season of Mutant X back in the day and just had to leave the room every single time. And I was all up for that program on account of Lex Luthor himself (Smallv-wha? Say who now?) being in it.

But it stank like a kipper fart in a steamroom. On a Sunday.

This new one may yet restore the Clever-Dumb balance.

Man, you just HAD to bring up Mutant X, didn't you?

Talk about a buzz-killa.

Well, except for that one actress.....grrrrrr.
Nice to see you again, Doc. BTW.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:22 pm

The Vicar wrote:Nice to see you again, Doc. BTW.

except unfortunately that was written by Doc on the 13th of february... :cry:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:01 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Nice to see you again, Doc. BTW.

except unfortunately that was written by Doc on the 13th of february... :cry:

Its still good...I hadn't seen him since before that either.

Has he resurfaced, now that I feel like a total tool? :oops: :oops: :oops:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

NICE

Postby tstreet on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:09 pm

I must say that I am more than stoked to hear about this, lets hope they do it right, because lord knows they can easily screw it up.
WHERE I BEGIN - Coming 2011

Check out the Movies Teaser Trailer

http://www.vimeo.com/14518699

Also Check Out The Movies Official Website:

http://www.whereibeginmovie.com
tstreet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:00 pm

Folks, I just managed to get my hands on the 2-hour pilot script for this show and it is FUCKING AMAZING.

If you have even an inch of fanboy in you... Scratch that, if you have a fucking pulse...

THIS THING WILL FUCKING PWN YOUR ASS!!!

It's a big, complicated, epic show with a Lost-sized cast of characters you just immediately relate to. Scenes are nice and crisp, jumping from place to place around the globe while keeping things simple enough that you can easily remember who's who and how they interconnect. These characters all have very real personal demons to deal with, many of which are expressed through their abilities.

The best, most striking thing about the script is how the characters deal with their powers. None of them is really aware that they have them, but yes they are. Part of them knows. Some begin to test their abilities, some try to tell another person and some get freaked the fuck out.

There are characters who seem to be clued into the fact that this is happening around the world, and they're making moves to figure out what it means. Evolution and comic books are discussed.

There is an eclipse that happens toward the end that connects all of the characters in a very Magnolia-, end-of-Donnie-Darko-ish way. It beautifully touches on each of their lives and provides a sense that they will all be connected soon.

Finally, there is a heroin-addicted painter named Diego who seems to be able to predict the future through his paintings--he doesn't know how, often doesn't remember when it happens. The image he paints at the end (the script is accompanied by some illustrations by Tim Sale, including this image) is absolutely breathtaking, illustrating a potential doom on the horizon. He lies down next to it, strung out, and whispers up to another character, "We have to stop it."

FUCKING. WOW.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:03 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Folks, I just managed to get my hands on the 2-hour pilot script for this show and it is FUCKING AMAZING.

If you have even an inch of fanboy in you... Scratch that, if you have a fucking pulse...

THIS THING WILL FUCKING PWN YOUR ASS!!!

It's a big, complicated, epic show with a Lost-sized cast of characters you just immediately relate to. Scenes are nice and crisp, jumping from place to place around the globe while keeping things simple enough that you can easily remember who's who and how they interconnect. These characters all have very real personal demons to deal with, many of which are expressed through their abilities.

The best, most striking thing about the script is how the characters deal with their powers. None of them is really aware that they have them, but yes they are. Part of them knows. Some begin to test their abilities, some try to tell another person and some get freaked the fuck out.

There are characters who seem to be clued into the fact that this is happening around the world, and they're making moves to figure out what it means. Evolution and comic books are discussed.

There is an eclipse that happens toward the end that connects all of the characters in a very Magnolia-, end-of-Donnie-Darko-ish way. It beautifully touches on each of their lives and provides a sense that they will all be connected soon.

Finally, there is a heroin-addicted painter named Diego who seems to be able to predict the future through his paintings--he doesn't know how, often doesn't remember when it happens. The image he paints at the end (the script is accompanied by some illustrations by Tim Sale, including this image) is absolutely breathtaking, illustrating a potential doom on the horizon. He lies down next to it, strung out, and whispers up to another character, "We have to stop it."

FUCKING. WOW.

WHAT IMAGE?!?!?!?!?

Must show us now!!!!!!!!

j/k...

it'd probably be better to be surprised by it...

thnx for th eupdate - sounds even better then when we 1st got word on it...

nice job...

and thanks for rubbing it in our faces d00ch... :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:05 pm

I'll see if I can get it up. Hang on....

EDIT: Umm, I meant to say "post it." Not "get it up."

:oops:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:06 pm

Whedon, that's a pretty huge scoop isn't it? As much as I am most definately excited by the show, I'd hate for you to get in trouble in anyway... :(
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:10 pm

Flumm wrote:Whedon, that's a pretty huge scoop isn't it? As much as I am most definately excited by the show, I'd hate for you to get in trouble in anyway... :(

We're good. I'm not giving away too much.

If you guys want to see the picture, PM me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:21 pm

I am looking forward to this but I am only expecting it to be good fun, not in the same ballpark as Lost, it's being made by NBC the Network that has brought us such masterful TV classics as "Surface" and "Supernatural" as well as "Joey"

:shock:

Yeah it'll be good fun but you just know the FX will be shit and once past the first few episodes it'll quickly become formulaic with writing not up to par with the early promise. Don't expect X-Men the TV series, expect something along the lines of Smallville and Surface, I'll be suprised if they manage to control their tendancies to cater for the lowest common denominator and if it is a hit the network won't be able to help themselves from medling.

I hope I'm wrong.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Your optimism is inspiring...
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Yeah, Locke, it is from the creator of Crossing Jordan, so I did a real WTF? when I read the thing. It's quite good, but they better have a damn fine writing staff on board to help figure out where these characters are going.

As for the FX, they're rather limited in the pilot. Lots of stuff is accomplished through visual tricks and quick glimpses, though there are one or two more extended moments. It'll be interesting to see how they pull it off.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:32 pm

Just imagine if HBO tackled something along these lines, then I'd be more pumped. I still watched and enjoyed Surface, it's two notches above anything you would expect to come from The Sci-Fi Channel (BSG excluded), but it tried and failed to be the next Lost, borrowing from Spielberg movies ad nauseum.

Hopefully they have learnt their lesson although I'd still like to see Surface return.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:32 pm

The final image is strong, though. I liked the way it was from floor to cieling too, and it looks as if he was doing it on the brickwork? Nice touches.

I would be dissapointed if it came out the level of something like surface tbh. I would hope that after Lost, the studio's would invest a little something extra in something with this much promise and I don't just mean cash. It's not a big leap of imagination to think that audiences can handle, and actually want large scale, intelligent action/sci shows.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:52 pm

I never actually watched Surface, 'cause it looked like a dog from word one to me.

I'm sure NBC will get behind Heroes once they see the pilot, assuming they execute it as well as it's written.

I'll tell you this though--if they fucks this one up, I will personally hunt down all the folks involved and rip out their still-beating hearts.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby cap on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:44 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I never actually watched Surface, 'cause it looked like a dog from word one to me.

I'm sure NBC will get behind Heroes once they see the pilot, assuming they execute it as well as it's written.

I'll tell you this though--if they fucks this one up, I will personally hunt down all the folks involved and rip out their still-beating hearts.

You best be ready to start hunting MW. They have a track record to prove they can f#ck things up - especially NBC.

They will have a good half of the show as commercials.

Then they will put it in four different time slots on three different nights in a four week period.

Im sorry I have my Hollywood hate on today.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:19 pm

I withhold judgment until I see a pilot. Dammit, if Global Frequency couldn't make it to air, I don't trust anyone anymore.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Next

Return to Coaxial