I Watched 'Heroes' And All I Got Was This Lousy Thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: I Watched 'Heroes' And All I Got Was This Lousy Thread

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 am

NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke wrote:We’re thrilled that visionary creator Tim Kring was as excited about jumping back into this show as we were and we look forward to all the new textures and layers Tim plans to add to his original concept.

Textures and layers? That will be new for Tim Kring.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:01 am

if "textures and layers" is a euphemism for "nudity and sex" then maybe I'll tune in

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:50 am

So my guess is that they are pissed that they were too early with the Superheros-everywhere thing (even though they helped kickstart it), and they think that enough time has passed that we have forgotten the ungodly failure that this show was.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:23 pm

so sorry wrote:So my guess is that they are pissed that they were too early with the Superheros-everywhere thing (even though they helped kickstart it), and they think that enough time has passed that we have forgotten the ungodly failure that this show was.

ding, ding, ding! we have a winner. We even have it timed to coincide with Avengers 2 hype.

I honestly can't remember, at all, any of the last season of this show. I think I watched at least part of it? This is the resonance the show had for me following the first season. This thing had better stand completely on its own, because, unlike 24, I'm not going to subject myself to watching the series again to understand what's going on.

I am, of course, dubious. But the one thing I will say is: it seemed to me that Kring had an interesting 1-season concept for this show. I liked the first season of Heroes. The fact that this show is "limited run" might be the best thing for it. Keep it contained and not meandering all over the place with no idea where it's going. I hope they really stick to that model, and don't leave 14 open questions at the end of the run in hopes of a second run or jumpstart into a new series.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:31 pm

I gave up halfway through season 2. The show went from stupid to stupider. The concept was very good, even if the execution was a bit dodgy in the first season. But the second season went off the rails to the point where I didn't care anymore. What they should have done was just reboot the cast every season then maybe build to something 3 - 4 years down the line that blends the casts together for some epic goodness. But they tried to keep everyone in it and didn't really have anything significant for them to do, so shit just got stupid. I got the feeling they had no plan so I tuned out. Things I've read about the show since then make me think I made the right decision. I'll wait for some word of mouth on this new series.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I honestly can't remember, at all, any of the last season of this show.

It was the carnival season - the "Why the fuck am I wasting 60 minutes of my life a week trying to see this piece of shit show through to the end?" season.

I had a lot of fun watching that first season.

You couldn't gift me a fuck-to-give as a Christmas present for this upcoming mini series.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Man, reading back through this thread it's like we all had battered wife syndrome. Some of us were lucky to get out early, but others... :P :lol:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Fievel wrote:You couldn't gift me a fuck-to-give as a Christmas present for this upcoming mini series.

NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke wrote:We’re thrilled that visionary creator Tim Kring was as excited about jumping back into this show as we were and we look forward to all the new textures and layers Tim plans to add to his original concept.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:06 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Man, reading back through this thread it's like we all had battered wife syndrome. Some of us were lucky to get out early, but others... :P :lol:

*raises hand sheepishly* yeah, that was me. But it's amazing to me how little I've retained. I just read through like a four paragraph post on Heroes that I did about the story line from 2009 and I don't have a single clue what I'm talking about vis a vis the plot. No recollection at all. It's like I've purged it from my brain. Which is probably for the best.

It was fun reading through some of the thread though for the snark value alone. :lol:

Devin's not exactly excited http://badassdigest.com/2014/02/23/nbc-is-bringing-back-heroes-for-some-stupid-reason/

Devin Faraci wrote:...the network has a reboot plan called Heroes Reborn. If that name is familiar to you, yes, Marvel used it on their profoundly misguided reboot attempt in the mid-90s, in which the company outsourced many of its core titles to Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld, hoping the Image creators could kick some new life into old characters. Considering Heroes often ripped off comics, it's not that surprising that they're stealing the name of this event.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Al Shut on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:12 am

I only vaguely remember liking Heroes at first and then somewhere my interest phased out.

But since I avoided internet discussion, because of the one year lag of German television, I a bit surprised how strong the dislike seems to have been.

Anyway, if Johnny Cash can give concerts to prison inmates I can give a new Heroes show a chance.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 am

i can't wait to not watch this show all over again.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:20 am

you watched it and commented on it before, you even liked it to begin with....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am

Peven wrote:you watched it and commented on it before, you even liked it to begin with....

and then i stopped watching. and then life seemed to get just a little bit better, colors just a little bit brighter, and the birds sang oh so sweetly.

this time i'll stop watching even sooner. like, right now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 am

you know, i kinda feel sorry for tim kring. his reputation has got to be shit after how this show failed (then again, there are plenty of people even worse in the tv industry who keep getting work). maybe he learned from the heroes experience, maybe he can apply those lessons and produce something worth watching. but why remind people of your biggest failure by bringing it back? why not try to apply those lessons to a completely new property without all the baggage. this will probably fail, because people have either forgotten the show already, or worse, they still remember it. the "heroes" franchise isn't exactly a valuable commodity. maybe this is the only thing he could get off the ground, which, if so, is pretty sad.

oh well, after this thing ends, maybe they'll try to bring back Smash.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm

The biggest problem with Heroes was Tim Kring and the writing. We know Tim Kring is coming back. Maybe they'll get some better writers. Conceptually, this shouldn't be a hard show to pull off. And yet... :roll:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 am

Don't forget that the programme was rather good during that first year. I watched season 1 again not too long ago and on it's own it still holds up quite well.

After that they copped out. They spent a year building up characters into powered, but textured, superheroes - they basically built a Justice League show.

And then they knocked them all down and replaced it with some ridiculous convoluted melodrama.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Coaxial