I Watched 'Heroes' And All I Got Was This Lousy Thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Official "Heroes" Thread

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:34 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:But Bryan Fuller's coming back and he says the first three episodes of Fugitives are amazing and now the show can finally get back to a Season One level of goodness which I know wasn't very good to begin with but it could maybe with a little luck be used as a launching pad for the awesomeness we all hoped for back then but the strike slowed them down and Tim Kring apologized and promised to get better so you have to see that everybody working on the show knows what they have to do to get it right and if we just hold out for another few months we'll finally get the show will all hoped for and imagined at the start so don't leave now MasterWhedon 'cause it's gonna get good it's gonna get good it's gonna get good.

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly. This is the gist of every article I've read on Heroes for the past two years. It was only my beloved Defamer that got it right: "Newsflash: Heroes Was Always Bad."

Fievel wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:But for me--this show sold us an exceptional bill of goods and, while it's given us some fine beats, scenes and individual episodes, it has failed to deliver the exceptional at every turn.

While every show has its ups and downs, surely you didn't expect a prime-time masterpiece on network television, did you? I can understand the level of continued expectations if it were on HBO, but it's on NBC..... home of Knight Rider, Jay Leno, Friends, Lipstick Jungle, etc. etc.

Heroes IS shit.
I just can't help but wonder what's going to happen next.

Did I mention I'm a Detroit Lions fan?

Haha, I'm a Buffalo Bills fan so I'm familiar with staying loyal in the absence of hope.

You're right that NBC is in the shitter at the moment, but let's not forget that NBC/Universal also produces Battlestar Galactica, The Office, 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights. Each of those shows has had its share of ups and downs, but each also has a much clearer vision of what it's about and where it's going.

I'd actually add Chuck to that list as well, as I think it's a really good example of a guilty pleasure genre show. Sure, Chuck gives in to narrative convenience from time to time and it's not nearly as funny as it should be, but it's consistent in its characters, inventive in its stories and it nicely weaves larger arcs through standalone episodes.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 pm

I think you're all daft. I don't understand why this show hasn't won a pulitzer or nobel peace prize.

And that was an epic awesome rant, but it's still just a show. If you really get worked up about something as trivial as heroes, then I'd hate to see what you're like when you get a shitty project at work... You have HEROES RAGE.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:35 am

RaulMonkey wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:But Bryan Fuller's coming back and he says the first three episodes of Fugitives are amazing and now the show can finally get back to a Season One level of goodness which I know wasn't very good to begin with but it could maybe with a little luck be used as a launching pad for the awesomeness we all hoped for back then but the strike slowed them down and Tim Kring apologized and promised to get better so you have to see that everybody working on the show knows what they have to do to get it right and if we just hold out for another few months we'll finally get the show will all hoped for and imagined at the start so don't leave now MasterWhedon 'cause it's gonna get good it's gonna get good it's gonna get good.

tim kring only hurts you because he loves you.

break the cycle

For the record, this show lost me as a viewer in the middle of Season Two. Probably about the time we realized there wouldn't be a proper finale 'cause of the strike. And no, Season One was not very good. I can almost buy that it's more enjoyable if you watch it for the first time on DVD, 'cause then it wouldn't take FOREVER for anything to happen. But even if that's true (which is a generous assumption) the show's still a failure if it can't entertain in it's original format.

perhaps we should start a Heroes Recovery thread for all of us who have given up on this show and stopped watching it. a place where we can go to heal our wounds, talk about the trauma the show has inflicted on us, and most of all, continue making fun of it, which was always the most enjoyable part of this show anyway (i had making-fun-of-Heroes withdrawal for a couple months after i stopped watching after the season 2 finale, but i'm feeling much better now.)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Defamer wrote:The show has always had too many characters, and even in the first season, many lacked a compelling reason to be there. That season was clogged with storylines (like the yawn-inducing travails of narrator Mohinder) that practically demanded to be fast-forwarded through, and the revelation that the show's writers were assigned separate plotlines in each episode instead of writing full scripts on their own is only partially to blame for the show's whiplashing segues.

:shock: The anatomy of a failure, folks. What not to do.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:35 pm

If Fuller is smart he'll use the Fugitive's arc to kill off the dead weight and leave us the core that makes it fun.

Ando, Hiro, Noah, "The Hatian" (can we have his name now, kthnxbye), Sylar, Peter, and then rotate in a few minor or one off characters from time to time.

I would actually like to see Noah become a leader, almost like Cable with X-Force. He knows the ins and outs of the biz and all. Pete, Ando, the Hatian, and Hiro are the team.

Sylar is back to being a boogeyman.

More open arcs with them always chasing down Sylar, but have one off episodes too. Kind of like a super hero A Team.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:57 pm

But that sounds just as half assed as what we have now.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:23 pm

well at least it's only be half assed and not half assed and confusing...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Yeah I am sure Hiro's abilities won't confuse anyone.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 pm

I think Sylar should cut off Hiro's eyelids then laugh menacingly, having removed his mastery of space and time (and ability to sleep).
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Hermanator X wrote:I think Sylar should cut off Hiro's eyelids then laugh menacingly, having removed his mastery of space and time (and ability to sleep).

so hiro's powers really are dependent on his ability to squint and make a scrunchy face? maybe he can be disabled with a strategic injection of botox.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby King Psyz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:46 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah I am sure Hiro's abilities won't confuse anyone.

Just find a way to hobble his powers, can only pause time and teleport or something...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:50 pm

King Psyz wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah I am sure Hiro's abilities won't confuse anyone.

Just find a way to hobble his powers, can only pause time and teleport or something...

That could work.
Just cut one of his eyes out......
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 pm

He's got powers, he doesn't, he found them, he doesn't.

Oh look, we've all our powers...oh they are back. Oh look he's good, he's evil, he's good but in an evil way, then bad in a good way.

Shit man, I've seen less flips and flops from a fish out of water or a Presidential election.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 am

I work in a hotel and tonight there is a Adam Monroe staying here...should I be worried :D
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 am

Stab him with a fork and see if he just laughs at you. If he doesnt, its not the same one.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:29 am

Hermanator X wrote:Stab him with a fork and see if he just laughs at you. If he doesnt, its not the same one.

good call good call
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:59 am

So I kind of liked the volume finale. There were lots of dumb parts, but over all, I thought it was a well done resolution to a sloppy first half of the season. I really liked the Pete and Nate showdown. I think Nate reached the point of being a dick way too late in the season, but the role suits him, and what better thing can we have in a comic book tv show than brothers who misunderstand each other and have to fight. Let's hope the show sticks with that dynamic. All the mental hospital stuff with Syler was a bit melodramatic, but I liked it in a Heart to Heart kind of way, and seeing Claire finally be the one to do something useful was cool. But why didn't they just tell her bio-mom, "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE BEFORE YOU BLOW US TO BITS!" So I liked it, but it was still mediocre. And since I prefer Nikki to Ice-Woman, get rid of that BIZZATCH. Thanks Hiro for punching her.

Also I thought Ando's power was right appropriate. He's been there since day one trying to boost Hiro's confidence, and he gets a power to match his attitude. I liked it, and the effects were cool. I wish I could do that with my hands.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:19 pm

That last episode (and a lot of the latter stages of the volume) were all over the place.

Did they ever cover anything more about the disaster struck future or did that storyline go out the window when Robert Forster put his suit on?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:29 pm

Fried Gold wrote:That last episode (and a lot of the latter stages of the volume) were all over the place.

Did they ever cover anything more about the disaster struck future or did that storyline go out the window when Robert Forster put his suit on?

Well they managed to stop the creation of the formula that was going to genetically enhance everyone, so it seems like they were successful in preventing that ill-defined futuraster.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:47 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:That last episode (and a lot of the latter stages of the volume) were all over the place.

Well they managed to stop the creation of the formula that was going to genetically enhance everyone, so it seems like they were successful in preventing that ill-defined futuraster.

Okay, that's fine then. I was thinking there was more to the futuraster than just people getting formulapowers.

Was it clear whether Peter had his full powers back at the end there? I assumed it wasn't just coincidence that he could fly, but that he was able to mimic Nathan again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 am

Well he has his powers back, but perhaps he is starting over and Nate was the first power he leached.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:59 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Well he has his powers back, but perhaps he is starting over and Nate was the first power he leached.

That was what I thought, before giggling at Worf being the Pres!
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Well he has his powers back, but perhaps he is starting over and Nate was the first power he leached.

...if you were any other man, I WOULD KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Was that worf? It didn't look like him to me. Screen shot?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Maybe the lack of bumpy head put you off! It was more the voice than the face that gave it away for me...

and this...

;)

Fried Gold wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:

It wasn't so much that it was him, just that it's another Trek actor appearing in this dross...

All.we.need...now! Is.the.Shatner... To.PWN.them.all! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:11 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:

It wasn't so much that it was him, just that it's another Trek actor appearing in this dross...

THE LINE must be drawn HERE...THIS FAR NO FURTHER.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:

THE LINE must be drawn HERE...THIS FAR NO FURTHER.

OMG GET PATRICK STEWART ON HEROES IMMEDIATELY!!!!

He's already familiar with one of the Heroes alum:

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:03 pm

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 am

Heh every TV spot I've seen so far uses the phrase "a fresh new start for Heroes". Let's hope so. I really think they best plan of action is to completely sew up all stories going on now and start again with new characters.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:13 am

I like the new TV spots. They emphasize something I have complained about since the end of season 1... a lack of teamwork. Although it does seem that claire is once again the damsel in distress.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:48 am

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:Heh every TV spot I've seen so far uses the phrase "a fresh new start for Heroes". Let's hope so. I really think they best plan of action is to completely sew up all stories going on now and start again with new characters.

I seem to remember Tim Kring saying that in a few interviews after series one ended - that the characters will change quite a bit (both leave and get killed off) and that the origin stories are what he was more interested in.

Seems that it ended up being a bit half-hearted (Maya & Alejandro) and they didn't fully follow through on the idea.

Then Tim Kring probably said the average fan was a twunt, wrote a big public apology explaining what he meant, then everyone forgot when a new trailer came out making the show look cool again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:16 am

Heyoucantlaughatthat wrote:Heh every TV spot I've seen so far uses the phrase "a fresh new start for Heroes". Let's hope so. I really think they best plan of action is to completely sew up all stories going on now and start again with new characters.

I noticed that as well, I hope so too, but i disagree about all new characters, some new ones yes, a loosely rotating cast, but I'd love to see a JLA/Avengers type team up

after recently buying SOON I WILL BE INVINCABLE, I kinda think that's the route HEROES should take

give us the future Peter and Hiro we've been wanting, grizzled, war torn, "old" and leading a team, add in one or two eager young recruits who gradually get a view on what has happened to these two warriors

cut in between with a week or two of the Hero team and a week or two of your villian
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 pm

King Psyz wrote:Image

Does this mean you are against a Patrick Stewart guest spot? Your post wasn't quite clear.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Apparently it starts up again on Monday:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39931

...with mixed review.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:02 am

I actually thought tonight's episode was pretty good.
I like the overall new direction of the story.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:09 am

it wasn't a home run but I thought it was a good solid double

some good action pieces, some intresting intrigue

but more stuff with Nathan being a douche for no real reason, no clear reason why HRG is acting the way he is, but I'm assuming we'll gt some "2 months ago" episode that'll explain everything instead of just picking things up

don't much care for Parkman being the new "Issac"
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:32 pm

OMG...Anyone get the Fallout 3 game reference in there?

at exactly 9:08 minutes in.

You even see your little character from the pip boy. How odd!

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Yeah, I was singin' along! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:03 pm

YES! The Fallout 3 reference was awesome!!!
I meant to go back and try to read the name on the door but forgot and deleted it from my DVR.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Fievel wrote:YES! The Fallout 3 reference was awesome!!!
I meant to go back and try to read the name on the door but forgot and gaffneyed it from my DVR.

It wasn't the name, it was the little pip boy look a likey on the door. The boy that looks likes the pilsbury dough boy.

Also, I can see where this one is going again, Noah is evil but is really good and bandying the good guys together under the guise of imprisoning them.
So many wrongs,

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:27 pm

I meant to go back and try to read the name on the door but forgot and gaffneyed it from my DVR.

It was the Harbor Watch Shop, at least it was on the window in this flipped shot.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Bah, what a bullshit cliffhanger. Oh no is the guy who has the power of flight going to fall to his doom? How can a shitty two propeller plane obtain the altitude and speed that can suck out people bolted to chairs? does nobody have a phone anymore, where you have to waste time and walk all the way to someone's place to warn them of imminent danger.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Bah, what a bullshit cliffhanger. Oh no is the guy who has the power of flight going to fall to his doom? How can a shitty two propeller plane obtain the altitude and speed that can suck out people bolted to chairs? does nobody have a phone anymore, where you have to waste time and walk all the way to someone's place to warn them of imminent danger.

Well, at least Peter has super strength and freeze powers. Just like Milo's famous movie father, HE'S GETTING STRONG NOW!!!!

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 am

papalazeru wrote:

It wasn't the name, it was the little pip boy look a likey on the door. The boy that looks likes the pilsbury dough boy.

I know about the little guy. I was just hoping it was the Megaton Watch Shop or something.

ONeillSG1 wrote:Well, at least Peter has super strength and freeze powers. Just like Milo's famous movie father, HE'S GETTING STRONG NOW!!!!

Does he have ALL those powers? I was getting the impression that he only has one power at a time - depending on the last superhero he touched.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:51 am

He has a rolodex of super powers that he can pick and choose from at any given time, like Sylar.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:He has a rolodex of super powers that he can pick and choose from at any given time, like Sylar.

He used to... until his dad took them all away.
After he shot himself with Mohinder's serum, all he did was fly.... that is until he touched Mohinder's hand and acquired super-strength.
And then he touched JessiNikki-Icegirl (whatever her name is) and froze the walls of the plane.

I could be wrong on all of this, but if he had his whole catalogue of powers he would have been able to do a lot more in the plane fight than he did.
Plus, he'd be able to fly out of the plane as it crashed and it wouldn't matter anyways as he'd just instantly heal.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:12 am

I don't see why the nature of his powers would change. he gets near someone and bam he gains a new power and he can use it at any time. He just used the ice power accidentally, because he was not aware of what tooth cap's powers were.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 am

I'd say he's still got his original power to copy others powers but he's starting again with a clean slate so no time travelling or going atomic.

Actually not a bad episode really, it's only ever going to be so good because it's Heroes but as Heroes episodes go it was entertaining.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 am

John-Locke wrote:I'd say he's still got his original power to copy others powers but he's starting again with a clean slate so no time travelling or going atomic.

Actually not a bad episode really, it's only ever going to be so good because it's Heroes but as Heroes episodes go it was entertaining.

that was my impression as well, that he stillhad the mimic ability but with a new slate

I'll also say I enjoyed Hiro as Oracle
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:30 pm

That whole Ando with a bike and costume thing felt a lot like Street Hawk. That made me laugh.

papalazeru

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial