I Watched 'Heroes' And All I Got Was This Lousy Thread

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: The Official "Heroes" Thread

Postby Gerald Fried on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 am

Bloo wrote:HEROES needs to spin the frozen donkey wheel and get back on track

"spinning the frozen donkey wheel" = the anti-sharkjump
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 am

Gerald Fried wrote:
Bloo wrote:HEROES needs to spin the frozen donkey wheel and get back on track

"spinning the frozen donkey wheel" = the anti-sharkjump

yup

USA Today last week or the week before had a nice article on how 24 and LOST got back on track

in summery (and from what I remember) 24 went back to its roots, no real super ass crazy plots

LOST went the opposite direction with going totally out of the box

Heroes wasnt mentiond but they really need to look at those 2 shows and not emulate but find their own...frozen donkey wheel
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:46 am

Heroes? More like Mehroes.

It really is mediocre, at best. We hardly get to see any super powers anymore. What were we treated to this week? When Peter arrived at the storage cache of weapons, we just see him land, and when he flies away, it's just a glimpse (albeit justifiably).

I want to see Sylar cut some more heads, I want Peter to have all his powers back and start using a couple, let's see Claire start getting killed again (so long as she fall over and we see up her skirt), more Mohinder smashing stuff, less Parkman being ghey and his zippety zip girly, more of her, naked.

The only person with any super power here is TIm Kring and his ability to bend the storyline without any real due care and attention. Let's hope we get a Dallas ending.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:16 am

we were all crying foul when Kring said that he never read comic books, we said "bullshit" maybe he did just luck into the Watchmen ending or Leob or Sale or someone mentioned that ending and he ran with it

The reason I say this is because it is becoming more and more obvious that to Kring (and I rest blame on him as the showrunner) the powers are just a means to an end to the story he wants to tell, thus he doesn't see any problems with the powers changing willy nilly or char. changing willy-nilly

he's more concerned about the "story" rather then the "charaters" and allowing them to devolp and the story build around them rather then the other way around
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:20 am

continued thoughts (because I don't want to edit)

if you compare season 1's COMPANY MAN with this week's ep

in both episdoes Coleman acted his butt off

both employed a "flashback" like structure

but COMPANY MAN moved the story along while giving us answers into (at that time the man we only knew as Mr. Bennet or HRG) while keeping the main story on the bak burner

this weeks, instead of giving us motivations into the WHYS of Bennet was doing what he was doing (as we were promised in the ad campagin) we got a story in which the ARC came first and motivations were secondary (and contridictory)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:36 am

I was getting worried about Heroes... this season has been great so far, but thankfully they threw in a mid-season howler that harked back to S2 and 3!

It was alright as a stocking filler I guess... but all the Claire / Alex stuff was painful to watch.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 am

yeah last nights was a nothing ep...not great not the worst episode I've ever seen...just...was there
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DanielSan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:28 am

Am I the only one convinced that "Rebel" is Micah? With his ability to talk to and control all things electronic, It explains how he can reach everyone (by text messaging and e-mail), and how he knows what everyone is up to (by monitoring all electronic surveillance cameras.)
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 am

DanielSan wrote:Am I the only one convinced that "Rebel" is Micah? With his ability to talk to and control all things electronic, It explains how he can reach everyone (by text messaging and e-mail), and how he knows what everyone is up to (by monitoring all electronic surveillance cameras.)

Yeah, Micah seems pretty obvious. Only a 12 year old boy would be unoriginal enough to name himself something as lame as "Rebel".
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby DanielSan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:01 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
DanielSan wrote:Am I the only one convinced that "Rebel" is Micah? With his ability to talk to and control all things electronic, It explains how he can reach everyone (by text messaging and e-mail), and how he knows what everyone is up to (by monitoring all electronic surveillance cameras.)

Yeah, Micah seems pretty obvious. Only a 12 year old boy would be unoriginal enough to name himself something as lame as "Rebel".

Yeah, "Rebel" is pretty lame. He should've gone with "Electra-Boy"!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 am

Electra-Kid would be my first guess, Mama Petrelli would be my second
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DanielSan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 am

John-Locke wrote:Electra-Kid would be my first guess, Mama Petrelli would be my second

I first thought Mama Petrelli, but I couldn't imagine her contacting people by text messaging.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 am

Maybe its mimic girl from the last season. She might have caught a mobile phone add on television, and an apple commercial?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby uncleJester on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:34 pm

That's what I thought when I saw the messages.

On another note, I can't ever seem to get straigt in my head whether HRG is a good guy or a bad guy. I'm trying to go with good, but sometimes I question.

-UJ
uncleJester
GLIB

Postby instant_karma on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Those scenes with Claire in the comic book shop were pretty painful to watch. I guess the producers figure that their most harsh critics are comic book geeks, so assembling an army of the goofiest looking guys ever to fill a screen seemed like a nice bit of payback, but the level of cliche on display was almost too much to take.

That aside, pretty good episode.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Last night's ep felt like Season 1. Thank God.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby DanielSan on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:30 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Last night's ep felt like Season 1. Thank God.

Oh thank God. I've been staring at the title "Heroes" on m DVR, trying to get excited to watch what used to be one of my favorite shows. It won't be my favorite ("Life" holds that title right now), but maybe, just maybe, I can at least like it again.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 am

I thought it was ok...maybe a mid season filler S1 ep

or maybe I'm just burned by so many wretched episdoes
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:57 am

The comments in this thread reaffirm my decision to stop watching this show. I never have to make excuses for or feel disappointed about Chuck. And it seems the makers of that show always find an excuse to get Yvonne Strahovski to strip down to her underwear. *rowr*
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:02 am

Chuck is always awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:09 am

Bloo wrote:

I thought it was ok...maybe a mid season filler S1 ep

or maybe I'm just burned by so many wretched episdoes

The show is so severely dumbed down by this point that any remote sense of life in it can be seen as returning to form. However we all know this show will never be the show we all hoped it could be.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Chilli on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 am

Ya know, if they had cast John Glover as Arthur Petrelli that whole story may have actually worked. The guy goes from weak old man to batshit insane in the blink of an eye.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:40 am

Chilli wrote:Ya know, if they had cast John Glover as Arthur Petrelli that whole story may have actually worked. The guy goes from weak old man to batshit insane in the blink of an eye.

I REALLY enjoyed John Glover in the ep, he would have been great as Daddy Petrelli
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:15 am

Chilli wrote:Ya know, if they had cast John Glover as Arthur Petrelli that whole story may have actually worked. The guy goes from weak old man to batshit insane in the blink of an eye.

AGREED!

To think that John Glover played the father to two comic book villians, one classic and the other a new favorite in Sylar.

Good show, old chap.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby VegasRon on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 am

Well, I haven't said this in over a year...but...

...tonight's episode was very good.

Fuller's back and did a great job.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeah, that was the beset episode in a while.
The humor in it was actually... funny!
But is Tracy dead or not? She blinked at the end with a tear running down the chunk of cheek that was left.... didn't make much sense to me.

Oh, and Daphne's death was surprisingly touching.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Maybe she's like a cross between Iceman and Zan of the Wonder Twins...?

Hopefully the show will atleast maintain the quality of last nights ep, if unable to surpass it.
Which seems likely.

I probably would have stopped watching after the beginning of this season if I had cable, but since I don't...
thank God, Fuller is back.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby VegasRon on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Maybe she's like a cross between Iceman and Zan of the Wonder Twins...?

Hopefully the show will atleast maintain the quality of last nights ep, if unable to surpass it.
Which seems likely.

I probably would have stopped watching after the beginning of this season if I had cable, but since I don't...
thank God, Fuller is back.

My job entails watching the show every week. While this season has been less sucky than the last two seasons, it's still nothing I'd make time to watch.

With that said, and with Fuller being back, I've got tempered high hopes. Daphne's death was handled almost beautifully. Larter's character obviously isn't dead, which lessens the impact of her sacrifice, but was also handled well.
You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm

I thought this weeks episode was just as bad as all the others have been recently, in fact I seem to remember liking a recent-ish episode more, probably one with a lot of Sylar or something, I can't remember though, the show is that forgettable.

I dunno who directed this weeks episode but I didn't like their overly stylised touches, they probably have a background in commercials as there were far too many well lit close ups of faces, unnecessary uses of slow motion and the Daphne Dream sequence looked like that Baz Lurhmann Chanel Ad with Nicole Kidman until Matt started flying.

Worst bit of the episode? Ice girls tear, so lame I wanted to scoop my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon.

Ali Larter will probably be back next season though, playing the third triplet.

Oh and how obvious is the Hiro can only stop time thing (and not teleport/time travel) an attempt by the writers to dig themselves out of the time travel hole (for now, until they dig themselves into a deeper hole and have to use it to get themselves out again) whilst listening to the fans/critics who said that Hiro must lose his powers as he was too powerful. I can imagine a writer given the task of writing Hiro's stuff thinking "BINGO! we'll have Matts baby touch him and return his powers but he'll only be able to freeze time, that'll keep him involved and interesting" Lame.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:45 pm

I watched the first episode this season in full, but since then I've not made much effort to watch. And when it is on, it just sort've plays in the background of whatever else I'm doing.

What happened to Tim Kring's idea of replaced the main characters every season? These ones have become dull and boring.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Fried Gold wrote:What happened to Tim Kring's idea of replaced the main characters every season? These ones have become dull and boring.

EXACTLY. These people have been MILKED. End this season and just start fresh with new people. I wouldn't even want an explanation of where the originals went (it would probably be stupid) just give us an all new cast.
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Just watched the last two episodes - Cold Snap and Into Asylum - much, much better. Using the characters to their full potential, using them in new ways and showing some evolution, as well as showing the newer characters in more detailed way and giving them depth. Made the story much more interesting.

The Sylar/Danko stuff was really quite good, again doing something new with Sylar and also opening up the Danko character.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Okay, so Sylar is posing as Petrelli? Sounds like Season 1 to me.

Danko is really skating on thin ice with this one. Sylar is like a chimpanzee-- it's no one's pet.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:33 am

For me, the actor they have playing Danko is largely responsible for this season failing to be the one that returns this series to the glory days of Season One. I haven't been so underwhelmed by a villain since Bowie the Goblin King - at least the latter was knowingly playing it for laughs. "The Hunter" should be a cold, emotionless, relentless killer - one who exudes menace and remains infallible right up until season's end. Instead we have an undersized, shuffling shambles of a man, full of whimsy and capable of regular gross errors in judgment. He has the on-screen presence of Lindsay Lohan, at best.

The rest of the blame I dump fairly and squarely on any narrative involving Claire Bennett. Her story is dull and repetitive. Constantly whining and needlessly inserting herself in harm's way, just to annoy either of her Dad's, may make sense for her character - but it flies in the face of compelling storylines and empathy from the audience.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:31 am

Doc Holliday wrote:For me, the actor they have playing Danko is largely responsible for this season failing to be the one that returns this series to the glory days of Season One. I haven't been so underwhelmed by a villain since Bowie the Goblin King - at least the latter was knowingly playing it for laughs. "The Hunter" should be a cold, emotionless, relentless killer - one who exudes menace and remains infallible right up until season's end. Instead we have an undersized, shuffling shambles of a man, full of whimsy and capable of regular gross errors in judgment. He has the on-screen presence of Lindsay Lohan, at best.

I'll agree to a certain degree. Zeljko Ivanek plays a great asshole, bot not a good heavy. In Heroes, he actually looks terminally ill every second he's on screen. The guy needs to get out in the sun for a minute.
But every role he's had where he plays an asshole (Oz, John Adams, In Bruges, etc.), he's spot on.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 am

Fievel wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:For me, the actor they have playing Danko is largely responsible for this season failing to be the one that returns this series to the glory days of Season One. I haven't been so underwhelmed by a villain since Bowie the Goblin King - at least the latter was knowingly playing it for laughs. "The Hunter" should be a cold, emotionless, relentless killer - one who exudes menace and remains infallible right up until season's end. Instead we have an undersized, shuffling shambles of a man, full of whimsy and capable of regular gross errors in judgment. He has the on-screen presence of Lindsay Lohan, at best.

I'll agree to a certain degree. Zeljko Ivanek plays a great asshole, bot not a good heavy. In Heroes, he actually looks terminally ill every second he's on screen. The guy needs to get out in the sun for a minute.
But every role he's had where he plays an asshole (Oz, John Adams, In Bruges, etc.), he's spot on.

Yup - I'll give you that. Well played sir!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:17 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:Okay, so Sylar is posing as Petrelli? Sounds like Season 1 to me.

Yeah, it was in the future which didn't end up happening....or did it?

I think the last few episodes have been pretty solid. Apart from the Hiro-Ando-Baby-Trucker roadtrip episode.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:20 pm

I am done with this show after the season finale. That crap with the weather witch was pointless... it was more than pointless, it was insulting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

You lasted longer than I did.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 am

you both lasted longer than i did.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:45 pm

The teeth pulling - surely if his DNA changed then that tooth would have grown back?

None of it is clear!!!!!!

Why am I still watching?!?!?!?!

papalazeru

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm

papalazeru wrote:Why am I still watching?!?!?!?!

For me it's a bizarre cocktail of self-hate and hope springing eternal. But there are limits, even to my self-hate, and this show is reaching them.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:

For me it's a bizarre cocktail of self-hate and hope springing eternal. But there are limits, even to my self-hate, and this show is reaching them.

I have one space in my brain for an absolute crap show, that's reserved for Smallville - I feel guilty but I've invested so much time in it.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:36 pm

Saw that "1961" episode now and it was kinda crappy. The crazy sister stuff was rubs. The flashback stuff was half-decent.

It's not quite Smallville-bad yet, but they really can't slip up anymore with tosh like that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:37 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

I have one space in my brain for an absolute crap show, that's reserved for Smallville - I feel guilty but I've invested so much time in it.

Intriguing - I never bothered wth it when it was in its infancy - but for the past two years I've seen so many different ads on E4 that left me thinking I really should have got into it. As for Heroes, one last season, I think. I want Claire to die. This does not make me a bad person.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

Intriguing - I never bothered wth it when it was in its infancy - but for the past two years I've seen so many different ads on E4 that left me thinking I really should have got into it. As for Heroes, one last season, I think. I want Claire to die. This does not make me a bad person.

Either she dies or she stops wearing that blonde wig.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 pm

And I thought last weeks episode was shitty... Jeebus this weeks episode was all kinds of ALF. Too many glaring faults, stupid plotlines and inconsistencies to list not to mention Mohinder at the end making it a million times worse. I swear I almost turned this episode off in disgust a half dozen times.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm a few weeks behind but I just caught Chapter 9 last night. (Whichever episode was before "1961") The scene with Parkman, Danko, and the mail-order Russian girlfriend? Would have been so much more effective if Parkman had shot the girl, only to be stopped when Hiro showed up. We could see how broken and angry Parkman is which would make the following scene of him meeting his son pay off so much more. Hiro could save the girl AND Parkman AND make a speech about what it is to be a hero, because - let's face it - Hiro is the conscience of the show. But no, they went the easy way. Fuckers.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am

John-Locke wrote: I swear I almost turned this episode off in disgust a half dozen times.

I admire your self-restraint!

Tyrone - I wish this show would hire you on as a writer - that's a great idea. That would actually mean there would have been a point to that European chick. I mean, I guess she was there to show the human side to Danko - but unfortunately it just made him across weak, sad, vulnerable and desperate.

Hardly the qualities to strive for in your main villain...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:But no, they went the easy way. Fuckers.

Don't they always?

Flashback to the scene where Claire and both of her moms were captured by the puppet man. How much more interesting would it have been if Claire hadn't been shot, but it was one of her moms instead? Claire (and her moms) were banking on the bullet hitting her. What if that didn't happen? What if Claire had to learn the hard way that not everything always goes according to plan? What if Claire had to deal with some real emotional tragedy? Yeah, far more interesting, so of course they didn't do it.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial