Mad Men

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Mad Men

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:18 pm

I loved this season opener, very subtle yet filled with great moments.

Is it pretentious to say I had a similar experience recently to Don's dealing with the bikini prudes?

The show needs more Joan Holloway, she too had a neat one-liner when she was talking to TV Guy.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:09 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:You forgot crappy ass Entourage, which I watch for god knows what reason now.

yeah...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm

I liked the season 4 openner, it was much faster paced than any episode of the show I've seen before. Not as serene and stark as usual and it was kinda refreshing. They're all full of zip and energized by the challenge of their new firm.

Maybe I grossly misinterpretted the ending of last season, but I didn't think they were taking almost all of their former firm with them. I thought the new firm was going to be smaller with only Don, Roger, Burt, Peter, Arthur and Joan. But I guess I was wrong. I thought they were going to face off against most of the old crew now as competitors. I would've been fine seeing H@rry, Kenny, and Paul get axed. We haven't seen Kenny yet. Maybe he's gone.

And yeah, I hope Betty kills herself or something.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 am

Mr. Lucky Strikes is a jerk. I was hoping Sterling would punch him in the face but that wouldn't be a very good business decision. Joan leading the Conga line at the Xmas party was awesome. Glad to see Joan back in fine form. Anyone else think that Peggy's boyfriend looks like he's in high school? How long before Don beds the nurse from across the hall? I really thought Don was going to fire his secretary but enjoyed the awkwardness the next day when he handed her the Xmas bonus. Looks like even Sally may see some action this year with that creepy kid who ransacked their kitchen.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:45 pm

That little kid's like a younger version of the American Beauty guy... too bad video cameras weren't invented yet or we would have had an artsy plastic bag shot.

No way Don was going to fire the secretary, what he did was assholish enough, but he's a real man and well able to face the consequences of his actions.

Season 4 has been off to a terrific start. Still curious what the "major" arc(s) will be this season, but so far so good.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:That little kid's like a younger version of the American Beauty guy... too bad video cameras weren't invented yet or we would have had an artsy plastic bag shot.

I just read the other day that the creepy little kid who plays Glen Bishop is Matthew Weiner's son.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Sally and that creepy boy are having some sort of LET THE RIGHT ONE IN thing going on. It's so fucked up. I could see them going HEAVENLY CREATURES and killing Betty.

I like the depiction of Roger this season as an ex-snatchhound. I know lots of ex-snatchhounds and he's got it down pat.

And yeah....Joan....that nice Roger POV shot of her walking away was wonderful. When I win the lottery I'm going to pay her and Beyonce to work in shifts sitting on my face.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 am

Favourite Lane Pryce drunken moment in last night's episode? It would have to be the scene where Don and Lane are being extremely disruptive at the theatre while watching the Godzilla flick however the steak belt was totally unexpected and silly too. Pryce was brilliant last night, he's easily one of my favourite characters. The flower screw up really made me chuckle. I'm just waiting for Joan's husband to show his ugly side again. Once a jerk, always a jerk!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:10 am

Maui wrote:I'm just waiting for Joan's husband to show his ugly side again. Once a jerk, always a jerk!

I'm just waiting for Joan's husband to go off to Vietnam and die! I really hope that's what happens, but maybe that's too easy. Entertainment Weekly the described him as Joan's rapist/husband. I'm not sure if it was their intention but it made me laugh. No matter what it would please me oh so much if her and Roger started up again.

No "Heavenly Creatures" sickness, I don't want Sally to turn sour because of her awful mother. As much as I don't like Betty I am pissed off by Glen's hatefulness. He's like one of the rare people in the world she actually liked, connected with and was good to. You'd think he's old enough to not still be mad about her calling his mom when he ran away. Mostly though I think I'm mad because all I was thinking when they messed up that kitchen was 'you stupid brats all you're doing is making more work for Carla!'
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Snow Apple wrote:
Maui wrote:I'm just waiting for Joan's husband to show his ugly side again. Once a jerk, always a jerk!

I'm just waiting for Joan's husband to go off to Vietnam and die! I really hope that's what happens

Even better!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 am

Man, Roger acting all crazy with those guys from Honda was intense. It was kinda strange because it actually made sense for the character and the era. Even today a guy like Roger would probably still be kinda prejudiced, probably not to the point that he'd let it get in the way of making money.

And that stuff with Betty and Sally is gong into DAS WEISSE BAND territory. Betty continues to be television's worst mother ever.

Yet strangely, this was one of the funniest episodes of the series. I laughed out loud more often than I usually do.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm

That final scene in the elevator with Don and Roger was superb. So that's how Don got the job. :lol:
I also thought Don was going to puke during that LIFE presentation. Don has not hit rock bottom yet but he's getting there fast. It's good to see Cosgrove back. It will be fun to watch him and Pete buck heads.

Lastly, Don's old secretary Mrs. Blankenship is hilarious.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Coincidence that Mad Men had an awards show episode the same night as the Emmy's?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Coincidence that Mad Men had an awards show episode the same night as the Emmy's?

Yeah, that made me grin.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Jon Hamm does one of the best drunk acts I've ever seen. It was so subtle. You could see him getting loose at the edges but still holding it together until his ultimate blackout bender.

I didn't really like the AUSTIN POWERS style hide-the-sausage stuff during the nude scene. It's 2010, can we not show a dude's erect schlong on a television drama yet?

Roger writing his memoirs is fucking hysterical.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Last night's episode, The Suitcase, may be my all time favourite episode ever of Mad Men. Peggy and Don both let their guard down and it was just a fantastic hour of dialogue. Just WoW!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. A lot of emotion going on... and Miss Blankenship was a hell cat, LOL!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:28 pm

She died like she lived, surrounded by the people she answered phones for.

RIP Mrs. Blankenship

I'm going to miss her asking Don if he's going to the toilet.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Panic attacks, a pregnancy, Price getting beaten up by his Dad, Lucky Strike bowing out - the excrement is hitting the fan...BIG TIME.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Such a great show... as always, the things that happen to poor Joanie are heartbreaking. Loved Sally's reaction on the phone, LOL.

And: HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO MEGAN!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Such a great show... as always, the things that happen to poor Joanie are heartbreaking. Loved Sally's reaction on the phone, LOL.

And: HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO MEGAN!

I dont think Joanie went through with it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 am

Yeah, Draper freaked out way worse than usual about his fake identity almost getting blown.

I like that psychologist lady. She's nice. I would like to date her.

I wonder if Roger is really going to die this season. It seemed like they wanted to kill him off in the first season with that heart attack so that Draper could take his job, but they probably kept the character around because people liked him. But maybe his time has come.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:And: HELLLOOOOOOOOOOO MEGAN!

They sure didn't drag that out, did they?

I think they need to bring Sal back. He could get the Lucky Strike account back for them. :oops:

I'd also like a signed copy of Sterling's Gold.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Hmm, didn't think that the crisis would already be resolved, assuming that Heinz is the beginning of replacing the void caused by Lucky Strike leaving.

Where do they go from here? History favors some character development but last season's awesome-crazy plot twist might be an effect they want to repeat this year.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Hmm, didn't think that the crisis would already be resolved, assuming that Heinz is the beginning of replacing the void caused by Lucky Strike leaving.

I have a feeling that this Heinz meeting Faye has secured with Don could possibly go south if she gets wind of Don's late night dealings with Megan. Then again, maybe not. It's hard to know whether or not Don's infidelities will rattle her or not, enough to the point where she would prevent the meeting from happening. She doesn't strike me as the jealous type but you just never know.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:39 am

Damn.

Daaaaaaaaaayyyyuuummmm!

Somehow none of what happened is surprising, but I still didn't think that this would actually happen!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:33 am

The Bobby Kennedy prank phone call. :lol:

I find it amusing that Betty wants to continue to see the child psychologist. Next week, we'll see Betty play with dolls at the shrink's office and complain about a controlling mother.

Geez, that corporate downsizing really hit home. I wonder how many viewers watched that and cringed.

Heinz did fall through, as did everything else. Don's ad was interesting, the jury's still out on whether or not it will get the right attention.

Where's Conrad Hilton when you need him.

I can't believe next week is the season finale. Mad Men withdrawals here we come.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:04 pm

This is some gamechanging shit right here. This season when they started out as their own agency they never really had to fight, they just broke off from the old company with the bed already made, now they really are the little guy.

And I might read Sterling's Gold, I'm guessing he left all the good parts out, but the egotrip of it would probably be worth the ride.

Did anybody else think that wacky stuff with Lane and the Playboy bunny and his dad stepping on his hand like a bully felt like it was from a totally different show? I'm glad they didn't do any more of that this week.

When Don fucks everything up with Faye, she can be my girlfriend, or I'll date Don, either way I'm happy.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Did anybody else think that wacky stuff with Lane and the Playboy bunny and his dad stepping on his hand like a bully felt like it was from a totally different show? I'm glad they didn't do any more of that this week.

I actually liked the brief glimpse into Lane's upbringing.

Mad Men does this often though. They introduce characters in one season and then we don't see them again til a few seasons later. They did this in the latest episode with the reappearance of Midge - and how great was her heroin inspired artwork quote?

"It's like drinking a hundred bottles of whiskey while someone licks your tits."

I'm guessing Daddy Dearest may resurface again too somewhere down the road.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 am

Don engaged to Megan? Poor poor Faye. Did this engagement make any sense or is it just showing us that Don is completely lost?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Don's an idiot.

That was an interesting finale, not quite as climactic as last season's, but then again last season's finale was the exception. I guess this was more on par with the rest of the series.

So Joanie did keep the baby after all. Yay Joanie!

Also SCDP seems to be back on track, but does that mean Cooper's still out? His departure was pretty sudden, and he doesn't strike me as the impulsive type, so I don't know if I should take his leaving last time at face value.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Don's an idiot.

Indeed, which probably means that the beginning of next season a year will have passed and Don's marriage to Megan will already be in turmoil.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Joanie's pregnancy storyline - both Daddy choices are undesirable: Papa Sterling and Dr. Vietnam/rapist. I always knew Joanie was going to keep the baby after her OB/GYN visit and multiple abortion discussion.

I also want to see more of Betty next season. Her character is so complex and it's great to see her daughter outsmart her in every way. Plus, we were just starting to see the demise of her marriage to the senator.

I still like to make predictions with this show, even if I'm completely wrong, week after week.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:05 pm

When Joanie's baby is born with grey hair she's going to have some splainin' to do. And could you believe her husband getting all excited to hear her breasts were getting bigger from the pregnancy? Jesus man, how much woman do you need? You won't even be able to get your arms around her for a hug.

And yeah, poor Dr. Faye. So endlessly understanding and supportive. I love you, Dr. Faye. And poor Carla. This episode had two of the saddest dumpings ever.

My prediction is Don and Betty start having an affair.

I also predict Cooper's death and funeral being a big episode in the near future.

I am interested to see if the actress who plays Sally grows up to be a big actress, she's really good. Maybe she'll be the next Natalie Portman.

Megan did a good job with the French. And yeah, I can't believe Don's marrying her. But nothing says romance like proposing with the ring from the man who's identity you stole.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Did you know that Megan went to a Catholic all-girls high school? That's right, with THE uniform and everything!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:30 pm

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:Ahem.

Too funny. I wonder if they've dedicated atleast a chapter detailing his rendezvous with Mrs. Blankenship (aka Hellcat).

A bit off topic, but have any of you seen the commercials John Slattery is doing for Lincoln MKX? Pretty classy/cool if you ask me.
Last edited by Maui on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 pm

I will simply echo one of the comments on that Amazon item: "wtf is dis real????"
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Real and, from what I've read, written by one or more of the show's writers.

Unfortunately it sounds like less of a fictionalized biography and more just a collection of Roger quotes and advice.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:48 pm

That's pretty weak if true, they didn't have the balls to stick with the fantasy. Would've loved to read the Joanie chapter(s)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:51 am

So this should be starting again soon, no?

Hamm has signed on for 3 more years. I thought I remembered reading that Weiner had a definite end point in mind for the show, like he planned it to run 5 years or something, and wasn't going to just keep it going because it was popular.

I also read awhile ago that Jon Hamm will be directing at least one episode this season, the article did not specify when.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 am

Er, if I recall correctly there weren't going to be any new Mad Men episodes 'til 2012! :(
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 am

2012?

This news saddenizes me. This show usually starts up in the summer, so I figured it would again this year and that's why I was asking when it starts.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 am

Mad Men "won't end in a fart," says showrunner Matthew Weiner. However, it will apparently end with old-people make-up:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/11/matt-weiner-mad-men-finale-2.html

Matt Weiner is still taking an Abbey Road approach to the finale of Mad Men, but he has a more specific goal now, too. "I just want it to be entertaining and I want people to remember it fondly and not think it ended in a fart," he told Jeff Garlin at a Q&A in L.A. on Friday. "It came to me in the middle of last season. I always felt like it would be the experience of human life. And human life has a destination," he said. No, not death.

"It doesn't mean Don's gonna die. What I'm looking for, and how I hope to end the show, is like ... It's 2011. Don Draper would be 84 right now. I want to leave the show in a place where you have an idea of what it meant and how it's related to you."

He also told Garlin and the audience about some contentious encounters — with an actor, with Alex Trebek ("Alex basically said, 'You have bad grades. No Centrum Silver for you'"), with AMC, and also with the Internet. Some people did not like Don's voice-over last season, Weiner said. "Some people were like, 'You're not allowed to do that. There's no voice-over on the show.' And I'm like, 'Go fuck yourself. Go get your own fucking show. Don't write on the Internet what I'm allowed to fucking do.'" The phrase you're looking for is "haters gonna hate," Matt.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Mad Men came and went this weekend. Anybody watch it?

I've been keeping up with this final season, but I haven't seen the finale yet
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue May 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Ribbons wrote:Mad Men came and went this weekend. Anybody watch it?

I've been keeping up with this final season, but I haven't seen the finale yet

Never watched this one. (sorry, didn't want your post to go unrecognized)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks. :wink:

I liked the last episode overall. The very very end was deliberately ambiguous in the manner of The Sopranos, which I didn't like so much. I think Weiner complicated things more than they needed to be, and at this point it's something of a cliche. So that rankles a little bit.

I also think the show may have gone on too long, but I'm not sure whether I'm in the minority on that one. I loved the first few seasons and absolutely adore season 4, but to me the last two seasons felt like wheels spinning.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial