Mad Men

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Mad Men

Postby zacks19 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Any other fans of The Sopranos looking forward to the new AMC series Mad Men? The same producers worked on both shows, and I'm interested to see what they've come up with post-Tony. I found a trailer for it here:
http://media.amctv.com/originals/madmen/
Love the retro feel, and the sets look great! Keeping my fingers crossed for this one
zacks19
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby buster00 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:08 pm

It looks interesting. It won't have the HBO-level grit of "Sopranos," but that shouldn't matter.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:04 pm

I've been looking forward to it. Must remember to set DVR.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:35 am

Reminder this starts tonight!

10PM EST
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby aura on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:39 am

I'm only into it because of one actor.
aura
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:43 am

aura wrote:I'm only into it because of one actor.

and that is?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 am

.....which is?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:51 am

godzillasushi wrote:

.....which is?

I totally beat ya
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:54 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:

.....which is?

I totally beat ya

Yea by like two minutes :oops:

I leave my computer momentarily and the rest of you swoop in :wink:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby aura on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 am

Vincent Kartheiser.

I'm not really familiar with the gamut of his work, but he was impressive in a particular independent film I saw years ago.
aura
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 am

aura wrote:Vincent Kartheiser.

I'm not really familiar with the gamut of his work, but he was impressive in a particular independent film I saw years ago.

Wow you are very vague about everything
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby aura on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 am

"Another Day in Paradise".
aura
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby zacks19 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:45 pm

Can't wait for the Mad Men season finale tomorrow night! Don Draper has now become one of my top favorite TV characters of all time. Such a nostalgic show...can't wait for season 2;)

I found a quick spot for the finale here:
http://www.amctv.com:80/videos/madmen/
zacks19
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:11 pm

D'oh!

Even though it's the "off-season" for "Mad Men," I was re-watching episodes of this on AMC a few days ago and remembered how good it was. More of you should watch it!

It's one of my favorite shows on TV right now. From the writing to the production design to the opening credits, it's just well-made on every level, and it explores a lot of social issues without being overwritten or overly preachy. It's a shame that it's on AMC, because I feel like it would have gotten much more attention in a bigger venue.

Here are a couple of links if you're interested in a little more information:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingbusiness/ci_7828034?nclick_check=1

http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:17 pm

aura wrote:Vincent Kartheiser.

Vincent Kartheiser is also (in?)famous for his role as Angel's son Conor. He plays a rebellious young turk in "Mad Men" as well, but the role is actually quite different, and I was a little surprised at first to see him looking and behaving so, well, differently than how I was used to seeing him on "Angel."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:30 am

Ribbons wrote:From the writing to the production design to the opening credits, it's just well-made on every level, and it explores a lot of social issues without being overwritten or overly preachy. It's a shame that it's on AMC, because I feel like it would have gotten much more attention in a bigger venue.

Too right. The whole production just oozes style and that credit sequence is my favorite on TV at the moment. (Although sometimes the writing is a bit uneven and a little lacking in the subtlety department).
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been watching this from the beginning, but I missed the last half of the season, but I have them on my DVR. When I get a chance, I plan to catch up. Whoever said "oozes style" was right. This show is awesome, and deserving of some of the recognition it has received.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Watched the first six episodes of this while I was overseas and I dug the hell out of it. Have yet to catch up further, but I was quite impressed with what I saw. Very nice production, costumes, etc. I can't believe this show is on AMC!??!!?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I can't believe this show is on AMC!??!!?

Yuppers. They're producing another scripted show too, called "Breaking Bad," which is about two dudes who run a meth lab. It'll be interesting to see how that one turns out.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:34 pm

I like this show.

I had to write that down before I forget.

Only half-way through the season, but it's shaping up really nicely, I thought. They've built a pretty beautiful foundation from which to play and expand the characters and storylines, a nice mix of stylization and genuine pathos. It's hitting most, if not nearly all the beats for me, so far in.

Hopefully a nice replacement for that top-tier character drama shaped hole in my viewing schedule, in the wake of Six Feet Under and The Sopranos...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I finally finished watching this show and I was completely impressed as others have said.

Excellent storylines with a healthy amount of insight into the birth of modern consumerist culture.

Looking forward to Season 2.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: Mad Men

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm

I just found out I have the entire first season of this on my cable's On Demand feature.
I do believe I will be checking this out.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:58 am

Fievel wrote:I just found out I have the entire first season of this on my cable's On Demand feature.
I do believe I will be checking this out.

Same here. But at my house. Because that's a hell of a drive and I figure you've got enough going on with the new baby. Though we could go to The Gun Barn afterward.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:05 pm

I love this show. LOVE it! For all the reasons already stated. But I do have a nit pick. I hate that they felt the need to give Don Draper a convuluted back story. To me that's always just a lazy way to make a character "interesting," and with a show like this it's totally unnecessary cause Don Draper is already such a blast to watch anyways (and he has an uncanny resemblance to Deniro). I just wish the writers could have bypassed that silliness and trusted the character as he's developed within the show, rather than thinking they had to lean on an over-developed backstory.

But it's a nitpick. Like I say, love the show, enjoying season 2. Speaking of, wonder when they're going to get around to showing the outcome of Draper finding out his wife knows he's a cheater, you'd think he'd have talkedto the psychologist by now.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Ive been watching it but not on sunday nights. I definitely don't think it's upto snuff this season and most of the plot lines feel a bit cliched or easy. That being said it's still a good show just not as good.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Squashua on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:38 am

I don't like the Second Season as much as I loved the first season, but it's getting there.

I don't think that Tom Hank's son is who he claims to be.
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Squashua on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:40 am

Also, I watched Old School again and the actor who plays Jimmy Barret (the comedian) in Mad Men is Jeremy Piven's lackey in that movie.

And freaking John Locke is Cuthbert's father!
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:52 am

Just finished season 1. Brilliant. Only thing that bothered me a bit was: the sudden fatness of Peggy and then the sudden baby boom. And noone notices it at work. I did wonder for 2 episodes why she was suddenly so bloated. Loved the closing image of the season with Draper alone on the stairs. Catching up with season 2 coming weeks.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:46 am

The guys noticed Peggy got big, they made some mean comment.

Does it bother anyone else how they show you a character or story and then it's like it never happened and you wonder will there ever be more because sometimes there isn't. And there is a sense of general uneasiness about the whole show, it puts me on edge because I don't always know what to expect. I love it passionately and I think this season is just as good as the first. Better even because I finally got upset about the way Betty feels about her kids and then when Don laid his hands on her. Oh my gosh I didn't breath.

I could go on about it for hours, but for this site I think I've already said too much.

It is the perfect show.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 am

Okay, one more thing. I love that the girls bodies fit the time period, they look so pretty. That scene with the bikini fashion show, oh my gosh I wish I had that sort of hip to waist ratio. Joan has to be padded up, because there is no way someone can be small in the places she's small and round in the places she's round. She looks so fucking hot.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:16 pm

Snow Apple wrote:Okay, one more thing. I love that the girls bodies fit the time period, they look so pretty. That scene with the bikini fashion show, oh my gosh I wish I had that sort of hip to waist ratio. Joan has to be padded up, because there is no way someone can be small in the places she's small and round in the places she's round. She looks so fucking hot.

If you saw her at the emmy's they arent padding her at all. My girlfriend had thought the same thing, but then we saw some recent pics and it was definitely a no. Also, Joan's clothes don't really seem to fit correctly this season, as the other girls are leaving the 50s styles she is hanging on as the dresses get less and less flattering for her body type.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:24 pm

To each his own I guess, you think less flattering, I think wow she looks sexy I kind of want to touch her. I think she's lucky she's looking like that all all on her own. I like Joan dressing like she does while the other girls get more 60's cute.

I'm just glad she's really engaged. I couldn't recall seeing it happen and I was full of angst that she was making it all up and what was that going to lead to. I don't know if they wrote it like that on purpuse or I just somehow zoned out during a proposal scene.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:08 am

Snow Apple wrote:To each his own I guess, you think less flattering, I think wow she looks sexy I kind of want to touch her. I think she's lucky she's looking like that all all on her own. I like Joan dressing like she does while the other girls get more 60's cute.

I'm just glad she's really engaged. I couldn't recall seeing it happen and I was full of angst that she was making it all up and what was that going to lead to. I don't know if they wrote it like that on purpuse or I just somehow zoned out during a proposal scene.

I do think Joan is sexy but her dresses look all bunchy in places they shouldnt. Smarter people than me have commented on it as well. The other girls moved into more 60s attire as you mentioned especially don's new secretary. Joan is just isnt progressing as the other women are and that body type is slowly fading away as the definition of beauty. That being said I do think she is a sexy woman but what she is wearing hugs her body in all the wrong places.

You didnt zone out. It happened somewhere in the 2 year gap between seasons.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 am

Glad to know I didn't miss anything. I'd like to think I'm so enthralled I don't miss a second.

Now I am going to be analyzing Joan's dresses in detail. I haven't noticed bunching. I think her prettiness distracts me.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:47 am

Snow Apple wrote:Glad to know I didn't miss anything. I'd like to think I'm so enthralled I don't miss a second.

Now I am going to be analyzing Joan's dresses in detail. I haven't noticed bunching. I think her prettiness distracts me.

Honestly I didnt particularly notice either but my gf has been pointing it out when we watch it together.

Haven't seen tonight's episode yet but it's on queue for tomorrow.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:14 am

Ya, I like to watch it when I'm all daisy fresh, I'm too tired to watch tonight.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Squashua on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Just finished season 1. Brilliant. Only thing that bothered me a bit was: the sudden fatness of Peggy and then the sudden baby boom. And noone notices it at work. I did wonder for 2 episodes why she was suddenly so bloated.

They hinted at it quite early in the season; the best and probably initial clue (besides her sleeping with Pete) was while she was still thin. She got frustrated with something, ran over to the sandwich cart, ordered a danish and crammed it down.

Right then and there, I was like, "Oh, she's pregnant!"
Squashua
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Then did you doubt yourself? I thought that too and then I kept wondering if maybe I was just supposed to think that she was pregnant and really she was just fatter. That's one of the reasons I love the show so much, I'm always wondering.

And it teaches. When they threw the trash all over after the picnic I had a shocked amusement and then I thought they must not have been into promoting no littering back then or the Draper's wouldn't be doing such things. I went online and found out it wasn't until the mid 60's that it became a part of the culture to prevent litter. That sort of attention to detail fascinates me and draws me in.

I am dying to see what goes on with Peggy and the priest next week.

I cry at some point in just about every episode, but it's not usually over something sad or upsetting, but my heart broke more than ever for Joan this week. I am not usually much bothered by rape on screen, not that she was raped, but really she sort of was. That's what made it so upsetting. It was almost traumatizing watching that.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:04 am

Snow Apple wrote:I cry at some point in just about every episode, but it's not usually over something sad or upsetting, but my heart broke more than ever for Joan this week. I am not usually much bothered by rape on screen, not that she was raped, but really she sort of was. That's what made it so upsetting. It was almost traumatizing watching that.

Saying no and being forced into sex is rape for sure. Her doctor fiancee needs to be the agressor in order to "function."

I really loved peggy's reasoning for getting the office "I'm sleeping with Don." I definitely think Joan is really jealous of her at this point. Joan wanted to be the script reader and it was her opportunity for getting out of the secretary pool but she didnt push for it and it was given to a random.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 am

Joan is totally jealous of Peggy. It's so frustrating that Joan is so competent and able to manipulate things her way, but when it counts, when it's more than just covering something up or being catty she didn't follow through. Why doesn't she believe in herself in that way? Oh Joan. It almost seemed like Joan's jealousy of Peggy was turning towards awe and respect in that last interaction.

If forced to say Joan was or wasn't raped, I would go with raped, but it's so weird because it's her fiance and even in our day and age it would be difficult for people to accept that as rape. It was awful, is what it was. He does need to be the aggressor. Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if that wasn't just him getting back at her a little bit because of her behavior at home the night before and his suspiciousness growing after seeing her talk to Roger. My heart breaks for that woman. I am so glad she's just a character.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby monorail77 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Snow Apple, it is interesting you think about rape this way. Being forced to have sex against your will is indeed rape, at least where I'm from. Canada's rape laws were changed a number of years ago to address precisely this point. It doesn't matter if its your boyfriend, fiance or spouse, its still rape and its still illegal. Maybe its different in the States. I certainly hope not.

I just wanted to chime in and echo my love for Madmen. Such a great show. And like Snow Apple mentioned, I love how they nod to the different views of the time which are now outrageously politically incorrect - like the littering. My favourite example was last season when someone's kids were running around (I can't remember if they were Don's) and one of them had a plastic dry cleaning bag over her head. The mom stops the kid and you think she's going to chew the kid out for being unsafe but instead, the mom says some thing like "Is that my dry cleaning bag? My clean dress better not be on the floor." Classic.

Also, I have a man-crush on Don Draper. Does that make me Ghey? :?
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:34 pm

monorail77 wrote:Snow Apple, it is interesting you think about rape this way. Being forced to have sex against your will is indeed rape, at least where I'm from. Canada's rape laws were changed a number of years ago to address precisely this point. It doesn't matter if its your boyfriend, fiance or spouse, its still rape and its still illegal. Maybe its different in the States. I certainly hope not.

It's not different. It would definitely still be rape here. Not in that time, however.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:14 am

Having a crush on Don is perfectly normal for all people.

I know that it was rape, but like stereosforgeeks said it wouldn't be in that time. I think I was thrown off because that situation is so unfamiliar to me. It took time to process.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby monorail77 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:11 am

No worries. It was really just an excuse for m to flout the superiority of all things Canadian! 8-)
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Wow, Pete actually cares about something. Pete shedding a tear over his lost baby, after being so cold towards bearing one with his wife made this episode.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:13 pm

I thought this last episode was tad predictable. Good stuff went down and itll be cool to see how things shake out.

I definitely think Ducks idea for the company doesn't fly with PPL. He'll be out next season or definitely on the back burner.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:46 pm

It seemed like the English guys were indicating that Duck isn't the man for the job. Even if they do put him in charge there is no way it's going to last. Oh his face when he found out Don didn't have a contract.

So, did Don mean what he said to Pete? At first I thought he was just digging himself out of a hole, but then when he said that about not being able to get what you want right when you want it he seemed so sincere. Like he really has confidence in Pete.

Also, what did Peggy say to Pete exactly? I was so anxious about what she was going to say I couldn't comprehend all that she did say. Then I got so upset by what I did understand that I didn't want to rewind it.
Last edited by Snow Apple on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am

Snow Apple wrote:Also, what did Peggy say to Pete exactly? I was so anxious about what she was going to say I couldn't comprehend all that she did say. Then I got so upset by what I did understand that I didn't want to rewind it.

She said that she could have had him if she wanted him, but that wasn't what she wanted for herself.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 pm

That's the part I understood, that she could've had him if she wanted him and then she told him why. But then after that I didn't catch everything. I guess it doesn't matter because there is no way they're going to be together. Especially if he shoots himself. Which just CAN'T happen.

I don't like Pete, but I really felt for him, I wanted to hold him and nurse him through his pain. Peggy kept her mouth shut this long, she should've kept on doing so. She's a selfish little thing.

I just read at imdb that the toddler we were meant to think of as Peggy's is actually her sister's kid. I am so confused right now. I mean why did her sister single him out when Peggy went over there as if Peggy should go see just him?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 am

I think we were lead to believe that the little boy was Peggy's, so that the final revelation would be more dramatic. It also adds to the irony that Pete wouldn't adopt, because he wanted a child of his own blood, and the one place where he could find a child of his blood was at an orphanage. HAHAHAHA.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Next

Return to Coaxial