Mad Men

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Mad Men

Postby Ironical on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Noooo Sal! First Joan now Sal! This is lame.

And Don really pissed me off throughout this whole episode... I'm not sure I care any longer about anyone left on this show. I hope it pulls itself together again.
Just because I don't wanna war with you, don't mean go warm up the barbecue.
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Ironical wrote:Noooo Sal! First Joan now Sal! This is lame.

And Don really pissed me off throughout this whole episode... I'm not sure I care any longer about anyone left on this show. I hope it pulls itself together again.

Kinsey?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:34 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:

Kinsey?

huh?
My high noon is a quick little minute, I don't want to spend it sitting with a critic, who simply isn't going to ever really get it.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 am

Ironical wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Kinsey?

huh?

Just curious if you care about maybe Paul Kinsey or Harry Crane? Maybe Ken?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 pm

I don't think Sal is fired and gone! I wasn't even sure if Don fired him or told him to suck it up and take it from the Smokey Thingie guy.

I've really had it with the cheating. Even though Betty didn't fully go through with it, her shit mixed with Don being such a scumbag had me quite annoyed. Cheating just isn't sexy, not when it seems so real.

I am curious if Conrad Hilton was mentally ill or just an asshole like his offspring.

JOAN NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!! Or at least some personal stuff besides the Drapers. I miss Peggy. Her saying a couple lines as a worker bee isn't enough.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 pm

I dunno, it seemed to me that Don was telling Sal that he should have gone along with the client (wink wink nudge nudge) to close the deal, since Sal didn't - he's outta there. FIRED!
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Maui wrote:I dunno, it seemed to me that Don was telling Sal that he should have gone along with the client (wink wink nudge nudge) to close the deal, since Sal didn't - he's outta there. FIRED!

I didnt take it that way either.

Don basically told him that because he's a Dumbledore whore Don can't believe him at his word.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:I dunno, it seemed to me that Don was telling Sal that he should have gone along with the client (wink wink nudge nudge) to close the deal, since Sal didn't - he's outta there. FIRED!

Don basically told him that because he's a Dumbledore whore Don can't believe him at his word.

Yeah, good point. Regardless of what Don flippantly said to Sal about closing the deal, the heart of the matter is that Don doesn't trust his word.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:08 am

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yeah, good point. Regardless of what Don flippantly said to Sal about closing the deal, the heart of the matter is that Don doesn't trust his word.

Unfortunately the client is king and if Don cant believe Sal because of what he saw then he can't do anything about it. It's sad that Sal wanted to not do anything because of his work and it might cost him everything.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:52 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Unfortunately the client is king and if Don cant believe Sal because of what he saw then he can't do anything about it. It's sad that Sal wanted to not do anything because of his work and it might cost him everything.

I interpreted it the way Maui did. That Don was saying - well you're Dumbledore, you'll fuck anything, you shoulda taken one for the team and since you didn't - you're fired. I think Sal's out either way.

Stereo - I can't ever remember the names of those other dudes - that's why I was confused. The guy with the beard is interesting and i like him. And that blonde haired guy that got promoted with Pete, I like him. Is he even still around? And there really hasn't been enough Peggy lately at all.

I dunno in general though, I don't know that I can like Don after what he said to Sal... and if I don't like Don I'm not sure how long I can stay interested in the show - regardless of peripheral characters.
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:14 am

I was wondering if they didn't partly make Don be such a jerk to Sal because he's been so damn liberal lately and they were trying to rein him back. How can the show get rid of Sal? No way. It's enough Joan is gone, even if she comes back. And she better come back.

You'll like Don again Ironical, you aren't the only one that would stop watching if he kept being so easy to dislike.

Thank you guys for helping me understand more of why Don was such a twat. At the time I was thinking 'but Don knows he's lying, this is weird'. It didn't click, the idea of Don not trusting Sal.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:51 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Did any one notice the prison guard and his wife did not walk out with a baby.

Yup! There was definitely not a baby in the wife's arms as the guard wheeled her down the hospital hallway.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:58 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:NEVER EVER BRING A JOHN DEERE INTO AN OFFICE BUILDING!

Man that was some crazy shit! Was not expecting it at all.

That was some crazy shit! Here the viewer is dreaming up all these wonderful story lines with this new character, bucking heads with Don, wooing the ladies in the office and his foot gets chomped off - never to be seen again. I really laughed when Sterling said that the office looked like Iwo Jima.

I'm still waiting for Chauncey (Quack's dog) to return back to the lobby doors of Sterling Cooper.

Anyways, last week's episode I still need to watch.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:29 pm

Maui wrote:I'm still waiting for Chauncey (Quack's dog) to return back to the lobby doors of Sterling Cooper.

You have no idea how happy that would make me. Provided someone took him home and loved him. It won't happen but it's a nice thought.

I hope tomorrow's episode grabs us back characterwise instead of pushing us away. We'll see Joan so that's sure to make everyone happy.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:44 pm

Snow Apple wrote:You have no idea how happy that would make me. Provided someone took him home and loved him. It won't happen but it's a nice thought.

Hah, yeah I know. It would be like Mad Men incorporating a little bit of "Lassie Come Home" into the show.

So I'm caught up now and I can honestly say that I'm getting a bit of a Glenn Close/Fatal attraction vibe from the teacher. We are used to seeing most of Don's women remain fairly unattached/unclingy while romancing him, so this will be a first and very interesting to see how Don will handle this.

I'm also not sure how Betty is going to deal with this discovery of Don's past. I'm predicting she will head straight into the arms of the congressman.

I do agree, we need more Peggy and Joan. I also enjoy Pete's character (minus the nanny episode).
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:46 pm

I love to hate Pete and sometimes I plain love him/want to nurture him. The nanny thing was too much for me, I'm pretending it didn't happen. No matter what the show is better with him and his Pete ways.

I am all excited by the idea of the teacher maybe getting psycho. She thinks she's so aware and above it all I'd like to see her be weak and insane.

I don't like the congressman!!! I want Betty to find someone else to run to if she's going to.

I can't remember if we know why Don took another identity. Was there a specific reason?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:36 am

Snow Apple wrote:I love to hate Pete and sometimes I plain love him/want to nurture him. The nanny thing was too much for me, I'm pretending it didn't happen. No matter what the show is better with him and his Pete ways.

I am all excited by the idea of the teacher maybe getting psycho. She thinks she's so aware and above it all I'd like to see her be weak and insane.

I don't like the congressman!!! I want Betty to find someone else to run to if she's going to.

I can't remember if we know why Don took another identity. Was there a specific reason?

Job opportunities are slim for the bastard son of a hooker and an inbred Okie.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 am

Only 2 more episodes left!

I can't believe Don. He has the teacher waiting in his car (outside his home) while he spills the beans to Betty about his other identity. What a scoundrel! However, his character is just so complex - this is par for the course.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:42 pm

You were thinking scoundrel and I was thinking meanly of the teacher. I kept worrying her stupid ass would come in the house looking for Don. I was sooooooooo happy Don told Betty all and didn't lie. I'm hopeful it can maybe help them repair how wrong they've gotten.

That was not enough Joan! But her hitting Dr. Fucktard with the vase was awesome. And geez louise they've had us all up in Pete and Peggy's business for years and then suddenly they are bit players or not even there? Maybe Pete had a movie filming at the same time or something.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:36 am

Well Mad Men finally did the JFK episode. You knew they were creeping into that time frame and we'd see it sooner or later - how they all would react, where they all would be and what they would be doing, etc. I thought it was an extremely powerful episode - all the stories surrounding this tragedy were well executed. Great old TV footage of Cronkite, Lee Harvey Oswald, etc.

I was amused at how Sterling handled his daughter's wedding and the lack of attendees. I was even more amused when Sterling phoned Joan telling her his daughter was married and Joan simply replied "poor thing". :lol: Gotta love Joan. Well Betty doesn't love Don anymore, she told him so and now the Congressman wants to marry Betty and take her to see Singing in the Rain. Those poor kids. A broken home in the 60s was a rare thing.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 pm

When the show first started I used to wonder about the future JFK episode, then I forgot about it completely so I enjoyed that it was a complete surprise to me. I'd never seen that footage of Walter Cronkite getting choked up for a second, it made the whole episode that much more upsetting. That and when Betty freaked out after Oswald was shot. I never thought about how scary all that must have been for people. I just thought of it as sad. Mad Men is always teaching me stuff.

I was so annoyed that old dork wants to marry Betty. I mean geez they've had zero conversations. I guess we don't know what was in the letters, but whatever it's all ridiculous. So what Betty doesn't love Don. It is almost inevitable you'll have a period of falling out of love in a marriage, but you work through it and come out stronger on the other side, fucking work it out Drapers.

Those kids are already messed up having a hateful mom, but oh man in a divorce they'll be majorly screwed. They'll go with Betty and 1960s step dad. Then again, my grandpa was a 1960s step dad and he was the only one doling out love and hugs to any of the kids.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Snow Apple on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:12 pm

And I can't believe Sal is actually fired!!!! I am holding out hope both he and Joan will be back in the office. Don't we all wish that doctor will go to Vietnam and get killed?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Snow Apple wrote:fucking work it out Drapers.

:lol:

But don't we love to see their lives in constant turmoil? Hell, if I wanted to watch married bliss, I'd switch to TVLand and watch Brady Bunch reruns.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Snow Apple wrote:

I was so annoyed that old dork wants to marry Betty. I mean geez they've had zero conversations. I guess we don't know what was in the letters

In typical Mad Men fashion, they are leaving alot out in the storyline in regards to Betty and that old dork. We have to put the pieces of the puzzle together. If he wants to marry her, I'm guessing a helluva lot more has happened then what Mad Men has actually showed us.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:55 am

I guess I assumed since it's the early 1960's it's not totally odd that a man would propose to a beautiful, well-bred woman with very little knowledge (or care) of her personality and that she'd not think it insane that he asked. Hoping there was more in the letters was me trying to see things from a 2009 perspective. It would make it a whole lot more fun for me if it was typical Mad Men puzzle storytelling, but I'm not sure it is....which actually makes it fun so win-win I suppose. Geez I love this show.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ironical on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:54 am

This seaon finale knocked my sox off a little. In the lead up I was all, fuck these people but when Don was hugging his son i got all choked up!

I will say it's pretty stupid he wasn't allowed to stay in the house if Betty was going to leave to Reno for 6 weeks anyway?!?! Did I misunderstand that?
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:20 am

Loved it!!! So excited for next season. This finale makes me forgive some of the missteps this season.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:21 am

JOAN!!!!! We have her back. Now if only they got Sal in there. Did they bring Pete because of his accounts or because they think he's the best man for the job?????

I'm hoping those six weeks in Reno with dorkface have Betty rethinking it all. And yes it is totally stupid that Don couldn't stay in the house while she's gone for a month and a half! Maybe you just had to go, get an apartment, leave the light on and pay the utilities bill to prove residence so she'll only be away a few days?

I am so happy with how it ended. I could never have guessed. I really thought they might leave us on a somber note. It's so damn hopeful and excititng I feel inspired. I'm with you stereoforgeeks I forgive all...though seeing how it all wrapped up makes me question what I considered missteps.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:24 am

I really got a thrill out of Don saying Lord knows the kids would be better off with him. A dad that's full of love that isn't around much compared to an ever present mom that resents you?
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:38 am

Snow Apple wrote:JOAN!!!!! We have her back. Now if only they got Sal in there. Did they bring Pete because of his accounts or because they think he's the best man for the job?????

I'm hoping those six weeks in Reno with dorkface have Betty rethinking it all. And yes it is totally stupid that Don couldn't stay in the house while she's gone for a month and a half! Maybe you just had to go, get an apartment, leave the light on and pay the utilities bill to prove residence so she'll only be away a few days?

I am so happy with how it ended. I could never have guessed. I really thought they might leave us on a somber note. It's so damn hopeful and excititng I feel inspired. I'm with you stereoforgeeks I forgive all...though seeing how it all wrapped up makes me question what I considered missteps.

pete probably is the better person for the job because he'll do what needs to be done to get the sale. Sal probably wont be back because the new company will need American Tobacco and their 27mil.

I really hope betty takes nothiong from Don and then gets fucked over by the guy. That would be AWESOME.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ironical on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 pm

I hope Betty makes a stable home with boring/ugly guy and they all live happily ever after...

just kidding.. i hope she gets fucked over too!! (she will)

I also LOVED when Don said "lord knows they'd be better off"! Just makes me wanna smack him a little at the same time.. step up then Dick!
Ironical
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:07 pm

He does step up sometimes. He is a victim of the era for sure when it comes to being a father.

I think Betty sucks, but I've always felt sorry for her, I kinda don't want to see her get screwed over anymore. When that guy told her last year she was profoundly sad he was right. She used to be a little girl that dreamed of her rosy future, but how could she know the world was selling her a myth of motherhood and marriage? She's very pretty, never wanted for money and the world always treated her kind then slowly it unraveled and she doesn't have the skills to cope with her reality.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 pm

I guess this is a little late, I forgot about this thread. But yeah, that season finale was great. A great way to just clean house. They've obviously got all the characters I want still there, and they can now pick and choose which other ones to bring back and how. The office was getting a little bloated.

I actually think that Doctor husband of Joan's is kind of a sicko. Remember how he wouldn't fuck her except in Draper's office? That was wiggity wack. I'd be so much better to her. But I think she and Roger were really meant to be together.

As for Betty, I'm surprised at all the sympathy. I get what you guys are saying about how she was sold on a dream that she doesn't find satisfying in its day to day reality. But she really annoys the shit out of me. I think the writing and January Jones do a great job of making her a realistic character with all her anxiety attacks 'n shit, but I just can't stand her. And she's so cold with those kids.

I too am surprised to see Peggy getting pushed to the edges of the show.

Anyway, looking forward to a great fourth season.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 am

Well he raped her in Don's office. As I recall she had been too aggressive for him the night before then he saw something between her and Roger and he was like a silver back saying I'm boss or something. It sucked, I hated it.

I totally understand people writing Betty off as a cold bitch and not liking her. She is usually detached from basic human love and kindness. I just can't help but think about why she is and then get soft on her.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

When does the new (and possibly best) season of this start?

I heard it was soon. I need to know so I can tell my mum to record it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Maui on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 am

Spandau Belly wrote:When does the new (and possibly best) season of this start?

I heard it was soon. I need to know so I can tell my mum to record it.

July 25th. Can't happen soon enough - I've got my DVR primed. Unrelated, but True Blood starts up again in June. Woohoo!

P.S. While we're sorta on the subject of Mad Men, I saw that your redheaded gal, Hendricks, beat out Megan Fox for top spot on Esquire for World's Sexiest Woman. I saw some of the pics and they were stunning.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 am

Holy crap, is that true?

YES IT IS, she is the sexiest!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 am

i'd take Monica Belucci over her in a second....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Holy crap, is that true?

Me no lie.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

Maui wrote:

Me no lie.

so, it is infantile for men to stare at her breasts, but not infantile for her to have them hanging out all the time......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 am

Mad Men Season 4 poster revealed. Just about time for this fabulous show to start up again. July 25th - mark your calendars.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 am

July 25th is Christina Hendricks Day!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Peven wrote:
Maui wrote:

Me no lie.

so, it is infantile for men to stare at her breasts, but not infantile for her to have them hanging out all the time......

Most of the time I don't think she's trying to flaunt them, they are just hard to cover up. Clothing isn't made to cover the loveliness.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Maui on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Decent season 4 opener last night. It would appear that Betty's parenting skills have taken a nose dive since marrying the senator (not that they were that great before when she was married to Don). How long do you give this marriage? The mom-in-law already hates Betty, they are still living in Don's house, there's some bad ju ju right there. The two ladies fighting over ham storyline was funny. Sterling had some funny one-liners last night too. Some of you True Blood fans should have recognized Don's dinner date - psycho preacher wife from FoTS.

So glad this show has returned. My DVR is in overdrive on Sunday night, I'm surprised there isn't smoke coming out of it. Best night on TV.
Maui
WoWie

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 am

Maui wrote:Decent season 4 opener last night. It would appear that Betty's parenting skills have taken a nose dive since marrying the senator (not that they were that great before when she was married to Don). How long do you give this marriage? The mom-in-law already hates Betty, they are still living in Don's house, there's some bad ju ju right there. The two ladies fighting over ham storyline was funny. Sterling had some funny one-liners last night too. Some of you True Blood fans should have recognized Don's dinner date - psycho preacher wife from FoTS.

So glad this show has returned. My DVR is in overdrive on Sunday night, I'm surprised there isn't smoke coming out of it. Best night on TV.

Man Betty is more of a bitch than normal. Henry was actually good last night saying Don was correct. Don should just sell the house out from under them hahaha.

I too like Dons dinner date. I hope shes around more this season.

Don kicking the bikini people out was awesomely douchetastic but he was absolutely right.

Don is definitely in rough shape. "harder HARDER HARDER!" ahahaha
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:11 am

Maui wrote:So glad this show has returned. My DVR is in overdrive on Sunday night, I'm surprised there isn't smoke coming out of it. Best night on TV.

What other shows are on Sunday yo?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:13 am

Anybody else hoping that Don and the kids would walk into the garage only to find Betty and Henry ass naked and dead of carbon monoxide poisoning?

No? Only me?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:I too like Dons dinner date. I hope shes around more this season.

Anna Camp is a great actress. I loved her on TB and she seems even more charming on MM. IMDB has her listed for 2 episodes so far.

Ribbons wrote:
What other shows are on Sunday yo?

Hung
True Blood
Rubicon (which starts next Sunday)

:mrgreen:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:What other shows are on Sunday yo?

Hung
True Blood

For some reason True Blood being on Sunday totally slipped my mind. But yeah, that is a lot of shows.

*crawls back under rock*
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Maui wrote:
Ribbons wrote:What other shows are on Sunday yo?

Hung
True Blood

For some reason True Blood being on Sunday totally slipped my mind. But yeah, that is a lot of shows.

*crawls back under rock*

You forgot crappy ass Entourage, which I watch for god knows what reason now.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial