SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% More SyFy)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 pm

MEGA PYTHON vs. GATOROID

this is the long-awaited, much anticipated syfy nytwyrk movie featuring TIFFANY and DEBBIE GIBSON. directed by mary lambert, who previously directed pet sematary and a bunch of other crap. despite that impressive collection of talent, i'm sad to say, the film does not really rise above the level of the typical syfy chynnyl crapfest. it's got all the hallmarks of one of their films: poor acting, ridiculously bad cgi, no discernible story or plot that makes sense, and overall cheesy quality. that said, the presence of TIFFANY and DEBBIE GIBSON does raise the bar somewhat. at least the film knows that it's only justification for existing in the first place is to put these two former celebrities together. so we get plenty of scenes of them calling each other bitch and getting into a food fight (that sadly does not turn into a mud-wrestling or oil wrestling fight, though judging by tiffany's looks these days, not so sure i would've wanted to see that anyway). and they both get grisly death scenes.... wow, did i just actually spoiler tag something from this movie?

of course, the real question is, how did these two former pop idols turn out. in tiffany's case, as i mentioned, not so great. though to be fair, both of these chicks are in their 40s now, so they don't look too bad all considering. tiffany has obviously, um, filled out a bit, which is good in some places, not so good in others. she's also had botox and collagen lip injections and it shows, but probably the most freakish thing to me were her eyebrows, they're gone, replaced by tiny drawn on things that make her look like one of those little old ladies who paints their eyebrows on. debbie gibson turned out a bit better, except she's too bony. and as someone who generally prefers girls on the thinner side, if I'M saying she's bony, then she's WAY too thin. she looks like she's been doing the madonna workout program or something, maybe not quite as extreme as madonna, but close. at least her face looks relatively normal though.

besides that, the film has micky dolenz of the monkees in a brief cameo. whats wrong, syfy? couldn't afford weird al?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% More SyFy)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:28 pm

From THR:
'Avengers' Writer Zak Penn: Superhero TV Shows Have Trouble Sticking
Philiana Ng wrote:Zak Penn is well aware of the trouble superheroes have on TV.

With shows like The Cape, No Ordinary Family and Heroes all failing to lure in viewers, the pressure is on to right the ship.

That’s why The Avengers writer says his latest effort, Syfy’s scripted series Alphas won’t be another superhero show. “It’s not people dressing up in costumes and fighting crime. It’s really more about superhumans who have extraordinary abilities,” he told reporters at NBCU’s summer press day in Pasadena.

Penn discussed the differences writing comic book-inspired films versus doing TV, and one got the sense he preferred the latter.

“When you start to talk about, ‘What’s it like before the X-Men get on the plane? Do people have to go to the bathroom? How do they go to the bathroom in those costumes?,’ ” he said. “Those were questions that were not really up for discussion when you do an X-Men movie or any of those movies. Believe it or not, that was very important to me going [forward with the] show.”

Alphas, which stars Oscar nominee David Strathairn, revolves around five ordinary people who become one extraordinary team with powers. The long-gestating procedural thriller begins production May 2.

A veteran of stage and film, Strathairn — playing the powerless Dr. Lee Rosen — said television “offers something particular in a way the characters can be explored,” adding that he believes Alphas stands out because of its unique subject matter: “It’s about things I think are really yet to be mined in our dramatic literature.”

Penn noted that there is a character in the show, played by actor Ryan Cartwright, who will suffer from Asperger’s as a consequence to having his superpower.

Alphas premieres Monday, July 11 at 10 p.m.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:31 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
Syfy Developing Series About Harry Houdini And Arthur Conan Doyle Solving Mysteries
Nellie Andreeva wrote:Just the other day, Mike Fleming reported on DreamWorks acquiring Voices from the Dead, an original script by Changeling and Thor scribe J. Michael Straczynski. Based on the real-life friendship between magician Harry Houdini and mystery author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, it is a fictional account of how they teamed up with a psychic to solve bizarre murders in 1920s New York.

Independently, Syfy had been negotiating for Among the Spirits, a drama series project about Houdini and Doyle solving mysteries in 1920s, with the deal closing at the very time the feature announcement was coming out. "I guess there is something in the air about that whole time period and that very interesting relationship between Houdini and Doyle," said Syfy's president of original programming Mark Stern. (Both Syfy brass and the producers of Among the Spirits first heard about Voices from the Dead from reading our story.) Among the Spirits, named after Houdini's book A Magician Among the Spirits published in 1924, is based on self-published graphic novel Among the Spirits by writers Steve Valentine and Paul Chart. Stern describes the project, which is being put in development, as "a turn-of-the-century Fringe." It will be in the vein of steampunk TV classic The Wild Wild West and Guy Ritchie's 2009 movie Sherlock Homes which put the steampunk genre back into the zeitgeist. It will center on Houdini and Doyle who, with the help of a female cop, try to solve bizarre murders and strange occurrences that look like hauntings and other supernatural events using steampunk technology. "We have Houdini, who was the ultimate illusionist and was all about creating illusions, and Dolyle, who was all about getting to the truth underneath - the pragmatist and the dreamer - set against that 1920s world of America where technology is just starting to grow." Entertainment One, which produces Haven for Syfy, is behind Among the Spirits, with Chart and Valentine writing as well as producing with Daniel J. Frey.

Among the Spirits is not the only period mystery series project in the works involving real historic figures. ABC gave a pilot order to Poe, a crime procedural following Edgar Allan Poe, the world's very first detective, as he uses unconventional methods to investigate dark mysteries in 1840s Boston.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 am

TheButcher wrote:From THR:
'Avengers' Writer Zak Penn: Superhero TV Shows Have Trouble Sticking
Philiana Ng wrote:Zak Penn is well aware of the trouble superheroes have on TV.

With shows like The Cape, No Ordinary Family and Heroes all failing to lure in viewers, the pressure is on to right the ship.

That’s why The Avengers writer says his latest effort, Syfy’s scripted series Alphas won’t be another superhero show. “It’s not people dressing up in costumes and fighting crime. It’s really more about superhumans who have extraordinary abilities,” he told reporters at NBCU’s summer press day in Pasadena.

you mean like Heroes? and the 4400? and No Ordinary Family? (actually, i never watched NOF, but i got the impression they didn't dress up in costumes and fight crime either). it's funny to hear someone describe how original and different their show is from the other superhero shows, and the describe it in pretty much THE EXACT SAME WAY as those other shows.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Yeah, as far as I know The Cape is the only superhero show that HAS had a conventional "superhero" in it. Also the old comic book shows like Wonder Woman.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:29 am

Bryan Singer To Produce Modern Monster Drama Project For Syfy
Nellie Andreeva wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Syfy has teamed up with X-Men director Bryan Singer and his Bad Hat Harry Prods. (House) for Creature At Bay, a drama series project, which will be developed as a 90-minute pilot script. It will be written by John Cabrera, co-creator of Warner Bros.’ award winning sci-fi digital series H+, also produced by Bryan Singer. Creature At Bay is set in the wake of the US military taking down a giant, rampant creature — a modern-day “Kaiju” monster – just off the Northern California coast. A middle-management Undersecretary from the California Emergency Management Agency is charged with leading the clean-up efforts as the small town becomes the focus of the entire world. Universal Cable Prods. is producing, with Singer and Bad Hat’s Jason Taylor executive producing and John Cabrera co-executive producing. WME-repped Bad Hat Harry Prods. also has ABC’s straight-to-series The Black Box, and a Twilight Zone reboot in development at CBS TV Studios. H+ is in pre-production on a second season.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% More Monkeys)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:45 am

12 Monkeys Gets 12-Episode Pick Up From Syfy
We're getting a full season of the new 12 Monkeys TV series from Syfy, which will help push the channel's slate of original scripted series forward (especially since we're losing Warehouse 13 and Being Human this year).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% More Monkeys)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:38 am

TheButcher wrote:12 Monkeys Gets 12-Episode Pick Up From Syfy
We're getting a full season of the new 12 Monkeys TV series from Syfy, which will help push the channel's slate of original scripted series forward (especially since we're losing Warehouse 13 and Being Human this year).

soooooo..... one monkey per episode? or will they string us along with 1-2 monkeys the whole season, only to drop a whole barrel of monkeys on us in the finale?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 am

TheBaxter wrote:

soooooo..... one monkey per episode? or will they string us along with 1-2 monkeys the whole season, only to drop a whole barrel of monkeys on us in the finale?

I think the bulk of the series will be about the characters talking about the imminent arrival of the monkeys, but there won't be any actual monkeys until late in the show.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

I think the bulk of the series will be about the characters talking about the imminent arrival of the monkeys, but there won't be any actual monkeys until late in the show.

but in a shocking twist in the season finale, it will turn out that they're not monkeys after all, but lemurs. the show will become so popular that the showrunners keep dragging out the reveal of the actual monkeys until season 7, alienating a large portion of their fanbase who, impatient with the dithering and delays, start an internet campaign using the slogan "Show Me the Monkey".
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

Syfy Orders Space Opera 'The Expanse' to Series
Lesley Goldberg wrote:Syfy is continuing to reinvent itself, handing out another straight-to-series order for a space odyssey based on the best-selling book series The Expanse.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has picked up 10 episodes of The Expanse, based on James S.A. Corey's book series that includes the well-known Leviathan Wakes.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Syfy Orders 'Olympus' Mythological Drama Series (Exclusive)
The 13-episode effort from the team behind "Alice" and "Neverland" heads into production this summer for a 2015 bow.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 am

Syfy Is Finally Embracing Sci-Fi Again (Opinion)
The network's recently unveiled development slate is stuffed with the kind of genre entertainment -- space operas, time travel, urban magic -- it has forsaken for so long.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Lev Grossman’s The Magicians

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 am

The Mary Sue:
Lev Grossman’s The Magicians and the Mainstreaming of Fan Culture
Sarah Arboleda wrote:A few weeks ago, the Syfy network announced their plans to adapt Lev Grossman’s fantasy trilogy, The Magicians, into an hourlong drama series. The small handful of blogs and online news outlets who covered the story labelled the project “Harry Potter for adults,” or else slapped it with a somewhat derisive-sounding “Young Adult fantasy” label. On the surface, it’s easy to see how people can mistake The Magicians for any number of other “young people discovering they’re mystically special” narrative, but it’s a description that is, nevertheless, inaccurate.

Now I’m not crazy. I know a story about a group of young adults who attend a magic school and then go traipsing around an alternate universe which can be accessed via an interstitial forest sounds a lot like “Harry Potter/Narnia for adults.” But what that description betrays is a failure to understand that Grossman’s series isn’t a rip-off of either story, but is instead something newer and stranger than that.

I’d argue the books are better described as a fanfiction composed of nothing but Mary Sues and Gary Stus. Where the Gary Stu narrative would feature the author’s fictional surrogate gatecrashing Hogwarts, making out with Hermione and winning the Quidditch cup, Grossman instead constructs The Magicians as a wish fulfillment theme park for his lead character, Quentin Coldwater, with two main attractions: Brakebills and Fillory.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% 12 Monkeys)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:26 am

io9:
We've Glimpsed Syfy's "Mad Men In Space" Show Ascension And 12 Monkeys!

io9:
The First Look at Syfy's 12 Monkeys Is Appropriately Weird
Katharine Trendacosta wrote:Syfy's new trailer (using the advertising song of the summer, the Kongos' "Come With Me Now") covers pretty much all of their shows: Defiance, Haven, Dominion, etc. But sandwiched right in the middle are a few seconds of the upcoming tv version of Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:34 pm

12 Monkeys trailer. Not very Gilliam-esque. Still looks interesting, but me and time-travel plots don't mix well, so I'm not sure I could stick with this show.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm

The Talkback is just ripping it to shreds - along the lines of "It's not the movie so it automatically sucks!"

I don't want to see the movie again. I saw it. I loved it. I will always love it. If they're going to do something with the property, I'd rather see something new - like Fargo.
I'll definitely give it a shot.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm

it does look interesting. i feel though like this is the kind of tv show that is destined to either a) get cancelled early and leave you hanging or b) become popular enough that they have to keep dragging it out season after season, becoming more and more convoluted. to work as a show it's got to veer off from where the movie went, but how far can you take it without becoming eventually ridiculous?

it would be great if they could take the fargo approach, and wrap it up in a single season, but this is Syfy. that's just not going to happen. i like the looks of the cast, but i don't know that i trusty syfy to handle this responsibly, and it will probably end up as a frustrating show one way or another.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Arrgh. I've wanted to see this adapted for decades, but not by the Syfy Channel! :shock:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:10 am

Syfy's 12 Monkeys Immediately Distinguishes Itself from the 1995 Film
Katharine Trendacosta wrote:Last night, we caught an early screening of the pilot of Syfy's new series 12 Monkeys. And while it's clearly based on Terry Gilliam's original film of the same name, it takes great pains to set itself apart. Here are our spoiler-free first impressions.

In a way, it's almost a shame that the show's going to have all the baggage of the film to deal with. The original 12 Monkeys is a twisting time travel tale with some huge plot twists that propel it forward, great performances, and shots that should be iconic. That's a lot to compete with. From what we saw, the show deals with it all by keeping the bare bones of the plot, but changing as much else as they can.

In a way, the pilot of 12 Monkeys feels like the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica: it's picked and chosen what it wanted from the original, and anchored the rest in character and a gritty, hyper-realistic vision of the future.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:35 am

THE MAGICIANS Casting Is Underway
We've got our Eliot, our Penny and - most excitingly - our Julia. No Quentin yet, however.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:50 am

Check Out This Diagram Of Ascension's Huge Generation Ship
Here's a peek at the internals of the gigantic, titular spaceship from Syfy's new retro space drama, Ascension.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:54 am

Melissa O'Neil, Marc Bendavid Board Syfy's 'Dark Matter'
Etan Vlessing wrote:In Dark Matter, the crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Syfy's '12 Monkeys' Renewed for Season 2 With New Showrunners
Showrunner Natalie Chaidez will exit for the network's 'Hunters.'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Lev Grossman’s The Magicians

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:15 am

Syfy’s ‘The Magicians’ Trailer Shows a Whole New Side of Magic
Variety has an exclusive first look at the full trailer that just debuted at New York Comic-Con!

Syfy’s ‘The Magicians’ aka 'Max Fischer Does Magic'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 12, 2016 6:00 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% KRYPTUN)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 pm

First ‘Krypton’ Trailer Reveals Syfy’s Superman Prequel Series
The promo snuck online today before what was likely its planned debut.
CBM:
KRYPTUN: First Trailer For Syfy's Upcoming Superman Prequel Series Introduces Kal-El's Grandfather
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SCI-FI SUCKS! (Now w/ 100% More Reboot!)

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Deadline May 11, 2017:
Syfy Picks Up Superman Prequel ‘Krypton’ & ‘Happy!’ To Series; Developing George R.R. Martin’s ‘Nightflyers’
Nellie Andreeva wrote:Syfy has picked up David S. Goyer’s Superman prequel Krypton and Happy! a graphic novel adaptation starring Christopher Meloni, to series. In addition, the network has put in development a supernatural thriller based on George R.R. Martin’s (Game of Thrones) novella Nightflyers. This is one of two Martin literary properties that had been optioned by Syfy sibling Universal Cable Prods. for TV series, along with Wild Cards. Martin is not involved in the projects as he is under an exclusive deal at HBO.

Krypton and Happy!, which I hear would undergo some recasting, are two of the four pilots from Syfy’s most recent pilot cycle. Of the other two, The Machine is still going through testing and evaluations while The Haunted is not going forward.

Going forward, Syfy plans to grow its original series programming in four sub-genres:

1. Core sci-fi programming, exemplified by the well received The Expanse;

2. Young adult fantasy fare in the model of hit The Magicians, whose ratings grew in Season 2;

3. Paranormal/supernatural with tinge of horror in the vein of Channel Zero. Syfy and USA Network recently announced The Purge TV series with Blumhouse based on the popular horror franchise, which will air on both networks;

4. Superhero/comic book-based series like the newly picked up Krypton and Happy!

Based on DC characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Krypton is set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet. It follows Superman’s grandfather (Cameron Cuffe) — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos. Georgina Campbell, Elliot Cowan, Ann Ogbomo, Rasmus Hardiker, Wallis Day, Aaron Pierre also star, along with Ian McElhinney.

Krypton hails from Warner Horizon Scripted Television and is executive produced by Goyer through his Phantom Four banner. Damian Kindler will serve as executive producer and showrunner.

The pilot teleplay was written by Goyer and Kindler, from a story by Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time) & Goyer, with Colm McCarthy serving as director and co-executive producer.

Based on Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson’s graphic novel, Happy!, from Universal Cable Productions, follows Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni) – an intoxicated, corrupt ex-cop turned hit man – who is adrift in a world of casual murder, soulless sex and betrayal. After a hit gone wrong, his inebriated life is forever changed by a tiny, relentlessly positive, imaginary blue winged horse named “Happy” (Bobby Moynihan).

Morrison and Brian Taylor (Crank, Gamer) co-wrote the pilot teleplay and executive produce. Neal Moritz, Pavun Shetty and Toby Jaffe of Original Film, Meloni and showrunner Patrick Macmanus will also executive produce. Taylor directed the pilot.

Nightflyers, based on Martin’s epic novel, is set in the future on the eve of Earth’s destruction, when a crew of explorers journey on the most advanced ship in the galaxy, The Nightflyer, to intercept a mysterious alien spacecraft that might hold the key to their survival. As the crew nears their destination, they discover that the ship’s artificial intelligence and never-seen captain may be steering them into deadly and unspeakable horrors deep in the dark reaches of space. (you can watch a trailer for the book below)

Nightflyers is being developed with executive producers Gene Klein (Suits), David Bartis (Mr. and Mrs. Smith) and Doug Liman (Suits) of Hypnotic; Alison Rosenzweig (Jacob’s Ladder, Windtalkers) and Michael Gaeta (Jacob’s Ladder) of Gaeta Rosenzweig Films; Lloyd Ivan Miller and Alice P. Neuhauser of Lloyd Ivan Miller Productions and Jeff Buhler (Jacob’s Ladder), who will write the adaptation. Robert Jaffe (Nightflyers (1987)) will produce. Universal Cable Productions is the studio.

“Syfy is partnering with the biggest names in the business to tell the boldest stories in the sci-fi world, and I can’t think of any bigger and bolder than Krypton, Happy! and Nightflyers,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment.

Nightflyers, joins previously announced series in the works Brave New World, Hyperion and Stranger In a Strange Land.

George R.R. Martin Novella 'Nightflyers' Headed for TV on Syfy
The 'Game of Thrones' creator is teaming with writer Jeff Buhler to develop the drama for the small screen.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Lev Grossman’s The Magicians

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 11, 2017 3:27 pm

io9 4/20/17:
The Magicians' Finale Was So Amazing Season Three Seems Way Too Far Away
Beth Elderkin wrote:Damn, it didn’t seem like Syfy’s The Magicians could out-do last year’s chilling and intense season finale, but by the gods they managed it! In the words of Penny’s favorite singer, Taylor Swift: “Everything has changed.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Coaxial