Real Time With Bill Maher

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:53 pm

fluffity fluff

EDIT: Welcome to Page 4!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:57 pm

minstrel wrote:Carvey was embarrassing on the show.

One comedian who did well on the show was Garry Shandling. He was funny while being engaged with the issues.

Shandling and Penn were giggling like a couple of stoned schoolboys. Great episode.
HBO needs more Shandling.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Fievel wrote:

One comedian who did well on the show was Garry Shandling. He was funny while being engaged with the issues.

Shandling and Penn were giggling like a couple of stoned schoolboys. Great episode.

DANG!!! Missed this one too!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:55 pm

Okay, Martin Short was much better than I remember him being the last time he was on. By the look he gave Maher, he doesn't take kindly to "your wife" jokes.... but then goes on with the faux flirtation with the girl... mmmkay.

Valerie Plame & her husband were great guests as well. Her book is something I may consider reading, although I don't know if I want to buy a book that has that much blacked out! :shock:

I want to read that Blackwater book. That sounds like some EXTREMELY scary shit that I honestly don't know if I'm ready to hear right now. Sure, everyone knows Blackwater is one fucked up reality of an organization.... but hearing a little background really made my eyes cross.
It makes Orson Scott Card's book "Empire" seem like a plausible reality.

Next week's season finale (NOOOOOOOOO!!!!) has some old favorites: Ben Affleck, George Carlin, Tom Brokaw.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:11 pm

CARLIN! I am THERE!!!!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:42 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:CARLIN! I am THERE!!!!

I love Carlin... but last time he was on there he had drank a large goblet of SOFUCKINGPISSEDATTHEWORLD that he was almost unbearable. Smoke a joint or something George... don't be so pissed this time.

Affleck is great on the show, too. He always surprises me when he's on there.

Now.. if Brokaw's a panelist and not just an interview, that could be awesome. I'd love to see Brokaw Uncensored.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:05 pm

Fievel wrote:Okay, Martin Short was much better than I remember him being the last time he was on. By the look he gave Maher, he doesn't take kindly to "your wife" jokes.... but then goes on with the faux flirtation with the girl... mmmkay.

Valerie Plame & her husband were great guests as well. Her book is something I may consider reading, although I don't know if I want to buy a book that has that much blacked out! :shock:

I want to read that Blackwater book. That sounds like some EXTREMELY scary shit that I honestly don't know if I'm ready to hear right now. Sure, everyone knows Blackwater is one fucked up reality of an organization.... but hearing a little background really made my eyes cross.
It makes Orson Scott Card's book "Empire" seem like a plausible reality.

Next week's season finale (NOOOOOOOOO!!!!) has some old favorites: Ben Affleck, George Carlin, Tom Brokaw.

Missed it on Friday, Fievel. Will catch it tomorrow night!

Season finale already???? :(

Cool to see the old favourites: Carlin and Brokaw. Never heard Affleck talk re. politics, will prove interesting.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Maui wrote:Missed it on Friday, Fievel. Will catch it tomorrow night!

Cool to see the old favourites: Carlin and Brokaw. Never heard Affleck talk re. politics, will prove interesting.

Affleck is really quite impressive on the show. You never once think of the following: J-Lo, Gigli, Forces Of Nature, Jersey Girl, Phantoms (although, he was the bomb), Surviving Christmas, Reindeer Games, the theatrical cut of Daredevil, Bounce, or even Pearl Harbor.
Actually, he is extremely articulate and apparently fairly well-educated on current events in the world. The way he talks almost makes me think "Future candidate for something?". Shit.... I'd vote for O'Bannon.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:14 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:Missed it on Friday, Fievel. Will catch it tomorrow night!

Affleck is really quite impressive on the show. You never once think of the following: J-Lo, Gigli, Forces Of Nature, Jersey Girl, Phantoms (although, he was the bomb), Surviving Christmas, Reindeer Games, the theatrical cut of Daredevil, Bounce, or even Pearl Harbor.
Actually, he is extremely articulate and apparently fairly well-educated on current events in the world. The way he talks almost makes me think "Future candidate for something?". Shit.... I'd vote for O'Bannon.

hahahah, Gigli!

Well, he's good at a few things then: politics and gambling. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:17 pm

Maui wrote:Cool to see the old favourites: Carlin and Brokaw. Never heard Affleck talk re. politics, will prove interesting.

Affleck is actually a very smart and well-informed guy. I was impressed last time I saw him on the show.

I think he'd be a better politician than an actor. Unlike Fred Thompson.
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:17 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote: Missed it on Friday, Fievel. Will catch it tomorrow night!

hahahah, Gigli!

And writing Oscar-Winning Screenplays...... still waiting for that second one, boys.... (I stole that line, and I can't remember where from).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Fievel wrote:
And writing Oscar-Winning Screenplays...... still waiting for that second one, boys.... (I stole that line, and I can't remember where from).

I still think Damon did all the work ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote: Missed it on Friday, Fievel. Will catch it tomorrow night!

hahahah, Gigli!

Well, he co wrote Gone Baby Gone, and thats been very well received.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:58 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:

So Ben's the girl in the relationship?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MacCready on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:02 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:

So Ben's the girl in the relationship?

Judging by Gigli.....
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Seriously, from what I hear it was Damon's idea, and he only brought Affleck in to help when he got stuck.
minstrel

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 pm

minstrel wrote:
Maui wrote:
Fieve l wrote:

Seriously, from what I hear it was Damon's idea, and he only brought Affleck in to help when he got stuck.

I thought so too Squirrelly, I was only 1/2 joking with my winky.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Are any seasons of Maher's show available on DVD?

Why dont I just step out the side door and look for myself, you lazy bastard.

Okay.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Maui on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Don't know about DVDs Vic, but I sure would like to read one of his books.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 pm

SONOFABITCH!!!!!!

No one is safe from the strike.

This week, catch an encore of the talked about episode with Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), Chris Matthews, Joel Stein, John Edwards and Garry Kasparov. Check the HBO Schedule for details.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Fievel wrote:SONOFABITCH!!!!!!

No one is safe from the strike.

This week, catch an encore of the talked about episode with Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), Chris Matthews, Joel Stein, John Edwards and Garry Kasparov. Check the HBO Schedule for details.

It was a good episode! I'm going to watch just for Garry Kasparov again.
minstrel

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:39 am

Fievel wrote:

This repeat performance was on tonight Fievel! Hilarious! Loved Shandling and Penn. The other guy - he just continually skirted around the questions Bill posed to him.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:09 am

Oh and another thing - Tommy Thompson's hearing aid fell out? Shandling was right.

Did any of you buy that? Pile of malarkey.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:43 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:
minstre l wrote:Carvey was embarrassing on the show.

This repeat performance was on tonight Fievel! Hilarious! Loved Shandling and Penn. The other guy - he just continually skirted around the questions Bill posed to him.

Weren't they freaking hilarious? I want to hang out with Shandling, Penn, and Maher together.

I kept waiting for Sean Penn to start yelling at Shandling - "Stop it! I need to be stoic you funny, giggling Struggling Background Artist!"
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:56 pm

Fievel wrote:
Weren't they freaking hilarious? I want to hang out with Shandling, Penn, and Maher together.

I kept waiting for Sean Penn to start yelling at Shandling - "Stop it! I need to be stoic you funny, giggling Struggling Background Artist!"

Yes they most definitely were hilarious. I laughed the entire time the panel was talking.

2nd home in Iraq? :lol:

Shandling and Penn definitely speak from the heart and are both very well informed in the political arena, Penn a tad more then Shandling.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Holy Shit!!!

Real Time is (supposedly) back tonight!!!!!!!!
If it is, in fact, back then I'm assuming there'll be no New Rules.

John Cleese (SWEEEET!), P.J. O'Rourke, Tony Snow are the listed guests.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Fievel wrote:Holy Shit!!!

Real Time is (supposedly) back tonight!!!!!!!!
If it is, in fact, back then I'm assuming there'll be no New Rules.

John Cleese (SWEEEET!), P.J. O'Rourke, Tony Snow are the listed guests.

Cool beans!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:58 am

Ahhhhhhhh. so good to have Bill back. I did the new set. It's nothing major, but I like it. I also liked the guy from Rolling Stone being there. Even though he got "cute" with Tony Snow, I thought he said good things.
"Blogga Please"!?!?!?!? Bill please.

What was most interesting about the whole show was Bill very quietly (almost emotionally) speaking out against the Writer's Strike at the end. Hearing him throw around words like "witch-hunt" made me realize I have no real idea how that strike is affecting people in "the business".

I guess no more New Rules until the writers come back.
The opening monologue could use some writers too, although I howled at his snipe at Hillary's finding of her voice after being in politics for 35 years (there's a medical term for this - SLOW LEARNER).

Oh, also bummed that John Cleese wasn't on after all. I guess he's a strike casualty.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:03 am

Fievel wrote:Ahhhhhhhh. so good to have Bill back. I did the new set. It's nothing major, but I like it. I also liked the guy from Rolling Stone being there. Even though he got "cute" with Tony Snow, I thought he said good things.

What was most interesting about the whole show was Bill very quietly (almost emotionally) speaking out against the Writer's Strike at the end. Hearing him throw around words like "witch-hunt" made me realize I have no real idea how that strike is affecting people in "the business".

The opening monologue could use some writers too, although I howled at his snipe at Hillary's finding of her voice after being in politics for 35 years (there's a medical term for this - SLOW LEARNER).

Oh, also bummed that John Cleese wasn't on after all. I guess he's a strike casualty.

I think they repeat this on Monday, right? I missed it tonight.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:07 am

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:Ahhhhhhhh. so good to have Bill back. I did the new set. It's nothing major, but I like it. I also liked the guy from Rolling Stone being there. Even though he got "cute" with Tony Snow, I thought he said good things.

I think they repeat this on Monday, right? I missed it tonight.

They repeat it a LOT.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:15 pm

Fievel wrote:
They repeat it a LOT.

Okee dokie! Merci beaucoup!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:
They repeat it a LOT.

Okee dokie! Merci beaucoup!

No problem! Mercy beaubridges!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 pm

Fievel wrote:No problem! Mercy beaubridges!

I always say Mercy Buckets - but noone ever understands me. I somehow think you would.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:59 pm

Bill Maher was on Jay Leno earlier this week, and some guy in the audience started shouting out about "Let Dennis debate!" at the very beginning of his interview.

i was really disappointed that bill didn't go out into the audience and kick his ass like he does on his own show.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Perhaps he was hoping Leno would have the balls to launch a Flying Chin Drop on the douche.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:14 pm

VIDEO!

And for the 3rd time (reposted from The GOD thread and Presidential election thread):

Bill Maher Discusses Romney and Religion on Conan O'Brien
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:21 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:VIDEO!

And for the 3rd time (reposted from The GOD thread and Presidential election thread):

Oh my friggin' BALLS!!!
Leno is such a fucking anti-conflict pussy.

What? Someone's protesting my bosses?!?!? CUT TO COMMERCIAL!!!!!

He needs to remove himself from television.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:42 am

Fievel wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:VIDEO!

Oh my friggin' BALLS!!!
Leno is such a fucking anti-conflict pussy.

What? Someone's protesting my bosses?!?!? CUT TO COMMERCIAL!!!!!

He needs to remove himself from television.

Well, yeah. I mean we ARE talking about Jay Leno.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:51 am

mini-tirade/rant/digression/threadjack:

jay leno is an ass. a smug, self-serving, arrogant ass. i can respect him for being somewhat funny as a stand-up, and a really hard-working guy, but he's still an ass. i keep hoping and hoping that his behavior during the writing strike would finally show him for the ass he is, but alas, no one seems to care. didn't bother to pay his non-writing staff during the 2 months they weren't working, until he found out letterman and all the other hosts were doing it, so he was forced to do it too to avoid the bad publicity. then when he goes back on the air, without his writers, he still writes his own monologue, in violation of his WGA membership. and you can go back to the "guest wars" he fought with arsenio and dennis miller, trying to force them off the air by keeping the a-list guests from going on those shows. and yet, somehow, he has a reputation as a "nice guy." on top of that, the tonight show sucks with him as host. it should've been letterman all along. at least he'll be gone in another year or so, and conan will take over, and the show can have a chance of being funny again. that's some consolation i guess.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:48 am

Dan Savage's little segment with Mike Huckabee and the Southern Carolina folk was rather hilarious!! Gotta love those Bible Belt states!! :roll:

Good show tonight!!! Except for Trace Adkins - zzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Hughley was rather informative and knowledgeable.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Maui wrote:Dan Savage's little segment with Mike Huckabee and the Southern Carolina folk was rather hilarious!! Gotta love those Bible Belt states!! :roll:

Good show tonight!!! Except for Trace Adkins - zzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Hughley was rather informative and knowledgeable.

Fully agree on all of this.
Dan Savage was hilarious!!! I thoroughly enjoyed his segment. Bill's bit at the mall was good, too. Watching a young African American girl giggle when Bill suggests an Obama political ad with "black ass all over the screen" made my day.

The initial guest (whose name completely escapes me) was good. I enjoyed hearing that region's perspective on thing in "real people" language, and not in typical media jargon. I thought him sniping Bill was funny, too.

I miss the New Rules, but so far the show is just as good, if not better, than before.

I knew Bill would have a field day with Huckabee's comments the previous week and he didn't disappoint. Thanks, Bill!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:26 pm

Yeah, the New Rules are really a great part of the show.

I just found that Adkins would say something rather insignificant - Bill would look at him with a rather questionable glance - then I would crack up. As if you knew what Bill was thinking. DUH!

Maher makes no bones about his political leanings. I'd likely lean the same way if I could vote in the USA. I just never like any of the candidates they have. It's like you are voting more for the team representing the leader - then the ding-a-ling at center stage.

LOVE MAHER!!! New set looks great, as does Maher in his dark suit and slick hair!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Thank you, Trace Adkins, for proving every stereotype of the dumb redneck country singer to me beyond any shadow of a doubt. What an ignorant, closed-minded tool that guy is. What the fuck kind of a book did that dummy write, anyway?

DL Hughley was spot-on about a lot of stuff in this episode. I agreed with him more than I did with Maher most of the time. I think he and Dan Savage should get their own show.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:28 am

Zarles wrote:Thank you, Trace Adkins, for proving every stereotype of the dumb redneck country singer to me beyond any shadow of a doubt. What an ignorant, closed-minded tool that guy is. What the fuck kind of a book did that dummy write, anyway?

DL Hughley was spot-on about a lot of stuff in this episode. I agreed with him more than I did with Maher most of the time. I think he and Dan Savage should get their own show.

I replayed the Dan Savage stuff for my wife (Real Time is past her bed time). Seriously, I hope that guy becomes a staple on the show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:32 am

Fievel wrote:
Zarles wrote:Thank you, Trace Adkins, for proving every stereotype of the dumb redneck country singer to me beyond any shadow of a doubt. What an ignorant, closed-minded tool that guy is. What the fuck kind of a book did that dummy write, anyway?

I replayed the Dan Savage stuff for my wife (Real Time is past her bed time). Seriously, I hope that guy becomes a staple on the show.

Dan Savage was hilarious. He needs to be a permanent fixture on that show!!

The uncomfortable dead silence after every statement Adkins uttered :roll: Just stick to the cheesy country bumpkin songs, would ya.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:43 am

I dunno, I just saw Savage doing what Maher did at the mall, but without Maher's cutting wit. I was disappointed that his bible facts were as erroneous as the hicks he was grilling. I prefer how Maher's criticisms are specific to who he's talking to and not a bunch of cliche sound bites. DL was hilarious though, and the redneck was great tension relief. What do you think hillbilly? "dur".
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:19 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I dunno, I just saw Savage doing what Maher did at the mall, but without Maher's cutting wit.

Maher's dripping sarcasm would have been even more hilarious but I still chuckled at Savage!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 am

Just watched the ep with Tony Snow, former White House press secretary. What a deluded fuckwit that guy is. No wonder he was the press secretary - the only things that came out of his mouth were soundbites.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am

BELZER!!!!!

Fuck I love it when he's on this show.
I think my dream show here would be Belzer, George Carlin, and Alec Baldwin.

Okay, the CNN woman's report from the hair salon....
When I, as a 32 year old white male from Michigan, hear (what appeared to be) a 30-something black woman from California talking about taking race off the table and uttering the quote "Let's just be people".....I honestly want to start crying as I actually see hope in this world. Fuck! That quote - "Let's just be people"... it's so naively optimistic... and everything I'd hope for the world that my children will grow up in.... and to hear it uttered from someone who is different from me in every possible way.... fucking beautiful. That's something I wish would be aired on network news so that a large audience could see.

Merle..... MERLE!!!!!
Satellite feed my ass... Merle likely wouldn't put the bong down!!!

He outed Hillary as being around marijuana!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!!
Fuck yeah!

Aside from that, his botched interview was hilarious.

p.s. Herbie...... "Headhunters" is one of my all-time favorite albums, but until you can speak without sounding so nervous, stay behind the keyboards. You had some great points, but they just didn't come out right.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 am

I found Belzer kind of annoying. He had some interesting stuff to say, but he kept yelling over people and interrupting. When exactly did he become a 'Conspiracy Theorist'? Is that what he was trying to convey with his Men In Black outfit? He looked like Tommy Lee Jones' annoying little brother.

Not the best of episodes. Merle looked like he didn't know where the hell he was.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial