Real Time With Bill Maher

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Zarles wrote:I found Belzer kind of annoying. He had some interesting stuff to say, but he kept yelling over people and interrupting. When exactly did he become a 'Conspiracy Theorist'? Is that what he was trying to convey with his Men In Black outfit? He looked like Tommy Lee Jones' annoying little brother.

Not the best of episodes. Merle looked like he didn't know where the hell he was.

I'm using you to fluff....

Belzer has ALWAYS been like that.... the dude is completely whacked!....... but in a good way, in my opinion. I wonder if he even knew they were putting up the title "Conspiracy Theorist" under his name. That made me laugh.
I'm surprised he took off his sunglasses. I don't know if he has a problem with lights or if he just wants to have a "trademark" look, but every interview I've seen him in he's wearing shades.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Drat - looks like I'll be watching Belzer on Monday.

Stay tuned....
Maui
WoWie

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Fievel wrote:Merle..... MERLE!!!!!
Satellite feed my ass... Merle likely wouldn't put the bong down!!!

He outed Hillary as being around marijuana!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!!
Fuck yeah!

Aside from that, his botched interview was hilarious.

Oh man!!! Bill was funny how he handled this. Are Merle and Trace Adkins related? hahahah

Maher on OJ (after Belzer's comment) - "he was framed and found guilty". tee hee hee

Mike Huckabee's campaign song - Life is a Highway...and I'm roadkill. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Was Belzer's comment on OJ for real? How the hell was he framed? If they 'threw everything at him', it was because of his OBVIOUS FUCKING GUILT. Bullshit.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Zarles wrote:Was Belzer's comment on OJ for real? How the hell was he framed? If they 'threw everything at him', it was because of his OBVIOUS FUCKING GUILT. Bullshit.

Agreed - it was a rather ridiculous comment from Belzer. His delivery seemed rather sincere when he made this remark. Maher was quick to jump on it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:Was Belzer's comment on OJ for real? How the hell was he framed? If they 'threw everything at him', it was because of his OBVIOUS FUCKING GUILT. Bullshit.

Agreed - it was a rather ridiculous comment from Belzer. His delivery seemed rather sincere when he made this remark. Maher was quick to jump on it.

It's obvious the cops fucked up the evidence in that case - it's how the murderer went free.
Saying that OJ was framed has been a conspiracy theory since the trial was in session.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:36 am

"STOP TOUCHING ME!!!!!!"

I love this show.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Fievel wrote:"STOP TOUCHING ME!!!!!!"

I love this show.

Ok, I can hardly wait to see this episode to see what you are referring to.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Fievel wrote:
Maui wrote:

It's obvious the cops fucked up the evidence in that case - it's how the murderer went free.
Saying that OJ was framed has been a conspiracy theory since the trial was in session.

They meant he was framed in the way that the police planted evidence and gave shoddy testimony in an attempt to clinch the guilty verdict. This backfired on the police obviously. If they would have left well enough alone, then Johnny Cochrane wouldn't be able to punch holes in the already substantial evidence and O.J. would be in prison. That's what Belzer meant when he said they framed a guilty man.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Alright, thanks for the clarification boys.

Perhaps a foggy moment for Maui.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:"STOP TOUCHING ME!!!!!!"

I love this show.

Ok, I can hardly wait to see this episode to see what you are referring to.

It's the pre-panel guest.... probably one of the funniest bits this season so far.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:21 am

New Rules is back!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Fievel wrote:New Rules is back!!!

thank zod.

the last new rule rocked so much, i had to pause it for about 5 minutes...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 am

(after commenting on Obama winning 8 democratic primaries in a row)

Seriously, this is the worse beating that a black man has given a woman since Ike Turner died.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Fievel wrote:
It's the pre-panel guest.... probably one of the funniest bits this season so far.

Yes, I did see this, very funny indeed.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:01 am

Wow did it seem like Bill really can't stand Hitchens at times or what? Yeah, they agreed on some things but Bill seemed annoyed by him most of the time.

Great to see Savage on again. I like him better than Taibi.

Also, two points for the quick slam on Scientology!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:15 pm

Fievel wrote:Wow did it seem like Bill really can't stand Hitchens at times or what? Yeah, they agreed on some things but Bill seemed annoyed by him most of the time.

I missed this last night - interesting Maher reveals his dislike for Hitchens, anxious to see that. I rather enjoy when Maher gives blank stares to those intellectual types like Trace Adkins.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:Wow did it seem like Bill really can't stand Hitchens at times or what? Yeah, they agreed on some things but Bill seemed annoyed by him most of the time.

I missed this last night - interesting Maher reveals his dislike for Hitchens, anxious to see that. I rather enjoy when Maher gives blank stares to those intellectual types like Trace Adkins.

He gave Hitchens "The Stare" more than once. Granted, he did say some "way out there" things, but given both of their perspectives on religion, you'd think Maher would have wanted to sit on Hitchens lap the entire show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:00 am

Hitchens is an idiot. Bill asks him, being the "authority" on religion, why does he think Evangelicals have such a high divorce rate. You know what hitchens replied with?

"Buddah was born from a slit in his mother's side"

what the hell was that. It sounded like a Ralph Wiggum moment. It's like the guy memorized a few sound bites on religion and is just regurgitating them on TV.

Savage is not funny or insightful or even well informed. Taibbi seems like a drunken frat boy, but at least he has a working knowledge of politics. I also really enjoy PJ O'Rourke.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Hitchens is an idiot. Bill asks him, being the "authority" on religion, why does he think Evangelicals have such a high divorce rate. You know what hitchens replied with?

what the hell was that. It sounded like a Ralph Wiggum moment. It's like the guy memorized a few sound bites on religion and is just regurgitating them on TV.

Savage is not funny or insightful or even well informed. Taibbi seems like a drunken frat boy, but at least he has a working knowledge of politics. I also really enjoy PJ O'Rourke.

Totally disagree with you about Savage on all three points, but will concede that his earlier appearance was much better. But I completely 110% agree with you about Taibbi. The "drunken frat boy" description is right on.
I extremely bummed that PJ was only used in the one show. I figured he would have been rotated with the other two if not a panelist like he usually is.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:32 pm

So do the people in this thread actually like Bill Maher, or just like the conversations/controversy that arises on his show? Because I honestly can't stand that fucker. He seems like such an asshole that it's hard for me to imagine anyone enjoying watching him.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:40 pm

I like him. I saw him in concert a few years ago and had a blast watching him.

BUT... having said that, when he goes off on a red-faced rant where he's just going and going and you wonder if the fucker's ever going to breathe... I don't care WHAT he's ranting about, I just get instantly annoyed. That's why I never listen to Talk Radio of any sort.
I agree with a lot of what he says, but I get annoyed by how he says it sometimes.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:So do the people in this thread actually like Bill Maher, or just like the conversations/controversy that arises on his show? Because I honestly can't stand that fucker. He seems like such an asshole that it's hard for me to imagine anyone enjoying watching him.

I really like Bill Maher. He is intelligent and very funny. Along with his panel and various political guests, it just makes for a very interesting and entertaining hour.

Some people prefer Jon Stewart over Maher, I like them both, but if I had to choose, I'd most certainly pick Maher.

He has done some rather tacky things though - going as Steve Irwin for Halloween. I wasn't impressed with that.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I just don't like how every question he answers always turns into a diatribe on how religion is evil.

What do you think of g@y rights? RELIGION IS EVIL
What about animal rights? RELIGION IS EVIL. IT'S DESTROYING AMERICA!
What about the upcoming election? RELIGION IS EVIL!

And then stuff like this:

Bill Maher wrote:To those people who say, `My father is alive because of animal experimentation,’ I say `Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.’ Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off.

WTF? If my dad is dying, and someone says "the only thing that will save him is if this dog dies, I'm sorry, but that's a dead fucking dog. I mean, do people honestly value human life so little that they are no better than some animal that licks its own balls and eats feces? C'mon folks.

When I first heard Maher say that I laughed, because I thought it was a joke. When I found out he was serious, I just got angry and changed the channel. It's a sad world when humans are valued so little by such a cynical man, and not only are people not kicking his ass for even thinking it, they are supporting him because it's "edgy." Bullshit. :roll:
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Well, I have no retort for that. :(

Except this:

Oh you know, we all talk out of our ass sometimes, as does Maher.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:WTF? If my dad is dying, and someone says "the only thing that will save him is if this dog dies, I'm sorry, but that's a dead fucking dog. I mean, do people honestly value human life so little that they are no better than some animal that licks its own balls and eats feces? C'mon folks.

When I first heard Maher say that I laughed, because I thought it was a joke. When I found out he was serious, I just got angry and changed the channel. It's a sad world when humans are valued so little by such a cynical man

Hardly. Though I'm not against vivisection as he is I value a dog well over a Human. Dogs atleast don't murder each other over a big invisible man in the sky. Ball licking and feces eating are nothing in comparison to the bullshit people pull on each other constantly.

Of course in Bill's hypothetical the dog has no choice in the matter and the dogs death doesn't really "save" anyone while it just delays the inevitable.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:51 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:WTF? If my dad is dying, and someone says "the only thing that will save him is if this dog dies, I'm sorry, but that's a dead fucking dog. I mean, do people honestly value human life so little that they are no better than some animal that licks its own balls and eats feces? C'mon folks.

When I first heard Maher say that I laughed, because I thought it was a joke. When I found out he was serious, I just got angry and changed the channel. It's a sad world when humans are valued so little by such a cynical man

Hardly. Though I'm not against vivisection as he is I value a dog well over a Human. Dogs atleast don't murder each other over a big invisible man in the sky. Ball licking and feces eating are nothing in comparison to the bullshit people pull on each other constantly.

Of course in Bill's hypothetical the dog has no choice in the matter and the dogs death doesn't really "save" anyone while it just delays the inevitable.

Not to mention that's an 8 year old quote from a magazine (US magazine, 1999). There's no context given. Yes, I like even more context given before I negatively judge someone that makes me laugh and that I share a lot of beliefs with. But it's a talk show with politics at its forefront. You're either going to watch because you agree or wish to be informed of another point of view, or you're going to not watch because everything said is the polar opposite of what you've been taught to believe.

I have comments regarding Maher and religion, but I'll save them for the EFBR at a later time. Perhaps in the God Thread. Needless to say, I agree with Maher.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:06 pm

Fievel wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Hit chens is an idiot. Bill asks him, being the "authority" on religion, why does he think Evangelicals have such a high divorce rate. You know what hitchens replied with?

Totally disagree with you about Savage on all three points, but will concede that his earlier appearance was much better. But I completely 110% agree with you about Taibbi. The "drunken frat boy" description is right on.
I extremely bummed that PJ was only used in the one show. I figured he would have been rotated with the other two if not a panelist like he usually is.

The thing about Savage, is I've heard all of his jokes already and they were told years ago, by funnier people. Whenever he does his real time journalism, he never talks about the topics, but just vague pop colture politics that I have once again already heard dozens of times. I want the guy to say something I haven't heard of. I also don't think its funny to joke about white guys with guns in front of black women, because they are black. The joke fell flat as well, because the black women probably already heard that joke a billion times by a billion different comedians. The difference being that the comedians were black and not saying it to a bunch of black women with actually white guys with guns around them. It's like me going to Savage at a Dumbledore rights rally and saying "Yeah, it would be a real shame if one of them cops over there really hated gays and decided to kill one of you later on".
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Zarles on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:07 pm

At worst, Bill is a smug Struggling Background Artist that really enjoys hearing himself talk. I like him and most of what he has to say, but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, there's rarely an onscreen moment with him where he doesn't seem immensely impressed with himself.

Also, I really hate the way he says 'Barack Obama', especially when he says it at the end of a sentence. I don't know why. He says it as if what he really wants to say is 'You're a fucking idiot if you don't agree with me and believe that this guy is the second coming of Christ'.

Get over yourself, Bill! And stop leering at and flirting with all your female panelists, too...
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:10 pm

Isn't Bill all Gung-Ho Hillary?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:10 pm

Zarles wrote:Get over yourself, Bill! And stop leering at and flirting with all your female panelists, too...

Matt Taibbi is not a female.

Oh, whoops.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Isn't Bill all Gung-Ho Hillary?

He was, but very quietly seemed to make the switch. I didn't even notice it until he was talking about Obama this past week.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Zarles on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:13 pm

I think he used to be, but now he just uses her to get people in the audience to yell 'Whoo!' a lot when he rips on her.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Fievel wrote:

He was, but very quietly seemed to make the switch. I didn't even notice it until he was talking about Obama this past week.

I'm not so sure he has made said switch since his correspondents for the last few weeks have been pulling the "name an achievement" thing on Obama supporters.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fievel wrote:

I'm not so sure he has made said switch since his correspondents for the last few weeks have been pulling the "name an achievement" thing on Obama supporters.

I haven't seen this week's show yet, but in the previous few, he's had his head pretty far up Obama's ass. Barack seems like an OK guy to me, too, but damn, Bill, if you wanna blow the guy, just fuckin' do it already.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 pm

[quote]Even “Real Timeâ€
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:20 pm

I think he is full of shit and supports whoever is popular.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:23 pm

No, no, no for the love of GOD!!!!!

Bash Maher somewhere else!!! EFBR???

Not in here!!!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

This is like going into the Dexter thread and saying Dexter sucks.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:25 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I think he is full of shit and supports whoever is popular.

Agreed. I think that's why Bill's onscreen personality doesn't always work for me - he seems like more of a huckster than a real journalistic presence. I realize that at heart he's a comedian, but if you're going to have a political talk show with real political people on it and sit around and talk politics, quit with the 'Amirite folks?!!!1!' pandering to the audience.

His stage audience seems to be a mixture of the upper-class liberal and the college kid bonghit crowd, and it's blatantly obvious sometimes that what he says during the show is solely said to get them riled up. Annoying.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Bill Maher used to be for John Edwards, but Edwards dropped out of the race.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 pm

Maui wrote:No, no, no for the love of GOD!!!!!

Bash Maher somewhere else!!! EFBR???

Not in here!!!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

This is like going into the Dexter thread and saying Dexter sucks.

So Joe Scarborough is on next week (don't remember who else).
He's usually a fun one. He and Maher will get into it.

George Carlin has a special coming up on HBO.
I wonder if he'll appear on Bill's show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Fievel wrote:

Now that would be funny to see Carlin on there. I still remember that episode with Shandling and Penn. I think I giggled along with them the entire time. 2nd home in Iraq. hah!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Carlin was supposed to be on the episode when the Writer's Strike started.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Maui wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Now that would be funny to see Carlin on there. I still remember that episode with Shandling and Penn. I think I giggled along with them the entire time. 2nd home in Iraq. hah!

I thought Carlin & Maher would be a match made in heaven, but the last time he was on there he was in such a bitter, pissed-off mood that I didn't really enjoy (or get much out of) him being there. Maybe he needs to dip into Bill's stash beforehand... or maybe not smoke so much of it. Who knows.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Zarles on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:03 am

I wouldn't expect George to be anything BUT pissed-off and bitter in a political climate like the one we've had for the past seven years. Hell, I'D be pissed-off and bitter if he weren't.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

Sorta like Merle Haggard's interview.

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*pause*

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:18 am

He wasn't even that coherent.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:23 am

Merle was high AND had technical/link-up issues.
A dangerous combination, for sure.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:26 am

Merle also didn't give a shit about any of the questions Maher was asking.

Bill: Hey Merle, why did you write a song for so and so politician.
Merle: Because someone payed me to do it, next.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Maui on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 am

I'm watching MAHER NOW!!!! :shock:

President Charles in Charge
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial